HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best Sports Bars in Edmonton

Old
02-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Krut

vCash: 500
Best Sports Bars in Edmonton

What is the best sports bar in Edmonton for actually watching the game? I don't really care about food quality, but more the number of TV's, do they have the volume loud enough, etc.

I've been comissioned to to find a good bar to go to for the Olympic hockey, but for a tournament that happens once every four years, I don't want to be stuck with a poor viewing experience.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:12 PM
laclipper

I always like Hudson's on Whyte...the siren they flip on for Oiler goals is cool. I'm sure it will be packed for team Canada hockey games.

laclipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Ghostbuster

I like the Canadian Brewhouse for my sports needs. Also Overtime on the southside is nice, but it's small.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post

What is the best sports bar in Edmonton for actually watching the game? I don't really care about food quality, but more the number of TV's, do they have the volume loud enough, etc.
How many people are going? Do they need / prefer to sit at the same table?

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
How many people are going? Do they need / prefer to sit at the same table?
Theres going to be four of us, and ya same table is needed.

Old
02-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:

Theres going to be four of us, and ya same table is needed.
There is this fairly classy lounge with pool tables everywhere on the south west corner of 103 Avenue & (I'm guessing) 107 Street.... Maybe 106 Street....

The raised booths comfortably sit two per side - right above the heads of the people sitting across from you are good sized TV screens...

Interesting concept - I was impressed....

Old
02-03-2010, 12:38 PM
jsho

What part of the city? Downtown The Pint is suppose to be good for games, but it will probably be pretty packed. Brewhouse is good (west-end), the new southside one isnít very good for view points. Shanks has tvís everywhere, but all project with so-so quality.

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:47 PM
laclipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
What part of the city? Downtown The Pint is suppose to be good for games, but it will probably be pretty packed. Brewhouse is good (west-end), the new southside one isnít very good for view points. Shanks has tvís everywhere, but all project with so-so quality.
Yeah Shanks really needs a facelift...we went there last year to try and watch a game, but the atmosphere was brutal and the T.V's were pretty bad. The Shark Club is okay if you're on the west-end. Althought somebody told me it shut down, does anyone know?

Old
02-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
I like the Canadian Brewhouse for my sports needs. Also Overtime on the southside is nice, but it's small.
How are the TVs, food, size, etc?

Would you recommend it for the Superbowl?

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:01 PM
ekcut

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
What place has the best wings? Nacho's? Desersts?

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:03 PM
TigerWoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by laclipper View Post
Yeah Shanks really needs a facelift...we went there last year to try and watch a game, but the atmosphere was brutal and the T.V's were pretty bad. The Shark Club is okay if you're on the west-end. Althought somebody told me it shut down, does anyone know?
It must have been doing brutal if it was shut down. Nicest looking place I've been to to go watch a game. Almost felt too high end for me to watch hockey.

TigerWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:10 PM
jsho

Quote:

Yeah Im not sure how it is for hockey games. I went there last year and the first couple weeks of this NFL seasons. I only went there because my options were slim for places with Sunday ticket. But it definitely needs an upgrade there. None of the projectors were that great for clarity, and I watched most games on the tvs above the bar that arenít that big.

Yeah, Shark Club closed down. It was a pretty good place for games as they had a ton of tvs and you could see a game from anywhere. Apparently some pretty piss pour management occurred which is unfortunate because it was a decent place.

Old
02-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:

I like the Canadian Brewhouse for my sports needs.
I think there is a Canadian Brewhouse on 97 Street on the north east corner of 128 Avenue; went there once & will never go back...

The volume was so loud that my wife & I couldn't carry on a conversation even though we were sitting next to each other....

Obviously we were in the minority since the place was packed......

Old
02-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
There is this fairly classy lounge with pool tables everywhere on the south west corner of 103 Avenue & (I'm guessing) 107 Street.... Maybe 106 Street....

The raised booths comfortably sit two per side - right above the heads of the people sitting across from you are good sized TV screens...

Interesting concept - I was impressed....
Sounds cool. What's this place called?

Old
02-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Krut

Quote:
Yeah Im not sure how it is for hockey games. I went there last year and the first couple weeks of this NFL seasons. I only went there because my options were slim for places with Sunday ticket. But it definitely needs an upgrade there. None of the projectors were that great for clarity, and I watched most games on the tvs above the bar that arenít that big.

Yeah, Shark Club closed down. It was a pretty good place for games as they had a ton of tvs and you could see a game from anywhere. Apparently some pretty piss pour management occurred which is unfortunate because it was a decent place.
What? I was just on the shark club website and they were Advertising for th super bowl on Sunday.

Old
02-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:

Sounds cool. What's this place called?
I have absolutely no idea.... If you head west on 103 Avenue, it is impossible to miss - it will be on your left hand side... The building is set back with parking in front of the building - that makes it stand out...

My friend took me there once (my wife & I have gone back a few times); food is good & ambiance is friendly. Mostly a younger crowd (under 30) but there is none of the macho stuff you get on White Avenue...

We were very impressed...

Old
02-03-2010, 01:16 PM
laclipper

Quote:

Man you would think that a place with Great T.V's, decent food, good location and hot waitresses would work
Was KLowe managing the place?

Old
02-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Original Joes is a great place. Smaller but the food there is awesome. Relatively cheap and sure to fill you up. Sometimes I go there for dinner when a game isn't on due to their great food.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:22 PM
jsho

Quote:
What? I was just on the shark club website and they were Advertising for th super bowl on Sunday.
They must have updated for all locations or something then. Iím pretty positive its done.

Quote:
Man you would think that a place with Great T.V's, decent food, good location and hot waitresses would work
Was KLowe managing the place?
Well in a way isnít he kinda responsibleÖ If the Oilers did well this year maybe, a lot more people would care about watching the game and would go there for games. I did go there for 1 ppv gameÖbut only one. So really we now know who and what to blame.

Old
02-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Otherwise the only other good place to go is Tommy's Sports Bar in Beaumont.

Pfft..........I can't even type that with a straight face.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Quote:
Brewhouse in the west end is my favorite place to go. Tons of tv's, a good amount of seating space (just get there a little early cause it tends to get busy), and the volume is always loud enough.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:42 PM
ekcut

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Otherwise the only other good place to go is Tommy's Sports Bar in Beaumont.

Pfft..........I can't even type that with a straight face.
I didn't see the bottom line of your post, i darn near broke the scroll wheel on my mouse scrolling down to the bottom to find the reply button to ask you if you bumped your head!

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:42 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Original Joes is a great place. Smaller but the food there is awesome. Relatively cheap and sure to fill you up. Sometimes I go there for dinner when a game isn't on due to their great food.

agreed. The one that opened in sherwood park is a nice walk from my place and that means I can go and drink/eat/whatever without worry about cab fare or being the DD.

The food is pretty awesome though, their pulled pork sandwiches are fantastic, they have a really good in-house beer and the hot wings are top notch.

ugh, now I want to go there for supper. DAMNIT

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:44 PM
smithboy89

My favourite place in the City is Uncle Glenn's.

They don't have great TV's, but they pull down a projector screen for hockey games, and it's pretty good. It doesn't get too busy so you can still talk to your friends. It's on the West End in Rio Terrace.

Oh, not to mention they have great pizza (wood fired oven) and free popcorn and peanuts for all AND you get to throw the peanut shells on the ground.

It's the Cheers of Edmonton.

smithboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:48 PM
27theROCK

For those of you who havent been or do not know, the best place in Edmonton is Player sports lounge! It is a place I just started checking out and it is amazing! Huge tvs everywhere you look and every NHL game always on. Place has like 10 satalites so able to have that many diffrent feeds.

Top notch. Google it and trust me you wont be dissapointed.. oh and its on the south side, hard to notice it but the inside is amazing!

27theROCK is offline   Reply With Quote