HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you like Jacques Martin as Habs coach?

View Poll Results: Do you like Jacques Martin as Habs coach?
Yes 105 42.00%
No 145 58.00%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-05-2011, 01:18 AM
  #126
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,007
vCash: 500
If they keep their 2-man forecheck, and keep the puck instead of dumping it during a change I'm for whatever coach we have. Martin or Torterella, as long as the system is entertaining and professional I'm for it. I could care less how much "energy" the coach shows, there's good and bad with every personality.

I just don't see JM sticking with "fun" hockey as soon as we lose a game though. He shuffles his lines too much, and unlike Carbo who did it out of necessity , JM has lots of talent to deal with.

I'm not happy with his coaching STYLE so far but his results have been better than that and don't/didn't warrant a firing from a patient franchise such as ours. I was still calling for his head because I am not as patient or trusting in JM as Gauthier is but that's why I'm not a GM I suppose.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 05:40 PM
  #127
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
If they keep their 2-man forecheck, and keep the puck instead of dumping it during a change I'm for whatever coach we have. Martin or Torterella, as long as the system is entertaining and professional I'm for it. I could care less how much "energy" the coach shows, there's good and bad with every personality.

I just don't see JM sticking with "fun" hockey as soon as we lose a game though. He shuffles his lines too much, and unlike Carbo who did it out of necessity , JM has lots of talent to deal with.

I'm not happy with his coaching STYLE so far but his results have been better than that and don't/didn't warrant a firing from a patient franchise such as ours. I was still calling for his head because I am not as patient or trusting in JM as Gauthier is but that's why I'm not a GM I suppose.
I'm sorry, when the **** was putting Laraque on top lines a necessity? Give me a ****ing break.

Martin has been emphasizing aggressive 2-man forecheck since the slump, but it will slowly fade into the 2-2-1 collapse into our own end. Can't fire him on a winning streak, but still hoping.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 07:24 PM
  #128
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis
 
Chris Pronger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,259
vCash: 50
you should have asked this question 1 week earlier...it would be 90% "no"

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 07:42 PM
  #129
donghabs98
Moderator
 
donghabs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,825
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldozer View Post
Hope the Red Wings get to the bottom & stay there until they fire Mike Babcock!

And the Habs fire Jacques Martin & hire the then former Detroit coach to bring him back closer to McGill...

(Ohh yeah, this probably won't happen...because, if he would be fired Yzerman would call before "Monday"Gauthier...)

Still, finger crossed!
guy boucher then

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:04 PM
  #130
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I'm sorry, when the **** was putting Laraque on top lines a necessity? Give me a ****ing break.

Martin has been emphasizing aggressive 2-man forecheck since the slump, but it will slowly fade into the 2-2-1 collapse into our own end. Can't fire him on a winning streak, but still hoping.
The two man forecheck has disappeared into our distant memories.

Back to the token one man skate-around without any real pressure.

Meanwhile, the Rangers schooled us with their aggressive two-man forecheck.

Amazing what this team could do with a coach who believed that aggressive hockey belongs in Montreal.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:06 PM
  #131
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
The two man forecheck has disappeared into our distant memories.

Back to the token one man skate-around without any real pressure.

Meanwhile, the Rangers schooled us with their aggressive two-man forecheck.

Amazing what this team could do with a coach who believed that aggressive hockey belongs in Montreal.
Someone should do a study, tallying post counts of certain posters post-losses and post-wins.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:15 PM
  #132
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
The two man forecheck has disappeared into our distant memories.

Back to the token one man skate-around without any real pressure.

Meanwhile, the Rangers schooled us with their aggressive two-man forecheck.

Amazing what this team could do with a coach who believed that aggressive hockey belongs in Montreal.
What did you do wait beside your keyboard for our 4 game win streak to end to point out your simplistic views? We came within a hair of coming back from a 3-0 deficit.

Rangers schooled us?

Jigger77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:17 PM
  #133
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Someone should do a study, tallying post counts of certain posters post-losses and post-wins.
Start a thread. You are good at starting threads like your Toughness thread with its "analysis".

How's your back? Should hurt from propping up ole Jacques so much.

And you overlooked my main point of my last post and maybe you can explain it to me.....................Where did the two man forecheck disappear to?

Will wait for your answer.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:20 PM
  #134
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
What did you do wait beside your keyboard for our 4 game win streak to end to point out your simplistic views? We came within a hair of coming back from a 3-0 deficit.

Rangers schooled us?
Sorta like the simplistic excuses for coming within one goal from beating the Stanley Cup Champions in the first round exit.

Newsflash. I believe Jacques Martin is wrong for this team, whether we win a game or two or lose a game or two. In the end, we will be exactly where we have been for the last 18 years.......watching two OTHER teams play for the Cup.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:22 PM
  #135
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Sorta like the simplistic excuses for coming within one goal from beating the Stanley Cup Champions in the first round exit.

Newsflash. I believe Jacques Martin is wrong for this team, whether we win a game or two or lose a game or two. In the end, we will be exactly where we have been for the last 18 years.......watching two OTHER teams play for the Cup.
Good luck with that.

Jigger77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:23 PM
  #136
shao01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,290
vCash: 500
I do like the fact that Jacques Martin showed some emotions tonight when the dumbass refs screwed the Habs, wish he would do it more often.

shao01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:34 PM
  #137
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Good luck with that.

Do you love seeing 11 teams ahead of us in the standings? And Winnipeg is tied with us for 12/13.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 09:44 PM
  #138
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Do you love seeing 11 teams ahead of us in the standings? And Winnipeg is tied with us for 12/13.
No I don't. Maybe you should become the coach?

2 man forecheck all the time! No matter how good a transition team you're playing. Don't worry about getting guys caught deep it's only Gaborik, Callahan and Brad Richards on the other side.

Oh, and it's never that the coaching staff asks for something but the players don't respond either. It's only the coaches fault right?

Getting 7 penalties in a row called against you might cool off that 2 man forcheck don't you think? Make you a little more hesitant? Start to get frustrated and not play well?

Even then, Habs had 16 shots against 3 in the first, despite that they came out flying in the second and literally came within a post of tying the game on that Cole shot. Most of these occasions were caused by a neutral zone trap where the Rangers spit the puck up constantly. But no, don't give the coaching staff any credit for straightening things out during the intermission.



Oh my God there wasn't two bodies crashing in deep behind the net the entire game! Fire Martin!

Jigger77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:51 PM
  #139
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
The two man forecheck has disappeared into our distant memories.

Back to the token one man skate-around without any real pressure.

Meanwhile, the Rangers schooled us with their aggressive two-man forecheck.

Amazing what this team could do with a coach who believed that aggressive hockey belongs in Montreal.
The Rangers looked horrible. If the Refs weren't wearing blue shirts the game would have been entirely different. 9 minutes into the game and the Rangers already had 4 PPs, including a 5-3, and none of it was due to any type of forecheck. As for us, kind of tough to get some good forecheck going when you spend 18min on the PK. You realize that's almost a full period? And yet the Rangers needed to score an empty net goal with less than a minute to go in order to beat us.
They finished with 7 more PPs, and only one shot more. Not sure how you feel the Rangers schooled us, I thought they played really poorly. If this is the way they play on most nights, they won't make the POs this year.


Not surprised by your position though, your record has been in a loop since, as far as I can remember. However, I'd bet anything and everything that if the roles were reversed, if we were the ones getting 7 more PPs, only one shot more, and needing an empty netter, to beat the NYR, then you'd be all over the Habs saying how crappy we looked, how we sat on a lead and don't have any ''killer instinct''. But seeing how it's the Rangers, you think they schooled us.

Rather comical. Can't really take you seriously anymore, I've been way too patient, despite you repeatedly making it clear that you have very little understanding of the game. I'll just keep reading them whenever I need a comic relief.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:19 PM
  #140
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The Rangers looked horrible. If the Refs weren't wearing blue shirts the game would have been entirely different. 9 minutes into the game and the Rangers already had 4 PPs, including a 5-3, and none of it was due to any type of forecheck. As for us, kind of tough to get some good forecheck going when you spend 18min on the PK. You realize that's almost a full period? And yet the Rangers needed to score an empty net goal with less than a minute to go in order to beat us.
They finished with 7 more PPs, and only one shot more. Not sure how you feel the Rangers schooled us, I thought they played really poorly. If this is the way they play on most nights, they won't make the POs this year.


Not surprised by your position though, your record has been in a loop since, as far as I can remember. However, I'd bet anything and everything that if the roles were reversed, if we were the ones getting 7 more PPs, only one shot more, and needing an empty netter, to beat the NYR, then you'd be all over the Habs saying how crappy we looked, how we sat on a lead and don't have any ''killer instinct''. But seeing how it's the Rangers, you think they schooled us.

Rather comical. Can't really take you seriously anymore, I've been way too patient, despite you repeatedly making it clear that you have very little understanding of the game. I'll just keep reading them whenever I need a comic relief.
Kriss, if you look up at the top of this page, a poster named WhiskeySeven said the same thing about the two man forecheck that we were using a couple of games ago......which is now gone.

Does he have very little understanding of the game.

Same holds for the numerous other posters who have mentioned the exact same thing. Are we all clueless?

Meanwhile, in the third period, when we only had ONE penalty called against us, our passes were not sharp and not tape to tape. The Rangers forecheck kept pressure on our DMen and more often than not we were barely able to anything other than dump the puck in and I am the clueless one.

Throw out the first period. **** happens, the refs hate this team and it is what it is. We came back in the 2nd and had every opportunity to beat the Rangers......if we would have played the same aggressive style as we did against the Flyers and the Bruins post-Pearn. But no, Martin has defaulted to the only system that he knows....one forechecker who is doing nothing more than skating around with no pressure. We became the pressured team instead of the team applying the pressure.

And the result was predictable. And the replies to my criticism of Martin was predictable as well.

Will I see you jumping on the fire Martin bandwagon again later on this season? I saw you jump on it and then suddenly jump off of it after winning 4 games. Cmon Kriss, be a man of conviction. Take a stand and then stick to it. If you dont, you begin to look like a fanboy.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:21 PM
  #141
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,906
vCash: 500
Anybody else believe that Tom Renney will go out of his way to matchup the Eberle - RNH - Hall line against Hal Gill on Tuesday? It could be ugly.

So I wonder if JM will sit big Hal for the game. But I assume he won't.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:43 PM
  #142
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Kriss, if you look up at the top of this page, a poster named WhiskeySeven said the same thing about the two man forecheck that we were using a couple of games ago......which is now gone.

Does he have very little understanding of the game.

Same holds for the numerous other posters who have mentioned the exact same thing. Are we all clueless?

Meanwhile, in the third period, when we only had ONE penalty called against us, our passes were not sharp and not tape to tape. The Rangers forecheck kept pressure on our DMen and more often than not we were barely able to anything other than dump the puck in and I am the clueless one.

Throw out the first period. **** happens, the refs hate this team and it is what it is. We came back in the 2nd and had every opportunity to beat the Rangers......if we would have played the same aggressive style as we did against the Flyers and the Bruins post-Pearn. But no, Martin has defaulted to the only system that he knows....one forechecker who is doing nothing more than skating around with no pressure. We became the pressured team instead of the team applying the pressure.

And the result was predictable. And the replies to my criticism of Martin was predictable as well.

Will I see you jumping on the fire Martin bandwagon again later on this season? I saw you jump on it and then suddenly jump off of it after winning 4 games. Cmon Kriss, be a man of conviction. Take a stand and then stick to it. If you dont, you begin to look like a fanboy.
You mean the two last periods where we outshot the Rangers 25 to 13? Ya, we were really sitting on our heels.

I don't know when I jumped on the fire Martin bandwagon, but apparently I did, so I don't think you should have much trouble finding me the quotes where I say Martin must go. I said there are things I disagree with, but I never said he needed to go. Matter of fact, I said we would win our next 3 games starting versus the Flyers, before the Pearn firing. You can find that post in the GDT of the Flyers in the early pages. So, not sure how I'd say this and be on the fire Martin bandwagon.
But I'm not surprised you resolve to such a petty response.

Fact is, you really don't like Martin. Instead of giving the Habs credit for battling, coming back from a 3-0 deficit, and dominating the Rangers after giving up 16 shots vs 3 in the first, you will say the Rangers schooled us, which is kind of pathetic really and very far from the truth. Try to rewatch the game without any bias. You should be able to see things a lot more clearly.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:52 PM
  #143
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You mean the two last periods where we outshot the Rangers 25 to 13? Ya, we were really sitting on our heels.

I don't know when I jumped on the fire Martin bandwagon, but apparently I did, so I don't think you should have much trouble finding me the quotes where I say Martin must go. I said there are things I disagree with, but I never said he needed to go. Matter of fact, I said we would win our next 3 games starting versus the Flyers, before the Pearn firing. You can find that post in the GDT of the Flyers in the early pages. So, not sure how I'd say this and be on the fire Martin bandwagon.
But I'm not surprised you resolve to such a petty response.

Fact is, you really don't like Martin. Instead of giving the Habs credit for battling, coming back from a 3-0 deficit, and dominating the Rangers after giving up 16 shots vs 3 in the first, you will say the Rangers schooled us, which is kind of pathetic really.
Question for you. And lets make it civil and not personal. I acknowledge your hockey smarts.

Would the game turned out differently had the Rangers not fore-checked so aggressively? Would the Canadiens have done better if they (Rangers) used a very passive fore-check?

Thanks.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:06 AM
  #144
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Start a thread. You are good at starting threads like your Toughness thread with its "analysis".
I'm not sure why you're laughing. I came to realise that habsjunkie2 was the only one truly interested in such a venture from the 'pro-toughness' crowd and that the majority were ... unwilling, for the lack of a 'nice' term, to properly engage in any real discussion. So there was no analysis in that thread; just circular arguments and personal shots from various individuals. (not unlike the post I've quoted, even!) Nevertheless, I've kept a tally on things myself (which is what that thread was intended for), and the results thus far are as expected.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:57 PM
  #145
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,883
vCash: 500
JM is doing pretty good with the lack of elite scoring talent on the team.
That said I hate his personality.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 02:44 PM
  #146
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Question for you. And lets make it civil and not personal. I acknowledge your hockey smarts.

Would the game turned out differently had the Rangers not fore-checked so aggressively? Would the Canadiens have done better if they (Rangers) used a very passive fore-check?

Thanks.
The Habs would have won the game had they played the exact same way under different officiating.
Give it a rest already. 9 times on the PK, one shot less than the opposition, three goals and probably more scoring chances. The system isn't to blame.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 06:03 PM
  #147
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I'm not sure why you're laughing. I came to realise that habsjunkie2 was the only one truly interested in such a venture from the 'pro-toughness' crowd and that the majority were ... unwilling, for the lack of a 'nice' term, to properly engage in any real discussion. So there was no analysis in that thread; just circular arguments and personal shots from various individuals. (not unlike the post I've quoted, even!) Nevertheless, I've kept a tally on things myself (which is what that thread was intended for), and the results thus far are as expected.
I most likely agree with your analysis mike. I don't think lack of toughness has played a role in this early season at all. I still would like to address it a bit though, especially on the back end, not necessarily a fighter type, but a strong dman capable of playing 20+ minutes a night, sort of Roman Hamrlik like.

The team has played tough every game this year. I actually like what I see to this point in that regard. Seems size might of been the missing ingredient more so than toughness. Cole and Pacioretty do wonders for our smallish skilled players.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:19 PM
  #148
LesHabsRock
Registered User
 
LesHabsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
God himself could be the coach and you would all want him fired. Martin has done a great job especially with post season success despite our defensemen dropping like flies due to injury. Martin's system allows a team concept and attention to team defense. As long as players buy into the system the team can fight through injuries to key personnel like they have the last two years and still be successful.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:23 PM
  #149
LesHabsRock
Registered User
 
LesHabsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I most likely agree with your analysis mike. I don't think lack of toughness has played a role in this early season at all. I still would like to address it a bit though, especially on the back end, not necessarily a fighter type, but a strong dman capable of playing 20+ minutes a night, sort of Roman Hamrlik like.

The team has played tough every game this year. I actually like what I see to this point in that regard. Seems size might of been the missing ingredient more so than toughness. Cole and Pacioretty do wonders for our smallish skilled players.
I disagree. The Habs have gotten bigger this year. Every line has at least one big forward. Two scoring lines each have a big power forward who can score. Guys like Moen, Eller and Kostitsyn make for a big line who forecheck very well and it's evident in their numbers. That imo is a very difficult line to handle for any team. A big part of their game this year is an aggressive forecheck. This isn't the smurf team we've known in the past. And the sooner people get that out of their heads and accept our new bigger team, the better.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:18 PM
  #150
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I most likely agree with your analysis mike. I don't think lack of toughness has played a role in this early season at all. I still would like to address it a bit though, especially on the back end, not necessarily a fighter type, but a strong dman capable of playing 20+ minutes a night, sort of Roman Hamrlik like.

The team has played tough every game this year. I actually like what I see to this point in that regard. Seems size might of been the missing ingredient more so than toughness. Cole and Pacioretty do wonders for our smallish skilled players.
I didn't like the Cole signing because of his age but I loved the fact that we finally brought in a large physical forward.

He got off to a slow start and looked invisible for the first few games but he's picked it up and played well for us lately. And the great thing about a physical forward is that even when he doesn't score he works as a catalyst and gets the team going. Cole has been a sparkplug lately and he's been better than I hoped he would be.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.