HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bolts Average Age

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2011, 07:49 PM
ultra63

vCash: 500
Bolts Average Age

At 28.88 the Bolts are the 3rd oldest NHL team. Of course Detroit is the oldest at 29.25 and Roloson must hurt our average. Are we in rebuilding mode or do we need to win now with St Louis and our old defense?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/teams_...eID=7&sort=age

Old
10-30-2011, 08:21 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post
At 28.88 the Bolts are the 3rd oldest NHL team. Of course Detroit is the oldest at 29.25 and Roloson must hurt our average. Are we in rebuilding mode or do we need to win now with St Louis and our old defense?

Win now for sure.

Old
10-30-2011, 08:26 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

We just made the ECF last season with almost the same team. There's no way we are in rebuilding mode. We're trying to win a cup.

Old
10-30-2011, 10:29 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
We just made the ECF last season with almost the same team. There's no way we are in rebuilding mode. We're trying to win a cup.
Which made our offseason "strategy" all the more confusing.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Agreed, rebuilding you are not. The team will have to keep adding pieces via FA or the draft. That way you'll be younger.

If the Lightning are rebuilding, what in the world are Edmonton and the Isles doing?

10-31-2011, 12:09 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Which made our offseason "strategy" all the more confusing.
Looking at our lineup from the playoffs except for Bergenheim all of our big scorers are still here. Roli and Brewer played big parts and came back. We really only needed to add complementary players. I'm sure there will be more expected out of guys like Stamkos too who now have gone through the playoffs once.

The market during free agency was set high. I'm kinda happy we didn't get involved with some of those big bids. Yzerman can still make deals throughout the year like he did last season. It might of been better to wait for the prices to drop as the season continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Agreed, rebuilding you are not. The team will have to keep adding pieces via FA or the draft. That way you'll be younger.

If the Lightning are rebuilding, what in the world are Edmonton and the Isles doing?
As said in the OP Roloson has a lot to do with it. This could be his last season in the NHL or with us. The Defense is old and other than Barberio and Gudas we don't really have any D prospects close to being ready. That's the only thing that really scares me. But the drafting has been good the past couple of years which is a nice change. All of our first picks in the 07, 08, 09, and 10 drafts are NHL players with Tyrell (22) Stamkos (21) Hedman (20) and Connolly (19). It looks like another 1st rounder in Ashton is heading in the right direction too

Old
10-31-2011, 01:48 AM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Looking at our lineup from the playoffs except for Bergenheim all of our big scorers are still here. Roli and Brewer played big parts and came back. We really only needed to add complementary players. I'm sure there will be more expected out of guys like Stamkos too who now have gone through the playoffs once.

The market during free agency was set high. I'm kinda happy we didn't get involved with some of those big bids. Yzerman can still make deals throughout the year like he did last season. It might of been better to wait for the prices to drop as the season continues.
Not trying to dispute the fact that the market was bad, but we didn't make any moves that would suggest that we're "going for it" this year. We lost one of our best and most mobile defensemen, and brought in 2 blueliners who were nothing short of awful in their NHL careers up until the point we signed them. Furthermore, we did not adequately replace Gagne and Bergenheim.

I think Yzerman is trying to be methodical and our true cup contention years are in the near future, but not this season. I just don't see how we can compete when we've got a very questionable defense in front of an aging goalie, and in my opinion we'll need more than one substantial addition to get to where we did last season.

Old
10-31-2011, 01:56 AM
IdealisticSniper

Last year and this year are, should make the playoffs and look for magic to happen. It almost did last year.

Next year I believe will be the first year Yzerman will be looking to set the team up for a complete Cup run. We have a lot of contracts coming off the books, and a LOT of good UFA defensemen will be available to fill out the defensive side. As for goalies I truly believe we will see a trade for one of Schneider or Bernier in the off season IF they dont like what they see in Tokarski in the AHL this year, or if they think he is still a few years off. Garon will be a solid backup again next year.

Then just plug a couple of holes in the offense with a smart signing and we are fine.

We definitely arent rebuilding, but I think Yzerman is looking at win now mode starting next season, while playing his cards right and setting his table for a great offseason. All signs are pointing to that IMO.

Old
10-31-2011, 07:33 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:

Perpetually sucking.

The whole concept of 'rebuilding' vs. 'win now' is the crutch of team managements to justify to their fans why the team is bad.

If you were to look at the average age, it'd say 'win now', given that to the typical team, there's a window of opportunity that opens and closes cyclically.

We shattered that ****ing window and we will come and go as we please. Only lack of intensity and structure (and refs) will convince us to leave.

We even set up a doggy door for Marty.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-31-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old
10-31-2011, 08:08 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Average age is a silly thing to go off of.

Old
10-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Ten88Nineteen

The Lightning are in a good position both for the current season and for the future. There's a healthy mix of young and old talent, and the only real question mark for the future is whether or not Tokarski settles the goaltending issue.

Old
10-31-2011, 11:07 AM
DangleDoppler

Quote:
We lost one of our best and most mobile defensemen
I knew you secretly liked Randy Jones

Old
10-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Rschmitz

Only two guys creeping up in age that I'm remotely concerned about. Ohlund, has three years left on his deal and is banged up. And St.Louis isn't going to play forever.

Average age is not a very telling statistic. Roloson, Kubina, Clark, Hall, and Moore are all scheduled to enter free agency this offseason, and that would easily put us in the bottom third of the league in just one offseason. And what does age itself tell, that we are a slow team? We are amongst the fastest in the league.

Old
10-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Not trying to dispute the fact that the market was bad, but we didn't make any moves that would suggest that we're "going for it" this year. We lost one of our best and most mobile defensemen, and brought in 2 blueliners who were nothing short of awful in their NHL careers up until the point we signed them. Furthermore, we did not adequately replace Gagne and Bergenheim.

I think Yzerman is trying to be methodical and our true cup contention years are in the near future, but not this season. I just don't see how we can compete when we've got a very questionable defense in front of an aging goalie, and in my opinion we'll need more than one substantial addition to get to where we did last season.
Lundin was useless in the playoffs, he couldn't handle the physicality. For someone that seems to love the "tough" side of the game, you sure do like(d) Lundin a lot. He went from playing on the top pairing to playing less than 15 minutes on the bottom pairing next to Bergeron. Yzerman was wise to walk away actually, that's a drastic regression.

^ And St. Louis isn't going to play forever? Are you high? Of course he will.

Old
10-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Perpetually sucking.

The whole concept of 'rebuilding' vs. 'win now' is the crutch of team managements to justify to their fans why the team is bad.

If you were to look at the average age, it'd say 'win now', given that to the typical team, there's a window of opportunity that opens and closes cyclically.

We shattered that ****ing window and we will come and go as we please. Only lack of intensity and structure (and refs) will convince us to leave.

We even set up a doggy door for Marty.
Thanks a lot. It can be painful being an Islander fan sometimes, but I just don't want to give up on them. Hopefully their are better years ahead.

Old
10-31-2011, 02:19 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Yeah we didn't do anything to put us over the top. It still remains to be seen how good Shannon and Connolly are by the end of the year, but it will be hard to replace what Bergenheim did in the p.o. He came out of no where. But if (and a lot of ifs) Stamkos can be a top player now, and the guys who were playoff rookies can take what they learned and we stay healthy, we'll be good.

Quote:
I agree. I don't think he's going to go out and add like the Caps did. He's definetely thinking about continually making the playoffs instead of going hard just one year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
Average age is a silly thing to go off of.
Si.
Quote:
Thanks a lot. It can be painful being an Islander fan sometimes, but I just don't want to give up on them. Hopefully their are better years ahead.
I think they have a bright future. It must be hard to wait and stay patient waiting for them to break out, but I think it will come sooner rather than later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Lundin was useless in the playoffs, he couldn't handle the physicality. For someone that seems to love the "tough" side of the game, you sure do like(d) Lundin a lot. He went from playing on the top pairing to playing less than 15 minutes on the bottom pairing next to Bergeron. Yzerman was wise to walk away actually, that's a drastic regression.

^ And St. Louis isn't going to play forever? Are you high? Of course he will.

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 10-31-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old
10-31-2011, 04:53 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangleDoppler View Post
I knew you secretly liked Randy Jones
There have been times this season where I almost wanted him back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Yeah, good thing we have Gilroy and Gervais to make up for Lundin's superb mobility and positional play. I know they're also known for being able to handle the physical game very well, so I am reassured by your post.

Not.

Old
10-31-2011, 06:04 PM
ultra63

Quote:

Yeah, good thing we have Gilroy and Gervais to make up for Lundin's superb mobility and positional play. I know they're also known for being able to handle the physical game very well, so I am reassured by your post.

Not.
Lundin was fine in the last regular season here and his contract this year was a bargain for Minnesota- except for his bad back!

Last edited by ultra63: 10-31-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old
11-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:

Caught ya, you can't take back your words!

Old
11-02-2011, 02:48 AM
Oilrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post

This isn't a serious question, is it? I'm pretty sure after being one win away from the stanley cup finals last year, they are more of a win now type of team. That said, I think Yzerman is smart enough not to sacrifice the future for right now, and will pick and choose players carefully.

Old
11-03-2011, 01:04 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschmitz View Post
Caught ya, you can't take back your words!
People seem to forget how often I said I liked Jones.

Old
11-03-2011, 01:11 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Its super easy for two to three guys to skew this.

Roloson, Marty, Mattias.

Closed Thread