HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Revisiting the Halak trade

Old
10-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Zeroknowledge*

vCash: 500
Revisiting the Halak trade

I remember how after we traded Halak, Pierre Mcguire made it very clear that Montreal got screwed and that Halak is the missing link which will lead the Blues into being solid contenders while Eller is what you see is what you get.

Well I haven't watched Halak so I can't judge him by the numbers, but those numbers are pretty brutal I don't know if the the Blues defense is that bad or is he just having a terrible year, like really really terrible.

As far as Eller goes, wow, yes he only has 3 points but that's with no power play time but you can tell by the way he plays that he is our next number one center, he is a stud playmaker and puck mover, protects the puck like the best power forwards out there he just needs to finish more.

But at this point I'm so glad the Habs got such a steal in Eller.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:58 PM
beauchamp

Gauthier had the guts to keep who he perceived as his best goaltender, and that after a miraculous run by Halak. He was right.

Hats off to him.

I believe that Halak will have a very good career.

I also believe that Eller will be a very good player, not a superstar, but very good.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:58 PM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
I remember how after we traded Halak, Pierre Mcguire made it very clear that Montreal got screwed and that Halak is the missing link which will lead the Blues into being solid contenders while Eller is what you see is what you get.

Well I haven't watched Halak so I can't judge him by the numbers, but those numbers are pretty brutal I don't know if the the Blues defense is that bad or is he just having a terrible year, like really really terrible.

As far as Eller goes, wow, yes he only has 3 points but that's with no power play time but you can tell by the way he plays that he is our next number one center, he is a stud playmaker and puck mover, protects the puck like the best power forwards out there he just needs to finish more.

ugh...

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:00 PM
The K Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
ugh...
Ya that's a little strange...

I've seen a couple Blues games and to me it's more of the Blues defense playing pretty poorly.

Halak definitely doesn't look the same as he did with the Habs though.

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Caseman

Looking at the numbers...blows

Disregarding the numbers...BONAFIDE NUMBA WUN

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:09 PM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

Eller has been a stud. I love the way he moves with the puck; extremely fast and confident. He just needs to focus and finish those easy chances. He would've had at least 5 goals so far, if he didn't screw up his finishing. Plus, the kid's already 6'2'', close to 200lbs, with a little more muscle on him, he could be a nice hybrid of a forward, with playmaking, scoring and physicality.

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:11 PM
malkovsby

halak needs to shore up his butterfly big time, pucks constantly slipping through his pads, also doesnt cover five hole effectively when sliding.

= brutal for my pool

malkovsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:18 PM
capebretoncanadien

looks good for the Habs so far....takes a little sting out of the Gomez trade....ugh

I don't like my lil' buddy Jaro struggling he's a good goalie....I like to see him do well..go Blues

Eller really looks like a force out there so far this year....speed, shifty, gritty...beauty laser by Rask last night...if he can keep playing like he has I'm very happy with the trade.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Laino

I haven't watched any St. Louis games in my life outside of the playoffs so I can only judge Halak on his numbers, he must blow big baby chunks.

I watch Lars Eller every second of every day and although it doesn't and probably never will show up on stats sheets this man is the next baby Jesus. Montreal won that trade in a landslide.

Laino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laino View Post
I haven't watched any St. Louis games in my life outside of the playoffs so I can only judge Halak on his numbers, he must blow big baby chunks.

I watch Lars Eller every second of every day and although it doesn't and probably never will show up on stats sheets this man is the next baby Jesus. Montreal won that trade in a landslide.
hfboards in a nutshell, ladies and gentlemen.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

He's played well tonight imo.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:26 PM

I said it from the get-go that it was a genius move by Gauthier. Eller is an absolute stud and we have Price. It is similar to Washington who traded a great player (Varlamov) that they didn't need for a great asset.

Those looking only at the stats, be careful. Halak isn't as bad as his numbers show. And Eller is just on the verge of breaking out... he's outplayed Gomez and Desharnais so far this year, he is our #2 center now. No contest about it. He is also the only talentend center over 6'0 we've had since 1937.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laino View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vomiting Kermit View Post
He has done pretty well tonight. I think he started pre season bad and it's messed up his head since then. He's had like a week and a half off and he's come back to play a solid game tonight. Only time will tell if he's shook off his early season problems for good though.

Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:28 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Are Habs fans really calling Lars Eller an "absolute stud."

HF bringing the lulz once again.

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Le CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vomiting Kermit View Post
25 saves on 29 shots = .862 - those are not good numbers... is the St Louis defence that bad?

BTW, I like Halak and wish him the best.

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:29 PM
matCH penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
he's outplayed Gomez and Desharnais so far this year, he is our #2 center now. No contest about it. He is also the only talentend center over 6'0 we've had since 1937.
And he's Danish!

matCH penalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:29 PM
capebretoncanadien

He's made a bunch of point blank saves....St Louis D is very bad tonight.

Old
10-30-2011, 09:30 PM
The K Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
25 saves on 29 shots = .862 - those are not good numbers... is the St Louis defence that bad?
There's been a lot of breakaways and odd man rushes.

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
25 saves on 29 shots = .862% - those are not good numbers... is the St Louis defence that bad?
Pretty brutal chance's our D has given up tonight...Jaro has made at LEAST 5 huge saves.

Here's a tweet:
Lou Korac
Halak has now stopped what could have easily been 4 goals tonight. Save % might not be great but team giving up too many high % chances.
9 minutes ago from TweetDeck

Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:33 PM
mytor4*

I was all for the trading of Halak and keeping Price from day one.
Both teams got what they were looking for .Many Blues fans were saying that Eller was going to be a stud but they needed the goaltending help and who could blame them for taking a chance on Halak after the playoff run he had.
Halak could still turn it around for the Blues and i hope he does but i'm so glad we got Eller in that deal.He's getting better day by day.Will be a great 2nd line center down the road for any team. Maybe even a good 1st line center? Who know how much he can raise his game.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:33 PM
capebretoncanadien

Perfect example of a game where the stats don't tell the tale of how Halak played at all.

Khabibulin played a solid game himself...a few big saves late.

Old
10-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
Are Habs fans really calling Lars Eller an "absolute stud."

HF bringing the lulz once again.
Overrated much. That said, Eller is still looking good. He's got a bright future.

As for Halak, I was pro-Price back than and still his. I still think that you always have to take the numbers into their context. There are many ways of interpreting them.

Uber Coca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:34 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Halak has been disappointing in his time in St Louis, special if you bought into his hype after his play in the playoffs with the Habs. But I think know he is just struggle, he'll pick his game up and be around the 15-20 in terms of top goalies in the league. The problem with is that he is small for a goalie 5'11 180, and the fact that he is now a number 1 goalie its been a struggle for him mentally as well.

In regards to the trade, its a perfect trade for both teams. MTL traded an extra asset outside the conference and filled a organizational need in a big centre who is or near NHL ready. And St Louis, was willing to give that up seeing how they had already a good young core of forwards and Eller could be moved and they replaced Eller potential spot with Tarasenko (1st round pick (Runblad) for Tarasenko).

All in all St Louis won't loss any sleep over the trade, it was a risk they could afford to take.

And MTL got them a good two way centre who has the potential to be just as good as Plekanec in the future, or worst to case would he be comes one of the best 3rd line shut-down centre in the future.

To me, I think the only thing that should be revisited is choosing of Price over Halak.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:35 PM
HabsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post

Uhh no. Kid has talent but is a stick...and Plek>Eller for a while.

HabsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Jzk

vCash: 750
It's been a down year for a few goalies this year so far. Bryzgalov, Louongo,Mason, Halak, Price... all are playing sub par.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote