HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Revisiting the Halak trade

Old
10-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
25 saves on 29 shots = .862 - those are not good numbers... is the St Louis defence that bad?

BTW, I like Halak and wish him the best.
I don't think any of the goals were bad. The first was on a nice pass from RNH and the third bounced off Eberle's skate. Both of Smyth's goals were off rebounds.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
I remember how after we traded Halak, Pierre Mcguire made it very clear that Montreal got screwed and that Halak is the missing link which will lead the Blues into being solid contenders while Eller is what you see is what you get.

Well I haven't watched Halak so I can't judge him by the numbers, but those numbers are pretty brutal I don't know if the the Blues defense is that bad or is he just having a terrible year, like really really terrible.

As far as Eller goes, wow, yes he only has 3 points but that's with no power play time but you can tell by the way he plays that he is our next number one center, he is a stud playmaker and puck mover, protects the puck like the best power forwards out there he just needs to finish more.

But at this point I'm so glad the Habs got such a steal in Eller.
Steal? What is your definition of steal?

Last time I checked, the Blues got an NHL starting goalie, while Montreal got a prospect who has 20 pts in 86 games.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
Are Habs fans really calling Lars Eller an "absolute stud."

HF bringing the lulz once again.
Yeah, I'm sure you have watched every single games he played for the last two years. Guess what, I did. He's gonna be stud.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Halak is the reason the game wasn't 7-2 vs the Oilers.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:41 PM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Yeah, I'm sure you have watched every single games he played for the last two years. Guess what, I did. He's gonna be stud.
Sort of like how Halak was gonna be Roy

HabsHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Red08

I wouldn't say he had a great season last year, but it was definitely a good, solid season. He's started off shaky this year as his numbers show, but the Blues defense have had some massive breakdowns in front of him.

At this point myself and probably very few Blue's fans have any regrets from the trade. There still wouldn't be any room for Eller on the Blue's team.

Red08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:42 PM
MVP of West Hollywd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laino View Post
I haven't watched any St. Louis games in my life outside of the playoffs so I can only judge Halak on his numbers, he must blow big baby chunks.

I watch Lars Eller every second of every day and although it doesn't and probably never will show up on stats sheets this man is the next baby Jesus. Montreal won that trade in a landslide.

The threads lately have been craz

MVP of West Hollywd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Steal? What is your definition of steal?

Last time I checked, the Blues got an NHL starting goalie, while Montreal got a prospect who has 20 pts in 86 games.
Halak hasn't been their number one for 2 weeks or so now and Eller is playing awesome, the numbers will come.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:49 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Played awesome today.

Might have been a huge blow out by the Oilers if not for Halak

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Halak hasn't been their number one for 2 weeks or so now and Eller is playing awesome, the numbers will come.
Yeah...that's the ticket.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Lshap

Halak delivered an absolutely amazing playoff run with the Habs two years ago. Can he do it again with St. Louis should they make the playoffs? Maybe. The fact that he's done it before adds to his credibility.

Eller's 'stud'-ness is still in the future. His potential is real, but it's still potential. Wayyy too early to judge him, or to compare the relative worth of both players to their teams.

It's safe to say most Montrealers deeply appreciated what Halak accomplished here and wish him success.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Crystal Met

Halak is good when he faces a lot of shots (as seen in that incredible playoff run), he can also be really streaky and gives juicy rebounds. Eller I see him as a future Miko Koivu, maybe just a notch below. Bottom line the two teams got what they want from the trade.

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Red08

Quote:
That's because Brian Elliott is well on his way for his first Vezina.

Red08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:02 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Met View Post
Halak is good when he faces a lot of shots (as seen in that incredible playoff run), he can also be really streaky and gives juicy rebounds. Eller I see him as a future Miko Koivu, maybe just a notch below. Bottom line the two teams got what they want from the trade.
I'm not putting my expectations that high yet. We'd be incredibly fortunate if Eller ever becomes similar to a Mikko Koivu, that's a legitimate #1 centre.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Pepin le bref

This is a win-win trade I guess. Mid-range starting goalie for a number 2 center.

As a Habs fan, I like this trade alot. Eller is just warming up

Pepin le bref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:29 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
I remember how after we traded Halak, Pierre Mcguire made it very clear that Montreal got screwed and that Halak is the missing link which will lead the Blues into being solid contenders while Eller is what you see is what you get.

Well I haven't watched Halak so I can't judge him by the numbers, but those numbers are pretty brutal I don't know if the the Blues defense is that bad or is he just having a terrible year, like really really terrible.

As far as Eller goes, wow, yes he only has 3 points but that's with no power play time but you can tell by the way he plays that he is our next number one center, he is a stud playmaker and puck mover, protects the puck like the best power forwards out there he just needs to finish more.

But at this point I'm so glad the Habs got such a steal in Eller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laino View Post
I haven't watched any St. Louis games in my life outside of the playoffs so I can only judge Halak on his numbers, he must blow big baby chunks.

I watch Lars Eller every second of every day and although it doesn't and probably never will show up on stats sheets this man is the next baby Jesus. Montreal won that trade in a landslide.

These posts are delicious.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:38 PM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

While Halak's numbers are pretty terrible, it is a very bad indication of his actual play. Both teams "won" the trade, and Halak will be just fine for this year and the following 2.

mizzoublues29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
I said it from the get-go that it was a genius move by Gauthier. Eller is an absolute stud and we have Price. It is similar to Washington who traded a great player (Varlamov) that they didn't need for a great asset.

Those looking only at the stats, be careful. Halak isn't as bad as his numbers show. And Eller is just on the verge of breaking out... he's outplayed Gomez and Desharnais so far this year, he is our #2 center now. No contest about it. He is also the only talentend center over 6'0 we've had since 1937.
You need to get on your knees and beg for Jean Beliveau's forgiveness.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:17 AM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

While I'm not about to call Lars baby Jesus or any such crap BUT he has been pretty damned good so far this season.
He's got some size, great wheels, is a very crafty passer and is damned shifty with the puck.

I don't think he will ever be a prolific goal scorer though(his hands around the net are a little under par imo) but he can make things happen out there. He makes room and has a knack for finding guys in the open.
He has given the Habs something they haven't had in a long time, a solid 3rd line that can turn the red light on.

He IS a solid player and is still getting better. He will end up being a very good 2nd line center.

Did the Habs win this trade, prolly still too early to make that call but we are pretty happy about the returns so far.
A little over-hyping going on...of course but some of it at least, is warranted.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:41 AM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

lol a stud....

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:53 AM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Lol... Eller a stud.

It's more like St. Louis's D playing BRUTAL hockey than it is Halak being bad.

Halak is still Halak, just not the one with the habs.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:00 AM
JesusBouillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vomiting Kermit View Post
I don't think any of the goals were bad. The first was on a nice pass from RNH and the third bounced off Eberle's skate. Both of Smyth's goals were off rebounds.
His rebound control has always been one of the few knocks on Halak.

Halak still is the better player in that trade, but given the poor goalie market I was and still am quite happy with Eller's acquisition.

JesusBouillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:14 AM
JohnLennon

Never knew calling a player a stud could offend so many people, jeez.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:25 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Never knew calling a player a stud could offend so many people, jeez.
Someone calls Eller a stud = HF explodes with anger

Either way, this was a winning situation for Montreal. They kept the best goalie, traded away a player they couldn't keep anyway, and ended up with a top-6 prospect who's well on his way to being in fact a top-6 player.

I don't see why everyone's getting so worked up about this though, but then again, it involves Montreal and everyone has issues with Montreal having any sort of success...

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:

Two whole weeks! I'm surprised the Blues haven't exiled Balance to the AHL or a European league yet!

Get a clue. Goalies go through hot and cold streaks. The Blues D sure isn't doing him any favors from the games I've seen. You know, its amazing how much your perspective can change when you actually watch the damn games!

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote