HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Revisiting the Halak trade

Old
10-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Beukeboom Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Never knew calling a player a stud could offend so many people, jeez.
I don't think it makes people angry, its just a lot of hyperbole for a guy with 20 career NHL points. I get he's still developing, and not a finished product, but when he's being compared to a PPG center like MKoivu, its hard to have a reasonable discussion.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:59 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I don't think it makes people angry, its just a lot of hyperbole for a guy with 20 career NHL points. I get he's still developing, and not a finished product, but when he's being compared to a PPG center like MKoivu, its hard to have a reasonable discussion.
In his first season at an older age Koivu had 21 points in his first season.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:05 AM
Capt Brycey Poo
Holik to HHOF

Halak hasnt looked that good lately, maybe Montreal got the better part on that deal.

Capt Brycey Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:05 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vomiting Kermit View Post
I don't think any of the goals were bad. The first was on a nice pass from RNH and the third bounced off Eberle's skate. Both of Smyth's goals were off rebounds.
Ah yes, I remember now.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:49 AM
ThaDevilGirl

For Halak to be successful the Blues have to play stifling defense and clear every rebound as possible. Halak is a fine goalie but people only remember the 2010 playoffs which was only a hot streak. He's good but not that consistently good.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:57 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Loved Halak but was glad they stood by Price, I hope Jaro does get his groove back in St Louis though.

Eller is a classic example of a player that the stats don't tell the whole story. He has done things with the puck that makes my jaw drop at least once per game this year and is still getting over shoulder surgery. He is on the verge of breaking out and I can't remember getting this excited for a player in Montreal in a long time. I never overrate players and try to call it as I see it, and I am sure Lars will be a big time player one day sooner than later. If you are in a keeper league for fantasy, draft this guy, he is going to be a stud lol!

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Blues88

Hey OP, why don't you just edit the title to this:

"I'll judge Halak by the numbers without seeing him play, but if you are going to comment on Eller's progress since the trade, keep in mind that stats don't tell the whole story."

That way we have fair warning about what lies within......

Blues88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:09 PM
McTusk

I cringe when I see people do the pimp-their-player-threads on the main board, I cringe harder when it involves my favorite team.

Eller has looked nice this season but is still a big work in progress, there is still a lot of time to revisit this trade, it's not even 2 years old yet.

Slow down maestros.

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:10 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Neither Eller or Halak have lived up to the hype.

That said, the Habs didn't need Halak and the Blues didn't need Eller. So I guess they both win.

WJG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:45 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
Are Habs fans really calling Lars Eller an "absolute stud."

HF bringing the lulz once again.
Way to generalize...one guy said that but of course the whole fanbase did.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:00 PM
guest1467

St. Louis simply is just not a good of a team as Montreal, and Halak is getting "exposed" because of it.

I knew this was going to happen. Halak needs a strong collapsing defense, and he needs his rebounds cleared. Halak's rebound control is not very good, he is a reactionary goalie who can't use size to his advantage. These type of goalies typically go on hot streaks, but don't maintain dominance season in and season out.

I am not going to go on about who "won this trade," but I was stoked when Halak was traded. Price is the better goalie, and will always be the better goalie from this point on. But it takes a bit to get a young fundamental phenom like Price to get comfortable in the league, but he has reached that threshold.

Eller is straight PIMP. The guy is looking to be a perfect specimen of a centerman that the Habs needed. He has tremendous protection of the puck, is a great stickhandler, and is a smart player. He is extremely impressive at gaining possession of the puck in the defensive zone and leading the breakout. The guy is starting to get stronger on his skates, and is a big boy out there. His shot is also improving, and he is getting a lot of offensive chances as the result of his quality play. He reminds me a lot of Staal, but more gifted offensively.

I loved this trade the moment I saw it, and I love it more now. I couldn't care less about Halak, hes a good goaltender and thanks for the impressive run, but Price is the guy for now and the future.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:00 PM
JustAHabFan

The biggest win for the Habs is that they keep the right goalie. Halak is a fine goaltender. Both the Blues and the Habs are winner with this trade for now and for the future.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:11 PM
RogerRoeper*

Gauthier sold high on Halak. Very smart.

Don't sell low like Sutter did with Phaneuf.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

I am not afraid to call Eller a stud. The numbers aren't there yet, but every other part of his game sure is.

My favorite hab right now. So fun to watch, at both ends of the ice.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:20 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Gauthier sold high on Halak. Very smart.

Don't sell low like Sutter did with Phaneuf.
Pretty much. So often we're trading away players at their absolute lowest value, Lapierre, S.Kostitsyn, Latendresse, etc. It's nice to get a good up and coming talent in exchange(and he's a big centre to boot, who'd have guessed).

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Win/win trade. Eller gets put down because his stats aren't good on paper but he is going to get more recognition soon. He's really starting to show confidence in his game. With Gomez being injured Martin is being forced to give him icetime (instead of 4th line minutes) and he's showing he deserves it. Soon he'll be forced to give him PP time too. The points will come.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:56 PM
InTentsProductions*

habs fans when price was doing bad numberwise:
NO HES BEEN AMAZING ITS THE DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF PRICE HAS BEEN AMAZING HE CAN'T DO IT ALL!!!!! OMG!!!!!

habs fans when halak is doing bad numberwise:
LOL GREAT TRADE THANKS FOR OUR NUMBER ONE ELITE CENTER LMAO! TOLD YOU HALAK SUCKED

InTentsProductions* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I wasn't a big believer in Halak but he proved me wrong. He was absolutely spectacular two years ago. Our team absolutely sucked on the ice and Halak single handedly brought us to the playoffs. Maybe he isn't the superstar goalie that the Blues might have hoped for but it's not like they paid a premium for him anyway.

Eller looks like a decent prospect but I certainly was hoping we could've gotten more out of that deal. I don't think this is going to be a lopsided trade either way. I think Halak will be a decent starter and I think Eller might be a decent 2nd line center if things go right.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:39 PM
Serenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTentsProductions View Post
NO HES BEEN AMAZING ITS THE DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF PRICE HAS BEEN AMAZING HE CAN'T DO IT ALL!!!!! OMG!!!!!

LOL GREAT TRADE THANKS FOR OUR NUMBER ONE ELITE CENTER LMAO! TOLD YOU HALAK SUCKED
I haven't seen single post from a hab fan claiming that "HALAK SUCKED" or make use of an obnoxious tone that you typed in exaggeration. Definitely, the most useless post and generalization of this thread...

BluesFan45, on the Blues board posted a link to his early season review on Jaro. This could be useful to anybody who didn't see Halak play; although I dont agree with his analysis.

Most people only took notice of Halak during that beastly playoff run. He had been very good since he had been called up to back up Huet in MTL. He had off nights, but I think mostly he played well. Maybe a habs fan can clarify?

Serenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:44 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Win/win trade. Eller gets put down because his stats aren't good on paper but he is going to get more recognition soon. He's really starting to show confidence in his game. With Gomez being injured Martin is being forced to give him icetime (instead of 4th line minutes) and he's showing he deserves it. Soon he'll be forced to give him PP time too. The points will come.
Pretty much this. He's big, fast, hits and has hands. The guy is the complete package and is currently our #2 center.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:48 PM
bobsURuncle

Quote:

I kind of think you are over simplifing the arguement here. The fact that a year after this trade people are saying both teams won is huge. I don't know if you remember when the trade happened everyone on HF was saying St Louis robbed the Habs and that this move by Gauthier would kill the Habs future.

The media was also very critical, in fact TSN was making Halak/Price comparisons early last year, until Price started to dominate, then the story was dropped. I really believe most hockey fans and the media did not expect Montreal to do well with this trade and as a habs fan I get why some are saying we are happy with Eller (stud or not) he is a good player. I must also say I have always loved Halak and always will, have faith St Louis fans he is a stud too!

bobsURuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:51 PM
guest1467

Quote:

This is not true at all. There was no consensus among Habs fans at all. If you had read the Halak/Price threads you would have realized there was two main factions that were biased for one or the other, and a small minority who ignored the debate and were in favour of them both.

Old
10-31-2011, 02:54 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

why can't a trade be a win-win? they got their future starter - and despite his ****** number, halak will be a regular starter. and the habs got a guy that could reasonably replace plekanec with added physicality.

and if you've watched every habs game, you would understand why we are excited about eller, who is what, 22 years old still?

win-win imo

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:55 PM
Flames24*

Halak would still probably be playing great in Montreal. Price is playing good as well. I think the right move was made, but both goalies will still have great careers in the NHL.

If Halak was Canadian, he would still be a Canadien.

Flames24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:58 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regehrfan24 View Post
Halak would still probably be playing great in Montreal. Price is playiug good as well. I thin the right move was made, but noth goalies iwll still have great careers in the NHL.

If Halak was Canadian, he would still be a Canadien.
This is just plain ridiculous.

They kept Price because his potential is infinitely higher than Halaks.