HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Revisiting the Halak trade

Old
10-31-2011, 02:01 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regehrfan24 View Post
Halak would still probably be playing great in Montreal. Price is playing good as well. I think the right move was made, but both goalies will still have great careers in the NHL.

If Halak was Canadian, he would still be a Canadien.
If Halak was 6"3 220 he still might be a Canadian. IMO it was one of the main factors in the discussion process.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Zeroknowledge*

I for one wanted Price traded and not Halak but boy was I wrong but I will admit that I was very disappointed with getting Eller back.

Last year didn't change my opinion on that trade even though Halak was very average but 10 games into this season and I am sold, Eller's improvement is drastic, almost every shift he does something that makes me go "hmmm haven't seen such a play in a while".

He's had his mistakes an missed some empty nets but these will eventually go in and by season's end he will be our official number 2 center.

If anything I'm glad he will be the reason we force Gomez out of here.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
St. Louis simply is just not a good of a team as Montreal.
lawl.

Halak will be fine, he's had some of the worst luck imaginable with deflections and stuff like that.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Halak in St-Louis is proof off how much the players bought into Martin's system ni the 2010 playoffs.
Halak is good, but not that good.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:18 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Halak would still probably be playing great in Montreal. Price is playing good as well. I think the right move was made, but both goalies will still have great careers in the NHL.

Halak wasn't kept because he was flat out exhausted after 45 regular season games and 13 playoff games. He was pretty much crap because of that during the Flyers series. Price on the other hand played 72 games and 7 more playoff games and looked like he could have played another entire 80 games without an off-season. Plus he's younger and bigger and better looking.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:18 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
lawl.

Halak will be fine, he's had some of the worst luck imaginable with deflections and stuff like that.
What are you going to argue that Halak isn't in a less favourable position in St. Louis? They have made the playoffs once in the last 6 years, and got swept in the first round. Their defense is not even comparable to Montreal's when Halak was there.

I am sure he will be "fine," but that is not what you want from a player you gave up your number 1 forward prospect for.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:28 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
lawl.

Nothing funny about his statement.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:29 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:

No. Price is the better goalie, simple really.

Old
10-31-2011, 02:33 PM
ricky0034

Halak has been heavily overrated ever since that playoff run

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:33 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Halak has been average in the western conference but really has Eller shown any sign of being anything more than a possible 50 point forward?

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:34 PM
LyleOdelein

Even though we all have the urge to analyze trades in retrospect, it's important not to let our present perspective distort our understanding of the context in which the trade occurred.

The Blues were looking for a guy who's capable of being a number 1 goalie for a few years. Despite the recent hiccup, that's exactly what they got. They gave up a primary asset from a position of organizational strength (young centres) to do this.

Montreal was in a situation where they were forced to trade one of two potential starting goalies. In acquiring Eller, the Habs shored up an organizational need (big, young centre) and a throw-in of little value in Schultz. The price they paid was a good goaltender which was an organizational strength at the time.

At that time, both teams made the trade to meet an organizational need while dealing away an asset that was surplus to them. It was pretty much the definition of a good trade both ways.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:35 PM
jarude*
Scorched Earth 11/12

Halak is a pressure guy. Big stakes means big play; he really stepped up for the Habs in the playoffs and had a great showing in Vancouver 2010 for Slovakia. Regular season = not so good. I haven't seen the guy motivated to play day in-day out but in the end he just looks like a middle-of-the-road starter: lets in a few stinkers, makes a few unbelievable saves, overall performance is okay.

Took a big pair of brass ones to trade your playoff hero but in hindsight Gauthier traded him far above his actual value when the perception of his status was at its highest. Habs win the trade for sure.

jarude* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:37 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Also does anyone else think that the Palushaj-D'Agostini trade was a pre-cursor to the bigger deal? I always thought the trade was strange all things considered

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Jake5

Halak is struggling now but he's still a great goalie, things will start to go his way soon, sounds like he's just had some bad luck this year behind a weak defense. MTL definitely made the right choice in keeping Price though.

Eller has looked good so far but is still ~2 seasons away from being a legit top 6 forward though IMO. At the VERY least he will be an excellent physical 3rd line C, but I'm hoping he can be a 60 point top 6 C who is defensively responsible.

Jake5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:41 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

I haven't really watched Eller much, so I have to judge him by his numbers, which don't really look that good.

I have however been watching Halak, and his defense has looked terrible around him. Eventually they'll figure it out and his numbers will come. He looks like he could be a STUD!

I can't believe that the Blues got Halak for Eller, who only has like 20 career points.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:45 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
I haven't really watched Eller much, so I have to judge him by his numbers, which don't really look that good.

I have however been watching Halak, and his defense has looked terrible around him. Eventually they'll figure it out and his numbers will come. He looks like he could be a STUD!

I can't believe that the Blues got Halak for Eller, who only has like 20 career points.
I haven't really watched Halak much, so I have to judge him by his numbers, which don't really look that good.

I have however been watching Eller, and his game has been great. He has been getting lots of chances and using his size to his advantage. Eventually he'll figure it out and his numbers will come. He looks like he could be a STUD!

I can't believe the Habs got Eller for Halak, who only had one great playoff run.

Old
10-31-2011, 02:47 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

I don't get the Eller love. Looks like a 3rd liner all the way.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:48 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
I don't get the Eller love. Looks like a 3rd liner all the way.
Because you haven't seen him play.

Old
10-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
I haven't really watched Halak much, so I have to judge him by his numbers, which don't really look that good.

I have however been watching Eller, and his game has been great. He has been getting lots of chances and using his size to his advantage. Eventually he'll figure it out and his numbers will come. He looks like he could be a STUD!

I can't believe the Habs got Eller for Halak, who only had one great playoff run.
I guess that defense only shows up to play when Elliott is in nets and thanks for Eller again.

And for whoever thinks Eller is destined to be a third line center needs to watch Habs games.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:59 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughtybetterbemoney View Post
Halak has been average in the western conference but really has Eller shown any sign of being anything more than a possible 50 point forward?
To be honest, trying to be as realistic as possible, if Eller turns out to be a 50 point guy, I'll be happy, that isn't to say that he doesn't have the potential to be a 65-70 point guy, but he is so good and so smart in his own zone that I'll be more than happy with 50 points. Its kinda like Martin Hanzal early on, stats don't show everything.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:01 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
The Blues were looking for a guy who's capable of being a number 1 goalie for a few years. Despite the recent hiccup, that's exactly what they got. They gave up a primary asset from a position of organizational strength (young centres) to do this.
Not really. There is not an iota of evidence that Halak can be a bonafide starting goaltender in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
I guess that defense only shows up to play when Elliott is in nets and thanks for Eller again.
Haha, we have all heard this before, except last time it was the other way around.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:19 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post

how can you explain that Elliott have awesome stats?
Its the same defense playing in front of Halak and Elliott.
Is the defense playing poorly with halak in the net?
I remember When halak was winning while Price was losing his games. I felt that the team was playing poorly when price was playing. I was wondering if its the same situation?

what is funny is that the only loss of elliott is against the same team as the only win of Halak this season(calgary)

Halak (1-4-0) 3.58 GAA .841 Sv%
Elliott (4-1-0) 1.67 GAA .942 Sv%

as for Eller, he is 22.
He gets better game after game.

Both team won that trade.
we got a potential foward and the blues got a good goalie

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:25 PM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 400
Halak is a bit overated...he played very well in two playoffs rounds in 2010...but he is no where close to a superstar goalie in regular season

The blues gave a top prospect, maybe future #1 centre for Montreal

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:35 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
Eller is going to be a very good hockey player, he has the size, abilities and is still young. Halak is good as part of a tandem, playing 40 so games a year, not as a starter. I'd say so far the advantage is with Montreal.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:37 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
I remember how after we traded Halak, Pierre Mcguire made it very clear that Montreal got screwed and that Halak is the missing link which will lead the Blues into being solid contenders while Eller is what you see is what you get.

Well I haven't watched Halak so I can't judge him by the numbers, but those numbers are pretty brutal I don't know if the the Blues defense is that bad or is he just having a terrible year, like really really terrible.

As far as Eller goes, wow, yes he only has 3 points but that's with no power play time but you can tell by the way he plays that he is our next number one center, he is a stud playmaker and puck mover, protects the puck like the best power forwards out there he just needs to finish more.

But at this point I'm so glad the Habs got such a steal in Eller.
Let's not forget that when Pittsburgh traded for Hossa, Mcguire flipped out and said it was the worst move and that Pittsburgh would now become the Tampa Bay of the North......meaning all their money would be tied up in a few big names etc.
He also implied they wouldn't win the Cup.

A season later they raised Lord Stanley and seem to be doing quite alright after that trade. Armstrong hasn't really done much, Christensen is bouncing around and doing nothing special. Esposito is a flop and can't get out of the AHL.

Meanwhile Dupuis continues to be a huge part of Pittsburgh's success, even after losing Hossa.

The moral of the story is, Pierre Mcguire is a tool and is wrong quite often.

MurphyDump is offline   Reply With Quote