HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Song Remains The Same

Old
10-31-2011, 03:52 AM
ogoaltrop

vCash: 500
The Song Remains The Same

Well there ya have it folks ! After 10 games the sabes are barely over 500.
The highest over paid team in the league.

I seen it just after a few games but was laughed at. Dont look now but the lowley Sens are now ahead of us and the habs are only 2 points behind us. With Philly commin up, look for fluffy ruffys bunch to be basement dwellers soon.

Nothing has really changed with this team. Kind of a shame with all the hoopla in the summer and all that T P has done for them.

Ya seen it first hand in the last Montreal game...... just dominated by the opposition. Same old long long stretches of opposing teams in our zone. Ala the philly series last year. Plus countless blown leads that just never end.

But with Lindy being named coach of the sabes for life, and the love fest for him around here, things will never change.

I dont claim to have the answers, but after a long long time with this regime at hand and after the first 10 games, I see no reason to be optimistic. Sure... they may make the playoffs but maybe not.... but surely you cant even consider them cup contenders by no means. Not even close.

ogoaltrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:35 AM
Clock

Shrug. I'm still not too concerned yet. A lot of changes were made over the summer and I think players are still finding their footing. Teams don't fire on all cylinders throughout the entire season.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:41 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogoaltrop View Post
Well there ya have it folks ! After 10 games the sabes are barely over 500.
The highest over paid team in the league.

I seen it just after a few games but was laughed at. Dont look now but the lowley Sens are now ahead of us and the habs are only 2 points behind us. With Philly commin up, look for fluffy ruffys bunch to be basement dwellers soon.

Nothing has really changed with this team. Kind of a shame with all the hoopla in the summer and all that T P has done for them.

Ya seen it first hand in the last Montreal game...... just dominated by the opposition. Same old long long stretches of opposing teams in our zone. Ala the philly series last year. Plus countless blown leads that just never end.

But with Lindy being named coach of the sabes for life, and the love fest for him around here, things will never change.

I dont claim to have the answers, but after a long long time with this regime at hand and after the first 10 games, I see no reason to be optimistic. Sure... they may make the playoffs but maybe not.... but surely you cant even consider them cup contenders by no means. Not even close.
So who are the cup contenders right now? Surely Toronto and Ottawa must be contenders now, right? I take it Boston has zero chance and Detroit and Vancouver are out of it, too.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:56 AM
MayDay

Too early.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:04 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
So who are the cup contenders right now? Surely Toronto and Ottawa must be contenders now, right? I take it Boston has zero chance and Detroit and Vancouver are out of it, too.
Heh. I was going to say that I take some strange comfort in Buffalo doing something that Toronto isn't.

Old
10-31-2011, 07:13 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I didn't realize that the new player safety protocols dictated the season was over after 10 games.

Thanks for letting me know!! That frees up a lot of time on my schedule for the next few months. Although I will need to talk to some people about these games I paid for already....

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:13 AM
HiddenInLight

I'm not sure whether to laugh or just shake my head. On one hand It is very laughable that you think the whole season is done after ten games. You DO realize that's like saying that your nfl teams season is over after week two right? We are 1/8th of the way through the season with more then 70 games to play. I personally think that our record is surprisingly good considering that we are basically running 2 lines at the moment, with the other two just starting to look remotely cohesive. Give them more time to gel. We made a lot of changes in the off season and the players need to adjust to the changes and build up some chemistry. This does not happen over night. If your serious about what you said here, you must know as little about hockey as you appaently know about the english launguage. Did you seen what I did there?

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:20 AM
Clock

Easy on the rebuttals, guys.

Old
10-31-2011, 07:45 AM
Gnuguy

Does OP know that even if the Sabres were only to keep up this pace they'd finish with 98 points?

Gnuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:52 AM
puckish66

I think some fans/observers have had this kind of commentary in the hopper. 10 games in seems a little early, but maybe not. We've been seeing this brand of hockey for several years now (and a lot of it for Ruff's entire tenure), so I don't know that it's ever too early to point out the same old, same old.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:35 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
I think some fans/observers have had this kind of commentary in the hopper. 10 games in seems a little early, but maybe not. We've been seeing this brand of hockey for several years now (and a lot of it for Ruff's entire tenure), so I don't know that it's ever too early to point out the same old, same old.
This isn't a Sabres thing. It's a hockey thing. 10 games isn't enough of a sample size. You can't really judge a team until it hits 25 games or so.

Well, you can, but you'd probably be over reacting to some fact one way or another.

Old
10-31-2011, 08:35 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Wow, lose 3 of 4 in the early going and we're already making conclusions. There's a sample size problem here. Prior to this season, I feared that this would be the board's general reaction if there were any roadbumps in the early going. You could tell by the tone of many posters that anything short of pure domination was going to be unacceptable. The team will need time to jel. I remember when Montreal made all those changes, they had a very slow start, but ultimately made the conference finals. Today's team will not be the team we see in April, just as last October's team was not the team we saw down the stretch. Let's relax a bit. Most of the indicators that correlate with winning (GF, GA, Goal Differential, Special Teams Standing, etc.) look pretty good for this team.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:38 AM
gallagt01

Troll thread is fail.

Seriously, we're ten games into the season.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:41 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

On pace for 49 wins for the season, I'll take that. Only one team in the East managed last year, I can probably handle that.

But by all means, continue on with the agenda pushing.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:48 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Number of games played vs NE division: 1/24

Not worried.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:02 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
This isn't a Sabres thing. It's a hockey thing. 10 games isn't enough of a sample size. You can't really judge a team until it hits 25 games or so.

Well, you can, but you'd probably be over reacting to some fact one way or another.
The sample size is a lot more than 10 games.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:07 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
The sample size is a lot more than 10 games.
THIS team has only played 10 regular season games. I know that you can't stand Ruff, and want to blame everything that happens on him, but that doesn't change the fact that THIS team has only played 10.

Old
10-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Mergus merganser

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/_/name/buf/buffalo-sabres

9th in goals for
5th in goals against
8th in PP%
4th in PK%

If they keep up those stats, they WILL win the division.

They have a lot of new pieces coming into the line-up. I'm not concerned at all.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:25 AM
Pengo

This is probably an overreaction but you never know.

Will Vanek and Pominville be able to retain this great performance?

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:29 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

My only beyond-the-season concern right now is our PP. Beyond patches of decency, it has been fairly bad for a while now. If our PP is decent, then our record is looking a lot better right now.

Of course, our PK is one of the best in the league, so special teams is not all bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
This is probably an overreaction but you never know.

Will Vanek and Pominville be able to retain this great performance?
I doubt they'll be able to maintain that pace. It's just too hard. I think both will end up with fantastic seasons, perhaps career bests. That said, I think the next obvious question is if/when they tail off a bit, will the rest of the team pick up the slack? VAP has been carrying the team offensively thus far.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:35 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
My only beyond-the-season concern right now is our PP. Beyond patches of decency, it has been fairly bad for a while now
The funny thing is that the power play really isn't that bad. In fact, statistically, it's quite decent. Buffalo's currently in eighth place for the season. Last season they were ninth.

Old
10-31-2011, 09:42 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
The funny thing is that the power play really isn't that bad. In fact, statistically, it's quite decent. Buffalo's currently in eighth place for the season. Last season they were ninth.
Why let a little thing like facts get in the way of misguided perceptions?

Old
10-31-2011, 09:42 AM
OkimLom

I'm a little worried. Its not that they are 6-4 but how they came about those games. I still dont know what to think of this team. Again, we seem to play down or up to the other teams we are playing. We dont play at a consistent level(which might explain why so many people jump on and off the band wagon). Lindy is made to coach for the playoffs. Its his type of hockey. During the regular season, not so much.

We made THREE ADDITIONS on this team. One of which has played to the level they are expected of them. ONE was on Offense and TWO were on defense. I can understand why they are playing badly in the d-zone, but the offense minus Pommers-Vanek has been a no-show. Surprisingly Adam has been our best Center so far(how many guessed that). We still have a few weaknesses that havent been fixed since THAT day. Miller seems to be over hyping himself up in friendly arenas. His best games came on the road and his worst games at home. I'm not saying that Enroth is better, but I think he brings a more calming zen to the team(that also gets wired for home games).

This is basically the same team with the same problems.

OkimLom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Vito_81

Out of 10 games, Buffalo could have won all ten. How is that bad? Their worst loss was a 3-0 shutout. Minus an empty netter and the back-breaking turnover leading to 2-0 Buffalo was still very much in it.

New team, new faces, 6-4 after 10 games. I'll take it. A lot better than the record after 10 last season that's for sure.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:48 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

I'm just pissed one of the most awesome songs / albums / movies of all time is now associated with a troll thread.

If there is ever thread retribution, I will hold "No Quarter".

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote