HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Song Remains The Same

Old
10-31-2011, 10:49 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
The funny thing is that the power play really isn't that bad. In fact, statistically, it's quite decent. Buffalo's currently in eighth place for the season. Last season they were ninth.
Wow, really? Didn't realize I was so off. I stand corrected then.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Wow, really? Didn't realize I was so off. I stand corrected then.
Nah, I totally get the perception. I feel the same way when they lay out a turd of a powerplay. You know, the ones where they don't get a single shot on net.

It's inconsistent for sure, but surprisingly productive.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:02 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Nah, I totally get the perception. I feel the same way when they lay out a turd of a powerplay. You know, the ones where they don't get a single shot on net.

Yeah, I definitely assumed the numbers weren't there after watching so many inept attempts. Glad to hear that I'm wrong, however.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

The powerplay was similar last season. It looked absolutely awful most of the time, but it was still good for 9th in the league.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogoaltrop View Post
Well there ya have it folks ! After 10 games the sabes are barely over 500.
The highest over paid team in the league.

I seen it just after a few games but was laughed at. Dont look now but the lowley Sens are now ahead of us and the habs are only 2 points behind us. With Philly commin up, look for fluffy ruffys bunch to be basement dwellers soon.

Nothing has really changed with this team. Kind of a shame with all the hoopla in the summer and all that T P has done for them.

Ya seen it first hand in the last Montreal game...... just dominated by the opposition. Same old long long stretches of opposing teams in our zone. Ala the philly series last year. Plus countless blown leads that just never end.

But with Lindy being named coach of the sabes for life, and the love fest for him around here, things will never change.

I dont claim to have the answers, but after a long long time with this regime at hand and after the first 10 games, I see no reason to be optimistic. Sure... they may make the playoffs but maybe not.... but surely you cant even consider them cup contenders by no means. Not even close.

They are definitely paper contenders, whether or not we will actually get to see everybody show up for one single game this season depends on the questioners sense of wonder and acceptance of fantasy. It's like asking, "Will we ever see a man sized praying mantis vote for a democrat?". Same laws of reality apply to that question as the aforementioned.

But, if everybody does show up, they could beat any team in the league in a best of seven. Does the team beleie that themselves? Do they want the Cup this season? Guess we will find out.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Zip15

vCash: 326
Quote:

Never is subjective reaction more out of line with objective fact than when it comes to the fans' perception of the PP. I always chuckle at the howling about the man-advantage when we go 1/4. I want to scream that if we went 25% for the whole year, we'd easily be #1 in the league!

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Gnuguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Never is subjective reaction more out of line with objective fact than when it comes to the fans' perception of the PP. I always chuckle at the howling about the man-advantage when we go 1/4. I want to scream that if we went 25% for the whole year, we'd easily be #1 in the league!
SHOOOOOOTTTT!!!!!!!

Gnuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:24 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
So are you upset with the team for not being 8-2 or better right now?

That's the perception I get.

I'm slightly annoyed at the manner in which they've lost a few of these games so far, but I think it's wayyyy too early for any "I told you so"s.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:37 PM
BCS

Tied for third in the NHL in goal differential and on pace for roughly 100 points despite not really clicking yet. What an awful team! Get real.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:39 PM
puckish66

Quote:

I wish the league would have a stat for "crunch time." How do power plays produce in the third period when games are close? All the data is there, they just need someone to massage it.

I bet the perception is that when the Sabres really need a power play goal, they almost never get one.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:56 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Wow, lose 3 of 4 in the early going and we're already making conclusions. There's a sample size problem here. Prior to this season, I feared that this would be the board's general reaction if there were any roadbumps in the early going. You could tell by the tone of many posters that anything short of pure domination was going to be unacceptable. The team will need time to jel. I remember when Montreal made all those changes, they had a very slow start, but ultimately made the conference finals. Today's team will not be the team we see in April, just as last October's team was not the team we saw down the stretch. Let's relax a bit. Most of the indicators that correlate with winning (GF, GA, Goal Differential, Special Teams Standing, etc.) look pretty good for this team.
Agreed especially with the first sentence. We have a handful of problems - do those problems, ten games in, mean we are missing the playoffs ? Doubt it.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:07 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
This is probably an overreaction but you never know.

Will Vanek and Pominville be able to retain this great performance?
The flip side of that is will Roy, Stafford, Myers and Leino continue to struggle to produce offensively?

I would say that's unlikely.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 0
Quote:
Shrug. I'm still not too concerned yet. A lot of changes were made over the summer and I think players are still finding their footing. Teams don't fire on all cylinders throughout the entire season.
Blame Europe. None of the teams that went there are firing on all cylinders yet.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:13 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
The flip side of that is will Roy, Stafford, Myers and Leino continue to struggle to produce offensively?

I would say that's unlikely.
Can probably throw Ennis in there, as well.

Old
10-31-2011, 01:50 PM
joshjull

Quote:

They were 16th in the NHL on the PP coming into the Jackets game. The Jackets were the worst PKing team in the NHL coming into that game. They had a putrid 67% kill rate. We go 2/3 on the PP and are back in the top 10 in the NHL statistically.

Just like its too early to dismiss this team's long term chances in many areas. Its also too soon to trumpet the effectiveness of the PP based on their current rank. Its too small of a sample size.

We have 7 PPgoals in 32 PP opportunities (21.9% / 8th in NHL).

Take out the Columbus game and its 5g in 29 tries. Thats a 17.2% conversion rate which would put us at 14th in the NHL.

The Columbus game is skewing the numbers in such a short time frame. We started out 2/4 -vs- Ducks and 1/4 -vs- the Kings (3/8 in Europe) then went 1/17 in the 6 games leading up to the Jackets game.

An interesting stat on our PP. Our 32 PPs are 28th most in the league. Only the Devils and Calgary get less. Any thoughts on why we get so few?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Zip15

Quote:
They were 16th in the NHL on the PP coming into the Jackets game. The Jackets were the worst PKing team in the NHL coming into that game. They had a putrid 67% kill rate. We go 2/3 on the PP and are back in the top 10 in the NHL statistically.

Just like its too early to dismiss this team's long term chances in many areas. Its also too soon to trumpet the effectiveness of the PP based on their current rank. Its too small of a sample size.

Take out the Columbus game and its 5g in 29 tries. Thats a 17.2% conversion rate which would put us at 14th in the NHL.

The Columbus game is skewing the numbers in such a short time frame. We started out 2/4 -vs- Ducks and 1/4 -vs- the Kings (3/8 in Europe) then went 1/17 in the 6 games leading up to the Jackets game.

An interesting stat on our PP. Our 32 PPs are 28th most in the league. Only the Devils and Calgary get less. Any thoughts on why we get so few?
Part of it probably has to do with Kaleta taking on a more serious role and being less of an agitator this season. Also, the Sabres haven't trailed much this season, relatively speaking, and I think refs have a tendency not to give as many PPs to teams who are leading games. Other than that, I don't have much.

We have so many consultants already (mental skills, skating, etc.), but I wonder if Terry could purchase the consulting services of Jeff Skinner. Learning how to turn a light breeze into an interference or tripping penalty could be a valuable skill.

Old
10-31-2011, 05:38 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
I'm just pissed one of the most awesome songs / albums / movies of all time is now associated with a troll thread.

If there is ever thread retribution, I will hold "No Quarter".

Bah.... I've been Dazed and Confused for so long it's not true....

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:10 AM
ogoaltrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
So are you upset with the team for not being 8-2 or better right now?

That's the perception I get.

I'm slightly annoyed at the manner in which they've lost a few of these games so far, but I think it's wayyyy too early for any "I told you so"s.
Actually yes. With the hype of the big free agents and the supposed great goaltending, im kinda bummed, considering the lousy play at home, almost blowing it against Columbus and really no business winning that habs game on the road.

I know its only 10 games but all im saying it seems like more of the same old..... Our coaches are not good teachers ! And before ya know it its gonna be 20 games... they need to right the ship soon. But of course im a troll.............

ogoaltrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:19 AM
ogoaltrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
I think some fans/observers have had this kind of commentary in the hopper. 10 games in seems a little early, but maybe not. We've been seeing this brand of hockey for several years now (and a lot of it for Ruff's entire tenure), so I don't know that it's ever too early to point out the same old, same old.
Exactly !!!! Thank you Its nice to see a sensible response for a change.

ogoaltrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Clock

If you find yourselves incapable of responding to posts without attacking the poster, then just leave the thread. Last warning.

Quote:
Actually yes. With the hype of the big free agents and the supposed great goaltending, im kinda bummed
If your expectations were that this team would be a lock to go 8 and 2 through the first ten games and that anything else would be a disappoint, then you let the hype get to you too much. That really isn't a reasonable expectation for any team in this league.

Let these guys work up some more chemistry, give the guys we know who can produce but aren't yet get their games back, let Ruff figure out how to best handle situations such as the Leino, Miller / Enroth mix, and MAG / Weber situations.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Gnuguy

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisson_regression

Nature of the beast.

Gnuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:36 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Actually yes. With the hype of the big free agents and the supposed great goaltending, im kinda bummed, considering the lousy play at home, almost blowing it against Columbus and really no business winning that habs game on the road.

I know its only 10 games but all im saying it seems like more of the same old..... Our coaches are not good teachers ! And before ya know it its gonna be 20 games... they need to right the ship soon. But of course im a troll.............
Let's break up your points a little bit and take them one at a time:

Aquisitions -

We made three major moves and one minor move over the off season in order to aquire new players for the team, in the form of two d-men and 2 forwards. On the blue line we picked up Robyn Regehr and Christian Ehrhoff. Regehr has been everything we were looking for in that deal and then some. He has been physical, solid defensively and has made very few mistakes for us. All in all a HUGE help for this team. Ehrhoff had a great start to the season, but has recently slowed down a bit. Now, going into the deal we knew that Ehrhoff can sometimes be a bit of a liability defensivly. Which has been shown to be true. His major strength is his shot from the point. Now I have noticed that the defending team has been neutrilizing his shot in a very effective way. Instead of trying to block his shots and get in his shooting lanes, they immediately challenge him for the puck, the second he gets it, which forces him to pass very quickly and sometimes not as carefully as he should, which leads to the problems he's been having. Lindy needs to get more creative in order to create more shooting chances for Ehrhoff.

Now as for our two forwards, we have Ville Leino, and the return of Matt Ellis. With Leino I can see where you are coming from. He seems a bit lost on the ice sometimes, and has a tendency to try and do too much. He also is having trouble getting chemistry with the rest of the team. I think that he would be better off simplifying his game until that chemistry can be found. Because it is difficult to play his game without chemistry in the line. With Ellis, there isn't much to say. He is as advertised. Hard worker, wins the battles on the boards, makes Boyes and McCormic look pretty good. I like that line.

Goaltending -

You say that our goal tending is supposedly good, which makes me feel like you don't think that they are. Our goaltending is 5th in the league...top five is excellent if you ask me...

Coaching -

You stated that our coaches are not good teachers. Now I'm not going to go into the many issues with the galisano regime, but I'm going to touch on his spending. Galisano didn't like to spend money on his players. Unfortunately that means when we get big talent, we lose it as quick as we find it since he was not willing to pay for said talent. So since we lost our players as soon as the league realized they were good, I honestly believe that it is a reflection on the coaching staff and GM that we are even competitive. Most of our big name players have only gotten that way under the tutoring of our coaches. In fact, the majority of our team has come straight through our system. Especially our core, Roy, Pommer, Vanek, Stafford, Ennis, Myers, Miller, Enroth ect. Miller IMO is the epitimy of that point. I remember watching his first NHL game. He got BLOWN UP. Seriously I looked at him and said "My god how can they even THINK about starting this guy in the NHL?" Look at him now. Considered one of the best goalies in the world, silver medel winner and MVP of the olympics, former Vezina winner. How could that be achieved without great coaches?

Honestly the main problem I see on the ice is lack of chemistry on half our team. (Literally). It HAS been getting better in recent games, if only a little bit, and we havnt REALLY been soundly beat, and are on tracks for around 100 points on the season, a sound playoff spot in most years. No reason to melt down oe blowup the team.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Dubi Doo

Oh look...these threads again. I bet last year at this time you were saying the team will have a lottery pick.

I still love all the dummies that were saying we had a bottom 5 team last year. Teams slump. A majority of us have been watching hockey long enough to realize this. Apparently the OP hasn't. 10 games does not equal 82 games.

Last edited by Dubi Doo: 11-01-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:39 AM
captaincrunch89

Here's a fun little statistic: in 2005-06, the season most Sabres fans agree was one of our best chances to win a stanley cup, we started the year 6-4-0, exactly the same as this year. Look how that year turned out. Let's calm down before making crazy assertions through only 10 games.

captaincrunch89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:09 AM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Compared to last year's slow start, this year's squad is AWESOME!

Seriously though, it is waaaaay too early to panic. There are more than a few players that could up their play.

Special teams needs to improve.

They need to get back to the lockdown team when they have a 3rd period lead.

But, Rome wasn't built in a day.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote