HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The First 10 Games... Better/Worse than Expected?

View Poll Results: At 3-6-1 how does the team's record compare to what you expected?
Right where I thought they'd be after 10 games. 32 36.78%
Exceeding my expectations. 2 2.30%
The team is achieving below what I expected. 33 37.93%
Still too early to tell... ask again after 20 games. 20 22.99%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-31-2011, 08:09 AM
broinwhyteridge

vCash: 800
The First 10 Games... Better/Worse than Expected?

So through the first 10 games the team is 3-6-1. On pace for around 56ish points for the season and an early contender in the "Fail for Nail" sweepstakes.

What's been your Positives and Negatives so far?

Are you surprised by the record or were you expecting it?

Discuss.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
From around July 5th onwards, I have been saying that this team is a 12th-14th in the East type of team. I had little faith that the development of Burmistrov/Kane/Bogosian/Pavelec and rebound seasons out of Antropov/Little/Byfuglien(second half)/Wheeler would be enough to carry this team to playoffs since all of the holes in the roster were either left as is, or not properly addressed. Looking up and down the roster, I did not think it was very good. This is not a terrible thing, there is lots of potential and a star like Yakupov would be the thing to turn this franchise around, IMO.

That being said, I did expect a much faster start. I thought the excitement from the new city, new management, the packed building, would result in a really hot start for the boys. I expected pure adrenaline to guide this team through the first few weeks. That has not happened obviously.

Positives are easy. Antropov bouncing back to form, Burmistrov breaking out, Slater playing awesome, Wellwood exceeding ALL expectations, Stuart has been a rock for the most part.

Negatives are much longer. Little not scoring, not playing well; Ladd seems to have stone hands, but is not playing nearly physical enough or gritty enough either; Wheeler has been invisible and pretty awful; Kane is struggling to find a role here,; Scheifele was unable to continue pre-season dominance into a Skinner type season (wishful thinking perhaps); Stapleton is on the ice; Jones is not in St. John's; Byfuglien's turnovers; Enstrom's mediocore start; Pavlec's mediocore start.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Right about where I thought they'd be after 10 games.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:36 AM
DWD

After all things considered I think we are what I expected.
It takes a new coaching staff a while to set up a new system.
I do like the style of game they are playing and the boys are playing with heart. What we don't have yet is a third line. That will come.

DWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:43 AM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
I wasn't sure what to expect, but the team has left off about where they were at the end of last year. Good news is, we've seen the worse IMO.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:54 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
OT, but, no GDT? WTH?

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
I voted right where I thought they would be.

To me it seems like people either thought the team we were getting was the first half Thrashers, who were a playoff team, or they thought we were getting the second half, non playoff Thrasher team.

In my mind, we were getting the second half, non playoff team.

I have been happy with the effort in most games (Ottawa and Phoenix withstanding). My understanding is that we are in year X of a Y year building process. Unfortunately, I don't know what X or Y are.

I think a lot of people would be happier if they judged this team based on effort, and realized that the goal is more likely to build this team to compete for the playoffs maybe next year, but for sure in 2013-2014.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:59 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 375
I thought they would be a bit better.
but I am not overly shocked by this either.
Most of the eastern teams improved over the summer.
We didnt.

Season is still early, so lets see how it goes come all star break time.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:06 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

The record is basically what I expected with the team getting used to entirely new coaching and management teams. The team has been improving almost every game and that is good enough for me at this point.

The biggest disappointment by far has been the play of Byfuglien. Having not watched the Thrashers and only seen him playing with Chicago, the stats he put up last year would suggest that he would be the leader of this team in every way possible. Not only is he terrible defensively, he's also not very physical. The big hit he threw 10 seconds in to the first pre-season game is the last time I've seen that kind of energy from him.

The biggest surprises have been Burmistrov, Antropov and Scheifele.
-I had never heard of Burmistrov before this season. He's quickly becoming our best player and someone who looks like a threat to score every game. Antropov deserves his share of the credit for that.
-Considering most first round picks didn't do much of anything in preseason or last any length of time in the regular season their first year, Scheifele has exceeded expectations so far.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:06 AM
Auror

Give it time. Remember the first few games they were really bad.

Then beat Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. And then lost three games to good teams by just ONE.

Numbers don't tell everything.

Auror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Sunshine36616

Exactly what I expected.

Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:13 AM
Fidel Astro

Not surprised. If they'd been blown out every game, then, yes, I'd be really disappointed, but a lot of these games have been really close. They just need to get into more of a groove.

I see a lot of positives and a fair amount of improvement (in some players more than others) and I think a lot of it involves an adjustment period to a new city with a far more demanding/scrutinizing fanbase and media, plus a completely new set of coaches/management.

It's still early days here. These guys can win, and when they don't, it's often a very close game, so we're not dealing with an absolutely useless group here.

Fidel Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:13 AM
Snowman

For me the Jets are a little worse than I expected. I would have figured a 4-6 record to 5-5. I figured we had an outside chance at a playoff spot if we got a few breaks. Now, barring a miracle it looks like we'll be in the 11-14 range.

Negatives:
Little: Invisible
Wheeler: Invisible. He's 6'-5 and plays like he's 5'-2
Pavelec: So-so and we need him to be spectacular
Team Offense: It seems we're more interested in cycling the puck than in getting a scoring chance out of it.

Positives:
Bogosian: Has looked fairly solid
Stuart: Solid D and really helps Bogo
Burmistrov: Looks like he's really gaining confidence
Antropov: I always thought he was a floater, but I'm a fan now.

Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:29 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Since I didn't really jump on til late with the Jets, I've just been watching the games and honestly, I think this team can be 500. get the right breaks, be the 8th playoff team... I think Home ice will be an advantage hugely as the team gets their sea legs.

That said, the first line, in name only but still, it must produce more for that to happen.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:29 AM
Bongo

Consistency has plagued this team since it's inception. Good games against stronger teams were often followed by weaker efforts against less formidable opponents. Those of you who haven't followed the team until now might find you initial enthusiasm tempered with more than a little frustration.

When the team plays well, they're plenty fun to watch.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:33 AM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
Since I didn't really jump on til late with the Jets, I've just been watching the games and honestly, I think this team can be 500. get the right breaks, be the 8th playoff team... I think Home ice will be an advantage hugely as the team gets their sea legs.

That said, the first line, in name only but still, it must produce more for that to happen.
Oh they definitely can be. Whether or not they are is another story.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Oh they definitely can be. Whether or not they are is another story.
Yeah, this road trip was so key to me.. they need to not have long losing streaks and be able to feed off the home ice... I figure if they have a shot, the team will make moves to make a playoff push..

The ceiling is not Stanley cup champs but I could see playoffs... then again, the floor is last lol.

Old
10-31-2011, 09:43 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

I figured the team (as a whole) would have more giddy in their jump off the get-go here, but, it is what it is. I do like what I have seen thus far, though, to and extent. I think a lot of these guys have potential, but they must step up and reach it. Guys like Little, Wheeler, Kane, etc, MUST reach their potential in order for this team to have any success. That is what I was looking for/depending on as we went into the season and so far it has not happened from some of these guys. Admittedly, Bryan Little has by far been the biggest disappointment for me. Tonight is the 11th game, and he has yet to score a goal and has just 3 assists while getting prime minutes. Also, he has just 15 shots in 10 games.

Overall, we've had a couple games where we just didn't seem "in it", but other than that, I have honestly been happy with this team and it's work ethic. I think and hope we'll grasp more of the defensive philosophies being preached, that will be a must. It will be interesting to see if this team takes positives steps forward or stays status quo.

I think we'll know more about this team by December'ish and be able to get a better grasp on things in terms of where we may be headed and what we have in some of these guys, but it's certainly a process here.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:54 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I'm disappointed, especially considering the hot start the team got off to last season with Ramsey. Guys that were supposed to have been the stars (ex. Enstrom, Pavelec, Byfuglien, Kane, Little, Wheeler, Ladd, etc) have all gotten off to slow starts and have looked average at times. You know they're not playing as well as they can when Kyle Wellwood and Jim Slater are leading the team in goals. However, I've been impressed with Burmistrov, Antropov, Hainsey, Stuart and Bogosian.

That said, the players obviously went through huge life changes this past summer. They're now in a city where they're treated like rockstars and perhaps it's going to their heads a little bit.

I'm also on the fence with Noel. The team seems to be getting better as the games go by, but I'm worried about the way he handles certain players (ie. Kane), or don't handle them at all (ie. Byfuglien).

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:56 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Overall, we've had a couple games where we just didn't seem "in it", but other than that, I have honestly been happy with this team and it's work ethic.
I really like seeing that the effort has really picked up and if this team is going to be a losing team, I'd rather they show effort every night cause they can be very fun to watch even when they lose...

Old
10-31-2011, 10:10 AM
Inflict
Viking

I believe the team is better than their record, but we need to fix those glaring turnovers and goaltending needs to be better. The ladd-little line needs to step up too, considering they were our leading scorers last year. Maybe a young hungry forward from the Ice Caps can step in and imbue some energy and (hopefully) chemistry. As soon as we fix that line and our 3rd line, plus what was previously mentioned, I think we will be a good competitive team.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Good games against stronger teams were often followed by weaker efforts against less formidable opponents.
Yeah, this is really frustrating. We play decent aginst team like Tampa but yet don't even bother to put in an effort against a team like Ottawa. That has really hurt us this season so far.

Last edited by Snowman: 10-31-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:30 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Bottom 5 like I expected. At best we're a bottom 10 team IMO.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:46 AM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
I'm not sure why everybody seems to think wheeler is invisible, in the physicality department no doubt that is true but when he has the puck he's noticeably speedy and has created some chances.
I've been really disappointed in Byfuglien, Little, Kane. Byfuglien is not a defencemen not much else to say. Little looks absolutely invisible, no creativity, weak on the puck and generally disinterested. I've been the most disappointed in Kane though I don't see 40 goal scorer he's so north south and he seems sort of lost in the offensive zone some times he's also still young so who knows.
Burmistrov, Stuart, Bogosian, and Antropov have all been positives especially Burmistrov, the draft day talk that he could become a similar player to Datsyuk sure looks like its a possibility.
I definitely thought we'd be doing better at this point and fighting for a playoff spot by the end of the season but clearly it seems were a couple of years and a couple high draft picks off from that

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Rheged
JMFT

I'm not very surprised at the record, but I am a little surprised at how they ended up with it. I had figured on a very strong start off the hop with a fall back down to earth. I think I'm actually happier this way, the compete level continues to improve and they've even been showing some resiliency on occasion.

Overall I'm satisfied with the start, right around where I would have pegged it.

Rheged is offline   Reply With Quote