HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

from practice 10/31/11

Old
10-31-2011, 03:23 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Connolly has 2 points in 1 game with the Leafs, Leino has 2 in 10 games.
Just Saying.

At the end of the season and after the playoffs to see who is the better fit in our lineup. You can take what Leino does as a Sabre and compare it to what Connolly's done as a Sabre What Connolly does in Toronto is irrelevant.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:30 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Ville Leino played just 9:35 for the Sabres on Saturday, his lowest total of the season and his second-lowest dating back to the start of 2010-11. Although he hasn't produced much during games with more ice time, recording just one goal and one assist through 10 outings, he wants more minutes.

"Thatís pretty much the least Iíve played since Iíve been in the league," Leino said today after a practice that found him centering leading scorers Thomas Vanek and Jason Pominville. "Itís really tough to play with nine, 10 minutes a game and try to make something happen, feel comfortable out there. Itís pretty much every time you feel into it, youíre not playing. It definitely is not easy for me."

Based on his new wingmen, Leino should be able to do more when the Sabres host his former team, the Philadelphia Flyers, Wednesday in First Niagara Center.

"Weíll see how it goes," Leino said. "Theyíre good players and I know they think the same way about hockey and their games and do the same kind of plays as I, so it should be pretty easy to read those guys."
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...ominville.html

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Jame
Dream '16

I'm glad Ruff is trying to get Leino going...
... and I don't think Adam has played particularly well

but I do think it's kinda crazy to break up the most productive line in the NHL....

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:55 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
After hearing Leino's comments to VS during the Lightning game I'm not sure this will even help him.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:39 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

I would be totally fine with Leino being just a guy working through his problems if he didn't have to keep saying how hard it is for him and lamenting the things he can't control - like ice time, linemates, powerplay spot, playing center - instead of just shutting his face, owning his problems and working harder.

Seems like a whiny attitude that started as soon as he had a problem and hasn't let up yet.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:27 PM
dma0034

Leino moved to top line

WGR is saying Leino has been playing with Vanek and Pominville.... presumingly for Philly on Wednesday. Thoughts?

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:31 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

christ...

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:03 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
Not something I am too excited about.....that's my thought.

I guess we will see.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:23 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I would be totally fine with Leino being just a guy working through his problems if he didn't have to keep saying how hard it is for him and lamenting the things he can't control - like ice time, linemates, powerplay spot, playing center - instead of just shutting his face, owning his problems and working harder.

Seems like a whiny attitude that started as soon as he had a problem and hasn't let up yet.
This. I don't know why, but I didn't expect him to be a whiner. This team is deep. You need to earn your ice time like everyone else. Heck, even Vanek could complain that he should be getting more ice time compared to the other top scorers in the league. Ville - speak softly and carry a big stick, dude.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:30 PM
sabrenewf

I agree real players earn their ice with their play he hasn't thus far. Ya it's early but the VAP line is doing it's job so why mess with that to stroke Leino?

sabrenewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Gabrielor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

A pattern I'm noticing that has me terrified is that, based on his words to the media, Leino seems to put 0% of the blame for any of his own game time shortcomings on himself. Everything is ''no powerplay'' or ''need more ice time''. No where do you see ''I need to be more effective with the time I'm given''. Not that I want self-mutilation, but he needs to realize that part (in my opinion, most) of the poor-play is completely his own fault.

Gabrielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

SO leino is dressing up as Adam for Halloween? Sorry, not fooled...

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:29 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
At the end of the season and after the playoffs to see who is the better fit in our lineup. You can take what Leino does as a Sabre and compare it to what Connolly's done as a Sabre What Connolly does in Toronto is irrelevant.
Leino hasn't done anything as a Sabre yet and Connolly had 2 points in his first game!?

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:44 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Leino hasn't done anything as a Sabre yet and Connolly had 2 points in his first game!?

you're right...if i was Toronto... I'd start talking extension with Timmy. 10 years 50 mill sounds about right.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:11 PM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Connolly has 2 points in 1 game with the Leafs, Leino has 2 in 10 games.
Just Saying.
No he doesn't. He has 2 points in 3 games. His first game was not his 2 point game, either.

Seriously, how hard is this to look up?

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Russ Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
After hearing Leino's comments to VS during the Lightning game I'm not sure this will even help him.
why what did he say

Russ Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:22 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYaeger89 View Post
A pattern I'm noticing that has me terrified is that, based on his words to the media, Leino seems to put 0% of the blame for any of his own game time shortcomings on himself. Everything is ''no powerplay'' or ''need more ice time''. No where do you see ''I need to be more effective with the time I'm given''. Not that I want self-mutilation, but he needs to realize that part (in my opinion, most) of the poor-play is completely his own fault.
Things can always be taken out of context when all we get are soundbytes and quotes filtered through the media but I have the same concern - I haven't read or heard anything from him that sounds like he's accepting responsibility rather than pointing out factors working against him.

More from WGR:

Quote:
After two bad games at home, Lindy Ruff wanted to change things, "We can look at Luke or Derek at left wing. Part of it is to give Ville a chance to get on track. Last game I donít think it wouldíve mattered who we put together for the most part, but I want to take a look and maybe weíll take a look at practice tomorrow of something different.Ē
Quote:
When Ruff does line juggling there is a method to what he tries. The head coach said, ďThereís no thought to breaking up Vanek and Pominville. Thereís always two people that are the key to the line. Van and Pomer have really fed well, Luke has done a nice job. Itís not really something I want to do, itís something I want to take a look at. You donít know until you switch things around, maybe it can be better! Maybe what Luke can bring to another line can help spread out our scoring. We were 6-4 that way. I donít think our scoring has been spread out enough, but I thought Derek Roy had a pretty good night. He didnít capitalize, but he was in on four really good opportunities which is a step in the right direction so in his case, he looks like heís starting to come out of it a little bit.Ē
Quote:
Lindy Ruff did a lot of screaming looking for pace in his Monday practice. He said, ďI was trying to get across that what weíve done at home isnít good enough. That if we practice a certain way at a certain level and that might have been one of the toughest practices weíve had in a couple of years. It wasnít acceptable what we did. Part of that was how we acted, part of it was how we played. It isnít acceptable and if youíre going to play like that, weíll practice even harder.
Visions of Herb Brooks come to mind

http://wgr550.com/Sabres--1-Line-Broken-Up/11342506

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:41 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
If they need anyone to come out and scream at them, any of us who paid for the Tampa or Florida home games could probably come down and holler our lungs out one after another.

Listening to Ruff's comments, I suspect if it does not work, he'll go back to what has in short order.

10-31-2011, 10:22 PM
gallagt01

This is the time I'd like to see Poms, Vanek, and Miller, who have more than pulled their weight as the team leaders this season, call for a players-only meeting and really get these guys fired up.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:58 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
WGR is saying Leino has been playing with Vanek and Pominville.... presumingly for Philly on Wednesday. Thoughts?

They have a core of new and inexperienced players. Brought in because they can make the core players better.

Boyes, Leino, Ennis, Gerbe, Adam.

With Hecht and Ennis out of the lineup, it is a good strategy to give Leino some playing time with Vanek. Boyes and Leino have fantastic skill.

The second line needs to be as productive as the 1st (balance is the key to chaos). Playing with Roy and Stafford is a good opportunity for Adam (it's where Vanek normally played).

So now that we set Leino and Adam up, we can concern ourselves with the results, then compare potentiality. Once we get Hecht and Ennis back, the focus should then be, who pairs well with Boyes? ( Having already drawn conclusions about Leino and Adam).

and keeping the 4th line the same.

this team has so much potential for chemistry.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 11-01-2011 at 12:13 AM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:18 AM
Luceni

I hate the move, from a Luke adam standpoint.

This isn't a confidence boost for Adam. And he hasn't made any mistakes so far. Adam should stay on the first line, I loved that line....

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Deevo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
I hate the move, from a Luke adam standpoint.

This isn't a confidence boost for Adam. And he hasn't made any mistakes so far. Adam should stay on the first line, I loved that line....
I'm sure it has been communicated to Adam that this move has much more to do with Ville's play than his own. Lukey will be just fine, and probably back with his previous linemates sooner than later.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
So you're dismissing a guy who's played what, 9 or 10 games, on the basis of another guy's single game? A most compelling argument.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:55 AM
ohheyimmark

Roy to the point on the first unit powerplay with Myers. Second unit is Stafford/Leino/Adam/Leo/Hoff. Grags off completely. I think Weber may get in tomorrow.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:59 AM
HiddenInLight

I really hope you are right. We could use another solid defensive defencemen.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote