HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Terry Murray appreciation thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Kingurentai

vCash: 500
Terry Murray appreciation thread

Sike. It's a complaint thread

I'm no NHL GM, but I just don't see this guy being a good fit for this team as a head coach. Giving credit where it's due, defensively the team has gotten better but that's not enough. I actually wouldn't mind seeing him as an assistant coach that handles the D mainly.

But at this point, we need someone a little more towards to offensive end of the spectrum. With the players we have, we should be scoring more goals. His meaningless line changes are killing us. I can understand demoting people/shuffling when necessary, but TM does it a the drop of a hat. He treats NHLers like peewees. Also excruciatingly annoying are his pot-game interviews which say nothing/make little sense/lolwut?

"It’s hard to believe that the boards in the NHL would not be installed properly, in this day and age. It’s incredible." Really? You lost and granted it's a bad bounce but really? How about scoring more so that bad bounce doesn't matter?

I don't know much about available coaches. And I'm afraid of messing with a new system middle of the season, but we need a change and I don't think it's the players at this point.

Old
10-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Quattro

the word is "psych"

Old
10-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Kingurentai

Thanks spell nazi, but sike is used often enough on the interwebs nowadays.

Old
10-31-2011, 12:22 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Normally I don't mind the grammar too much, but "sike" is now acceptable for "psych"?

Why do I feel that being on the internet has lowered all of our IQs by 20 points?

Old
10-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Looks like we can add Ryan Smyth to the long list of players that benefit from getting away from Terry Murray:

11 games, 5 goals and 10 points (8 at ES). Yet another player that can score 5-on-5 outside of Murray's defense only system.

Old
10-31-2011, 12:31 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Looks like we can add Ryan Smyth to the long list of players that benefit from getting away from Terry Murray:

11 games, 5 goals and 10 points (8 at ES). Yet another player that can score 5-on-5 outside of Murray's defense only system.
To be fair the Smyth - Stoll - Williams line produced numbers similar to that when it was first put together last season, and then Smyth faded a bit as the season continued.

Smyth is likely good for 50 points or so this season.

Old
10-31-2011, 12:43 PM
sjmay*

Quote:

LOL, the same Smyth that scored when he was in LA that had 20+ goals I believe last year?

Yea...lol ok.

Old
10-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Face Wash

Terry Murray = Del Harris (it's actually scary how similar they are)

Good X's & O's. Teaches the fundamentals of the game well to young players...even tempered guy...made the Finals before coming to L.A..

But also like Del, he seems to lack dynamic communication skills today's players thrive on (see Dan Bylsma) and he's unable to get the most out of a seemingly deep & talented group. Just waiting for Lombardi to hire his "Phil Jackson" who ultimately will.

Old
10-31-2011, 12:51 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post

Good X's & O's. Teaches the fundamentals of the game well to young players...even tempered guy...made the Finals before coming to L.A..

But also like Del, he seems to lack dynamic communication skills today's players thrive on (see Dan Bylsma) and he's unable to get the most out of a seemingly deep & talented group. Just waiting for Lombardi to hire his "Phil Jackson" who ultimately will.
Well, Phil is available.

Old
10-31-2011, 12:56 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:

Very legit criticism IMO.

Old
10-31-2011, 01:00 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
Sike. It's a complaint thread

I'm no NHL GM, but I just don't see this guy being a good fit for this team as a head coach. Giving credit where it's due, defensively the team has gotten better but that's not enough. I actually wouldn't mind seeing him as an assistant coach that handles the D mainly.

But at this point, we need someone a little more towards to offensive end of the spectrum. With the players we have, we should be scoring more goals. His meaningless line changes are killing us. I can understand demoting people/shuffling when necessary, but TM does it a the drop of a hat. He treats NHLers like peewees. Also excruciatingly annoying are his pot-game interviews which say nothing/make little sense/lolwut?

"It’s hard to believe that the boards in the NHL would not be installed properly, in this day and age. It’s incredible." Really? You lost and granted it's a bad bounce but really? How about scoring more so that bad bounce doesn't matter?

I don't know much about available coaches. And I'm afraid of messing with a new system middle of the season, but we need a change and I don't think it's the players at this point.
This again really? Dean Lombardi will hire a Coach just like him. (John Stevens will just take over). Why do we have to keep going over this.

This is the Style of Hockey DEAN LOMBARDI WANTS.....

You want East Coast Pretty pass Float, and Cherry Pick. Fire Dean Lombardi. There is not even a Legit Coach Available, all the one's you guys would want are locked up in contracts.

Unless you feel like promoting the Kings AHL coach, WHO PLAYS THE SAME SYSTEM.

Last edited by damacles1156: 10-31-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old
10-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

I dont mind him as a coach of individual players. I think he has a lot to do with the development of Kopitar for example. Im just not a fan of his system. With that being said, there are a lot worse coaches in the league, so i dont mind having a guy who i see as a middle of the pack coach

Old
10-31-2011, 01:06 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
This again really? Dean Lombardi will hire a Coach just like him. (John Stevens will just take over). Why do we have to keep going over this.

This is the Style of Hockey DEAN LOMBARDI WANTS.....

You want East Coast Pretty pass Float, and Cherry Pick. Fire Dean Lombardi.
That won't get it done in the playoffs in the Western Conference. So I ask those of you that hate this "system" so much, would you rather have the Kings playing the style that will be employed by them during the playoffs or try to change gears late in the season?

I fully understand that the forwards could be more creative, but if that happens expect more turnovers at the opposition's blueline and outnumbered attacks going the other way against Quick or Bernier.

Old
10-31-2011, 01:07 PM
cheap77
Go Kings!

I agree. Murray is a great defensive coach, but I really think we should be doing much better with the team we have right now.

We have some really good offensive and defensive players and also great goaltending. It is like Washington a couple years back when they put all the focus on offense. Would win because they could outscore opponents in high scoring games. When the offense shut down they had almost no defense to help them out. I think we have the opposite problem with Murray. He needs to find that balance like other good coaches are able to do. The dump and chase 100% of the time no matter the score just doesn't work.

Old
10-31-2011, 01:11 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
That won't get it done in the playoffs in the Western Conference. So I ask those of you that hate this "system" so much, would you rather have the Kings playing the style that will be employed by them during the playoffs or try to change gears late in the season?

I fully understand that the forwards could be more creative, but if that happens expect more turnovers at the opposition's blueline and outnumbered attacks going the other way against Quick or Bernier.
Exactly; Willliams already is a turn over machine. Just imagine if he had the green light to do what ever. People see what they want to see.

Anyone thinking Dean Lombardi is going to hire a Coach that is not Defensive minded (Terry Murray Lite) is dreaming.

The Kings are in a D system, and already turn the Puck over to much. Last year the scored plenty to win against the Sharks; Ironically it was Defense that sunk the Kings.

Old
10-31-2011, 01:11 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

We're in 4th place in the Western Conference.

I get the impression that most people on here wouldn't be satisfied with anything short of an 82-0 season, and might still find something to complain about in that case.

I hear a lot about "system issues" but nobody ever comes up with legitimate solutions. It's an easy finger-point when the players stop working. Like when people say, "dinosaur TM is just dumping and chasing," give me a legitimate way to get through a neutral zone trap otherwise. You can't. And it works if the effort's there. Our forecheck in Dallas on Saturday was the best I've seen from a Kings team in years.

We have a cumulatively slow team with an outstanding defense, great goaltending, and an abundance of two-way forwards. A shift to an offense-first system would be an absolute waste. Look at how that's worked out for the Wild and Devils. If we tried to play like the Avalanche we'd be sitting in the cellar right now.

I grew up watching this team try to play run and gun hockey and while it was fun sometimes, the results were rarely there. I'd rather see this team win 1-0 than lose 7-6.

Old
10-31-2011, 01:18 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post

I get the impression that most people on here wouldn't be satisfied with anything short of an 82-0 season, and might still find something to complain about in that case.

I hear a lot about "system issues" but nobody ever comes up with legitimate solutions. It's an easy finger-point when the players stop working. Like when people say, "dinosaur TM is just dumping and chasing," give me a legitimate way to get through a neutral zone trap otherwise. You can't. And it works if the effort's there. Our forecheck in Dallas on Saturday was the best I've seen from a Kings team in years.

We have a cumulatively slow team with an outstanding defense, great goaltending, and an abundance of two-way forwards. A shift to an offense-first system would be an absolute waste. Look at how that's worked out for the Wild and Devils. If we tried to play like the Avalanche we'd be sitting in the cellar right now.

I grew up watching this team try to play run and gun hockey and while it was fun sometimes, the results were rarely there. I'd rather see this team win 1-0 than lose 7-6.
Bingo give this man a Cigar.

Dean Lombardi has constructed this team to play like this. Terry Murray is the Coach that will COACH this type of Hockey.

You want anything different; you need to create a thread about Firing Dean Lombardi and Turning the Roster over.

Old
10-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Normally I don't mind the grammar too much, but "sike" is now acceptable for "psych"?

Why do I feel that being on the internet has lowered all of our IQs by 20 points?
Seriously, it's like the internet has given license to every kid to celebrate the fact that they're uneducated fools.

Brawndo's got electrolytes!

Old
10-31-2011, 01:29 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Exactly; Willliams already is a turn over machine. Just imagine if he had the green light to do what ever. People see what they want to see.

Anyone thinking Dean Lombardi is going to hire a Coach that is not Defensive minded (Terry Murray Lite) is dreaming.

The Kings are in a D system, and already turn the Puck over to much. Last year the scored plenty to win against the Sharks; Ironically it was Defense that sunk the Kings.
First off let me say that I like Williams a lot and when he is on his game he is the master of the 10-foot and shorter pass. That being said, I want those passes attempted coming off the boards and out of the corner in the other team's end, not at their blueline.

Loktionov is the one player in the Kings' system that I believe could be effective at "attacking" the opposing blueline. He needs to play center to make that happen though.

Old
10-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post

My only real issue with the team right now are our 1st periods. We don't get off to aggressive starts in games. Last night, especially when we took two early penalties. I posted this on my other thread, but it bears repeating. The team is scoring goals at tad more than half the rate they did in 1st periods all last season.

Better starts make for better results, and frankly that's coaching in my opinion.

Old
10-31-2011, 01:49 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
My only real issue with the team right now are our 1st periods. We don't get off to aggressive starts in games. Last night, especially when we took two early penalties. I posted this on my other thread, but it bears repeating. The team is scoring goals at tad more than half the rate they did in 1st periods all last season.

Better starts make for better results, and frankly that's coaching in my opinion.
Taking two early penalties is Terry Murray's fault ?

Not worried about the starts it's a long season. There are going to be stretches of bad hockey all around. You just hope that they are short, and the team doesn't have very many of them.

Last year the Kings had awesome starts, only to collapse in the second period. Every team goes through this.

Detroit the most Veteran team in the league; has looked awful the last few games in all areas of the ice.

Last edited by damacles1156: 10-31-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old
10-31-2011, 02:14 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:

This is a very good criticism of Murray, but it also brings up the question of who is the guy that's out there that fits the "Phil Jackson" role?

Old
10-31-2011, 02:16 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
This is a very good criticism of Murray, but it also brings up the question of who is the guy that's out there that fits the "Phil Jackson" role?
They are all under contracts. So there is none. You have to promote from within (More of the same). Or take a flyer on an AHL coach (which will be a Defensive minded coach) cause Dean Lombardi is hiring him.

Old
10-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Scotty Bowman?

No one is worried that Murray's "shot mentality" message has been around for 3+ years, yet the Kings are near the bottom in shots on net each season? Are the Kings' players not good enough to play in the NHL? Or are they not being put in a position through the system to get shots on net?

LA is the place for a player's offense goes to die. Once they leave, talented players seem to be able to score outside of LA. I think most coaches can be a "good" defensive coach if that is all that they require. Playing good defense with a balanced attack is the sign of a good coach. Going too far either way isn't a good sign. All offense or all defense doesn't get it done in the playoffs.

Murray hasn't been out of the first round since the lockout. Coincidence?

Last edited by Sydor25: 10-31-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old
10-31-2011, 02:19 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Scotty Bowman?
Retired if I am correct ? Why would he want to coach in LA >? He is 78, everyone always digs at Murray for his age.

Closed Thread