HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dustin Penner

Old
10-31-2011, 12:40 PM
xECK29x

vCash: 500
I'd easily make this move, he's a big body that plays hard. Comeau and a pick for sure.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

I wouldn't mind seeing this guy wind up here, but he's DEFINITELY the type who the Kings have to 'pay' to get rid of.

His inconsistency and paycheck should make the demand for him low.

Contracts get traded nowadays anyways, so either they take an unwanted contract in return, or accept very low draft picks. Bailey or Comeau have too much promise, so if they're part of the package, then more than Penner has to come back - namely a Dman.

Unfortunately, there's no telling whether Penner could come here and immediately help this team, so picking him up would be a risk. 1 assist in 9 games, 21 PMs... looks like he's worn out his welcome in LA.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:43 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by goal1228 View Post
L.A is a contending team this year. They are not trading a Power Foward just to clear cap space. Pass
I believe they have been using Stoll on the wing this year, Penner and Murray are not in agreement at all. LA may be looking to clear the space to bring in a higher priced forward at the deadline.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:46 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing this guy wind up here, but he's DEFINITELY the type who the Kings have to 'pay' to get rid of.

His inconsistency and paycheck should make the demand for him low.

Contracts get traded nowadays anyways, so either they take an unwanted contract in return, or accept very low draft picks. Bailey or Comeau have too much promise, so if they're part of the package, then more than Penner has to come back - namely a Dman.

Unfortunately, there's no telling whether Penner could come here and immediately help this team, so picking him up would be a risk. 1 assist in 9 games, 21 PMs... looks like he's worn out his welcome in LA.
It would not hurt, they should be able to accept a 2nd and a 4th for him. He could play on the line with JT and PAP and Moulson can move to the Bailey/Comeau line. Penner with JT could be a great fit with PAP doing a lot of the dirty work in the corners and chasing dumped pucks.

Old
10-31-2011, 12:48 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
sounds like they can unload Penner on us for picks and package the picks with Bernier for a bigger name winger.

Old
10-31-2011, 01:08 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

If we trade Bailey, as some are hoping for — who slots in as the third line center?

Does anyone want to rush Cizikas?
Is Ulstrom ready?

Ideally, I think Neilsen should be the third line center. Is he a reach as a second line player?? Strome is likely next seasons second line pivot, but in the meanwhile, its not like we can make a sensible case for dumping Bailey — unless the plan is to bring in someone else in the return.

Wouldn't it be better for the Islanders if they went for a defender rather then a forward in a splash trade?

If all the Isles do is send Comeau and a late pick (4th round or lower) to L.A. for Penner is a salary dump for the Kings, and both players are essentially rentals — sobeit. Penner's value is iffy right now on a good King's team, but his numbers are not matching his salery. Perhaps the mix is not right for Penner in L.A., the way it was in Aneheim or Edmonton. He may find a better mix with the Islanders....

ultimate, the Isles need to remain on plan...adding a high level defender should be higher on the wish list then a forward.

Lets also not forget — Nino is coming back and he is a big body who may slot in on the top line...

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:17 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
If we trade Bailey, as some are hoping for — who slots in as the third line center?

Is Ulstrom ready?

Ideally, I think Neilsen should be the third line center. Is he a reach as a second line player?? Strome is likely next seasons second line pivot, but in the meanwhile, its not like we can make a sensible case for dumping Bailey — unless the plan is to bring in someone else in the return.

Wouldn't it be better for the Islanders if they went for a defender rather then a forward in a splash trade?

If all the Isles do is send Comeau and a late pick (4th round or lower) to L.A. for Penner is a salary dump for the Kings, and both players are essentially rentals — sobeit. Penner's value is iffy right now on a good King's team, but his numbers are not matching his salery. Perhaps the mix is not right for Penner in L.A., the way it was in Aneheim or Edmonton. He may find a better mix with the Islanders....

ultimate, the Isles need to remain on plan...adding a high level defender should be higher on the wish list then a forward.

Lets also not forget — Nino is coming back and he is a big body who may slot in on the top line...

very valid points...would you ever try:

Penner-JT-PAP
Moulson-Okposo-Comeau
Grabner-Neilsen-Neiderreiter
Martin-Reasoner-Pandolfo/Rolston

Okposo is good enough defensively and has been taking a lot of faceoffs this year--i might get killed for this but aside from making another trade this would be the best option. IMO this team is better than what we have now

Last edited by enigmatic: 10-31-2011 at 01:32 PM.
enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:30 PM
Fantom

I would be willing to listen to the kings here.
I would not give up much at all though. I mean he only has one year left and has not been to consistent. I would call it low risk high reward. I would not give up a 1st rounder unless it is pennter plus.
I would consider a second rounder plus Blake

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:30 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
very valid points...would you ever try:

Penner-JT-PAP
Moulson-Okposo-Comeau
Grabner-Neilsen-Neiderreiter
Martin-Reasoner-Pandolofo/Rolston

Okposo is good enough defensively and has been taking a lot of faceoffs this year--i might get killed for this but aside from making another trade this would be the best option. IMO this team is better than what we have now
If it brings Okposo out of that god awful slump he's in then I'm for it but I think changing his role at this point in time is a bad idea for him.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:44 PM
xECK29x

I would think Haley would become the 4th line center if Bailey is moved

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:59 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
According to Ottawa Sun and ESPN, he is being shopped by the Kings and Islanders are one of 4 teams cited as interested.

This is a big man, we need a big forward.
cool so we could get him and be the next fanbase to despise him...

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:00 PM
NYI78

Quote:

Is Ulstrom ready?

ullstrom is close

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:14 PM
KyleBailey12

I'm sorry, but I think you guys are giving up way to much for one year of a guy who's not that good.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:20 PM
seabass45

I worry about Penner if he can't pick up the pace with the talent around him in LA, and at 29, there isn't much room for growth.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:35 PM
CaptDenisPotvin

Listen I'm all for Dustin Penner and the possibilities of him on JT's line....HOWEVER I'm not giving up a 1st round pick (Bailey) or a 20 goal scorer (Comeau) for Penner.

I'll give a 4th rounder for Penner and that's it, there is a reason LA is dumping him at this point and time. If that doesn't land Penner fine I rather give up nothing and see what Nino can do as our power forward on JT's line anyway.

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:24 PM
stranger34

bailey for penner.

spit

shake

done

stranger34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:43 PM
redbull
game on

what happened to the Frolov, Zherdev threads anyway?

Funny how a team so focused on rebuilding from within, through the draft, is so willing to dump a 22 year old player for a $4.2MM underachiever who'll be a UFA in a few months.

Yet, a 23 year old who has a great half-season gets a 5yr, $15MM contract after being grabbed off waivers.

Sometimes I think Wang and Snow spend their time driving through other neighbourhoods looking through the trash, hoping to find a new arena or some other treasure.

(I know Wang and Snow didn't start this thread and may not have any interest in Penner - just tired of this organization failing to address team needs BEFORE the season and then watch the fan base scramble to make some rash, knee-jerk decisions the minute something doesn't go the way the MOST OPTIMISTIC fan could have HOPED for)

We have unrealistic expectations for certain players on this team.

I said before the season, let's ENJOY the season, HOPE some players emerge and celebrate the successes. But this is a lottery team. If it does better, it'll be on the narrow-but-growing shoulders of John Tavares, Mark Streit and the goalies.

These guys have done all they can. They need MUCH more from the supporting cast and let's give them some time to see if they can progress. Thus far, NONE have progressed. Not Comeau or Bailey. Grabner and Nielsen look worse, as does Kyle. MacDonald has played more bad games in the last three than he has as an Islander.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:13 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Even a bad Dustin Penner is better than Josh Bailey, right now. But you can't trade an RFA for a UFA unless he is locked up for awhile, because UFAs won't re-sign here.

Brain Hemorrhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:19 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
According to Ottawa Sun and ESPN, he is being shopped by the Kings and Islanders are one of 4 teams cited as interested.

This is a big man, we need a big forward.
Does he come with a whip? Or do we need to provide our own whip? Other wise saying, I really don't want him.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:22 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:

Is Ulstrom ready?

You have a lot of faith in 19 year olds.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:43 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Penner's a beast ... when he wants to play.

When he's on, he's almost unstoppable driving to the net and using his soft hands and surprisingly good puck skills for a big man to produce. He's also decent defensively when his work ethic is there.

But the problem is, how often will you get that Dustin Penner? You're just as likely to get the lazy, seemingly uninspired 245 lbs. perimeter floater.
Thats a big key there...if hes motivated...he can be great if not....what a waste of salary

10-31-2011, 06:04 PM
Symon Asher

Isles should not give the Kings more than a third for a salary dump. No way Wang takes additional salary . He will send some assets back to even out the additional salary.

Symon Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:01 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
Does he come with a whip? Or do we need to provide our own whip? Other wise saying, I really don't want him.
Penner does play his best for more vocal coaches, he did great for MacTavish, and played well for Carlyle. We are probably looking at Doug Weight coaching this team soon and I think he will be more like the other guys who were former NHL players.

Penner might also like playing here, less pressure and if a guy like Moulson can score 30 playing with JT, I think Penner might be able to touch 40, because of the size and positioning he would get.

If Capuano is coaching him he will probably regress though, because you have to be a real self starter to succeed under Capuano.

I like the idea of

Penner/JT/Parenteau
Grabner/Okposo/Nino
Moulson/Nielsen/Comeau
Martin/Reasoner/Pandolfo

Okposo could become a solid center in this league, or move back to wing next year with Strome here, and Nino on the first line.

Old
10-31-2011, 08:07 PM
Sneekypete

Penner and Muzzin 4 Failey oops I mean Bailey and a 3rd

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:14 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
He would be an instant upgrade over Moulson, and not by a little, but by a lot.He has a habit of disappearing though that can't be ignored. I'd considered this move months ago actually, and am just as stuck on whether it would be rekindling of his career or if he would become the next Turdzilla in an Islander uni.

In a nutshell, heavy shot, average speed, big body, good in corners & the front of the crease, not as physical as you'd hope for given his size.

I wonder if Lombardi sees something in Bailey that we don't? Boy I hope so. I'd take him on just to give Tavares some form of upgrade on one side. I just wish he played with a little more power in his power forward body, but if he did then maybe he wouldn't be available anyway. I think I'd do this deal. The question is would the kid want to play here after the end of the year? He is in the final year of his contract. Maybe someone else on the team is a friend of his. I do know if I was Penner and I was traded to the Isles to play next to Tavares I'd be pretty happy. That's points in the bank for me.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote