Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

its time for a mock draft...

Old
10-31-2011, 02:41 PM
forthewild

vCash: 500
its time for a mock draft...

so yeah i know this is stupid but NHL.com had their guru's do a mock draft 10 games into the year, but thats not why i posted this, lets take a look at what all 3 gurus say about the wild

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=74608

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=74629

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=74628

the last one is of interest to us wild fans, because its exactly the pick we need to make.

now we need to keep in mind that much of the year is to be played, this time last year Huberdeau wasn't even top 10 yet alont 3rd overall, and that there is a lot of hockey to be played.

the reason why i was pissed i guess, is that one of these experts has us picking a goalie, now i can see this happening if we have a chance to get a future all star stud, but lets not forget that we have 5 goalie prospects and quality ones at that.

Hackett has done well for Houston, Endras too, Kuempur is doing well, Gustafsson is doing really well and McInntire has a chance to develop well in college.

Not to mention both Backstrom and Harding have done well this year, so yes lets add another goalie in a deep draft that is loaded with quality blue liners which we lack outside of Brodin and Scandella, and use our 13th overall on not getting a pure sniper, or more needed dman but to log jam our goalie situation even more.

thoughts?

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 50
Once we draft Malcolm Subban, it's only a matter of time before we sign his brother.

Hence, we get both a defenseman and a goalie.

That's the only logic I can see behind drafting another goalie.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:49 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I'm never a fan of picking a goalie in the first round of a draft. Unless you have a situation like Tampa with the big club, and absolutely nothing in the pipe worth mentioning, there's not really a good justification for picking a goalie in the first round in my mind.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:53 PM
forthewild

i can see a goalie being picked in the first round if he really shows a good body of work and a team lacks goalies, but in our case we pass on Cody Cecci, Derick Pouiot and a few other good dman not to mention some good forwards to create an even bigger logjam, it just makes no sense, its like he a vancouver nuk fan and just hates the wild, i mean you can't be that dense can you?

Old
10-31-2011, 02:54 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Now that I've looked at the actual drafts, I don't know why anyone would think we'd grab Frk (who's looking like a mid-late teens pick at the moment) over Morgan Rielly.

They have to be just ranking players how they expect them to be drafted (regardless of team) rather than paying attention to the teams themselves.

Old
10-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I'm never a fan of picking a goalie in the first round of a draft. Unless you have a situation like Tampa with the big club, and absolutely nothing in the pipe worth mentioning, there's not really a good justification for picking a goalie in the first round in my mind.
I'd pick one every year, but only in the 4th-7th rounds. Stock up on depth, and play the odds that a couple of them pan out.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:04 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

They are just ranking draft order without taking team needs into account IMO. If the Wild pick a forward who isn't named Nail or Grigorenko I will be irate. The best D man to come out of this draft might not even be on the radar yet.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:07 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Wasn't Frk a top 5 pick last year?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:12 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
They are just ranking draft order without taking team needs into account IMO. If the Wild pick a forward who isn't named Nail or Grigorenko I will be irate. The best D man to come out of this draft might not even be on the radar yet.
There's some room to pick a forward for the Wild (though personally I'd probably rather an inferior D-man at this point). If there's a run on D-men, and one of the top tier forwards drop, I wouldn't mind picking him up. I'd almost like to see a flyer taken on Galchenyuk, but not if Rielly, Murray, Ebert, or that sort of caliber D-man is still left.

Old
10-31-2011, 03:15 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Frk has gotten the Couturier treatment. He was right up in the top discussions around the middle of last season iirc. He simply hasn't taken another step forward though. He could still end up a high pick, but he's trending way down. I don't remember exactly when or why, but some people are already sliding him out of the first round entirely.

Old
10-31-2011, 03:22 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
He is still out with a concussion, he could come back and rise but there is the tag you could apply to where there are health concerns

As others have said, if there is a good dman left why not go for it

Old
10-31-2011, 03:42 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

If the team were to select a goaltender top 15, I will throw stuff.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:30 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

I drafted Slater Koekkoek in my Be A GM mode in NHL 12, he's awesome.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote