HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Johansen staying in Columbus

View Poll Results: Should Ryan Johansen stay with the Jackets or be sent back to the Winter Hawks?
Yes 60 82.19%
No 9 12.33%
Does not matter to me 4 5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-01-2011, 08:09 PM
FANonymous

vCash: 500
You guys will find a reason to cry about anything...

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:15 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
That's like criticizing the guy for not being Canadian.

Offensive is not what he is, and not what he's expected to be.
So tell me, what the hell IS Sammy supposed to be?

I'm shocked we still have him on the roster.

He had one single good year for the Ducks and that's all.

With regard to Ryan, I'm good with him staying on the team, if only because he can't go to Springfield.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Byrral

Well played Foley

First of all, congrats RyJo on staying with the team. You have all the skills that in time could lead you to become a dominating player in the NHL. It's up to you. Keep it simple and continue to be aggressive with the puck.

Now for my rant. I knew this was going to happen. It's not RyJo's fault that we're are still run by an organization that is still trying to develop players at the major league level instead of doing what it should be doing, winning the freaking CUP. What the heck, ain't my $60 mil.

So what if RyJo has a Calder type season and wins us a few more games all by himself. We'll still get another top 6-8 draft pick on the way to another playoff less season. And all it cost us was a year against his RFA contract. No problem, the quicker that Howson gets to overspend on his RFA contract too. Oh well, at least we get to see RyJo play and develop since the rest of the team sucks so bad.

Let's hope that the 95% of you are right. That I end up being a schmuck, that RyJo ends up being a player that helps the CBJ come all the way back from the dark side to make the playoffs. Otherwise he's just another mishandled asset and I'm used to this.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:44 PM
FANonymous

So why exactly do you all think we would be better off tanking. We don't even have a good record drafting 1st overall, right? I mean the only time we got a top pick he ended up being a big fat lazy player with no heart who has no good reason to be the captain. We can't even develop top players, right? So what does it matter if we draft 1st or 12th?

Additionally, what makes all you naysayers soooooo sure that this "country club," as you like to call it, will magically be gone next season? Especially if it's been here for what, 5 years? 10 years? What's going to magically make it go away in a single off season? A coaching change? Well we know that won't do anything. GM change? You really think Priest is going to be able to pick a suitable GM replacement? Priest isn't going anywhere no matter how much you all hold your breath. He's got the cushiest job in the world right now. Why would he vacate it? If he hasn't been fired yet, why would he be fired now?

You want to talk about sending the wrong message? How about giving up after 10 games? How can you expect the players to not treat the organization like a country club or a joke, when they have one bad stretch and you want to pack it in?

Old
11-01-2011, 09:48 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
Let's hope that the 95% of you are right. That I end up being a schmuck, that RyJo ends up being a player that helps the CBJ come all the way back from the dark side to make the playoffs. Otherwise he's just another mishandled asset and I'm used to this.
I think there might be some middle ground between him helping us to the playoffs and being another mishandled asset in judging this decision.

The kid can play. Can't we just see what happens before rushing to condemn the move?

To Foley, I agree with what kev said...want to hate your post, but can't find a lot to refute. All I can muster is...change starts somewhere. Fixing this org isn't a light switch away. Maybe what some others have said in not panicking and setting fire to the building, the org is letting itself go through the growing pains to develop the identity you desire. Maybe not, but it costs nothing to believe in something for now.

Last edited by SuperGenius: 11-01-2011 at 10:12 PM.
SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
I think there might be some middle ground between him carrying us to the playoffs and being another mishandled asset in judging this decision.

The kid can play. Can't we just see what happens before rushing to condemn the move?
Not to confuse the issue but "Carrying us to the playoffs" are your words. I said "help" the CBJ get to the playoffs. Big difference.

Last edited by SuperGenius: 11-01-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old
11-01-2011, 10:20 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
Not to confuse the issue but "Carrying us to the playoffs" are your words. I said "help" the CBJ get to the playoffs. Big difference.
noted, and fixed. might have gotten carried away a bit.

I just want to win. I don't care about draft picks, the locker room, or whatever. I think the guys in the core can get it done. even though he's likely to only be a part of the org for a few more months, a guy like Vinny is just the guy this room needs, and he could very well be the most important player this org has ever had. Instead of assuming Johansen will only absorb negatives, it is possible that being around some of these guys, especially a guy like vinny, can help him grow into a good player and leader. I believe that there is no country club. Rather, I believe that you just have a collection of guys who don't know what it takes to win in this league. Not knowing what it takes is not equivalent to not willing to do what it takes, IMO. I hate to put it all on Vinny, and I sincerely doubt he's alone in his assessment of the team, but a guy like him stepping up is what gives me hope for change and a brighter future.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:45 PM
CoachWithNoTeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/videocenter/console

At the end of the Arniel practice video, Scott says you'll see some new faces tomorrow. Reporter then asks "new faces". He replies you'll see. Cam possibly coming back? Trade?
I thought this was surprising too. Possible new faces: Carter, Boll, Huselius, Martinek? None of those seem like possibilities for tomorrow.
Someone mentioned Methot and Dekanich but they have already practiced today so dont count as new.
So its either coming from Springfield or there is going to be a shake-up. I dont know, Kubalik...Byers? Drazenovic? Atkinson doesnt count as a new face either.

CoachWithNoTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:48 PM
CoachWithNoTeam

furthermore, if we are just making an AHL transaction, I would have to think its Giroux that goes down right now. with a slight chance of it being Bass... but I was under the impression that we were keeping him until Boll returns

CoachWithNoTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:01 AM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I'm not the hugest fan of Bouwmeester, but I keep thinking a trade centered around Brass could work out for both sides. They could use a playmaking center and we could use a defensive defenseman who eats up big minutes. Not sure all the pieces needed to even it up (Russell + ?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
i've been claiming for this since June...I think we're stuck with something that looks like this due to cap/salary issues

JayBo

for

Brassard
Juice (cap dump)
Russell/Clitsome
Mid Pick / Goloubef (for them taking Juice back)
You guys cant be serious about Jaybo can you? He is not the type of player you want. For a big man he plays very soft and nice which is not a compliment when your 6'2 210Lbs. The CBJ does not need this type of player. I thought you guys wanted the Country club type of player gone.
So glad teh Canucks got knocked out of the Jaybo sweepstakes and the Flames picked him and his huge contract up instead.

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:21 AM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/videocenter/console

At the end of the Arniel practice video, Scott says you'll see some new faces tomorrow. Reporter then asks "new faces". He replies you'll see. Cam possibly coming back? Trade?
"CBJ 2: Boomer's Revenge"

Old
11-02-2011, 04:12 AM
BluejacketNut

He's definitely played better of late, but not like he's been dominating or anything. But then, you only need to be average to make the Jackets, so whatever. Still would prefer to have an experienced NHLer, but since we dont have that depth, the job is yours kid.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:36 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
So why exactly do you all think we would be better off tanking. We don't even have a good record drafting 1st overall, right? I mean the only time we got a top pick he ended up being a big fat lazy player with no heart who has no good reason to be the captain. We can't even develop top players, right? So what does it matter if we draft 1st or 12th?

Additionally, what makes all you naysayers soooooo sure that this "country club," as you like to call it, will magically be gone next season? Especially if it's been here for what, 5 years? 10 years? What's going to magically make it go away in a single off season? A coaching change? Well we know that won't do anything. GM change? You really think Priest is going to be able to pick a suitable GM replacement? Priest isn't going anywhere no matter how much you all hold your breath. He's got the cushiest job in the world right now. Why would he vacate it? If he hasn't been fired yet, why would he be fired now?

You want to talk about sending the wrong message? How about giving up after 10 games? How can you expect the players to not treat the organization like a country club or a joke, when they have one bad stretch and you want to pack it in?

I suppose I should, as a mod, want a post to at least mention the player the thread is purportedly about, but this is my favorite in the thread.

Old
11-02-2011, 07:21 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post

The country club is hardly anything new, its been a code word/hot button phase on this board for years, stretching back to the middle of the MacLean tenure, I know, I've been sporadically posting here since then.

Nobody's sure of it disappearing totally next season, but its a good bet you will get some sort of philsophical change if a few heads higher up roll and the focus becomes totally on building a sustaining a franchise success everywhere, on the ice, in the stands, in the media, etc.

Lets talk about "sending a message". Every season this team "sends a message" to its fans with there lackluster play down the stretch, or there video messages from Junior... Well, "message received": We ultimately don't care enough about this product, so will try again next season with another half-assed attempt. At best, these guys (The ownership group) can say that they don't know enough about this game (or pro sports in general), 12 years in, and haven't had the vigilance in policing some of their underlings that maybe they should have.

Dee Snyder once said: "If thats your best, your best won't do."

Reminds me why I haven't seen a game live in over three seasons and why this team is no longer "must watch" if I'm able to.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:37 AM
blahblah

So how about that Ryan Johansen staying eh?

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:22 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
So how about that Ryan Johansen staying eh?
As long as he gets a bit of a leash, its great. He is going to make mistakes, but for an.... offensively challenged squad, having a kid fresh out of juniors that can "push" some of the guys in front of him in an envirnoment where he's going to get his leeway is great.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:46 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I am glad he stayed. Now, put him to his spot... the center to Nash and Prospal. Because it could be our the second line what could be better for our offensive... not one good line and all.

I enjoy when Jenner come here.... our centers could be in the future... Carter,Johansen, Jenner and xxx. I repeat not in the next season but in the future.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:35 PM
EdwardG
North!

I don't understand why my view isn't the majority, which is this... Save the year. Get rid of Priest and Howson and start rebuilding the culture. Bring Johansen back next year. He belongs talent-wise, but why do we want him up here learning the bad habits and FAIL of the current franchise.

OTOH... he'd probably be learning fail at Springfield too. It's not like they've really developed quality players down there...

EdwardG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
I don't understand why my view isn't the majority, which is this... Save the year. Get rid of Priest and Howson and start rebuilding the culture. Bring Johansen back next year. He belongs talent-wise, but why do we want him up here learning the bad habits and FAIL of the current franchise.

OTOH... he'd probably be learning fail at Springfield too. It's not like they've really developed quality players down there...
Johansen can't go to Springfield. With the game tonight, his first year of his entry-level contract has been enacted.

So, he's here for the year unless his play regresses so much that he gets sent back to Juniors regardless of the contract.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:07 PM
EdwardG
North!

I realize that. I was saying that I didn't think they should have kept him here this year (yes, I'm crying over spilled milk). Not because he isn't a promising player, but because I don't want him to be 'infected' by the fail that surrounds the team and has for years.

EdwardG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Hipster Letestu

He was excellent in every facet of the game tonight, he's improving at a remarkable pace after his slow start. The guy oozes intelligence on the ice, you can see it in his positioning and passing.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:18 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
I realize that. I was saying that I didn't think they should have kept him here this year (yes, I'm crying over spilled milk). Not because he isn't a promising player, but because I don't want him to be 'infected' by the fail that surrounds the team and has for years.
Maybe he'll be one of the guys who starts to turn the room around.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Johansen can get poisoned by the following:

-Country Club atmosphere
-PARTY HARD YOUNG GUYS atmosphere
-The long, soul crushing losing seasons that sap you of everything you can be aka "Being Nash'd".

Which is the most likely? Which is the least?

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Common Sense

Quote:
Well he would eventually have to be exposed to 'the fail' sooner or later anyway.

Common Sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Byrral

Everyone knows how I feel about keeping RyJo here this year but even I will give it more than another failed game to see if keeping him here was worth it or not. This will be judged over the entire season not just another miserable display by the home team. He is here to stay, no way they send him back now. And if the do send him back it will be time to occupy Nationwide for complete mismanagement.