HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

To resign or not resign Jagr? That is the question

Old
10-31-2011, 03:38 AM
SillyPhilly

vCash: 500
To resign or not resign Jagr? That is the question

If the man continues to play like this for rest of the year, do the Flyers make a serious attempt to reup him? He sure doesnt look like an old man out there.

SillyPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:30 AM
dats81

If he still wants to play, definitely resign.
But for less money - something similar to what Mark Recchi was signed for before he retired.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:12 AM
Madik77

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
If he still wants to play, definitely resign.
But for less money - something similar to what Mark Recchi was signed for before he retired.
No way!
IF JJ has good year (or better if his presence is benefitial to the team) AND if he wants to extend his career for another year I cant see Holmgren goes to Jagr and tells him "Thanks JJ, good year for you, good for us, 2 mil. is on the table for the next year b/c you know you are one year older...".
I believe that sometimes its not only about the money/points etc. but simply respect for the exceptional player - future HOF.

I think the decision will be mainly JJ decision and money wont be even discussed. I only hope JJ will continue with his good play and even better in PO to accomplish his own goal - to make fans and people who signed him happy.

Madik77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:17 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madik77 View Post
No way!
IF JJ has good year (or better if his presence is benefitial to the team) AND if he wants to extend his career for another year I cant see Holmgren goes to Jagr and tells him "Thanks JJ, good year for you, good for us, 2 mil. is on the table for the next year b/c you know you are one year older...".
I believe that sometimes its not only about the money/points etc. but simply respect for the exceptional player - future HOF.

I think the decision will be mainly JJ decision and money wont be even discussed. I only hope JJ will continue with his good play and even better in PO to accomplish his own goal - to make fans and people who signed him happy.
In a contract negotiation? You keep living that dream, brother!

edit: or sister!

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:19 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madik77 View Post
No way!

First, I'm perfectly happy with the way he is playing right now. But the situation is a little more complicated.

His ice time will decrease next year with all our rookies one year older, but the main issue will be the salary cap - there is not much salary coming off the cap and some players are up for extensions.
I just don't believe they will trade some major pieces or let both Carle and Coburn walk to keep Jagr there short term.

Last edited by dats81: 10-31-2011 at 05:25 AM.
dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:43 AM
Psuhockey

I think they will resign him if he wants to play. There is a little more than 9 millions available space next year with both Walker and Shelley on the team. I don't think they will sign both Carle and Coburn, nor should they at the money they will both command. I also have a sneaking suspicion that Voracek will be trade bait either at midseason or at the draft, so that is one less player they will have to resign in the offseason.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:10 AM
Stockholm Syndrome

If he still wants to play, why wouldn't you? It's Jagr, after all.

Stockholm Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:27 AM
Madik77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post

You can call me dreamer if you want but I still think that if Holmgren wants Jagr on the team he will find the way to give him the same money and that the money will not play the most important part in those "negotiations".

Still I think this thread is a little bit premature after 1/8 of the regular season... Jagr will go through the slump and we will read threads like "Get rid of this pensioner..." so I would wait till the end of regular at least.

Madik77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:12 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyPhilly View Post
If the man continues to play like this for rest of the year, do the Flyers make a serious attempt to reup him? He sure doesnt look like an old man out there.
11 games into the season, I'm pretty sure this decision isn't even on the Flyers' radar.;

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:15 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post

I think it will be very similar to the Teemu Selanne situation in Anaheim. If Jagr wants to continue playing and the Flyers want him back, he will be re-signed for around what he is making now or possibly a little more (I believe Selanne gets $4M). Jagr will get a number that is fair to both sides.

But I definitely don't see money being an issue for signing / re signing Jagr. I honestly don't think Jagr will ask for a ridiculous amount of money if he wants to continue playing, and I don't think Homer will try to lowball him.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:25 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

I wouldnt give him more than what he's making for more than a year (obviously)

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:10 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Once again, too early to tell. Right now looks like a pretty good bet, but injuries, slumps, high salary demands, etc. may change all that.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:19 AM
thelos
Bunk

re-sign

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:52 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Once again, too early to tell. Right now looks like a pretty good bet, but injuries, slumps, high salary demands, etc. may change all that.
pretty much

personally, I wouldnt being him back next year unless he keeps up this pace and signs for less (~$2.5m)

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:03 AM
BleedOrange
Future Star

Ya as long as he keeps up his play lets sign him for less money everyone wants something for nothing....... NOT

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:28 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
This doesnt need to be asked this early into the season. Jagr is a contract player and will probably play for any team in the NHL that would sign a check. That being said if the guy totals 50+ points this year hes going to get a significant raise from that 3.3 cap hit. Which I dont see the Flyers being able to afford with Coburn and Vorcek needing to be resigned. You could lump Matt Carle into being resigned too but I feel as if he wont be offered another contract with the Flyers.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:31 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Hopefully a 1 year deal only if we do resign him.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:43 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Not sure if he was being unassuming but in the 1st Meet the Flyers episode of the year he was interviewed ..he didn't really give the impression he was going to play beyond this year..either with the Flyers or the league. His language was ambiguous. I think it's just because he wanted to see how he would perform though. If he has huge success he'll resign since he's particular about who he plays with. But who knows.

Timonen also in that episode implied he was going to play 2 years...I'm assuming this year and maybe 1 more.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:24 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Thank you. My first thought.

The guy's 39 years old. How does this thread even exist when we're still in October?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:20 PM
CTU2fan

If he continues to do what he's doing, and ends up with ~30 goals I'd definitely consider re-signing him. But it's Jagr...more than likely if he decides to play next year he'll play for whoever the highest bidder is, unless he really likes it here or likes playing with Giroux etc. It's not like he's a longtime Flyer the way Selanne is a Duck...

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:27 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
This doesnt need to be asked this early into the season. Jagr is a contract player and will probably play for any team in the NHL that would sign a check. That being said if the guy totals 50+ points this year hes going to get a significant raise from that 3.3 cap hit. Which I dont see the Flyers being able to afford with Coburn and Vorcek needing to be resigned. You could lump Matt Carle into being resigned too but I feel as if he wont be offered another contract with the Flyers.
Voracek isn't doing much to justify a raise as of yet. Coburn also isnt setting the world afire. If he wants more than 4 see you later. 4 is like the bar for premier 1 dimensional d men, of which coburn is not....
I think carle may go...and depending on who's available we can use his salary for that.
How much is Suter going to command? 5?6? Is he really better than doughty or Keith?

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:03 PM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
If he continues to do what he's doing, and ends up with ~30 goals I'd definitely consider re-signing him. But it's Jagr...more than likely if he decides to play next year he'll play for whoever the highest bidder is, unless he really likes it here or likes playing with Giroux etc. It's not like he's a longtime Flyer the way Selanne is a Duck...

Care to explain this? In 18 seasons in the NHL, he has played for only 4 teams....and one of those he was traded to (and everyone knows he never wanted to be there).

One of the main reasons he left the NHL in '08 was b/c he wanted a two year deal and the only offers he received were one year deals. He said himself that he wanted to 2 year deal b/c he doesn't like change...he didn't want to sign a one year deal with a team and then have to go through the whole process the next year and possibly have to switch teams.

I have watched Jags play since he was drafted and it is fairly obvious the more comfortable he is with a team/system, the more effective he is.

Moreover, Philly wasn't the highest bidder for Jagr this past off season either.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:26 PM
zbryne

Send a message via Skype™ to zbryne
Gladly, we've got a long time before this is an issue. Time will tell.

zbryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:35 PM
Terence Peterman

I don't think the Flyers can resign for Jagr.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:42 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I don't think the Flyers can resign for Jagr.
Is that like the Fail for Nail?