HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The best now, the best ever (Habs)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-07-2004, 10:55 AM
  #51
HABitude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Laprairie, dans la belle Province
Posts: 2,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69
Best Snap shot:
Currently: ????
All time: Guy Lafleur
Currently: how about Dagenais? This might be the only tool he owns but he surely have an incredible snap, wrist and slap-shot!
I would say: Dagenais, Ryder and Kovalev

HABitude is offline  
Old
09-07-2004, 11:05 AM
  #52
LePoche69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Currently: how about Dagenais? This might be the only tool he owns but he surely have an incredible snap, wrist and slap-shot!
I would say: Dagenais, Ryder and Kovalev
I agree with you on Dagenais. I simply forgot him, since he's so easy to forget!

I don't recall (I mean, yeah, I recall some, but I wasn't overblow) Ryder snap shots more than his wrist shots. And I want to see more of Kovalev before giving him any "award".

LePoche69 is offline  
Old
09-07-2004, 12:24 PM
  #53
JaymzB
Registered User
 
JaymzB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 2,563
vCash: 500
Best Skater:
Currently: Alexei Kovalev
All time: Yvan Cournoyer

Best Slapshot:
Currently: Sheldon Souray
All time: Stephane Richer

Best Passer:
Currently: Saku Koivu
All time: Jean Beliveau

Best Wrist shot:
Currently: Alexei Kovalev
All time: Guy Lafleur

Best Snap shot:
Currently: Alexei Kovalev
All time: Guy Lafleur

Best Stick Handler/Dangler:
Currently: Alexei Kovalev
All time: Jean Beliveau

Best Power Forward:
Currently: Richard Zednik
All Time: Maurice Richard

Best Pure Goal scorer:
Currently: Alexei Kovalev
All time: Maurice Richard/Guy Lafleur...too close to call

Best Defensive Forward:
Currently: Jim Dowd (...?...)
All time: Bob Gainey...Carbo was good, but nobody is on the same level as Bob

Best Offensive D-man:
Currently: Andrei Markov
All time: Doug Harvey...helped start the transformation of the position

Best Defensive D-man:
Currently: Craig Rivet
All time: Guy Lapointe or Craig Ludwig

Best Goaltender:
Currently: Theo
All time: Patrick Roy

Best Leader:
Currently: Saku Koivu
All time: Jean Beliveau

Best Agitator:
Currently: Steve Begin
All time: Claude Lemieux/John Furguson

Best Hitter:
Currently: Mike Komisarek
All time: Larry Robinson

Best Enforcer:
Currently: Well, Rivet fights occasionally.
All time: Chris Nilan

Best Player:
Currently: Saku Koivu
All Time: Beliveau/Richard/Harvey/Plante/Roy/Lafleur

JaymzB is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 03:47 AM
  #54
rocketlives
Registered User
 
rocketlives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 793
vCash: 500
Best all-time enforcer is John Ferguson by a country mile.


rocketlives is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 07:47 AM
  #55
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives
Best all-time enforcer is John Ferguson by a country mile.

Here's some trivia for you, rocket, I remember 2 instances that Fergy lost a decision. Any idea who the opponents were ?

mcphee is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 07:51 AM
  #56
JOHNNY V
Registered User
 
JOHNNY V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: BOSTON
Posts: 3,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Here's some trivia for you, rocket, I remember 2 instances that Fergy lost a decision. Any idea who the opponents were ?


The Boston Garden & Bobby Orr...

VIVA LA MCPHEE..

JOHNNY V is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 08:13 AM
  #57
Démon Blond
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Québec
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Best Skater:
Currently: Jan Bulis
All time: Yvan Cournoyer

Best Slapshot:
Currently: Sheldon Souray
All time: Bernie Boum boum Goeffrion

Best Passer:
Currently: Mike Ribeiro/Saku Koivu
All time: Jean Beliveau

Best Wrist shot:
Currently: Micheal Ryder
All time: Guy Lafleur

Best Snap shot:
Currently: Micheal Ryder
All time: Guy Lafleur

Best Stick Handler/Dangler:
Currently: Mike Ribeiro
All time: Jean Beliveau

Best Power Forward:
Currently: Richard Zednik (only one that plays like a PF in our team)
All Time: Maurice Richard

Best Pure Goal scorer:
Currently: Richard Zednik
All time: Maurice Richard/Guy Lafleur

Best Defensive Forward:
Currently: Radek Bonk
All time: Bob Gainey

Best Offensive D-man:
Currently: Andrei Markov
All time: Doug Harvey

Best Defensive D-man:
Currently: Craig Rivet/Sheldon Souray (when both are in their game)
All time: Larry Robinson

Best Goaltender:
Currently: Jose Theodore
All time: Patrick Roy

Best Leader:
Currently: Saku Koivu
All time: Jean Beliveau

Best Agitator:
Currently: Steve Begin
All time: Claude Lemieux

Best Hitter:
Currently: Mike Komisarek
All time: Larry Robinson

Best Enforcer:
Currently: Sheldon Souray?
All time: Chris Nilan

Best Player:
Currently: Saku Koivu
All Time: Jean Beliveau

Best Coach:
Currently: Non issue really, one one coach at the time
All Time: Scotty Bowman

Démon Blond is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 08:24 AM
  #58
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY V
The Boston Garden & Bobby Orr...

VIVA LA MCPHEE..
Fergy would have taken on the entire Garden,Johnny,seems kind of unfair for the Garden. Yell Fergy's coming and Ted Green still gets nervous.



That was a cheap shot on my part Johnny,Green was as tough as they come.

mcphee is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 08:46 AM
  #59
Carbo N8
Registered User
 
Carbo N8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Here's some trivia for you, rocket, I remember 2 instances that Fergy lost a decision. Any idea who the opponents were ?
I can't recall seeing Fergie lose, but, I know it happened. If I were to guess I would say Orland Kurtenbach & some may consider one of his fights with Bobby Hull a loss.

You're right about Teddy Green. Was it the 71 playoffs when Fergie destroyed Green early & the Habs took control from that point?

Carbo N8 is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 09:01 AM
  #60
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY V
VIVA LA BUNNY LAROCQUE..

4 vezina trophys
Speaking of Bunny ... my parents still tell a story about a trip we took to Montreal to see the Flyers play the Habs in the late 70's.

When I was about 3 or 4 years old I knew all the starting goalies for each NHL team and a decent amount of the back-ups.

Apprently they we were on the subway to the game and my Dad asked me who were the goalies for the Habs and I kept thinking and thinking and thinking and finally said: "Rabbit Stone"

My Dad started laughing so hard he fell of his seat on the train.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 09:19 AM
  #61
IcE ColD
Registered User
 
IcE ColD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vieux Port Inc.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,848
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
I'll try this one

Best Skater:
Currently: Alexei Kovalev (if...)
All time: Yvan "Roadrunner" Cournoyer, although Henry "Pocket Rocket" Richard was good too

Best Slapshot:
Currently: Sheldon Souray (no contest on this one)
All time: Bernard "Boom Boom" Geoffrion

Best Passer:
Currently: Mike Ribeiro
All time: Jean Béliveau

Best Wrist shot:
Currently: Michael Ryder
All time: Guy Lafleur

Best Snap shot:
Currently: Michael Ryder
All time: Guy Lafleur

Best Stick Handler/Dangler:
Currently: Mike Ribeiro
All time: Jean Béliveau

Best Power Forward:
Currently: Do we have one?
All Time: Maurice "Rocket" Richard

Best Pure Goal scorer:
Currently: Alexei Kovalev (if...)
All time: Guy Lafleur

Best Defensive Forward:
Currently: Niklas Sundstrom
All time: Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau

Best Offensive D-man:
Currently: Sheldon Souray
All time: Doug Harvey

Best Defensive D-man:
Currently: Craig Rivet
All time: Guy "Pointu" Lapointe

Best Goaltender:
Currently: José Théodore
All time: Patrick "Casseau" Roy

Best Leader:
Currently: Saku Koivu (special mention to Bégin)
All time: Jean Béliveau

Best Agitator:
Currently: Steve Bégin
All time: Maurice "Rocket" Richard

Best Hitter:
Currently: Mike Komisarek
All time: Larry "Big Bird" Robinson

Best Enforcer:
Currently: Sheldon Souray (?)
All time: John Ferguson (with Chris Nilan not so far)

Best Player:
Currently: Saku Koivu
All Time: Lafleur / Béliveau / Richard

IcE ColD is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 09:35 AM
  #62
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo N8
I can't recall seeing Fergie lose, but, I know it happened. If I were to guess I would say Orland Kurtenbach & some may consider one of his fights with Bobby Hull a loss.

You're right about Teddy Green. Was it the 71 playoffs when Fergie destroyed Green early & the Habs took control from that point?
No,I don't think he and Kurtenbach fought. He was Ted Harris' constant opponent.I wasn't thinking of Hull,though I remember the incident you're referring to. I think it was the 68 playoffs, we rushed home from a Grade 7 class play and actually saw the fight on a replay. Funny how things stick in your mind, the first period had to be shown in highlights as CBC was covering events surrounding Pearson's retirement and Trudeau's 'inauguration'. Now if I could just find my car keys.

mcphee is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 10:18 AM
  #63
Carbo N8
Registered User
 
Carbo N8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
No,I don't think he and Kurtenbach fought. He was Ted Harris' constant opponent.I wasn't thinking of Hull,though I remember the incident you're referring to. I think it was the 68 playoffs, we rushed home from a Grade 7 class play and actually saw the fight on a replay. Funny how things stick in your mind, the first period had to be shown in highlights as CBC was covering events surrounding Pearson's retirement and Trudeau's 'inauguration'. Now if I could just find my car keys.
I know where your keys are, but, I'm amazed at how you remember the other details. If I could combine your long term memory with my short term ..... uh, sorry, I forgot what I was going to say.

Carbo N8 is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 10:58 AM
  #64
Joe Malone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mabou....Wawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 500
Did Shack ever beat him? It seems they fought so often that Eddie may have won one.

Joe Malone is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 11:05 AM
  #65
Carbo N8
Registered User
 
Carbo N8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone
Did Shack ever beat him? It seems they fought so often that Eddie may have won one.
McPhee's going to keep us in suspense. I'd hate to think that Shack ever beat him, Hate the Leafs. The obvious choice from that era would be Gordie Howe, but, I don't recall them ever fighting. Maybe Reggie Fleming or Forbes Kennedy?

Carbo N8 is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 12:46 PM
  #66
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo N8
McPhee's going to keep us in suspense. I'd hate to think that Shack ever beat him, Hate the Leafs. The obvious choice from that era would be Gordie Howe, but, I don't recall them ever fighting. Maybe Reggie Fleming or Forbes Kennedy?
No, the 2 I remember were 1] Gros Bill's favorite player, Larry Hillman. It wasn't really a beating but considering Fergy was tearing a path thru the league in those days, it was a loss. 2] Strangely,Simon Nolet, a decent Flyer before they became a tough team. It was back on one of those US network Saturday aft. games. Nolet gave it to him, won pretty decisively. Nolet was anything but a tough guy,guess it was just his day. Shack beat Ferguson ? Shack set records fleeing the scene when Fergy was on the ice.

mcphee is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 12:54 PM
  #67
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Best Skater:
Currently: Richard Zednick
All time:


Best Slapshot:
Currently: Sheldon Souray/ Dags
All time: Sheldon Souray


Bess Passer:
Currently: Mike Ribeiro/Saku Koivu
All time: Bobby smith/Lafleur


Best Wrist shot:
Currently: Micheal Ryder
All time: Lafleur


Best Snap shot:
Currently: Kovalev/Dagenais
All time: Lafleur


Best Stick Handler/Dangler:
Currently: Mike Ribeiro/Kovalev/Ryder
All time: Lafleur


Best Power Forward:
Currently: Alexei Kovalev
All Time: Richard


Best Pure Goal scorer:
Currently: Alexei Kovalev/Ryder
All time: Lafleur


Best Defensive Forward:
Currently: Radek Bonk/Ward (I think he's underated :'( )
All time: Gainey


Best Offensive D-man:
Currently: Andrei Markov
All time:


Best Defensive D-man:
Currently: Komisarek (potentialy he could be)
All time: Robinson


Best Goaltender:
Currently: Jose Theodore
All time: Roy (though all were good )


Best Leader:
Currently: Saku Koiv / Souray
All time: Beliveau


Best Agitator:
Currently: Steve Begin / Ward
All time: Lemieux/Corson


Best Hitter:
Currently: Komisarek
All time: Robinson


Best Enforcer:
Currently: ...
All time: Nilan


Best Player:
Currently: Alexei Kovalev/Koivu/Ryder/Ribeiro (think potential again)
All Time: Lafleur/Beliveau/Richard/Naslund/Frank Mahovlich the 3 1/2 seasons he was with us

Shabutie is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 01:44 PM
  #68
JOHNNY V
Registered User
 
JOHNNY V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: BOSTON
Posts: 3,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Speaking of Bunny ... my parents still tell a story about a trip we took to Montreal to see the Flyers play the Habs in the late 70's.

When I was about 3 or 4 years old I knew all the starting goalies for each NHL team and a decent amount of the back-ups.

Apprently they we were on the subway to the game and my Dad asked me who were the goalies for the Habs and I kept thinking and thinking and thinking and finally said: "Rabbit Stone"

My Dad started laughing so hard he fell of his seat on the train.

What a stop by rabbit stone, John that a good one . :lol

JOHNNY V is offline  
Old
09-10-2004, 06:03 AM
  #69
rocketlives
Registered User
 
rocketlives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
No, the 2 I remember were 1] Gros Bill's favorite player, Larry Hillman. It wasn't really a beating but considering Fergy was tearing a path thru the league in those days, it was a loss. 2] Strangely,Simon Nolet, a decent Flyer before they became a tough team. It was back on one of those US network Saturday aft. games. Nolet gave it to him, won pretty decisively. Nolet was anything but a tough guy,guess it was just his day. Shack beat Ferguson ? Shack set records fleeing the scene when Fergy was on the ice.
I remember the Nolet fight as if it happened yesterday and there is no way Nolet won that fight. Nolet did draw first blood and looked like he would get the better of Fergie, but, relentlessly, Fergie hit him with his left like a piston and, when the linesmen finally separated them, Nolet's face was totally bloodied compared to a few cuts above the eyebrows for Fergie. I don't remember his fight against Larry Hillman.


rocketlives is offline  
Old
09-10-2004, 07:33 AM
  #70
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives
I remember the Nolet fight as if it happened yesterday and there is no way Nolet won that fight. Nolet did draw first blood and looked like he would get the better of Fergie, but, relentlessly, Fergie hit him with his left like a piston and, when the linesmen finally separated them, Nolet's face was totally bloodied compared to a few cuts above the eyebrows for Fergie. I don't remember his fight against Larry Hillman.

I can just remember Nolet having a free arm and him landing punch after punch, honestly I don't remember Fergy coming back like that. Not saying he didn't, I just don't remember it that way. Hey that's why we talk sports. Now what would be cool would be if we could somehow e mail Fergy and ask for his recollection of that one. On the other hand, remembering his temperment, I wouldn't suggest to him that he lost. rocket, I have a question, did HNIC begin Saturday telecasts in 54/55 or before ? I can remeber games from the early 60's and hockey was always discussed around my house. It never occurred to me that my father and relatives had only seen these players for 6/7 years and knew the game originally from radio.

mcphee is offline  
Old
09-10-2004, 07:59 AM
  #71
Stefan_Latulippe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I can just remember Nolet having a free arm and him landing punch after punch, honestly I don't remember Fergy coming back like that. Not saying he didn't, I just don't remember it that way. Hey that's why we talk sports. Now what would be cool would be if we could somehow e mail Fergy and ask for his recollection of that one. On the other hand, remembering his temperment, I wouldn't suggest to him that he lost. rocket, I have a question, did HNIC begin Saturday telecasts in 54/55 or before ? I can remeber games from the early 60's and hockey was always discussed around my house. It never occurred to me that my father and relatives had only seen these players for 6/7 years and knew the game originally from radio.
It start in 54-55. The games were on Saturday and only the second and third periods were shown as people were going to church on Saturday nights and SRC-CBC did not want to upset the church!!! I am only 35 but this story was told to me by my dads, grand-dad and uncles who are still alive today!

Stefan_Latulippe is offline  
Old
09-10-2004, 08:23 AM
  #72
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
It start in 54-55. The games were on Saturday and only the second and third periods were shown as people were going to church on Saturday nights and SRC-CBC did not want to upset the church!!! I am only 35 but this story was told to me by my dads, grand-dad and uncles who are still alive today!
Thanks. 54-55 makes rocketlives the perfect age to be a hockey fan. Think about it, he has had the oppurtunity to see every era available thru television. He's young enough to enjoy today's hockey but old enough to discuss Richard from experience, not just legend like I do. Stefan, I'd like to hear other sources regarding the reason for blacking out the first period. I remember when the game would be picked at 9.00 then 8.30 a few years later. I thought it was to ensure the game would be attended to capacity. I was raised Catholic and I thought Saturday evening mass only began in the mid to late 60's ? I remember so vividly waiting for the game to come on and hoping the Habs would be ahead. Funny how that type of broadcast would be unthinkable today. Carbo,Gros Bill or rocket, if you're out there, can you clear this one up ?

mcphee is offline  
Old
09-10-2004, 08:38 AM
  #73
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Sorry Stefan, I asked my father who made that derisive snorting sound that he makes when he disagrees. He made a good point. He said, 'who the hell told you that ? Why'd they do it in Toronto then ? They aren't Catholic.'

mcphee is offline  
Old
09-10-2004, 08:46 AM
  #74
rocketlives
Registered User
 
rocketlives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I can just remember Nolet having a free arm and him landing punch after punch, honestly I don't remember Fergy coming back like that. Not saying he didn't, I just don't remember it that way. Hey that's why we talk sports. Now what would be cool would be if we could somehow e mail Fergy and ask for his recollection of that one. On the other hand, remembering his temperment, I wouldn't suggest to him that he lost. rocket, I have a question, did HNIC begin Saturday telecasts in 54/55 or before ? I can remeber games from the early 60's and hockey was always discussed around my house. It never occurred to me that my father and relatives had only seen these players for 6/7 years and knew the game originally from radio.
We bought our first TV set in January 1953 and I remember watching the 1953 Stanley Cup series on TV. That year the Habs beat the Bruins in 5 games in the finals and Elmer Lack scored the winning goal in OT to give the Habs a 1-0 win and the Stanley Cup. When Rocket Richard scored his 325th goal to beat Nels Stewart's record on November 8th 1952, I remember listening to Michel Normandin's description of it on radio.

However, I don't think we bought our first black and white TV set the first year they came out. So it's possible the 1952 Stanley Cup's series with the Rocket's famous goal after suffering a concussion, against Boston to clinch the semi-finals
was televised by Radio Canada. In those days the games started at 8:00PM but the telecast started only at 8:30PM probably in order not to affect gate receipts. Usually we could watch the last minutes of the first period and the last two periods on TV.

Coming back to fist fights, the Rocket always said he hadn't lost a single fight in his career but he did lose one against Lou Fontinato of the Rangers and Lou was later on clobbered, demolished by Gordie Howe. So it's a good thing the Rocket never fought Gordie because he probably would have lost.



Last edited by rocketlives: 09-10-2004 at 09:11 AM.
rocketlives is offline  
Old
09-10-2004, 09:08 AM
  #75
Stefan_Latulippe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Sorry Stefan, I asked my father who made that derisive snorting sound that he makes when he disagrees. He made a good point. He said, 'who the hell told you that ? Why'd they do it in Toronto then ? They aren't Catholic.'
The french-canadian community was "controlled" by the catholic church until the 60's. I don't how about Ontario, but the church was controlling the governement, schools and hospitals.

I will tell my uncles, dad and other relatives that they are full of balloney then.

Stefan_Latulippe is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.