HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 10 vs. San Jose Sharks

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Artem Anisimov 7 4.58%
Marty Biron 20 13.07%
Ryan Callahan 144 94.12%
Erik Christensen 37 24.18%
Michael Del Zotto 18 11.76%
Andre Deveaux 9 5.88%
Brandon Dubinsky 52 33.99%
Marian Gaborik 12 7.84%
Dan Girardi 49 32.03%
Ryan McDonagh 33 21.57%
Brad Richards 12 7.84%
Michael Sauer 3 1.96%
Derek Stepan 8 5.23%
Wojtek Wolski 29 18.95%
Other 2 1.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-01-2011, 05:41 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
You don't move gaborik to the left side because it could have a big negative impact on his game. Some players can switch sides easily, some players really aren't comfortable with doing it. Gaborik has never struck me as a guy who comfortable on both sides

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:46 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Good game. San Jose looked gassed. They caught the Rangers at a bad time, and they got smacked around because of it. I like the fact that Prust threw them off balance by getting rid of Clowe for the 1st five mins of the game.

The PP looked great, but for some odd reason, San Jose didnt pressure the point men. They also didnt forecheck at all. Like I said, the looked gassed.

For the Rangers, something to build off of. No Lundqvist, No Staal, and they basically shut down a powerhouse team on a hot streak.

As for Thornton, there's a little bit of force to what he said, especially when you consider how rough-and-tumble the WC is. The Rangers dont have the big, bruising wingers and d-men up and down the lineup like you see in a lot of WC teams.

Still, it's funny how one of the softest players in the last 10 years says that about the team.

Just shut your mouth and go home. You had a great road trip. Yeah Joe, it takes a real man to call a team "soft" from your locker after the game when you're seconds from the bus to the airport. Call them soft before the game, and maybe I'll respect you a little more.

Clown.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:22 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I really liked the top 3 lines to be honest.

Wolski stepan and Gabby
Dubi Richards and Cally
Feds Boyle Prust

the 4th line needs some work. I know that AA had a goal and EC has 2 points or whatever, but i wasnt really all that impressed with their player other than on like maybe 2 or 3 shifts....they looked pretty meh for the most part...and Deveaux...eh...

Id love to see a 4th line of... Avery AA Hagelin
Why do you think Hagelin would develop better with 4th line minutes,than top 6 minutes in the A?

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:25 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Really good, to be honest. Awesome along the boards, created some good chances.
Really? I thought he was mediocre, in my opinion. Hockey's one of the most objective sports like that. Wolski had a good game,

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:25 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Elliotte Friedman touched on the Rangers #1 line

Quote:
Will John Tortorella stick with Richards/Ryan Callahan/Brandon Dubinsky? That line is similar to Richards/Loui Eriksson/James Neal in Dallas, and the centreman was very productive in that setup.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

Eriksson is the best offensive player in the group. Solid two way player.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:40 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
RYAN CALLAHAN and BRAD RICHARDS makes perfect sense together.

I said it this summer, and I think it was proven by what we saw last night. Like in broad terms a "playmaker" is not always a good fit with a "sniper". You need to narrow it down so much, and when you do you just see that Richards and Callahan are a match with each other.

Anyway, how about Dubinsky? Sure, he is ok on that line. But a perfect fit? Nah, that he is not. With Richards, you would definitely want someone with more sniping ability on that left side. I personally think GABORIK should play THERE.

What is so controversial about moving GABORIK over to the LEFT SIDE? I mean, if Gabby was a LW he would NO DOUBT play with Richards and Cally. And facts are that Gabby was a natrual LW coming out of Slovakia, and was moved to the right side in the NHL by Minny (were he was a bit back and forth early on). What he looses as a LW is the ability to cut into the ice and use his wrister. IS THAT A BIG LOSS? I think that uber predictable wrister when he goes up against a collected D has been very ineffective for years now. Nah, I'd go GABBY-RICHARDS-CALLAHAN for the 1st line.

Also, we need more skill up front. No doubt. Like that's one of two big issues that we will talk about after this season is over -- the lack of D and the lack of skill up front. There are no IF's and BUT's about it. If we move Gabby to the left side, we get a chance to give Zucc a shot at least at playing in a top 2 line role. DUBINSKY-STEPAN-ZUCCARELLO and Wolski-Anisimov-Fedetenko and Rupp/Avery-Boyle-Prust.

I really hope Torts would try it
I would have donated my next salary to see those lines for a few games.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:50 AM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Wow. Posters rip on Torts for mixing up the lines too much. We finally get lines out there with some actual chemistry and guess what: People start screaming for line changes. Just wow.

Keep the top six, Get Avery in the lineup and if a change is to be made, it's putting him on Boyles wing, moving Feds to play with Arty and Christ.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Christensen, Wolski, Callahan

Great game from everyone... all contributed.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:59 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:

I said it this summer, and I think it was proven by what we saw last night. Like in broad terms a "playmaker" is not always a good fit with a "sniper". You need to narrow it down so much, and when you do you just see that Richards and Callahan are a match with each other.

Anyway, how about Dubinsky? Sure, he is ok on that line. But a perfect fit? Nah, that he is not. With Richards, you would definitely want someone with more sniping ability on that left side. I personally think GABORIK should play THERE.

What is so controversial about moving GABORIK over to the LEFT SIDE? I mean, if Gabby was a LW he would NO DOUBT play with Richards and Cally. And facts are that Gabby was a natrual LW coming out of Slovakia, and was moved to the right side in the NHL by Minny (were he was a bit back and forth early on). What he looses as a LW is the ability to cut into the ice and use his wrister. IS THAT A BIG LOSS? I think that uber predictable wrister when he goes up against a collected D has been very ineffective for years now. Nah, I'd go GABBY-RICHARDS-CALLAHAN for the 1st line.

Also, we need more skill up front. No doubt. Like that's one of two big issues that we will talk about after this season is over -- the lack of D and the lack of skill up front. There are no IF's and BUT's about it. If we move Gabby to the left side, we get a chance to give Zucc a shot at least at playing in a top 2 line role. DUBINSKY-STEPAN-ZUCCARELLO and Wolski-Anisimov-Fedetenko and Rupp/Avery-Boyle-Prust.

If, and it may be a big if, Gabby can move over to the left side, those lines look tremendous.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Crusher just said his pass to Cally was basically luck.

Side note: Am I the only one who still thinks it's hilarious that his nickname is "Crusher?"
I called that in the GDT... He played a very good game but that was blind luck. Get the puck to the net and good things happen tho

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:13 AM
NYR Viper

I said it before Richards was even signed, the Rangers should not play Gaborik and Richards together except for on the PP. They both need the puck and (2) lines with 80 point players is better for the long-term health of the team. There aren't many teams who can shut-down (2) scoring lines.

Then use the Boyle line as a shut-down 3rd line.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I said it before Richards was even signed, the Rangers should not play Gaborik and Richards together except for on the PP. They both need the puck and (2) lines with 80 point players is better for the long-term health of the team. There aren't many teams who can shut-down (2) scoring lines.

Then use the Boyle line as a shut-down 3rd line.
It's a good theory but if they can't produce on different lines then you put them back together. Hopefully we get a Gaborik that's closer to 09-10 Gaborik and can do a lot by himself. He's definitely looking like a better player this year

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:21 AM
mullichicken25

my 2 cents:

- This game showed that the team can win with the style of game they play...its all about execution

- They clearly made a conscious effort to get the point man more involved in the offensive zone which is huge. That will help maintain possesion and extend plays, both of which lead to goals

- I'm liking the dubi - richards - cally and gaborik - everyone else line strategy we have going on. Clearly we were wrong about last year and Gaborik's slump had nothing to do with not playing with a #1 C

- PP looks better but still has a ways to go. Why the sharks played so passive against our point men, i will never know

- now im not sure about inserting avery into this lineup...maybe the players rallied to keep sean off the squad? (1/2 sarcasm) haha

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:27 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I wonder if Callahan saying "so ****ing soft" at the final buzzer had anything to do with it. Not sure what he was talking about but noticed it.
I actually think he said something more to the effect of "you're so ****ing TOUGH" because the player hit him on the head (not a head shot) when Cally was laying on the ice and couldn't respond.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:58 AM
The Lunatic Fridge

Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge

Is it just me or is cally a young robert englund? (freddy kruger)

The Lunatic Fridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:07 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

^ Put a red/grey striped sweater on.....yeah he can pass. That should of been his costume.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:14 AM
HAPPY HOUR

http://twitter.com/#!/KKurzCSN/statu...86430868328450

Joe Thornton calls the Rangers "the softest team that they played on the road this year". Hmm...

Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 11-01-2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: previously posted
HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
^ Put a red/grey striped sweater on.....yeah he can pass. That should of been his costume.
Lmao someone needs to photoshop him into the striped sweater.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:30 AM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Quote:

Agree with another poster that there is no need to tinker with lines that work (and make sense the way they set up). To your point of getting more skill in the line-up - I'd call up MZA to play with Anisimov and either Avery or Fedotenko on a 3rd line.

Otherwise, we finally saw the team that was successful last year so I hope that local nahsayers would calm down for a bit because the question is not "if" they can be win with this style and line up but "when".

Voted for WW and EC in addition to Cally. These two should deserve some recognition for well played game as much as they get maligned (deservingly) for bad games.

Loved Cally's goal but how good was the water spray goal from Artem!!!

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:36 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Joe Thornton calls Rangers " The softest team they played on the road so far".

http://eye-on-hockey.blogs.cbssports...94626/33064479

Old
11-01-2011, 09:41 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
http://twitter.com/#!/KKurzCSN/statu...86430868328450

Joe Thornton calls the Rangers "the softest team that they played on the road this year". Hmm...
That's like Matt Cooke calling a team dirty.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
If, and it may be a big if, Gabby can move over to the left side, those lines look tremendous.
I would sooner like Cally to play the left side. He's a right handed shot, and looks comfortable there on the PP.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:45 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
hahahaha..

Old
11-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Is Gaborik a natural RW or LW?

I thought he prefers to play on the right side.

Quote:
That's like Dany Heatley not being called an all-star.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
my 2 cents:

- This game showed that the team can win with the style of game they play...its all about execution
I think this type of reasoning really miss the point. You really get the impression that if show up, we will win. If we don't we will loose. If we don't win enough, of course the problem must be that Torts can't motivate the players!? Or? Is that really the case?

We all more or less saw "82 games" of Tortorella hockey last season. Undoubtedly, we can -- in certain sitautions -- work teams into the ground.

But do you seriously think its in our hands only wheater a game will look like the one last night or like the any of the previous, what is it now, 8-9 games???

IMHO, sure, we "tank"/"blow" games at times bey not putting in the work. But there is certainly many games where we face other difficulties than what we faced last night, were it don't matter if we show up or not -- we just cannot adjust and handle it.

In other words, I seriously do not doubt one bit that we over the course of this season will be able to take advantage of our fair share of teams that just cannot handle our forecheck and match our work ethic. The problem is that this league is not built in the way that it works to only be able to beat certain types of teams in certain situations -- in order to win ANYTHING you need to be able to beat EVERY team.

The legit question is if we are going in that direction? Could we today, post-lockout, with this system, beat "a team" that really sits down and trys to adjust and take advantage of how we play? Could we? If yes, could we then beat "any" team that does the above? Because thats what success in the PO's is all about. And seriously, 7 years into the rebuild, we darn ought to atleast get close to being able to have a little success in the PO's.

IMHO we are more and more starting to resemble that Atlanta Trashers team we beat in the PO's in 06'. Remember, that team won their division and finnished well ahead of us in the standings. Thats the NHL regular season for you -- because they were mighty flawed on the ice to tell you the truth. They played typical pre-lockout hockey. They had defensiveminded centers and D's who could provide a strong first line of defense. They stood up high defensively -- and when they won the puck they shipped it up the boards to streaking Kovalchuk's or Hossa's. Than they faced us, and we never let them win those pucks high up ice. We took our time in our transition game, played it safe, had guys like Nyls and co skate the puck up ice and entered the attacking zone while still having the puck. The result? Atlanta 4 out of 5 times gave the puck away right after getting it, while we 4 out of 5 time got the puck deep on them and made them play defense for 30-40 sec after they had lost the puck. They were also coached by a former cup winning coach in Bob Hartley. Another coach that defintiely was state of the art pre-lockout, but who could not adjust when the redline offside rule was removed.

We do not play Bob Hartley/Atlanta type of hockey under Torts. They lived much more on the counter attack than we do, and were hit even more. But there are simularities for sure -- neither Torts nor Hartley wanted anything to do with neutral zone hockey, if you get what I mean. Compare that to Anaheim, Detroit, Pitts and Boston when they won the cup. All 4 teams were very good keeping possession of the puck from their own end into the attacking zone.

I am not saying that the way we played before Torts came here is the way to go. There are question marks for sure about that style too. BUT, when we do play like we do under Torts now -- I would be very afraid, entering the PO's for example, of a team taking advantage of us the way that version of the Rangers took advantage of the Atlanta Trasher of that year. You say that we can win playing the way we do. I am afraid of the complete opposite, due to the fact that we play like we do.

Last edited by Ola: 11-01-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote