Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Warhead77
Jets4Life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegFalcon View Post
Big props to captain Ladd tonight. A pseudo-Gordie-Howe hat-trick. A (shootout) goal, an assist, and a scrap as he pretty much disposes of Skille out behind the wood shed.
Best game Ladd has played.

That is what we need from our Captain on a nightly basis.

Old
11-01-2011, 08:59 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
I am someone who is more ... then I am, and can clarify this.

Wow, I hear they have meds for that condition. Let me know when you get back to yourself on that one.

But seriously, let me know the deets on that, I want to learn a few more of the ins and outs of the CBA
holy **** man
thats what I get for not having my morning coffee

Old
11-01-2011, 09:00 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Question to the mods, why is it not okay to criticize other rinks obvious shortcomings in attendance (posts deleted) but okay for them to take jabs at our city in their threads?

It was pretty obvious there weren't 11885 people in the rink last night in Florida, isn't that news or something open for debate or discussion?

The poll in their game day GDT is not exactly complementary to Winnipeg.
What other fans do in their forums is irrelevent to how we conduct ourselves...

Old
11-01-2011, 09:04 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
To Mungman (and anyone else who is interested)
This is from the Business of Hockey Board

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=668895

Quote:
4.3 Extensions

When a player signs an extension, does it get averaged into the current year's salary cap number?
-- No. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=261641
Is an Extension actually a new contract or literally an extension of the player's current contract?
-- An Extension is a completely new contract that takes effect after the player's current contract expires. The CBA clarifies this in Section 50.5(f)(i).
When can a player sign an Extension? [CBA Section 50.5(f)(ii) and (iv)]
-- July 1st of their existing contract's final season for players on multi-year contracts.
-- January 1st for players currently on one-year contracts.
Can a team sign a player to a one-year deal and at the same time a second longer term Extension starting the following season, perhaps to manage the player's cap hit?
-- No, see the limitation above on when a player on a one-year deal can be Extended.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Guerzy
Good Canadian Lad

vCash: 69
Quote:
Question to the mods, why is it not okay to criticize other rinks obvious shortcomings in attendance (posts deleted) but okay for them to take jabs at our city in their threads?

It was pretty obvious there weren't 11885 people in the rink last night in Florida, isn't that news or something open for debate or discussion?

I am fine with a comment made in the form of "Wow, there are a lot of empty seats tonight", however, when it turns into poking fun at it, it just spirals out of control. Then, next thing you know (as it happened last night) the entire GDT and page of posts turns into a place where all that's being discussed is poking fun and degrading the fans of Florida (or whichever team). No sense in going there. It's pointless.

If others want to do that in their own GDT, have at it, but we would personally like to have a little more class here. If people can talk about it in a mature and respectful manner, then fine, it can stand, but if they can't (and last night they couldn't) the posts will be deleted.

Lastly, I think 9 out of 10 fans around here would rather discuss the game itself in a GDT, not attendance. So, if anyone would like to discuss the lack of attendance, the Business of Hockey is likely the best spot for it. We've been around this block dozens of times, and all it results in is deleted posts, warnings, infractions, etc. It's a road that goes nowhere, to put it bluntly.

11-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Quote:

Two things: 1) because we're classier than that, and
2) You have to be able to laugh at yourself (or develop a thick skin) to get through life. (I find the laughing the better method, thick skin can make you bitter).

Old
11-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I am fine with a comment made in the form of "Wow, there are a lot of empty seats tonight", however, when it turns into poking fun at it, it just spirals out of control. Then, next thing you know (as it happened last night) the entire GDT and page of posts turns into a place where all that's being discussed is poking fun and degrading the fans of Florida (or whichever team). No sense in going there. It's pointless.

If others want to do that in their own GDT, have at it, but we would personally like to have a little more class here. If people can talk about it in a mature and respectful manner, then fine, it can stand, but if they can't (and last night they couldn't) the posts will be deleted.

Lastly, I think 9 out of 10 fans around here would rather discuss the game itself in a GDT, not attendance. So, if anyone would like to discuss the lack of attendance, the Business of Hockey is likely the best spot for it. We've been around this block dozens of times, and all it results in is deleted posts, warnings, infractions, etc. It's a road that goes nowhere, to put it bluntly.
It doesn't go over well there either, the threads get shut pretty quickly (because to just turns into a spitting match). My preference is just leave it alone, it will NEVER end well when this gets brought up.

It always ends up with a stupid superiority thing. We've got a good thing, we always need to remember to support the good thing. There's no need to revel in others suffering, and after seeing what can happen when markets don't support a team the hardcore hockey fans in some of these markets are suffering. Here's hoping that things can get turned around, the league as a whole NEEDS the fan support.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:27 AM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post

Fair enough. My hope is for more Canadian teams.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Guerzy
Good Canadian Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
It doesn't go over well there either, the threads get shut pretty quickly (because to just turns into a spitting match). My preference is just leave it alone, it will NEVER end well when this gets brought up.

It always ends up with a stupid superiority thing. We've got a good thing, we always need to remember to support the good thing. There's no need to revel in others suffering, and after seeing what can happen when markets don't support a team the hardcore hockey fans in some of these markets are suffering. Here's hoping that things can get turned around, the league as a whole NEEDS the fan support.
Yep, it's all in the matter of how people conduct themselves. If you can have a mature and respectful conversation, 10 times out of 10 the thread and comments will stand. If that cannot be done, the conclusion is simple - thread.locked.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
To Mungman (and anyone else who is interested)
This is from the Business of Hockey Board

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=668895

4.3 Extensions

When a player signs an extension, does it get averaged into the current year's salary cap number?
-- No. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=261641
Is an Extension actually a new contract or literally an extension of the player's current contract?
-- An Extension is a completely new contract that takes effect after the player's current contract expires. The CBA clarifies this in Section 50.5(f)(i).
When can a player sign an Extension? [CBA Section 50.5(f)(ii) and (iv)]
-- July 1st of their existing contract's final season for players on multi-year contracts.
-- January 1st for players currently on one-year contracts.
Can a team sign a player to a one-year deal and at the same time a second longer term Extension starting the following season, perhaps to manage the player's cap hit?
-- No, see the limitation above on when a player on a one-year deal can be Extended.
Thanks for that, so it can't be signed until 1 Jan 12, but they could start the negotiations say beginning of December to have the deets worked out for then.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
IMO

Discussion of a lack of fans in a building is nothing more than a discussion of a lack of fans in a building. Unless the commentary veers toward "idiot ____ (fill in the blank) fans", it does not pass aspersions toward fans of other teams, it is simply an observation that not many of them paid and showed up to watch that particular game.

I didn't participate in the GDT thread last night but surely nothing was said that was any worse than this...

Quote:
Kids under the age of 16 who wore a costume got into Monday night’s game got in free of charge and the Panthers still only drew 11,855 for a division rivalry game. Too bad so many of those kids dressed up as empty seats … The only way you could get into a Jets game in Winnipeg for free would be if you dressed as David Thomson, and you actually were David Thomson … The Jets got off to a great start, perhaps because the former Thrashers felt at home playing in front of such a crappy crowd …

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../18906846.html

That was written last night by a local Winnipeg beat writer. In my view it is also not at all offside. We spent the previous 15 years being criticized for some small past Winnipeg crowds, when in reality those crowds were near the league average at the time and the old Winnipeg arena basically averaged an attendance equal to the number of seats that were worth sitting in and didn't feature partially blocked views.

While the above quoted snippet may appear harsh in the light of day, it really is simply a case of calling it what it was, unless some of you live in an alternate reality where a near half empty building is anything other than a poor turnout. If on HF Boards in the past and recent past Winnipeg was fair game for pointing out crowd sizes, then what is good for the goose is what is good for the gander.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:47 AM
sipowicz
The Original

Back on hockey now, I think both Jones and Oduya have played a lot better as of late, with the solid play of Stewart, Enstrom and Haisney when he returns we have the making of a pretty good defence.

Did I leave anyone out.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:53 AM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Way to contradict yourself.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Any word on Enstrom's injury yet? All I've seen is the ubiquitous "Upper Body Injury" with no outlook so far...

Old
11-01-2011, 09:59 AM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

Pretty sure it's his shoulder.

Old
11-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Pretty sure it's his shoulder.
Me too, I'm more interested in the prognosis for getting back into a game....

Old
11-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Guerzy
Good Canadian Lad

Gump Hasek,

While I agree with plenty of what you say, we are also the ones that have to clean up threads, and hand out warnings and infractions when things go down the hill. So, "Discussion of a lack of fans in a building is nothing more than a discussion of a lack of fans in a building" is simply not going to hold any water in this discussion. There is indeed a line to be crossed and when that line is crossed, we see what happens to threads, they get derailed. I've stated what is fine in terms of how to comment if one so chooses too, if people can do that then posts will stand, if not, they will be deleted. It's not just what is said as an observation, but also the context in which how the replies are made and what they lead us too. Whether some like it or not, choose to believe it or not, these comments and topics can lead a thread downhill quite quickly.

As of right now, this discussion is fine as I think it will be good for some to read and get a sense of where we're coming from.

Old
11-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Gm0ney
Way down in the hole

vCash: 500
Wellwood is apparently the solution to every line's problem! When we signed him, I'd heard he'd acquitted himself well in San Jose last year. Glad he's been such a big part of the early season here.

So, if you ignore that first week (MTL, CHI, PHX) the Jets are 4-3-1 in their last 8. And the only game we didn't have a chance was in Ottawa. A couple of bounces against the Rangers last week and TB the other night and they could've been 6-1-1.

At any rate, I don't think this team is anywhere near bad enough to "Fail for Nail". OTOH, are they good enough to make the playoffs?

Old
11-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Random thoughts:

Kane gets the ink for being the best Jet last night due scoring two goals, but in reality I believe that Wellwood played the better overall game with a goal, an assist, and the shootout clinching goal. He was also making smart head up plays all night. While Kane potted a couple and had two nice rushes where he moved the puck out of our own zone and up the ice, he also had a few shifts where he was extremely soft on the puck in their end and he weakly gave the puck away as a result. Kane could move into the elite category if he'd just utilize his linemates a bit more; his giveaways would decline if he'd just dump the puck to another Jet or into the corner rather than seemingly always trying to beat the opposition one on one.

Byfuglien with a few very poor and lazy passes behind teammates. On the other hand props to him for stepping up for Enstrom.

This team is still offensively challenged. Credit to Noel and staff for identifying their weakness though and for employing an aggressively pinching D along the boards against teams that rely upon the breakout along the wall, which is pretty much every other team we play. Our D consistently pinch hard against the breakout and the winger comes in for support and they really disrupt the play as a result. Eventually other teams will begin chipping it out up the middle a bit more against the Jets to break that up, but so good so far anyway.

On the other hand, there are long periods where we are hemmed in our end as a result of a far too passive checking system in our zone. Someone needs to step up and throw the body instead of just sitting back and allowing teams to wheel against us back there. Way too many shots against are coming as a result of passive play.

For all of the woe is me on this board of late though, the reality is that on the whole the team seems to be really improving recently. Both their breakouts and their offensive creativity in the other team's end have been outstanding at times, some quite fantastic play has gone unrecognized by our board. We've now won two out of the past three - all on the road, and won have three of the past five. Many of our losses were by one goal and on a few of those we deserved a better fate. I'm quite pleased with the results the coaching staff have been able to get from this group recently. Go Jets Go.

Old
11-01-2011, 10:17 AM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Random thoughts:

Kane gets the ink for being the best Jet last night due scoring two goals, but in reality I believe that Wellwood played the better overall game with a goal, an assist, and the shootout clinching goal. He was also making smart head up plays all night. While Kane potted a couple and had two nice rushes where he moved the puck out of our own zone and up the ice, he also had a few shifts where he was extremely soft on the puck in their end and he weakly gave the puck away as a result. Kane could move into the elite category if he'd just utilize his linemates a bit more; his giveaways would decline if he'd just dump the puck to another Jet or into the corner rather than seemingly always trying to beat the opposition one on one.

Byfuglien with a few very poor and lazy passes behind teammates. On the other hand props to him for stepping up for Enstrom.

This team is still offensively challenged. Credit to Noel and staff for identifying their weakness though and for employing an aggressively pinching D along the boards against teams that rely upon the breakout along the wall, which is pretty much every other team we play. Our D consistently pinch hard against the breakout and the winger comes in for support and they really disrupt the play as a result. Eventually other teams will begin chipping it out up the middle a bit more against the Jets to break that up, but so good so far anyway.

On the other hand, there are long periods where we are hemmed in our end as a result of a far too passive checking system in our zone. Someone needs to step up and throw the body instead of just sitting back and allowing teams to wheel against us back there. Way too many shots against are coming as a result of passive play.

For all of the woe is me on this board of late though, the reality is that on the whole the team seems to be really improving recently. Both their breakouts and their offensive creativity in the other team's end have been outstanding at times, some quite fantastic play has gone unrecognized by our board. We've now won two out of the past three - all on the road, and won have three of the past five. Many of our losses were by one goal and on a few of those we deserved a better fate. I'm quite pleased with the results the coaching staff have been able to get from this group recently. Go Jets Go.
Nice summary.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-01-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: I know you mean well, but his points are valid so long as the context of the conversation doesn't go too far off-topic..
Old
11-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Guerzy
Good Canadian Lad

I'm beginning to feel that guys are starting to get into a rhythm here. Burmistrov, Antropov, Wellwood, Ladd, Kane, Slater, Glass, Thorburn and even Stapleton are demonstrating some good things in their roles and are coming along here. With that being said, Little and Wheeler (combined for 0 goals through 11 games) can hopefully begin finding the score sheet.

Bogosian is really adjusting well in his game and role, Stuart has been a rock, Enstrom is a huge asset to this team and hopefully he is not out long, Hainsey will be a blessing once he returns, Jones has actually been alright on the bottom pairing, Oduya concerns me more so than not.

Pavelec seems to be coming along here and before Mason got hurt he was playing quite well.

If we can just get it together as an entire team here, I really like how we're looking. Everyone must get on the same page, however. I think if this team continues to work towards what the coaching staff wants, we'll level out as a pretty decent team this year that can *maybe* be in contention for a playoff spot. One thing that is encouraging about this group, is they work hard, and that's a huge plus. This team has quite a bit of character and is on their way to building and forming an identity, I think.

Old
11-01-2011, 10:18 AM
ps241
It's closing time.

For my money Pav's stood on his head and was full marks for this win.

I believe we are starting to get an identity and having Buff and especially Ladd stand up for an injured team mate was very big. Also coming back late in the game after blowing a lead twice on the road in the last 3 games shows we have character and don't quit.

I am impressed with how our team is competeing on this road trip so far!!

Last edited by ps241: 11-01-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old
11-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Way to contradict yourself.
Not a contradiction at all to say that if Winnipeg was fair game for supposedly small crowds (crowds that were in reality near equal to both the league averages at the time and as well the number of seats that were worth filling in an ancient retrofitted building that featured a few thousand partially blocked views), then others are fair game for half empty modern buildings where blocked views are of no concern.

Pointing out a small crowd is simply pointing out a small crowd. Credit to those that were there last night, too bad there weren't more of them though.

Old
11-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Hank Chinaski

Cringe-inducing stat du jour: Nik Antropov went 1 for 12 on the draw last night.

Old
11-01-2011, 10:38 AM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Cringe-inducing stat du jour: Nik Antropov went 1 for 12 on the draw last night.
Yeah, he couldn't win a faceoff against Marcel Goc for his life.

Closed Thread