HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question about realignment and its impact on the Wild...

Old
10-31-2011, 11:35 PM
StoneColdFlower*
El Sid

vCash: 500
Question about realignment and its impact on the Wild...

I'm a Penguins fan living in Canada and don't have a strong opinion one way or the other about the Wild (though like most denizens of Ottawa, I admittedly have little love for Heatley), but if realignment were to lead to your team being in a division with 4 teams playing in Canada, would it bother you at all? I know Minnesota is in the states, but hockey culture there is as strong as it is anywhere in Canada, and I can't picture Minnesota fans as being people who would prefer watching St. Louis and Columbus to Winnipeg and Vancouver simply because they're in the same country.

StoneColdFlower* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:45 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Yes, playing in a division with only Canadian teams would be problematic. Most of us want to play in the Central with American-only teams. I hate only having one other American team in the division as it is.

But then again, being in a division with Ottawa, Toronto and Edmonton for the next handful of years wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:50 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1534
Personally, I'd want at least one other American team in the division. Though I don't mind playing Canadian teams; actually, they're pretty fun to beat because the fans are very passionate.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:36 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

To be honest, I don't really care too much about how many teams in the division are from the States or Canada. It's low on the priority list....actually, I don't even have it on the list.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

i think its more a time zone thing than a canadian vrs. american thing for a lot of people too. The canucks, flames, and oilers aren't exactly a state over.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:10 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

I don't think we could care less who is in our division. We'd just like to even out the mileage so we don't have to travel as far. We travel 14k more than the Penguins. Although, they are in high class and should each have enough individual space to not get too cramped.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:21 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Well the realignment we want, the one where we face centrally located American teams, would mean tougher opponents. Perhaps we'd get better facing more talented competition on a consistent basis, but we would probably struggle even more right away probably even for years to come.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:38 AM
Wildlife

I would prefer to be in a division with all or mostly teams from the states. It's not so much a country thing though. As somebody said earlier, the timezone thing is an issue. Also, the Canadian teams seem to focus on each other and not care about Minnesota and Colorado now, so just imagine how bad it'd be with just us in the division.

I guess I just feel there would be a better potential for rivalries and such if we could play Chicago and the likes more.

Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

I don't think most people have a problem with playing Canadian teams, but I think it would make more sense geographically to play teams in the central division, or a variation of the central. The time zone issue comes into play here, along with the traditional rivalries. Chicago, Detroit, etc. would all be a good match for the Wild.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:59 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

There's only one problem playing all Canadian teams, that means we're in a division with a Pacific Time Zone team. The only 6 division realignment that makes even a modicum of sense is to put Winnipeg in the NW, Vancouver in the Pacific, and Dallas in the central.

Also, to anyone saying "this division would have harder teams." Team strength varies from year to year. It was just two years ago that Ottawa was one of the favorites in the East. In two years Edmonton and Colorado should be huge. Within the last decade, we had years when Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington, and Tampa Bay were complete jokes. If any division is going to be easy in the next few years in the west, it'll be the central. With Nashville's upcoming free agency crisis, St. Louis's apparent inability to find a competent goaltender, Chicago's cap issues and either Columbus's incompetence or Detroits complete lack of defense, the central is going to be extremely weak over the next 5 years at least.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:06 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Sid View Post
I'm a Penguins fan living in Canada and don't have a strong opinion one way or the other about the Wild (though like most denizens of Ottawa, I admittedly have little love for Heatley), but if realignment were to lead to your team being in a division with 4 teams playing in Canada, would it bother you at all? I know Minnesota is in the states, but hockey culture there is as strong as it is anywhere in Canada, and I can't picture Minnesota fans as being people who would prefer watching St. Louis and Columbus to Winnipeg and Vancouver simply because they're in the same country.
Being in a division with 4 Canadian teams is a nightmare I would like to avoid - none of those teams give a **** about us and there's no emotional attachment to any on my end. The Wild would be the ugly red-headed stepchild in that scenario. I'd so much rather have St. Louis and Columbus in Minnesota's division than Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary.

That said, I'm not anti-Canada and be fine with being in a division with Winnipeg due to travel and closeness. It's more of the fact that there is an emotional connection with the Chicago, Detroit and St. Louis of the world due to the North Stars and other Twin Cities teams being in the same division as these cities along with the travel. Vancouver is about the same distance as Miami to St. Paul and two time zones away - there's nothing worse than having every division road game start at 8:30 or 9:30 local time.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

First off, I sympathize with Pittsburgh and Philly fans. Why they want to break up that rivalry is beyond me. Swap Philly with Columbus. Guarantee they won't complain because they are still getting less travel.

But otherwise realignment takes care of several issues for the Wild:

- cuts down on travel
- all teams in the same time zone
- see more teams both home and away
- play more games against teams that are actually close
- back in the old Norris division so to speak

Look, the Detroit-Winnipeg sway scenario solves nothing at all. Yeah it works for a few Western teams, but there's still a ton of problems. The 4-division realignment makes so much sense for just about all teams involved, aside from a few selfish owners in the East that don't want to ever travel.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:30 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
First off, I sympathize with Pittsburgh and Philly fans. Why they want to break up that rivalry is beyond me. Swap Philly with Columbus. Guarantee they won't complain because they are still getting less travel.

But otherwise realignment takes care of several issues for the Wild:

- cuts down on travel
- all teams in the same time zone
- see more teams both home and away
- play more games against teams that are actually close
- back in the old Norris division so to speak

Look, the Detroit-Winnipeg sway scenario solves nothing at all. Yeah it works for a few Western teams, but there's still a ton of problems. The 4-division realignment makes so much sense for just about all teams involved, aside from a few selfish owners in the East that don't want to ever travel.
The 4-division realignment can actually make a lot of sense for those teams that are being "hurt" by it. Move Philly, Pittsburgh, and Columbus into the southeast. The Pens still have the Flyers, and gain both Columbus (which is like 3 hours away) and Washington. The Northeast gets to keep their little group together and pick up the NYC teams. Sure, there's a little more west coast travel, but they cut down on the travel to the southeast too. Detroit can be happy because of a reduction in west coast trips, as well as getting to keep Chicago. No division has more than 2 time zones and there's almost no rivalries broken up because of the move.

Also fun to consider is keeping the East/West divide but keeping 3 divisions in the East and having 2 in the West. Since they don't meet until the cup game, having different playoff formatting shouldn't make a huge difference. But I digress...

Old
11-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 50
Being in the Central would, in my mind, get the general public more interested in the Wild. Especially if somehow Detroit gets screwed over completely and is forced to remain in the west.

In football were divison rivals with the Chicago Bears and the Detroit Lions.

In baseball were rivals with the Chicago White Sox and Detroit Tigers.

It would make sense for our hockey team to have rivalries with the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Redwings.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:41 PM
se7en
infamous...

I actually like being with the Canadian teams & I really wouldnt care if they left Minnesota alone with all Canada (Canucks, Flames, Oilers, & Jets) BUT I'm selfish in that because live in California so the game start times don't effect me at all. For me the later the better. Im still working for 2 hours when the games start in EST at 7pm haha..

Also, its not like im the one doing the traveling and its not like these guys are traveling in a beat up old bus, they fly on private jets in nicer than first class accomodations. Ya, Im sure customs can be a hassle but Im sure its not that bad. I fly to Vancouver 3 to 5 times a year & thats as a regular passenger & I dont think customs has ever taken me more than 10 minutes to get thru..

Now with that all said (and now Ill stop being selfish)

Minnesota really should be in the central or at least with some central teams. I dont really care how they re-work it but I would really like to be with Chicago, Detroit & Dallas (I think it would be fun to build a rivalary with our old team). Being in a different division would be better for the players & the fans and I think we'd benefit from it alot in many aspects..

As for the way things are now & the Canadian teams "not caring about us" thats just because we're not very good... If we become a powerhouse in the next few years I dont think one Wild fan would complain about watching Minnesota knock around 4 Canadian teams for a few years, also Im sure the Canadian teams would care about us then! haha Im not saying that will happen or anything but basically im saying that if youre a good team it doesnt matter what division youre in or who you play. Rivalries come from more than just geography...

/rant

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:07 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I'd honestly say screw Detroit moving East. Nashville should be in the SE to replace Atlanta.

From there, the western conference gets dicey...

Move Vancouver to the Pacific
Dallas to the Central.
Winnipeg to the NW.

Pacific: Anaheim, LA, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver
Central: Dallas, Columbus, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis
Northwest: Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Minnesota, Colorado

Still not ideal for our travel schedule, but it does remove the two time zone shifts for both Minnesota and Dallas.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:09 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I'd honestly say screw Detroit moving East. Nashville should be in the SE to replace Atlanta.

From there, the western conference gets dicey...

Move Vancouver to the Pacific
Dallas to the Central.
Winnipeg to the NW.

Pacific: Anaheim, LA, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver
Central: Dallas, Columbus, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis
Northwest: Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Minnesota, Colorado

Still not ideal for our travel schedule, but it does remove the two time zone shifts for both Minnesota and Dallas.
Nashville makes no sense to move. You don't move a stable (but not strong) CST team into a conference with all EST teams when there are two EST teams that desperately want to move.

Moving Columbus makes the most sense, and would be the easiest to get support for (ignoring petty Detroit politicking).

Old
11-01-2011, 11:20 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Nashville makes no sense to move. You don't move a stable (but not strong) CST team into a conference with all EST teams when there are two EST teams that desperately want to move.

Moving Columbus makes the most sense, and would be the easiest to get support for (ignoring petty Detroit politicking).
Nashville has that same issue Columbus has in that the cities they see as rivals are in another division. Nashville is a SE city closer to Raleigh in distance and culture.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Outlandish

Never having left the country myself I have no idea how much effect it has, but I'd have to think that being in a division with 4 Canadian teams would have an impact on our ability to sign free agents. Players already want to play in the East for the easier travel conditions and I can't imagine that adding in a trip through customs on every divisional away game would not make players consider even more strongly a lesser offer from a better travel team.

Being in a division with all Canadian teams wouldn't bother me at all outside of that concern I think, especially if we got Winnipeg in there as that's a nice geographical match. Frankly, I don't think we have any strong rivalries now and won't until we get some more significant playoff history with some teams. I'll admit I'd rather build those rivalries against Chicago and Dallas but it's really the free agency thing that has me worried as the biggest potential realignment pitfall.

Outlandish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:28 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Nashville has that same issue Columbus has in that the cities they see as rivals are in another division. Nashville is a SE city closer to Raleigh in distance and culture.
But Nashville is a stable franchise that has acclimated to its environment. Moving them doesn't really help anyone, at least not any more than it helps another option (Columbus gaining 3 more matchups with Pittsburgh would be tremendous). The biggest issue in the west is time zone splits, so there's just no good reason to move a CST team east when there are EST teams in the west.

Old
11-02-2011, 12:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Which is why the great part about the realignment plan is that you play more games against all other teams and fewer conference games, so it isolates those kind of travel and time zone problems.

Old
11-02-2011, 12:32 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
But Nashville is a stable franchise that has acclimated to its environment. Moving them doesn't really help anyone, at least not any more than it helps another option (Columbus gaining 3 more matchups with Pittsburgh would be tremendous). The biggest issue in the west is time zone splits, so there's just no good reason to move a CST team east when there are EST teams in the west.
Just explaining their rationale for why Nashville fans want to be in the SE.

However it's funny to see Nashville as a "stable franchise" being three or four years removed from the "Phoenix relocation" label. Just goes to show the strength of winning and help.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Also, stable ownership that's not in legal trouble.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:22 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
However it's funny to see Nashville as a "stable franchise" being three or four years removed from the "Phoenix relocation" label. Just goes to show the strength of winning and help.
Nashville has never rightfully been pasted with the relocation label. A lot of (Canadian) people have made comments about it, but these are the same people who talk about Columbus as a sunbelt team and gossip about how Dallas and San Jose are going to be the next to move.

Old
11-02-2011, 11:37 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Nashville has never rightfully been pasted with the relocation label. A lot of (Canadian) people have made comments about it, but these are the same people who talk about Columbus as a sunbelt team and gossip about how Dallas and San Jose are going to be the next to move.
Remember the Hamilton Predators?