HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Torts doesn't burn Joe Thornton after Rangers are called soft

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geffres View Post
You guys are basically arguing about the same thing, over, over, over, and over its incredible to read the first two pages, skip over two pages same stuff.

Anyways bottom line:

1. Joe Thorton as a professional shouldn't have went out and called the Rangers soft to the media. Its what started this whole debacle.

2. As a someone who has played hockey my whole life (im sure a bunch of you have), one of the worst things you can say about a team is that they are soft.

3. Torts as the Rangers coach, has to defend the team. If he doesn't defend them at all, well then thats pretty soft isn't it? You don't just let a guy rip your team like that, I am not sure if these two play again, but Thorton will def be hearing from some of the Rangers enforcers

4. Torts is right when he says Joe hasn't won anything in this league. Thats a fact, he wasn't talking individual awards, he didn't say Joe was a bad player, he said he has no right to talk due to the fact he hasn't won a cup. This just in: he hasn't and Tort has. I don't care if your the freaking equipment manager, if you are apart of a team, and you help make it happen you deserve your name on the hardware.

This could have been avoided if Big Joe wasn't so sour about a bad loss, I like the guy and have no problems with the Sharks, but after you lose don't comment about the other team.

-sportsfallout.blogspot.com

P.S. nobody get all salty over my comments either im just trying to call it how I see it regardless that I am a Rangers fan
The problem is that Torts isn't in a position to parade out about winning anything in the league. He hasn't either and he hasn't even played in the league. He coached a team and that's vastly different and nowhere close to comparable to what a player has to go through. The best part is that people will fine and dandy with Torts' comment even though he never has to own up to it or back it up in the slightest since he never has to lace up the skates against Thornton.

Old
11-02-2011, 02:47 PM
lebear
I have no idea

Big deal, this isn't even thread-worthy. Thornton said something stupid in frustration after losing, Torts replied in his usual manner.

Old
11-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The problem is that Torts isn't in a position to parade out about winning anything in the league. He hasn't either and he hasn't even played in the league. He coached a team and that's vastly different and nowhere close to comparable to what a player has to go through. The best part is that people will fine and dandy with Torts' comment even though he never has to own up to it or back it up in the slightest since he never has to lace up the skates against Thornton.
Honestly, this shows how little you know about the internal workings of a team. A coach is such a vital piece of a successful organization.

Were you on any teams growing up? Stop belittling what he does just because he doesn't lace up skates.

Old
11-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Honestly, this shows how little you know about the internal workings of a team. A coach is such a vital piece of a successful organization.

Were you on any teams growing up? Stop belittling what he does just because he doesn't lace up skates.
Are you kidding me? I never said a coach isn't a vital piece so stop making stupid assumptions. I said he didn't win anything and he didn't. His players did. The best coach in the world doesn't do squat unless he has players to work with. It's the players that still have to go out there and win.

For someone like Torts to tell a player to shut up because he hasn't won anything is hypocritical of him because he was never a player and never won anything as one.

Old
11-02-2011, 02:58 PM
ArcataShark
Anyone say comeback?

Funny thread. Would be nice to play them a few more times this year. Sharks v. Rangers for the Cup...

Old
11-02-2011, 02:58 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
I agree with the first part but disagree with the second part. It absolutely does the Sharks good for the captain to openly say something like this because it holds the team accountable for a crappy effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
Except that's not what he meant. He is criticizing his own team's effort (or lack thereof). He isn't running his mouth; poor word choice contributes to the problem.

Aka It was NEVER a shot at the Rangers... although it seemed like one at first.
Then he shouldn't have called the team they faced soft. I'm not pretending to know his exact intentions, but what he did was insult the Rangers. He ran his mouth, and later apologized for it. As someone else said, every hockey player knows that calling an individual or an entire team soft is an insult.

In the end, from the outside of both teams looking in, both Thornton and Torts come out looking bad.

If Thornton was trying to direct attention toward his team, he should have said something along the lines of 'we didn't play hard enough.' Instead, he insulted the team who beat them.

If Torts wanted to defend his team, he should have refrained from personal insults to Thornton -- as if Thornton's comments would have been fine if he had won the Cup.

Both parties acted unprofessionally and somewhat immaturely to my mind.

Old
11-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Clowe Me

Tortorella had every right to say Thornton's comments were out of line and classless. But, when you call out a player on his individual accomplishments when you never got out of low minors, your just a fool. Thornton has won individual awards and team awards (olympics, tournaments, even in swiss-a). Yes, he hasn't been on a cup winning team, YET. He has a good 8 years left in the NHL and could someday be a middle aged coach like "Torts". The book on Joe is far from closed. To somehow justify Tortorella's comments of Joe as a player is just plain homerism.

Old
11-02-2011, 03:02 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
It's like you're ignoring the frustration aspect of it. You're not always going to be cool and say the right thing when you're angry at your team's performance. Thornton's never been known as the guy to say the right thing at the right time to the media.

Thornton's not worried about the Rangers and being outshot by them. It's irrelevant. He's lashing out so that his team doesn't let that poor effort happen again. Besides, everyone knows that if the Rags were the first game on this trip, the result in terms of effort is a lot different. This happened because it was three games in four nights at the end of a long road trip. They were gassed and they didn't push through it.

If the Sharks were tired and unable to perform, wouldnt that make them "soft"?

Plus, the Sharks were off the night before, and Thornton was given the day off in NYC by his coach.

On OCT 17, the Sharks dominated the Ducks in the 3rd game in 4 nights, and the second night in a row. Seems like they pick and choose when they want to dominate. Sounds pretty "soft" to me.

It's already been established in a previous post (which you ignored, natuarlly) that the Sharks were rested for the Rangers game. They played in Long Island, then had a whole day off, then played the Rangers.

Holy Excuse Train.....

Old
11-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post

Plus, the Sharks were off the night before, and Thornton was given the day off in NYC by his coach.

On OCT 17, the Sharks dominated the Ducks in the 3rd game in 4 nights, and the second night in a row. Seems like they pick and choose when they want to dominate. Sounds pretty "soft" to me.

It's already been established in a previous post (which you ignored, natuarlly) that the Sharks were rested for the Rangers game. They played in Long Island, then had a whole day off, then played the Rangers.

Holy Excuse Train.....
Why do you think he was angry at the team for it? But to pretend like they were rested for it is pretty silly. One day doesn't exactly recharge the batteries to full. The Sharks were soft in that game and they didn't have their legs. It was their own fault for not pushing through that wall and Thornton was pretty angry over that.

Old
11-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Are you kidding me? I never said a coach isn't a vital piece so stop making stupid assumptions. I said he didn't win anything and he didn't. His players did. The best coach in the world doesn't do squat unless he has players to work with. It's the players that still have to go out there and win.

For someone like Torts to tell a player to shut up because he hasn't won anything is hypocritical of him because he was never a player and never won anything as one.
He absolutely won the cup. A coach wins the cup. He's as much a part of the team as the star that led them there.

Old
11-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post

Holy Excuse Train.....
Sharks sucked monday night. NYR didn't. Thornton made stupid comments towards NYR. Tortorella made stupid comments towards Thornton.

Old
11-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
He absolutely won the cup. A coach wins the cup. He's as much a part of the team as the star that led them there.
That is crap and you know it. A coach doesn't have to take a single hit. Players make much more of a sacrifice and have to do a hell of a lot more than a coach does to get to that point.

Old
11-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Can you not see the fallacy, though, in a guy who NEVER played anywhere near the NHL basically calling a 1st overall pick who scored his 1000th point by the age of 31 a "loser"? It would be like Ken Hitchcock calling Jeremy Roenick a loser because he never won a championship.

Old
11-02-2011, 03:25 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Sharks sucked monday night. NYR didn't. Thornton made stupid comments towards NYR. Tortorella made stupid comments towards Thornton.
Well, if both teams make it to the SCF....it'll certainly give the media and fans a little more to talk about.

As a Rangers fan, I think nothing negative can come out of an opposing player (a good one at that) calling you team "soft"

I mean, look at the Devils after Gretzky called their org. "Mickey Mouse". It only took them 12 years to win a Cup after that.

Old
11-02-2011, 03:31 PM
StalockSuperfan

Surprised to hear laid back Joe say something like that. Not at all surprised to hear moronic hothead torts respond like that. I didn't know that if you hadn't won a cup you couldn't say anything negative about anyone. Ever.

Old
11-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
That is crap and you know it. A coach doesn't have to take a single hit. Players make much more of a sacrifice and have to do a hell of a lot more than a coach does to get to that point.
Unless its someone like Gretzky leading your team, then yes I stand by it.

Old
11-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Unless its someone like Gretzky leading your team, then yes I stand by it.
Doesn't even matter who is leading your team. It's the players that have to win the battles and make the sacrifices and play for each other. There's a reason why the Cup is handed to the captain and not the coach.

Old
11-02-2011, 03:51 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

This has just gotten ridiculously silly. Closing.