HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Torts doesn't burn Joe Thornton after Rangers are called soft

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2011, 05:29 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Good response from Torts, you don't want to get into trading insults with players through the media when you're a coach

As for Thornton, probably born out of frustration in losing, but in the end the comment doesn't mean much. The Rangers aren't a soft overall team, and they didn't need to be the most physical team last night against the Sharks.

Also, for all the *****ing about the Sharks road trip, I'll take that versus the schedule the Rangers had to start the season (including preseason, etc).

Old
11-01-2011, 05:55 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
When you guys go on a road trip and do a 3 in 4, then let me know how you do. Can't believe people in here don't understand frustration. Rangers weren't exactly the best or toughest team they played on this road trip. They just caught the Sharks at the right time.
Someone looking for sympathy about a road trip from the Rangers? Seriously?

You realize they started in Europe, played a single game in Long Island, and then swung out to the west coast, hitting the likes of Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Vancouver, right?

Old
11-01-2011, 05:58 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Also, for all the *****ing about the Sharks road trip, I'll take that versus the schedule the Rangers had to start the season (including preseason, etc).
This was the easier Sharks road trip. They have a 9 game road trip coming up. 40% of their road games in 2 trips.

11-01-2011, 06:04 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
^^ LOL

Should have won Joe? haha your team was dominated. Instead of insulting the other team how about just say that the effort wasn't there from OUR guys, etc blah blah blah.

Torts took the high road here.
what's funny is the guy swinging his stick is one of the biggest divers and embellishers around. it's embarrassing when guys like Joe and Franzen do that

Old
11-01-2011, 06:55 AM
SeriousHabs

Thornton said something similar a few years back after his Sharks lost to the Habs. He could barely contain his tears. It is really quite pathetic.

Old
11-01-2011, 07:11 AM
Hal2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post

You realize they started in Europe, played a single game in Long Island, and then swung out to the west coast, hitting the likes of Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Vancouver, right?
post of the year

Old
11-01-2011, 07:14 AM
Hal2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveland View Post
Just start watching hockey?
Maybe you should. Or stop being so dense. Or both.

Old
11-01-2011, 07:26 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Tortorella is a clown. JMO.

Old
11-01-2011, 07:26 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

honey torts don't care

Old
11-01-2011, 07:35 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
I love Diamond Joe.

Old
11-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Uber Coca

I remember Thornton saying the Habs were soft after they took the win over San Jose a few years ago. At that time I thought he was just bitter from his old days with Boston when Koivu practically showed him how to play in the playoffs... He's obviously only a sore loser.

Old
11-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Ari91

Torts can go either way with his comments. He can either blast you or appear disinterested - either way the meaning is the same - he doesn't give a crap what other people have to say. Though I wouldn't call this a burn.

And the Sharks winning or losing is irrelevant to what Joe said becaues he was basically saying that they are a better team and should have come out of that game with the 2 points. I don't like his comments, particularly because it suggests that the Sharks went into the game thinking they would coast to a victory and they paid the price for not taking their opponents as seriously because they think they're 'soft'. Any team is beatable on any given night. Edmonton ended Washington's undefeated streak. Leafs ended the Penguins 5 game win streak, etc. If you go into a game underestimating your opponent, then it's poetic justice when you end up losing to them.

Old
11-01-2011, 07:58 AM
FXBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
I remember Thornton saying the Habs were soft after they took the win over San Jose a few years ago. At that time I thought he was just bitter from his old days with Boston when Koivu practically showed him how to play in the playoffs... He's obviously only a sore loser.
This is so true. I remember during those times Thornton was a top 3 center in the league and Koivu was just a average 1st liner all season long... and when playoffs started it was the exact opposite, every time.

Thornton is a loser.

Old
11-01-2011, 08:04 AM
Capt Brycey Poo
Im back baby!

Good one Joe

Old
11-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Cannot believe Mr. Softee himself called the Rangers soft.

Old
11-01-2011, 08:07 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

That's a pretty weak comment from Joe.

Old
11-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
That's a pretty weak comment from Joe.
As un-clutch a comment I have ever heard.

Typical regular season comment from Joe.

Old
11-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Torts can go either way with his comments. He can either blast you or appear disinterested - either way the meaning is the same - he doesn't give a crap what other people have to say. Though I wouldn't call this a burn.

And the Sharks winning or losing is irrelevant to what Joe said becaues he was basically saying that they are a better team and should have come out of that game with the 2 points. I don't like his comments, particularly because it suggests that the Sharks went into the game thinking they would coast to a victory and they paid the price for not taking their opponents as seriously because they think they're 'soft'. Any team is beatable on any given night. Edmonton ended Washington's undefeated streak. Leafs ended the Penguins 5 game win streak, etc. If you go into a game underestimating your opponent, then it's poetic justice when you end up losing to them.
It's still kind of a weird statement because it's not like the Sharks outplayed the Rangers overall and "should have won" the game. I guess he can feel like "if we played harder then we would have been better than them and would have won" but there's a lot of "ifs" in a statement like that, and despite their slow start, the Rangers aren't a ****** team.

Old
11-01-2011, 08:21 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Burns View Post
As someone else said, it's not like he was lying. Of the teams the Sharks played on this 6 game road trip, Rags were by far the softest. Every other team muscled up against them.
Still, it's an extremely weak thing to say for two reasons:

1) Minus one spurt in the second period, the Sharks were dominated in every aspect of the game.

2) He called them "soft" after the game. Oh, and how convenient that the Sharks don't play the Rangers again this season.

For example, earlier this season, the Sharks absolutely dominated the Ducks, outshot them by almost 2:1, and outhit them in a 3-2 loss. The Sharks were clearly the better team in a game that was not particularly physical (one fight, one roughing minor), yet after the game, Thornton didn't say a peep about how they should have won.
Funny that they play the Ducks a lot this season.

Either way, Joe still looks small making a comment like that. Even if the Rangers are "soft" compared to the other teams they played, they lost the game fair and square.

Old
11-01-2011, 08:24 AM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Diverting attention after a loss, imo.

Old
11-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post

I realize what the Rangers have done this year and it's still weak compared to what the Sharks and most western teams do. The Rangers went to Europe, had a week off, played in Long Island, and then did the four team western Canadian road trip which was done every other day.

Like I said, do a 3 in 4 and then tell me how you did. The Rangers road trip is a cake walk compared to what the Sharks normally do. A 3 in 4 is much tougher than doing 4 games each separated by a day off. It's not even a contest.

Old
11-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I realize what the Rangers have done this year and it's still weak compared to what the Sharks and most western teams do. The Rangers went to Europe, had a week off, played in Long Island, and then did the four team western Canadian road trip which was done every other day.

Like I said, do a 3 in 4 and then tell me how you did. The Rangers road trip is a cake walk compared to what the Sharks normally do. A 3 in 4 is much tougher than doing 4 games each separated by a day off. It's not even a contest.
Blah blah, we beat you guys pretty bad. That's all that matters, really. Our team hasn't had a chance to gel and has been working without two of our top four D for a while now. Luckily Sauer is back (and the team is a LOT better with him).

Old
11-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Blah blah, we beat you guys pretty bad. That's all that matters, really. Our team hasn't had a chance to gel and has been working without two of our top four D for a while now. Luckily Sauer is back (and the team is a LOT better with him).
I'm not saying otherwise. Rangers caught the Sharks on a good day to beat them. It was plain as day. Do you honestly think that if the Sharks were starting a road trip instead of ending a road trip that you'd see the same result? I don't think any rational person would say yes.

Old
11-01-2011, 08:46 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:

Last night wasn't even the second of a back-to-back. I mean, do you guys know how close Nassau Colliseum is to Midtown? I'll bet the Sharks didnt even stay at a hotel on the Island.

The Sharks got to NYC early Saturday morning. They played the Isles in Nassau, and had to drive a whopping 40 mins to midtown to check in to a hotel and not play for almost 48 hours.

On top of that, the Sharks' veterans were given Sunday off. That's on the coach. If the vets (who played like garbage last night) can't find the wherewithal to show up for a game after a day off, then maybe they shouldn't be given days off.

Playing two games in three nights is the NYC area is a joke as far as travel goes. Everyone in the league knows it.

Old
11-01-2011, 08:50 AM
nyrfan1026

Quote:
I'm not saying otherwise. Rangers caught the Sharks on a good day to beat them. It was plain as day. Do you honestly think that if the Sharks were starting a road trip instead of ending a road trip that you'd see the same result? I don't think any rational person would say yes.
Talk about grasping for straws there buddy. If that helps you feel better about it, sure if you say so. Not the best of arguments.

Closed Thread