HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Torts doesn't burn Joe Thornton after Rangers are called soft

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-01-2011, 08:54 AM
  #101
skroob**
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
When you guys go on a road trip and do a 3 in 4, then let me know how you do.
Vancouver, Winnipeg, Calgary. And that was two weeks ago.

Anything else???

skroob** is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 08:56 AM
  #102
SomebodySaveKreider
Registered User
 
SomebodySaveKreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Last night wasn't even the second of a back-to-back. I mean, do you guys know how close Nassau Colliseum is to Midtown? I'll bet the Sharks didnt even stay at a hotel on the Island.

The Sharks got to NYC early Saturday morning. They played the Isles in Nassau, and had to drive a whopping 40 mins to midtown to check in to a hotel and not play for almost 48 hours.

On top of that, the Sharks' veterans were given Sunday off. That's on the coach. If the vets (who played like garbage last night) can't find the wherewithal to show up for a game after a day off, then maybe they shouldn't be given days off.

Playing two games in three nights is the NYC area is a joke as far as travel goes. Everyone in the league knows it.
Quoted for truth. Anyone that knows the Tri-State area knows how close MSG, The Coliseum and even the Prudential Center are to each other.

And besides, if Thornton is going to call people for being soft, he should start with his teammate Patrick Marleau, who has the mental toughness of a Nerf ball wrapped in Charmin Ultra Soft .

SomebodySaveKreider is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 08:58 AM
  #103
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I'm not saying otherwise. Rangers caught the Sharks on a good day to beat them. It was plain as day. Do you honestly think that if the Sharks were starting a road trip instead of ending a road trip that you'd see the same result? I don't think any rational person would say yes.
It's a bit much to ask eastern team fans to understand this. They haven't been watching the sharks and they don't understand the level of traveling western teams do.

The sharks laid an egg and most sharks fans could see it coming a mile away after the isles win. The rudimentary defensive errors and compete level problems were obvious.

Phu is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 08:58 AM
  #104
bleedteal12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 2,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Last night wasn't even the second of a back-to-back. I mean, do you guys know how close Nassau Colliseum is to Midtown? I'll bet the Sharks didnt even stay at a hotel on the Island.

The Sharks got to NYC early Saturday morning. They played the Isles in Nassau, and had to drive a whopping 40 mins to midtown to check in to a hotel and not play for almost 48 hours.

On top of that, the Sharks' veterans were given Sunday off. That's on the coach. If the vets (who played like garbage last night) can't find the wherewithal to show up for a game after a day off, then maybe they shouldn't be given days off.

Playing two games in three nights is the NYC area is a joke as far as travel goes. Everyone in the league knows it.
And before that we played in Detroit, which is always a slugfest between our two teams. It doesn't matter if it wasn't the second of a back-to-back--fact is, it was the end of a six-game, Eastern road trip.

Also, this snarking from Rangers fans about a tough schedule pisses me off. Yes, you started in Europe. Yes, that sucks. But have you taken a look at our schedule? Two games in twelve days to start October, six-game road trip at the end of October, nine-game road trip in February, a total of nine home games between January and February. Not to mention we regularly have the most miles traveled, by a large margin.

You may have started out the season on a road trip and on another continent, but by far you have the easier schedule the rest of the year. No contest.

bleedteal12 is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:00 AM
  #105
JT Kreider
Registered User
 
JT Kreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,265
vCash: 500
You would think with the attitude of some of the sharks fans that sj was some great illustrious franchise with multiple cups. Man up and accept the loss "jumbo". Kinda ironic how pavelski is the far better joe in town these days anyway. Way more deserving of the C

JT Kreider is online now  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:03 AM
  #106
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan1026 View Post
You would think with the attitude of some of the sharks fans that sj was some great illustrious franchise with multiple cups. Man up and accept the loss "jumbo". Kinda ironic how pavelski is the far better joe in town these days anyway. Way more deserving of the C
Lol pavelski is awesome but the reason he will probably compete for the art ross this year is because he is the 3rd best player on his line. Or rather the 3rd defensive concern. Don't kid yourself. They are going to worry about the 90 assist guy and the 40 goal scorer that's one of the fastest in the league first.


Last edited by Phu: 11-01-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Phu is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:07 AM
  #107
bleedteal12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 2,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan1026 View Post
You would think with the attitude of some of the sharks fans that sj was some great illustrious franchise with multiple cups. Man up and accept the loss "jumbo". Kinda ironic how pavelski is the far better joe in town these days anyway. Way more deserving of the C
Ah, the old "Well you have no Cups, so there" argument. Gotta love it.

As for the other part of your post: Pavs is an awesome player, has consistently been our clutchiest player, but he's benefiting from being fed passes from Thornton and the speed of Marleau. It's stupid to pretend otherwise. Pavelski very possibly could get the C a few years down the road, but through no fault of Thornton's.

bleedteal12 is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:16 AM
  #109
PizzaSteak
Registered User
 
PizzaSteak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: nj
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
I'm sorry, but can ANY sharks fans see the irony in Joe Thornton calling anyone else out for being soft?

PizzaSteak is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:16 AM
  #110
JT Kreider
Registered User
 
JT Kreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,265
vCash: 500
The only thing that was soft was niemis handling of the puck on callahans second goal. My god. Richards shot hits him squarely in the chest protector, bobbles it, then just stares at the puck as it gets batted in as if he just saw a ghost. C'mon man.

JT Kreider is online now  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:17 AM
  #111
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
"Tin Man"

Sony Eriksson* is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:21 AM
  #112
Inub0i
For the Alliance!
 
Inub0i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UC Irvine, Irvine
Country: United States
Posts: 8,686
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
"Tin Man"
That joke is irrelevant after last year's playoffs where he was one of the best players for the Sharks.

Try again.

Inub0i is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:21 AM
  #113
JT Kreider
Registered User
 
JT Kreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmarleautime View Post
Ah, the old "Well you have no Cups, so there" argument. Gotta love it.

As for the other part of your post: Pavs is an awesome player, has consistently been our clutchiest player, but he's benefiting from being fed passes from Thornton and the speed of Marleau. It's stupid to pretend otherwise. Pavelski very possibly could get the C a few years down the road, but through no fault of Thornton's.
Look at pinkfloyds previous posts. He basically insinuates that if the sharks weren't at the end of the road trip, any rational person knows the sharks would have won, as if sj was this great dominant team that was guaranteed to win on a nightly basis, as if we were in an alternate world where the sharks had glorious cup-filled past that wasn't defined by perennial choking.


Last edited by JT Kreider: 11-01-2011 at 09:26 AM.
JT Kreider is online now  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:25 AM
  #114
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 80,700
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I'm not saying otherwise. Rangers caught the Sharks on a good day to beat them. It was plain as day. Do you honestly think that if the Sharks were starting a road trip instead of ending a road trip that you'd see the same result? I don't think any rational person would say yes.
Yes I do. The Rangers are a good team who can beat anyone. Just need a to gel. And get Staal back.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
I still think there should be a section of people at MSG behind the visiting bench, in curly wigs, and dark rimmed glasses, calling themselves the Pidtophiles. - Zamboner
ECL is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:27 AM
  #115
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaSteak View Post
I'm sorry, but can ANY sharks fans see the irony in Joe Thornton calling anyone else out for being soft?
First thing that came to mind when I heard him say it.

Joe Thornton - to soft for Boston to hard for San Jose.

Puckface NYR* is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:27 AM
  #116
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
That joke is irrelevant after last year's playoffs where he was one of the best players for the Sharks.

Try again.
"Still Tin Man"

Sony Eriksson* is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:28 AM
  #117
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaSteak View Post
I'm sorry, but can ANY sharks fans see the irony in Joe Thornton calling anyone else out for being soft?
No, we watch thornton play.

Phu is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:30 AM
  #118
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats
 
Kronwalled55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bay City, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Joe Thornton of all people calling a team "soft?" Flop on the ice a little more.

Dang, other people beat me to this conclusion

Kronwalled55 is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:31 AM
  #119
The Lunatic Fridge
Registered User
 
The Lunatic Fridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 27,827
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmarleautime View Post

You may have started out the season on a road trip and on another continent, but by far you have the easier schedule the rest of the year. No contest.

The rangers were in europe for over 2 weeks, they were in NY for a day. They were in western canada for over a week, with your arguement i could say "RIGHT NOW" the rangers clearly had the toughest schedule of any team in the league. Did callahan go out after a loss and say "well....they were soft and we just came back from europe..they got lucky"? Ugh no. Please excuse me if the poor sharks had to withstand a 6 game road trip and had no gas left in the tank by game #6. I don't even understand why you bring up the irrelevant road trip for the sharks that happens in FOUR MONTHS as if it will somehow help with this arguement or the thread in general.

The point is plain and simple. Your team lost.Whether it was fatigue, luck or ghosts possessing the sharks locker room. It doesn't matter. A Captain doesn't make excuses, he leads by example and someone should pass that memo to Joe.

The Lunatic Fridge is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:32 AM
  #120
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 80,700
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
No, we watch thornton play.
So do I. He has no right calling anyone soft. For his size, he should be Lindros-ing guys out there. He's a shell of a physical specimen in comparison. He has no right to call a team who does as much hitting and shotblocking as the Rangers do "soft".

ECL is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:32 AM
  #121
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I'm not saying otherwise. Rangers caught the Sharks on a good day to beat them. It was plain as day. Do you honestly think that if the Sharks were starting a road trip instead of ending a road trip that you'd see the same result? I don't think any rational person would say yes.
Come on man. The Rangers were a playoff team last year and added one of the better centers in the league to that puzzle.

It's not like there a walkover team.

Puckface NYR* is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:33 AM
  #122
WTFetus
Moderator
Marlov
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 12,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan1026 View Post
The only thing that was soft was niemis handling of the puck on callahans second goal. My god. Richards shot hits him squarely in the chest protector, bobbles it, then just stares at the puck as it gets batted in as if he just saw a ghost. C'mon man.
Look at the replay again. Dubinsky interferes with Niemi slightly right before the shot hits him. You can't really fault him for letting a rebound in that situation. You can fault him for not making a case for it (though it wouldn't have mattered since it's not reviewable). You know a goalie like Luongo would have made it extremely obvious that he was interfered with.


WTFetus is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:34 AM
  #123
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 80,700
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Look at the replay again. Dubinsky interferes with Niemi slightly right before the shot hits him. You can't really fault him for letting a rebound in that situation. You can fault him for not making a case for it (though it wouldn't have mattered since it's not reviewable). You know a goalie like Luongo would have made it extremely obvious that he was interfered with.

There is zero goalie interference on that play. Try again.

ECL is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:36 AM
  #124
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,983
vCash: 500
Heres some food for thought. San jose lost that game primarily because of their lethargic performance. The sharks are not a soft team in the least, big bodies up and down the roster willing to bang. But! Can be a hard motor to start when cold because of the big body inertia. So playing a soft team that doesn't get the hackles up plays against the big team that's lacking spark. If the rangers came out banging bodies I bet the sharks would have put on a much different performance.
juices never got flowing and the rangers let sleeping dogs lie while doing their deeds.

Phu is offline  
Old
11-01-2011, 09:36 AM
  #125
bleedteal12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 2,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan1026 View Post
Look at pinkfloyds previous posts. He basically insinuates that if the sharks weren't at the end of the road trip, any rational person knows the sharks would have won, as if sj was this great dominant team that was guaranteed to win on a nightly basis, as if we were in an alternate world where the sharks had glorious cup-filled past that wasn't defined by perennial choking.
You're exaggerating. The point was that the Sharks were not playing to their potential. Did you even watch the game--hell, the highlights--in Detroit? Or Nashville? Or Boston? That team was clicking on all cylinders; and when there were defensive mistakes, other players picked up the slack.

The team that played the Rangers was tired and making mental lapses. Is it a guarantee that we would have won? No, of course not. But anyone with half a brain could see quite plainly the Sharks were tired. It's clear it was the end of a road trip for them. They didn't put up nearly the fight against the Rangers as they would have if they'd played them in the first half of the trip.

The last part of what you said is utter stupidity. Just because we haven't won a Cup doesn't mean we're not a perennially great team. The constant pressure on us to win is deserved. You won't find a Sharks fan anywhere who has the delusion that you suggest. We're all quite well-aware of our history, thanks. I'm simply dumbfounded as to how expecting our team to do well and projecting that they would have beat the Rangers if we'd played them a few games ago (need you be reminded of the Rangers' three-goal collapse just one game prior?) somehow means we feel as though we have as many Cups as the Canadiens.

bleedteal12 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.