HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Torts doesn't burn Joe Thornton after Rangers are called soft

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2011, 08:54 AM
skroob**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
When you guys go on a road trip and do a 3 in 4, then let me know how you do.
Vancouver, Winnipeg, Calgary. And that was two weeks ago.

Anything else???

Old
11-01-2011, 08:56 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Last night wasn't even the second of a back-to-back. I mean, do you guys know how close Nassau Colliseum is to Midtown? I'll bet the Sharks didnt even stay at a hotel on the Island.

The Sharks got to NYC early Saturday morning. They played the Isles in Nassau, and had to drive a whopping 40 mins to midtown to check in to a hotel and not play for almost 48 hours.

On top of that, the Sharks' veterans were given Sunday off. That's on the coach. If the vets (who played like garbage last night) can't find the wherewithal to show up for a game after a day off, then maybe they shouldn't be given days off.

Playing two games in three nights is the NYC area is a joke as far as travel goes. Everyone in the league knows it.
Quoted for truth. Anyone that knows the Tri-State area knows how close MSG, The Coliseum and even the Prudential Center are to each other.

And besides, if Thornton is going to call people for being soft, he should start with his teammate Patrick Marleau, who has the mental toughness of a Nerf ball wrapped in Charmin Ultra Soft .

Old
11-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Phu

Quote:
I'm not saying otherwise. Rangers caught the Sharks on a good day to beat them. It was plain as day. Do you honestly think that if the Sharks were starting a road trip instead of ending a road trip that you'd see the same result? I don't think any rational person would say yes.
It's a bit much to ask eastern team fans to understand this. They haven't been watching the sharks and they don't understand the level of traveling western teams do.

The sharks laid an egg and most sharks fans could see it coming a mile away after the isles win. The rudimentary defensive errors and compete level problems were obvious.

Old
11-01-2011, 08:58 AM
bleedteal12

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Last night wasn't even the second of a back-to-back. I mean, do you guys know how close Nassau Colliseum is to Midtown? I'll bet the Sharks didnt even stay at a hotel on the Island.

The Sharks got to NYC early Saturday morning. They played the Isles in Nassau, and had to drive a whopping 40 mins to midtown to check in to a hotel and not play for almost 48 hours.

On top of that, the Sharks' veterans were given Sunday off. That's on the coach. If the vets (who played like garbage last night) can't find the wherewithal to show up for a game after a day off, then maybe they shouldn't be given days off.

Playing two games in three nights is the NYC area is a joke as far as travel goes. Everyone in the league knows it.
And before that we played in Detroit, which is always a slugfest between our two teams. It doesn't matter if it wasn't the second of a back-to-back--fact is, it was the end of a six-game, Eastern road trip.

Also, this snarking from Rangers fans about a tough schedule pisses me off. Yes, you started in Europe. Yes, that sucks. But have you taken a look at our schedule? Two games in twelve days to start October, six-game road trip at the end of October, nine-game road trip in February, a total of nine home games between January and February. Not to mention we regularly have the most miles traveled, by a large margin.

You may have started out the season on a road trip and on another continent, but by far you have the easier schedule the rest of the year. No contest.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:00 AM
JT Kreider

You would think with the attitude of some of the sharks fans that sj was some great illustrious franchise with multiple cups. Man up and accept the loss "jumbo". Kinda ironic how pavelski is the far better joe in town these days anyway. Way more deserving of the C

Old
11-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan1026 View Post
You would think with the attitude of some of the sharks fans that sj was some great illustrious franchise with multiple cups. Man up and accept the loss "jumbo". Kinda ironic how pavelski is the far better joe in town these days anyway. Way more deserving of the C
Lol pavelski is awesome but the reason he will probably compete for the art ross this year is because he is the 3rd best player on his line. Or rather the 3rd defensive concern. Don't kid yourself. They are going to worry about the 90 assist guy and the 40 goal scorer that's one of the fastest in the league first.

Last edited by Phu: 11-01-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old
11-01-2011, 09:07 AM
bleedteal12

Quote:
Ah, the old "Well you have no Cups, so there" argument. Gotta love it.

As for the other part of your post: Pavs is an awesome player, has consistently been our clutchiest player, but he's benefiting from being fed passes from Thornton and the speed of Marleau. It's stupid to pretend otherwise. Pavelski very possibly could get the C a few years down the road, but through no fault of Thornton's.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:16 AM
PizzaSteak

I'm sorry, but can ANY sharks fans see the irony in Joe Thornton calling anyone else out for being soft?

Old
11-01-2011, 09:16 AM
JT Kreider

The only thing that was soft was niemis handling of the puck on callahans second goal. My god. Richards shot hits him squarely in the chest protector, bobbles it, then just stares at the puck as it gets batted in as if he just saw a ghost. C'mon man.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Sony Eriksson*

"Tin Man"

Old
11-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
"Tin Man"
That joke is irrelevant after last year's playoffs where he was one of the best players for the Sharks.

Try again.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:21 AM
JT Kreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmarleautime View Post
Ah, the old "Well you have no Cups, so there" argument. Gotta love it.

As for the other part of your post: Pavs is an awesome player, has consistently been our clutchiest player, but he's benefiting from being fed passes from Thornton and the speed of Marleau. It's stupid to pretend otherwise. Pavelski very possibly could get the C a few years down the road, but through no fault of Thornton's.
Look at pinkfloyds previous posts. He basically insinuates that if the sharks weren't at the end of the road trip, any rational person knows the sharks would have won, as if sj was this great dominant team that was guaranteed to win on a nightly basis, as if we were in an alternate world where the sharks had glorious cup-filled past that wasn't defined by perennial choking.

Last edited by JT Kreider: 11-01-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old
11-01-2011, 09:25 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
I'm not saying otherwise. Rangers caught the Sharks on a good day to beat them. It was plain as day. Do you honestly think that if the Sharks were starting a road trip instead of ending a road trip that you'd see the same result? I don't think any rational person would say yes.
Yes I do. The Rangers are a good team who can beat anyone. Just need a to gel. And get Staal back.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaSteak View Post
I'm sorry, but can ANY sharks fans see the irony in Joe Thornton calling anyone else out for being soft?
First thing that came to mind when I heard him say it.

Joe Thornton - to soft for Boston to hard for San Jose.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
That joke is irrelevant after last year's playoffs where he was one of the best players for the Sharks.

Try again.
"Still Tin Man"

Old
11-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaSteak View Post
No, we watch thornton play.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Joe Thornton of all people calling a team "soft?" Flop on the ice a little more.

Dang, other people beat me to this conclusion

Old
11-01-2011, 09:31 AM
The Lunatic Fridge

Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmarleautime View Post

You may have started out the season on a road trip and on another continent, but by far you have the easier schedule the rest of the year. No contest.

The rangers were in europe for over 2 weeks, they were in NY for a day. They were in western canada for over a week, with your arguement i could say "RIGHT NOW" the rangers clearly had the toughest schedule of any team in the league. Did callahan go out after a loss and say "well....they were soft and we just came back from europe..they got lucky"? Ugh no. Please excuse me if the poor sharks had to withstand a 6 game road trip and had no gas left in the tank by game #6. I don't even understand why you bring up the irrelevant road trip for the sharks that happens in FOUR MONTHS as if it will somehow help with this arguement or the thread in general.

The point is plain and simple. Your team lost.Whether it was fatigue, luck or ghosts possessing the sharks locker room. It doesn't matter. A Captain doesn't make excuses, he leads by example and someone should pass that memo to Joe.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:32 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
No, we watch thornton play.
So do I. He has no right calling anyone soft. For his size, he should be Lindros-ing guys out there. He's a shell of a physical specimen in comparison. He has no right to call a team who does as much hitting and shotblocking as the Rangers do "soft".

Old
11-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Come on man. The Rangers were a playoff team last year and added one of the better centers in the league to that puzzle.

It's not like there a walkover team.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:33 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
The only thing that was soft was niemis handling of the puck on callahans second goal. My god. Richards shot hits him squarely in the chest protector, bobbles it, then just stares at the puck as it gets batted in as if he just saw a ghost. C'mon man.
Look at the replay again. Dubinsky interferes with Niemi slightly right before the shot hits him. You can't really fault him for letting a rebound in that situation. You can fault him for not making a case for it (though it wouldn't have mattered since it's not reviewable). You know a goalie like Luongo would have made it extremely obvious that he was interfered with.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:34 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Look at the replay again. Dubinsky interferes with Niemi slightly right before the shot hits him. You can't really fault him for letting a rebound in that situation. You can fault him for not making a case for it (though it wouldn't have mattered since it's not reviewable). You know a goalie like Luongo would have made it extremely obvious that he was interfered with.

There is zero goalie interference on that play. Try again.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Phu

Heres some food for thought. San jose lost that game primarily because of their lethargic performance. The sharks are not a soft team in the least, big bodies up and down the roster willing to bang. But! Can be a hard motor to start when cold because of the big body inertia. So playing a soft team that doesn't get the hackles up plays against the big team that's lacking spark. If the rangers came out banging bodies I bet the sharks would have put on a much different performance.
juices never got flowing and the rangers let sleeping dogs lie while doing their deeds.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:36 AM
bleedteal12

Quote:
Look at pinkfloyds previous posts. He basically insinuates that if the sharks weren't at the end of the road trip, any rational person knows the sharks would have won, as if sj was this great dominant team that was guaranteed to win on a nightly basis, as if we were in an alternate world where the sharks had glorious cup-filled past that wasn't defined by perennial choking.
You're exaggerating. The point was that the Sharks were not playing to their potential. Did you even watch the game--hell, the highlights--in Detroit? Or Nashville? Or Boston? That team was clicking on all cylinders; and when there were defensive mistakes, other players picked up the slack.

The team that played the Rangers was tired and making mental lapses. Is it a guarantee that we would have won? No, of course not. But anyone with half a brain could see quite plainly the Sharks were tired. It's clear it was the end of a road trip for them. They didn't put up nearly the fight against the Rangers as they would have if they'd played them in the first half of the trip.

The last part of what you said is utter stupidity. Just because we haven't won a Cup doesn't mean we're not a perennially great team. The constant pressure on us to win is deserved. You won't find a Sharks fan anywhere who has the delusion that you suggest. We're all quite well-aware of our history, thanks. I'm simply dumbfounded as to how expecting our team to do well and projecting that they would have beat the Rangers if we'd played them a few games ago (need you be reminded of the Rangers' three-goal collapse just one game prior?) somehow means we feel as though we have as many Cups as the Canadiens.

Closed Thread