HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sidney Crosby's beast mode vs Peter Forsberg's beast mode

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCrusher21 View Post

Real facts: Forsberg is ranked 4th in NHL history for assists per game behind Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr.
Whose 5th?

4. Peter Forsberg 0.898
5. Sidney Crosby 0.867

What rank is Forsberg in GPG? Crosby?

17. Sidney Crosby 0.522

158. Lorne Carr 0.352
Owen Nolan 0.352
Peter Forsberg 0.352

Before you try to start points arguments.... i forgot though.... Forsberg scored from his knees once

Old
11-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Ice Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
Whose 5th?

4. Peter Forsberg 0.898
5. Sidney Crosby 0.867

What rank is Forsberg in GPG? Crosby?

17. Sidney Crosby 0.522

158. Lorne Carr 0.352
Owen Nolan 0.352
Peter Forsberg 0.352

Before you try to start points arguments.... i forgot though.... Forsberg scored from his knees once
hahaha you are comparing Crosby who hasn't even finish his career yet to a Forsberg that is already retired. Will see when is career will be over if it's at the same %.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Quote:
hahaha you are comparing Crosby who hasn't even finish his career yet to a Forsberg that is already retired. Will see when is career will be over if it's at the same %.
Didnt you just do that?

You're comparing a 24 year old kid who hasnt even finished his career yet/hit his prime(potentially) to a guy whose numbers were put up before he started becoming injury prone and actually left the league during his decline years.(potentially)

Lets go ask NHL players if they think Crosby is overrated too. Your arguments are moot, face it.I'm done arguing with you when you can't seem to comprehend anything, its not fun watching someone laugh at themselves when they bring up assists per game as stat measures without thinking. It's obvious your opinion is biased.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Ice Crusher

Quote:
Didnt you just do that?

You're comparing a 24 year old kid who hasnt even finished his career yet/hit his prime(potentially) to a guy whose numbers were put up before he started becoming injury prone and actually left the league during his decline years.(potentially)

Lets go ask NHL players if they think Crosby is overrated too. Your arguments are moot, face it.I'm done arguing with you when you can't seem to comprehend anything, its not fun watching someone laugh at themselves when they bring up assists per game as stat measures without thinking. It's obvious your opinion is biased.
No I didn't do that, were talking about beast mode! I think Crosby is already established in the league as THE best player. Yes. But we are not talking about career wise. It's for sure that Crosby will have a better career statiscally if he stays healthy. (Would have wished that for Forsberg to prove so many wrong). Scoring wise, I will give it to Crosby but in all other aspects of the game, Forsberg wins it.

Old
11-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Avs71

Quote:
Actually, his ankle issues had plagued him since I believe it was 1996 or 1997. Everyone only started hearing about it in the last few years because it became unbearable, and a bit of a media sideshow.

I don't know how you can say he put up numbers before becoming injury prone, and left the league during his decline years. He left for one year (2001), and ended up coming back just for the playoffs and lead it in scoring. Yes, post lockout his injuries forced him to miss seasons, and eventually retire. But by your logic then Bobby Orr isn't as good as people think because he left the game before his decline years too, so comparing defencemen's numbers to his is just stupid?

Quote:
"Some of the stuff he does is just ridiculous," Stars defenseman Derian Hatcher says. "Jaromir Jagr is big and strong like Forsberg, but Jagr doesn't fight back if you play him tough like Forsberg does.

"I think he's the toughest player in the game to play against."

Hitchcock similarly raved about Forsberg after the Stars bounced the Avalanche from last year's playoffs.

"The only thing that stopped Forsberg is that he ran out of gas when they double- and tripleshifted him, and he wasn't able to use his speed, plus his strength," Hitchcock says. "I remember one time he kept the puck in our end for 40, maybe 50 seconds, and we couldn't get the thing away from him. His ability to knock Derian Hatcher on his butt while giving up 40 pounds shows how he can completely control and dominate a game."

One of Forsberg's attributes is his ability to be used in any game situation. He's a player with skill and talent who occasionally goes maniacal.

"Boy, he gets a really strange look in his eyes," Hitchcock says. "It's like the same steely glare that Mark Messier always gets, and you don't want to be anywhere near him."
I think if were talking "beast mode" its Forsberg.

Old
11-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

All in favor of banning the use of the term "beast mode", raise your hand: \o

Old
11-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Florentino Ariza

I am in favor of a beast mode ban

Old
11-01-2011, 10:21 AM
BruinsBtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Forsberg is the most overrated player ever at HFBoards...and some of these responses just confirm that.
Seriously...talk of being the best ever? If Forsberg could have been the best ever when he wanted to he must have been one lazy ****er.
/this

The Forsberg love has gone from laughable to ridiculous.

Old
11-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Ice Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
All in favor of banning the use of the term "beast mode", raise your hand: \o
If it would have been Teemu Selanne would you raise your hand? I have heard that rivalry between Sweden-Finland but didn't know it would come to this

Old
11-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Ice Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsButton View Post
/this

The Forsberg love has gone from laughable to ridiculous.
Since your in the East, I am sure you have watched more Crosby show than Forsberg's.

Being from Quebec city, I know for a fact it was really hard to watch those games from the West. Just wondering how many games have you watched him play...

Old
11-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Swedish playmaker*

Quote:
If it would have been Teemu Selanne would you raise your hand? I have heard that rivalry between Sweden-Finland but didn't know it would come to this
A finnish persons life consists of three important parts: 1. Wrestle with bears 2. Drink vodka and beer 3. Spread hate against any swede in sight. What did you expect.

Old
11-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Devil Dancer

Crosby hater saying Crosby by a mile.

Old
11-01-2011, 10:43 AM
SkinsFan09

Forsberg.

....was great but Crosby is better.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:00 AM
StandingCow

Kinda tough to compare players of two different eras of the game... but it pains me to say Crosby.

edit: unless we are talking "beast mode" as mentioned above, then it is forsberg.

Last edited by StandingCow: 11-01-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old
11-01-2011, 11:02 AM
armani
Guy Likes

Forsberg. I wonder how a healthy Forsberg would have performed in the non clutch n' grab era.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:04 AM
cheesesteak

Crosby vs Jagr? Jagr is over PPG in the playoffs.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:12 AM
mpp9

I think Sid has a very good chance of moving up right behind Gretzky/Lemieux for best PPG in both the regular season and playoffs. Guy is already 5th on both lists.

He has yet to play his best hockey people. His drive to become a better player all the time is what makes him the best imo. With his injury sidelining him for nearly a year, a well-rested Crosby is a scary notion for the league.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Falcons93

Quote:
We've already seen that Forsberg struggles to score 30 goals a season so.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Ice Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons93 View Post
We've already seen that Forsberg struggles to score 30 goals a season so.
Were talking about assists per game here

By the way, Forsberg was not known for his scoring ability but all-around game.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
Crosby ainec
Really? Two of the most talented players ever, who play a comparable game, and it isn't close?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Forsberg was the flashier player, Crosby is just better at pretty much all facets of the game except maybe physicality.
Except physicality, defense, vision, and probably stick handling/deking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Crosby's on ice vision blows apart the skill category.
Crosby is the best player in the game today, but there are a handful of players in the league who arguably have better vision. Forsberg probably had the best vision ever, outside of Gretzky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
Nostalgia does funny things to people's reasoning skills, doesn't it?

Crosby AINEC.
What exactly is affecting your reasoning skills? Obviously they're severely impaired if you think it isn't close between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperiumk View Post
Give Forsberg (in his prime) todays NHL. Watch him score 30 points more per year than Crosby. Crosby has been pampered and given all the respect and treatment that the refs and league can to help him. Truth brought up about the Era Foppa played in, Crosby would have not been as dominant in the 90's. Wings and Stars would have eaten him for breakfast.

Watching all of the highlight videos, you really realize also how special a player Sakic was. As good as Forsberg was, he was always wearing the A. Goes to Philly and takes on the C. I miss those years.
There is no way Forsberg scores 30 more points than Crosby in today's league. He'd be at the top of the league for sure and might outscore him a couple times, but he is not that much better offensively if at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Crosby gets so much hate because of all the media attention he received/receives. The most talented player of this generation by a mile, and the work ethic to possibly make him on of the top 3 players, if not the best player, in NHL history should he continue to do what he was doing.

Forsberg was great but Crosby is on another level.
I must have missed the years when Crosby was putting up 135+ points.

Anyone who doesn't think this is close is either biased, too young, or out of their mind. This could go either way.

I would have picked Forsberg easily before because I thought the gap in their defense was wide enough to make up for the gap in their offense. However, before he was injured Crosby started to improve his D. It still wasn't as good as Forsberg's, who had multiple top 5 finishes in the Selke, but it was much improved.

Also, Crosby's offense began to take a jump forward but we may never know if that was just an incredible roll he was on, or him hitting a new level.

The fact is that they are both incredible talents, and at this point its pretty much a toss up. I'd take Forsberg because I prefer his style, and also his defense. But, I could see a case made for Crosby. Just not one that says it isn't close.

One last thing. People want to look at Forsberg and say "He only scored 30 goals twice." That's true. However, the problem is that they then extrapolate that too "he couldn't score." He most definitely could, and anyone who thinks otherwise is ignoring something very basic. You don't score if you don't shoot.

He didn't shoot a lot in the regular season, hence he didn't score a lot. However, someone with that talent, on ice vision, and accurate shot would be able to score if he chose to shoot more... Like a certain Pens player...

If you weren't old enough to see this when he played, look at his playoff stats for proof.

In 151 games he scored 64 goals. Which would be about 35 goals a year. Not as much as Crosby, but still better than a lot of people on here would have you think.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

It really is comparing two different eras too.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:43 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughtybetterbemoney View Post
I'm not going to participate on behalf of the "beast-mode and other words that are signs of stupidity of my generation should not be encouraged and wiped out as soon as convenient" faction
You straight beasted this thread, bro.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:47 AM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

If Crosby sits out this whole year, then comes back for the playoffs and leads the league in playoff scoring without making it to the finals, then you can argue that Crosby is better.

When Crosby has his spleen ruptured during a game because of all the hooking, slashing and grabbing that went uncalled, we can talk about his era being similar to Forsberg's era in terms of physical aspects of the game.

I'm not saying Crosby isn't amazing. I'm saying that Forsberg was a once in a lifetime kind of a player, and it's too bad he played during the dead puck era.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Ice Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Really? Two of the most talented players ever, who play a comparable game, and it isn't close?

Except physicality, defense, vision, and probably stick handling/deking.

Crosby is the best player in the game today, but there are a handful of players in the league who arguably have better vision. Forsberg probably had the best vision ever, outside of Gretzky.

What exactly is affecting your reasoning skills? Obviously they're severely impaired if you think it isn't close between the two.

There is no way Forsberg scores 30 more points than Crosby in today's league. He'd be at the top of the league for sure and might outscore him a couple times, but he is not that much better offensively if at all.

I must have missed the years when Crosby was putting up 135+ points.

Anyone who doesn't think this is close is either biased, too young, or out of their mind. This could go either way.

I would have picked Forsberg easily before because I thought the gap in their defense was wide enough to make up for the gap in their offense. However, before he was injured Crosby started to improve his D. It still wasn't as good as Forsberg's, who had multiple top 5 finishes in the Selke, but it was much improved.

Also, Crosby's offense began to take a jump forward but we may never know if that was just an incredible roll he was on, or him hitting a new level.

The fact is that they are both incredible talents, and at this point its pretty much a toss up. I'd take Forsberg because I prefer his style, and also his defense. But, I could see a case made for Crosby. Just not one that says it isn't close.

One last thing. People want to look at Forsberg and say "He only scored 30 goals twice." That's true. However, the problem is that they then extrapolate that too "he couldn't score." He most definitely could, and anyone who thinks otherwise is ignoring something very basic. You don't score if you don't shoot.

He didn't shoot a lot in the regular season, hence he didn't score a lot. However, someone with that talent, on ice vision, and accurate shot would be able to score if he chose to shoot more... Like a certain Pens player...

If you weren't old enough to see this when he played, look at his playoff stats for proof.

In 151 games he scored 64 goals. Which would be about 35 goals a year. Not as much as Crosby, but still better than a lot of people on here would have you think.
Couldn't have describe it better than you did.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Saku11

In beats mode Malkin beats them both.

Closed Thread