HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sidney Crosby's beast mode vs Peter Forsberg's beast mode

Old
11-01-2011, 10:58 AM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
One last thing. People want to look at Forsberg and say "He only scored 30 goals twice." That's true. However, the problem is that they then extrapolate that too "he couldn't score." He most definitely could, and anyone who thinks otherwise is ignoring something very basic. You don't score if you don't shoot.
Forsberg scored on over 18% of his shots in the playoffs, and 14% in the regular season.

Crosby is at 15.4% regular season and 15.1% in the playoffs.

In about 300 more games, Forsberg only has about 300 more career shots than Crosby.

IWantSakicAsMyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Saku11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS 39 Gripen View Post
when comparing "beast modes" just look up Forsberg on youtube and watch how he dangles around whole TEAMS in the offensive zone and then set up someone with a perfect pass or a wrap
around. ..
Because he doesent need to.he just gets open and knocks the puck in or snipes it with his great shot (it is now) or simply passes it to an open teammate.Its more simple, same results.

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Left Circle OneTimer

Can someone tell me where Crosby was in both finals versus the Red Wings?

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:08 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Crosby.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:14 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
Getting shadowed by Zetterberg and Lidstrom?

He was shutdown in the final for the most part. He then worked on his shot that offseason and went on to win the Rocket and put on his best stretch of hockey until injury.

If last season wasn't a fluke, I don't know if he can be shutdown by any matchup. Coaches were coming out and saying as much last season.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Saku11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
Hey didnt forsberg have playoff series where he under ppg too?.I could be wrong though..

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Saul
S'all Good Man

3/4 of Crosby's videos in the OP are against the Isles and Sens, therefore have no relevance (Kessel reference)

Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:10 PM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post

game over guys
Game over is right...I counted about 10 penalties in that clip on Forsberg by today's standards. That 2nd goal, there were 3 blatant fouls on him in 5 seconds and he still scored. Unbelievable.

Crosby is very close and Colorado was way more stacked as a team, but Forsberg was the definition of a beast. If Crosby was a Swede and Forsberg the Canadian, people wouldn't even be debating this.

SlapJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:20 PM
HockeyCrazed101

How do you fairly make a comparison? The level of talent in the league at any given time is only comparable to the players playing during that time. Gretzky was a special breed among players of his time but no one can say without doubt that Gretzky could put up the same numbers he did in the past if he had to skate around the likes of Shea Weber and put a puck past the same Tim Thomas who posted some of the best goalie stats in NHL history.

HockeyCrazed101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Puck Steal Master*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapJack View Post
Game over is right...I counted about 10 penalties in that clip on Forsberg by today's standards. That 2nd goal, there were 3 blatant fouls on him in 5 seconds and he still scored. Unbelievable.

Crosby is very close and Colorado was way more stacked as a team, but Forsberg was the definition of a beast. If Crosby was a Swede and Forsberg the Canadian, people wouldn't even be debating this.
Everyone knows europeans are all about flash when it comes to hockey. Go look up Pavel Bure, Peter Forsberg, Jaromir Jagr, Pavel Datsyuk.

But when it comes to just flat out producing. Nobody comes close to the likes of Sidney Crosby, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux etc.

Forsberg was flashier than Crosby, Gretzky, Lemieux, not better so don't get the two confused.

Forsberg can work the boards, get hooked, slashed, spin and turn just to make a pass.

All that work for nothing. All Gretzky would do in a similar situation is a simple bank pass of the side of the net, throw a no look pass into dead ice 2 seconds before a team mate arrives in that position for an easy goal.

Why should Crosby, Gretzky or Lemieux be penalized for working smart, not hard on the ice? all the while still out producing Forsberg?

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins plays the same way. Not flashy but still out produces the flashier Taylor Hall.

Forsberg had to work hard for his points because he didn't play smart and subtle like Gretzky, Lemieux or Crosby.

Canadian hockey players are penalized for being less flashy than their european counter parts yet still out produce them.

It's a sickening measuring stick of who is better.

Flash is nice. Substance is better. Always has been and always will be.

Crosby's superior goal scoring makes up for Forsberg's physicality and then some.

I also love how people like to bring up what if Forsberg was healthy but can't use the same argument for Sidney.

Crosby's 66 points in 41 games is more impressive than any one of Forsberg's seasons.

Forsberg was flashy, but didn't produce the same results as Crosby, Gretzky or Lemieux. Hell Jagr was more flashy than Lemieux, and Lemieux blows Jagr out of the water in terms of sheer point totals. Datsyuk is more flashy than Crosby, doesn't make him better by any stretch of the imagination

Substance > style

flash is good for the fans entertainment and ..

Last edited by Puck Steal Master*: 11-01-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Puck Steal Master* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Steal Master View Post
Everyone knows europeans are all about flash when it comes to hockey. Go look up Pavel Bure, Peter Forsberg, Jaromir Jagr, Pavel Datsyuk.

But when it comes to just flat out producing. Nobody comes close to the likes of Sidney Crosby, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux etc.

Forsberg was flashier than Crosby, Gretzky, Lemieux, not better so don't get the two confused.

Forsberg can work the boards, get hooked, slashed, spin and turn just to make a pass.

All that work for nothing. All Gretzky would do in a similar situation is a simple bank pass of the side of the net, throw a no look pass into dead ice 2 seconds before a team mate arrives in that position for an easy goal.

Why should Crosby, Gretzky or Lemieux be penalized for working smart, not hard on the ice? all the while still out producing Forsberg?

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins plays the same way. Not flashy but still out produces the flashier Taylor Hall.

Forsberg had to work hard for his points because he didn't play smart and subtle like Gretzky, Lemieux or Crosby.

Canadian hockey players are penalized for being less flashy than their european counter parts yet still out produce them.

Flash is nice. Substance is better. Always ha been and always will be.

Crosby's superior goal scoring makes up for Forsberg's physicality by a fair margin.
Really dude? Who is comparing Forsberg to Gretzky or Lemieux?

Also you should stop putting Corsby in the same sentence as Gretzky and Lemieux until he earns the right to be there.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Ice Crusher

Quote:

Flash is nice. Substance is better. Always ha been and always will be.

Crosby's superior goal scoring makes up for Forsberg's physicality by a fair margin.
I stop reading after this nonsense.

By the way, we are not talking about production wise here. We are talking talent wise which is completely different.

Ice Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Puck Steal Master*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCrusher21 View Post
I stop reading after this nonsense.

By the way, we are not talking about production wise here. We are talking talent wise which is completely different.
Maybe I can help you understand instead of using a laughing emotion.

Forsberg was smart on the ice

Crosby is smarter. Produces better point totals while working less hard.

That is working smarter.

Why work balls to the wall with unnecessary flashy moves when a simple blind pass, head fake produces the same, if not better results, all while not working as hard? Get my point?

Shame Forsberg worked so hard and looked so flashy for his 90 point seasons.

You'd think by watching A Peter Forsberg highlight video, that his stast would blow Crosby, Lemieux or Gretzky's points out of the water but nope.

Thats working smart on the ice. Why take the stairs when you can just take the elevator?

Old
11-01-2011, 01:11 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
This thread is stupid. He makes a versus thread and only gives videos of one player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post

game over guys
I haven't seen that in a long time, but HOLY CRAP Forsberg was amazing.

Overall I see it as,

Forsberg was MUCH tougher player of the two.
Crosby was faster player of the two.

But seriously. What Forsberg did in that video, not Crosby could do and this was during the defense age of the 90s. But let's not take anything away from Crosby who is the best player in the league. Injured or not.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Puck Steal Master*

That is working smarter.

Why work balls to the wall with unnecessary flashy moves when a simple blind pass, head fake produces the same, if not better results, all while not working as hard? Get my point?

You'd think by watching A Peter Forsberg highlight video, that his stats would blow Crosby, Lemieux or Gretzky's points out of the water but nope.

Thats working smart on the ice. Why take the stairs when you can just take the elevator?

Old
11-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Ice Crusher

Quote:

That is working smarter.

You'd think by watching A Peter Forsberg highlight video, that his stast would blow Crosby, Lemieux or Gretzky's points out of the water but nope.

I was totally getting your point in the first hand.

What you don't seem to understand is there is much more aspects to the game of hockey than points production. One, Crosby doesn't have the same style of play as Forsberg did. Forsberg was much more aware defensively than Crosby by his style of play in every zone. This is one of the reason why Forsberg doesn't have the same production as Crosby. You think slowing a play in the offensive zone isn't smart? No one could have done it better than Forsberg.

Old
11-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Dosing

Quote:

That is working smarter.

You'd think by watching A Peter Forsberg highlight video, that his stats would blow Crosby, Lemieux or Gretzky's points out of the water but nope.

If crosby isnt "flashy" i don't know who is, also slapjacks point seem to have eluded you, if crosby was from overseas he would be considered a skilled crybaby, while forsberg being from canada would be a true warrior who no soft euro could challenge, and this thread would never have happend

Dosing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Puck Steal Master*

Quote:
I was totally getting your point in the first hand.

What you don't seem to understand is there is much more aspects to the game of hockey than points production. One, Crosby doesn't have the same style of play as Forsberg did. Forsberg was much more aware defensively than Crosby by his style of play in every zone. This is one of the reason why Forsberg doesn't have the same production as Crosby. You think slowing a play in the offensive zone isn't smart? No one could have done it better than Forsberg.
Funny, thats the same argument Datsyuk/Redwings fans try to use to dispute Crosby being the best player in the world.

The only ones arguing Forsberg being better than crosby are avalanch fans and Swedish fans.

Like-wise with Datsyuk fans.

Old
11-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Ice Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
If crosby isnt "flashy" i don't know who is, also slapjacks point seem to have eluded you, if crosby was from overseas he would be considered a skilled crybaby, while forsberg being from canada would be a true warrior who no soft euro could challenge, and this thread would never have happend
There is so many young ignorant in this world. I could put my hand in the fire that half of the people that voted Crosby has never seen when Peter Forsberg played the best years of his career because they were too young or were staying in the eastcoast causing that they couldn't watch any of his game.

Old
11-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Ice Crusher

Quote:
Funny, thats the same argument Datsyuk/Redwings fans try to use to dispute Crosby being the best player in the world.

The only ones arguing Forsberg being better than crosby are avalanch fans and Swedish fans.

You can ask this to Lexus, who seems a Penguins fan and also a Crosby fan which says that Forsberg was better than Crosby talent wise. You should probably ask this question to some Western Conference team fans and you will have your answer. We should make a pool about this but this forum is mostly filled with people that never saw the Forsberg era which I kinda feel sorry for.

Old
11-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Puck Steal Master*

Quote:
There is so many young ignorant in this world. I could put my hand in the fire that half of the people that voted Crosby has never seen when Peter Forsberg played the best years of his career because they were too young or were staying in the eastcoast causing that they couldn't watch any of his game.
Yeah I think theres a word for that. Nostalgia?

I could compile a highlight video of Sidney Crosby's plays when he too is about to retire at the tale end of his late 30's. Sync it to "O fortuna" or "remember the name" and it would look just as impresisve if not more impressive than Forsberg's highlight video.

Still doesn't mean anything.

Just a simple matter of people who value Flash > Substance

Old
11-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Ice Crusher

Quote:

I could compile a highlight video of Sidney Crosby's plays when he too is about to retire at the tale end of his 30's Sync it to "O fortuna" or "remember the name" and it would look just as impresisve if not more impressive than Forsberg's highlight video.

Nostalgia?? haha you just proved that you are too young and have not seen him play. What does it have to do with nostalgia??? So, I guess that Bobby Orr was not as good as Lidstrom is right now. Is that what you are meaning right now haha. Nonsense.

You are reffering to too much Forsberg highlights vids I guess. There is so many little things that Forsberg did in both ends of the ice that you couldn't see in highlights that made is game at another level than other players. Question, no lie, how old are you and where are you from?

Old
11-01-2011, 01:36 PM
GreatGonzo
Registered Derp

Forsberg. That dude was scary in beast mode.

GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:43 PM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Quote:

I could compile a highlight video of Sidney Crosby's plays when he too is about to retire at the tale end of his late 30's. Sync it to "O fortuna" or "remember the name" and it would look just as impresisve if not more impressive than Forsberg's highlight video.

2 Cups, 2 Olympic Golds, 2 WC Golds, a Hart, a Ross and a Calder. Not to mention being top 10 all time in PPG, and 4th all time in APG. Yeah, Forsberg was just flashy...

IWantSakicAsMyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:

That is working smarter.

Quote:

Quote:

Please tell me you're not serious with this stuff.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote