HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Nakawick

vCash: 17000
Without getting into too much of the predicting, I think we have 6 locks at forward: 5 C's and a LW.
Sid
Stamkos
Giroux
Tavares
Toews
Nash

The centers to switch to wing out of that group would be Stamkos and Tavares as I think that gives the team the best look. Plus if things stay the way they are now, Crosby and Stamkos on the same line would at least be something the coaching staff would flirt with. Nash is a natural LW who can skate and has good hands. He has played on the big ice and won and won gold in Vancouver. He will be 29 in Sochi and will likely be the oldest forward on the team. The rest of the forward spots IMO are completely up for grabs. There are just too many players to make a case for and many are young. One thing for sure is that we will have a young, hungry, fast and skilled set of forwards for the big ice. This year at the WHC was the youngest team Canada we ever sent, even younger that the previous 2 years.

On defense I think that Keith at age 30 is a lock and will be the oldest player on the team. I fully expect Weber, Doughty and Pietrangelo to be on the team. The rest of the spots on D are up for grabs with emphasis on skating ability and puck management.

At goalie, all spots are up for grabs.

Old
05-21-2012, 10:31 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Pominville can only play for the USA.
I doubt he would make team USA let alone team Canada...

Old
05-21-2012, 11:21 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakawick View Post
Without getting into too much of the predicting, I think we have 6 locks at forward: 5 C's and a LW.
Sid
Stamkos
Giroux
Tavares
Toews
Nash

The centers to switch to wing out of that group would be Stamkos and Tavares as I think that gives the team the best look. Plus if things stay the way they are now, Crosby and Stamkos on the same line would at least be something the coaching staff would flirt with. Nash is a natural LW who can skate and has good hands. He has played on the big ice and won and won gold in Vancouver. He will be 29 in Sochi and will likely be the oldest forward on the team. The rest of the forward spots IMO are completely up for grabs. There are just too many players to make a case for and many are young. One thing for sure is that we will have a young, hungry, fast and skilled set of forwards for the big ice. This year at the WHC was the youngest team Canada we ever sent, even younger that the previous 2 years.

On defense I think that Keith at age 30 is a lock and will be the oldest player on the team. I fully expect Weber, Doughty and Pietrangelo to be on the team. The rest of the spots on D are up for grabs with emphasis on skating ability and puck management.

At goalie, all spots are up for grabs.
Nash is in no way a lock for the team.

Old
05-22-2012, 04:20 AM
Yamaguchi*

Canada 2014:

Elliott
Smith
Price

Weber
Keith
Pietrangelo
Hamhuis
Doughty
Phaneuf
Seabrook

Nugent-Hopkins
Eberle
Crosby
O'Reilly
Neal
Nash
Tavares
Towes
Giroux
J Staal
Zajac
Stamkos
Ladd

Old
05-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Jesus Christ Horburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
Subban ahead of Letang? Even Habs fans wouldn't agree.
Totally forgot about Letang. He's actually a much better replacement for Dan Boyle.

I think Subban might still make it, but maybe as a replacement for Seabrook instead.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:04 PM
FrozenFloor
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguchi View Post
Canada 2014:

Elliott
Smith
Price

Weber
Keith
Pietrangelo
Hamhuis
Doughty
Phaneuf
Seabrook

Nugent-Hopkins
Eberle
Crosby
O'Reilly
Neal
Nash
Tavares
Towes
Giroux
J Staal
Zajac
Stamkos
Ladd
I don't know where to start with that

Old
05-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Yamaguchi*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenFloor View Post
I don't know where to start with that
Most of those guys have performed well on international size rinks

Old
05-22-2012, 02:45 PM
NuxFan09

Nash - Crosby - Giroux
Stamkos - Spezza - Eberle
Sharp - Toews - Perry
Neal - E. Staal - Bergeron

Keith - Weber
Hamhuis - Seabrook
Letang - Girardi

Price
Luongo
Ward/Smith

That would be my ideal Team Canada lineup for Sochi but, naturally, there are several other possibilities. Getzlaf if still missing from the forward group young D studs like Doughty and Pietrangelo aren't even included.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:57 PM
dnoyelles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
Nash - Crosby - Giroux
Stamkos - Spezza - Eberle
Sharp - Toews - Perry
Neal - E. Staal - Bergeron

Keith - Weber
Hamhuis - Seabrook
Letang - Girardi

Price
Luongo
Ward/Smith

That would be my ideal Team Canada lineup for Sochi but, naturally, there are several other possibilities. Getzlaf if still missing from the forward group young D studs like Doughty and Pietrangelo aren't even included.
Definitely get AP and DD in there... it's sacrilege to think Hamhuis, Seabrook and Girardi are more complete than either one.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Quack

Canada 2014:

Carey Price
Marc-André Fleury
Cam Ward

Shea Weber
Duncan Keith
Alex Pietrangelo
Drew Doughty
Brent Seabrook
Kris Letang

Sidney Crosby
Steven Stamkos
Claude Giroux
Corey Perry
Jonathan Toews
John Tavares
Jason Spezza
Rick Nash
Mike Richards
Jordan Eberle
Eric Staal
Ryan Getzlaf
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Old
05-22-2012, 03:48 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan*
Leaving/Goodbye All

Neal - Crosby - Bergeron
Stamkos - Giroux - Tavares
Richards - Toews - Nash
Skinner - RNH - Seguin
J Staal

Weber
Pietrangelo
Doughty
Keith
Letang
M Staal
Myers

Price
MAF
Smith

Last edited by OttawaRoughRiderFan*: 05-22-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old
05-22-2012, 03:54 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoyelles View Post
Definitely get AP and DD in there... it's sacrilege to think Hamhuis, Seabrook and Girardi are more complete than either one.
Not necessarily. I don't know about you but I trust Hamhuis, Seabrook and Girardi a helluva lot more than Doughty and Pietrangelo. The two youngsters might provide a bit more offense but the aforementioned three guys are absolute rocks on the blueline that can also move the puck.

Keith and Weber should be the definite top pairing, though. The bottom 4 and spares can be debated but Keith and Weber are two of the biggest minute munchers in the NHL and should Weber win the Norris this year like many expect, both will have won Norris trophies in the last 3 seasons.

Old
05-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
J. Neal - S. Crosby - S. Stamkos
J. Tavares - C. Giroux - J. Eberle
M. Richards - J. Toews - R. Nash
J. Benn - R. Getzlaf - C. Perry

S. Weber - D. Keith
K. Letang - A. Pietrangelo
D. Doughty - B. Seabrook

C. Price
M. Fleury
I like your line-up. On the D side, I would add Marc Staal. That third line needs to stay together for 2014 and I don't think much will have changed in their game. Besides Getzlaf, all the players can skate very well.

Jamie Benn and James Neal are two questionables for me, but if they are having a good season in the NHL, I think they will make it.

Others in consideration: Patrice Bergeron, Jeff Skinner, Nugent-Hopkins, Tyler Seguin, Tyler Myers, etc..

I like how the defense is pretty much set (besides one or two guys) unless someone else emerges.

Old
05-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
Not necessarily. I don't know about you but I trust Hamhuis, Seabrook and Girardi a helluva lot more than Doughty and Pietrangelo. The two youngsters might provide a bit more offense but the aforementioned three guys are absolute rocks on the blueline that can also move the puck.

Keith and Weber should be the definite top pairing, though. The bottom 4 and spares can be debated but Keith and Weber are two of the biggest minute munchers in the NHL and should Weber win the Norris this year like many expect, both will have won Norris trophies in the last 3 seasons.
Alex Pietrangelo and Drew Doughty >> Seabrook and Hamhuis (both defensively and offensively)

Pietrangelo is extremely reliable defensively, and from what I've seen from Doughty this playoffs, he is too. Doughty also has experience on his side. In 2010, DD and Keith were the top pair... I suspect they will be again in 2014.

Old
05-22-2012, 05:15 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan*
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Alex Pietrangelo and Drew Doughty >> Seabrook and Hamhuis (both defensively and offensively)

Pietrangelo is extremely reliable defensively, and from what I've seen from Doughty this playoffs, he is too. Doughty also has experience on his side. In 2010, DD and Keith were the top pair... I suspect they will be again in 2014.
Shea Weber - Alex Pietrangelo
Duncan Keith - Drew Doughty

Our top 4 are out of sight and should eat up 85% of the game. Now, if we could just get some goaltending.

Old
05-22-2012, 08:33 PM
JetsHomer

I'm surprised so many people are leaving off Evander Kane. He has the advantage of being a natural winger and I think Canada will be looking for a young power forward for their line up.

Old
05-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Nakawick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I'm surprised so many people are leaving off Evander Kane. He has the advantage of being a natural winger and I think Canada will be looking for a young power forward for their line up.
I agree that Kane has a great shot to make the team.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:04 PM
hambl

1 Bergeron Crosby Stamkos
2 Tavares Toews Giroux
3 Nash Getzlaf E.Staal
4 Lucic M.Richards Perry

Spare Sharp Benn

1 Seabrook Keith
2 Weber Letang
3 Doughty Staal

Spare Myers

1 Fleury
2 Ward

Spare Price

Old
05-22-2012, 09:10 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
He'll have to have another couple seasons like the last one, but I think if he has another 30 goal season he'll be a lock. You can't build a team around soft skilled centers. He has the advantage of being a natural winger, and his power forward game is something that Canada will need as I'm not sold on Rick Nash being a lock for the team

Last edited by JetsHomer: 05-22-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old
05-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Mehar

These are my 13 forwards and my lines as of right now-

Eric Staal Crosby Stamkos

Perry Getzlaf Skinner

Nash Tavares Giroux

Sharp Toews Mike Richards

T. Seguin

Last edited by Mehar: 05-22-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old
05-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Nakawick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
He'll have to have another couple seasons like the last one, but I don't think if he has another 30 goal season he'll be a lock. You can't build a team around soft skilled centers. He has the advantage of being a natural winger, and his power forward game is something that Canada will need as I'm not sold on Rick Nash being a lock for the team
Certainly need some fast power forwards for the wings. Benn and Neal are other guys who could make it ahead of a more skilled but softer center. I just have a felling that if Nash doesn't tail off he will be there because of his experience (2 Olympics, multiple WHC, natural winger, veteran, NHL captain, etc).

Old
05-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
These are my 13 forwards and my lines as of right now-

Eric Staal Crosby Stamkos

Perry Getzlaf Skinner

Nash Tavares Giroux

Sharp Toews Mike Richards

T. Seguin
In a follow up, I do not want Bergeron, Nugent Hopkins, Ladd, Benn, Neal, or O'reilly on this roster as of right now ahead of the guys I listed. Bergeron was horrible the last olympics. He was bad in the faceoffs, and his minutes were drastically reduced as the tournament went along. Crosby was moved from his line as well, since he just was struggling. Nugent Hopkins is not yet ready for prime time. Same goes with Benn, Neal and O'reilly. Maybe in 2018. The other two guys i like are Eberle and Evander Kane if they continue to blossom the next two years. This is a gold medal winning set of forwards. Not to disrespect other posters, but I feel as of right now, this is the forward unit that would lead to gold. Things will change from now until Sochi.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

vCash: 785
Quote:
There's only so many spots. IMO Benn/Neal/Kane/Hall will have to fight over similar roles and at best only two make it (unless they take Benn as 4th line C).

Nash has 3rd line LW locked up (next to Toews) and at least one of Tavares/Stamkos should be moved to LW on a scoring line.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:30 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan*
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
In a follow up, I do not want Bergeron, Nugent Hopkins, Ladd, Benn, Neal, or O'reilly on this roster as of right now ahead of the guys I listed. Bergeron was horrible the last olympics. He was bad in the faceoffs, and his minutes were drastically reduced as the tournament went along. Crosby was moved from his line as well, since he just was struggling. Nugent Hopkins is not yet ready for prime time. Same goes with Benn, Neal and O'reilly. Maybe in 2018. The other two guys i like are Eberle and Evander Kane if they continue to blossom the next two years. This is a gold medal winning set of forwards. Not to disrespect other posters, but I feel as of right now, this is the forward unit that would lead to gold. Things will change from now until Sochi.
Aye Mehar,

It is a good line up. Very good. Having said that, Canada is soooooo deep up front it is hard not to put together a line up that could win Gold.

My concerns with your selections (but what do I know )...

1) Getzlaf and Perry have had off years.
2) Toews/Richards/Nash were the BEST line in 2010 - in the entire Olympics. Why break them up?
3) Sharp will be 33. Too old?
4) Not an Erica Staal fan.

Last edited by OttawaRoughRiderFan*: 05-22-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old
05-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Aye Mehar,

It is a good line up. Very good. Having said that, Canada is soooooo deep up front it is hard not to put together a line up that could win Gold.

MY concerns with your selections (but what do I know )...

1) Getzlaf and Perry have had off years.
2) Toews/Richards/Nash were the BEST line in 2010 - in the entire Olympics. Why break that up?
3) Sharp will be 33. Too old?
4) Not an Erica Staal fan.

You make good points. Forget about the lines, but just the players. Your right, Toews line should be kept. I am an Eric Staal fan, and that is where we differ. When this guy is healthy and right, he is the complete package. Patrick Sharp plays great with Toews and can do it all as well- kill penalties, play Wing or Center, has good chemistry with Toews and internationally has been a very good player for Canada on the big ice. 33 is not too old. You need veterans like him and can not have basically all kids. Getzlaf and Perry played great the last olympics, and i know they had an off year, but on sheer talent, there is nobody better. I stand by my roster as of right now. I put thought into and still have Eberle and Kane as possibilities depending on how they play next season. We will talk again after next season.

Last edited by Mehar: 05-22-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Closed Thread