HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps vs. Ducks. 7:30 EDT. Verizon Center. 11.1.2011

Old
11-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Dirtbag59

vCash: 500
Ovechkin finally getting credit for the kick move he made on the assist in the media, where before it was simply a bounce off Ovi's skate.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:18 AM
SameOld

...and the topic is up on the main board. You know this isn't going to end well.

SameOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Integral

I'm really not to worried about this Ovechkin thing. Even if he did say something inciting, I could attribute that to an emotional outburst. After all, emotions do tend to run pretty high when your team is down a goal and you're short on time (especially if you're upset that you haven't been able to play to your ability).

It's not as if he went to a press conference and started complaining about Boudreau.

Integral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:45 AM
TRASHCAT

Guess Ovy is in the blame everything on BB camp.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:54 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

...if you listened to his post-game comments, you'd know he's in the blame the win on BB camp.

11-02-2011, 01:05 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Thanks to dvr I missed lat 1:35 of 3rd and beyond.

Good win coming off road trip.

Bad pp
Bad pk
Bad BB on d pairings... If you only care about reg season. Good on him to try to figure out option in my book.

But Upset BB doesn't try hammer as rd man. That's a bad sign if hannan can play there but he can't.

Nice to see Eakin. You can tell hes an NHL'r.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:16 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I completely understood Boudreau's defensive pairings at the outset. Seemed pretty obvious he didn't want two non-skaters together. That's why Alzner, Carlson, and Wideman were all on different pairings.

It'll be nice when we can call up a guy from Hershey with some NHL ability and who is a good skater.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:25 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOld View Post
...and the topic is up on the main board. You know this isn't going to end well.
The pengasm in that thread is hilarious. You'd think were in their heads or something

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:29 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I completely understood Boudreau's defensive pairings at the outset. Seemed pretty obvious he didn't want two non-skaters together. That's why Alzner, Carlson, and Wideman were all on different pairings.

It'll be nice when we can call up a guy from Hershey with some NHL ability and who is a good skater.
I'm not sure why they're so reluctant to call up Orlov. He fits the bill, fast skating puck moving defenseman with decent enough all around game (at least he doesn't seem to be any worse defensively than a guy like Gardiner). Orlov-Hamrlik and Schultz-Wideman looks considerably more balanced. Looking at him as an option this early on over Collins can't hurt can it.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:33 AM
IafrateOvie34

Ovy is one of my all time favorite NHL players and it is tough to say bad things about him, but I love that its about the team. He don't strike me as the player that would let it bother him. It may be what wakes the giant up. I wouldn't be surprised to see pre Olympics Ovechkin. Also, I love how Backstrom showed up and made Millbury eat his words. I guess he didn't like being called Doughy.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:37 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I'm not sure why they're so reluctant to call up Orlov. He fits the bill, fast skating puck moving defenseman with decent enough all around game (at least he doesn't seem to be any worse defensively than a guy like Gardiner). Orlov-Hamrlik and Schultz-Wideman looks considerably more balanced. Looking at him as an option this early on over Collins can't hurt can it.
I'm sure he'll get his chance. I think they found out the hard way with Vancouver and the Collins experiment. I rather have Orlov baptized with fire than have Collins back up. I Love seeing Eakin get a chance too. I thought he was really good for his first game and if Brouwer is hurt for any length, I wouldn't mind seeing him play on the first line. Glad to see Brouwer get a goal.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:02 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
Another reason why that's an idiotic move from a coaching point of view is that having Ovi on the ice clears up more space for the rest of the team. Park him at the faceoff circle for the one timer and he'll automatically draw 2 defenders to him, it doesn't matter how good of a night he's having. If BB had half a brain he would draw up a play to make it look like Ovi is being set up for a 1 timer, when really the play if for somebody else. Sorry guys, but this was not a smart move by BB. They did manage to score so it goes under the radar, but wow.
You're assuming ovi would follow that play.

Old
11-02-2011, 02:05 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

It's not like ducks are a fast team. But like I said reg season is about data and flexibility for this team. Oh and habits and discipline.

Ovi is my favorite athlete of all time... But I can't express how happy I am with BB.

Old
11-02-2011, 02:48 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Anyone else growing a little weary of Perreault on the 4th line? I think his initial burst of energy is wearing thin. Let him sit for a couple games, then put him back in when an injury happens and see if his spark is back.

Of course, Beagle's injury makes that tougher. If we keep Eakin up, it's obvious he could take the energy forward role for a little while. If not, it doesn't hurt to platoon King with Perreault some games just to keep Perreault's heart in it.

If Brouwer is injured, that pretty much curtails that plan for now, though.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:25 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

first goal sucked - bad miscom. i hate wides being paired with hammer. quite frankly, right now i just hate hammer. he seems to be nothing but a skating mistake, rarely doing much good. i hope he gets into a groove as we move forward here.

i admit to skipping lots of the game in couple minute chunks. got up early to watch the game before work and it sucked being down 2-0, 3-0...

faceoffs are still a problem. i honestly think a move needs to be made at the TD if we still cant win those crucial draws more frequently. not for a steckel type, who might win the draw and then do nothing else, but someone with good ability as well. those are hard to come by and i dont know who i'd target, but its gonna be hard to win in the playoffs winning 45% or so, and losing so many of those last-minute or PP/PK draws...

good to see ersk back. again, i missed lots of small chunks, but he looked like his usual all-business self, instantly becoming the toughest guy on the caps blueline. hopefully when hes got full confidence in his shoulder he lets opponents know whats up.

great game from the 3rd line. thought eakin played well from what i saw. wideman continues to be a flat-out beast.

in the long haul it might be beneficial but im still not huge on all this line changing. wasnt hendricks with 90 and 28 at one point? i was like WTF?!

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:32 AM
txpd

so...for maybe the first time in his career when the game is on the line the coach told ov to stay on the bench. when he was told, he cursed. well....yea. when knuble was told middle of last game that he was dropped to the 4th line, i bet he he snapped out something with the bark off.

why is this a big deal? he called boudreau fat? OMG.

I am more concerned with why that happened and what happens next.

My view. Ov was embarrassed. He reacted. He meant for Boudreau to hear it because he said it in english. He probably did not intend for the league to hear it. They won the game. He got over it before he talked to the media after the game. He will be over it again today. Lastly I prefer this reaction to Jagr refusing to shoot in the shootout or Pippen refusing to go in the game if the didnt have the final shot.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Robert Theodorson

OV couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last night, BB made the right moves, why he is getting criticized is beyond comprehension.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:47 AM
tycoonheart

Kudos to Bruce for making players accountable.

Who is criticizing him???

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:29 AM
ShutoutJunkie

Ovechkin hasn't been playing to the best of his ability for over a year, and people are giving the coach heat for finally noticing? His star is fading and he's not going to bounce back without being pushed. If the team keeps winning in spite of him, there isn't much motivation for him to keep pushing himself. Boudreau showed some serious stones on this one.

ShutoutJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Stewie G

A couple thoughts from last night.

Loved seeing Schultz rub a guy out along the boards at the beginning of the game. You could almost see the wheels turning in his head as to whether he should go for it or not.

Alzner needs to be the leader on that pair. I was beginning to wonder if either he or Schultz was actually going to look up the ice to try to get the puck out of the zone at all on that first shift.

Brooks didn't take any faceoffs at all that I saw. Chimera took most and even when he got waved out Ward took the draw. The obvious explanation would be an injury, and I'm guessing that has played a role in his FO% steadily decreasing. I hope it's not a long-term thing.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:17 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
first goal sucked - bad miscom. i hate wides being paired with hammer. quite frankly, right now i just hate hammer. he seems to be nothing but a skating mistake, rarely doing much good. i hope he gets into a groove as we move forward here.
Yeah, unfortunately, Hammer has been easily the Caps' worst defenseman this year. Skating's been terrible, he's been doing a lot of chasing rather than anticipataing defensviely, passing has lacked creativity, and his shooting has been tentative. There's no way he should be skating more at even strength than Alzner, IMO. I have a bad feeling that second year on his contract will come back to bite GMGM.

Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 11-02-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old
11-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Foy

We were warned by Montreal fans to limit his minutes. BB hasn't, and we've seen it. A lot of his earlier mistakes were taken care of by playing with Green. The last 3 games have really shown how much of an asset he is.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:00 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
The last 3 games have really shown how much of an asset he is.
Liability.

Edit: Oh, you were talking about Green. And I agree.

But yeah. Hammer was the only one of the FA signings I didnt get or like. I guess he has time to turn it around, but the 2nd year is going to suck.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:05 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Maybe (hoefully) we'll see ruthless George waive Hammer next season if his play doesn't improve. That cap hit and Schultz's need to be moved for a full court press on Suter.

Suter-Green
Alzner-Carlson

That for the next 5-7 years would be money.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:15 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

So is it assumed Schultz will be sitting when Green comes back? Have a Erskine/Schultz rotation or something? I thought Erskine looked good for his first game of the season and I like the idea of him with Wideman when the top six are all healthy.

Green - Hamrlik
Carlson - Alzner
Wideman - Erskine

Hamrlik is really going to be an anchor here shortly.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote