HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps vs. Ducks. 7:30 EDT. Verizon Center. 11.1.2011

Old
11-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Foy

vCash: 500
By his standard, I thought Schultz was great last night, one of his best games in a while.

Used his body a lot (again, by his standard), fired pucks towards the net, started the GWG.

I expect to see Erskine and Schultz rotated, as well as the D-man in the dog house du jour. Don't know the schedule coming up, but when someone on the lighter side comes through, I wouldn't hesitate to sit Wideman or Hamrlik.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:30 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Sit Wideman? Seriously? With Green out, he's it offensively from the blueline. Hell with Green IN, Wideman has been a beast in the offensive zone.

I did like what Wideman said last night in the postgame interview...something close to "I made two blunders and the puck ended up in the back of the net"...

Accountability...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I like the defense corps a lot, provided the clear #1 is in the lineup. Take him out, and it exposes everyone else when they have to shoulder more responsibility... but the same is true of every team.

I like what Wideman and Hamrlik have brought, provided they get the proper minutes. When Green's out, of course they're going to be stretched beyond their comfort zones.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

schultz has been pretty darn good this year imo. ersk was good in his 1st game and i like the guy but i dont think schultz remotely deserves the press box at this point. caps are just fortunate to have 7 roster-worthy d-men while some teams are scraping the barrel to get a solid 3rd pair out there.

i know its never gonna happen, but i honestly think hammer deserves to sit, not the other guys.

carlzner
green-ersk
wides-schultz

would be very happy with that lineup tbh if schultz keeps up his current play and ersk shows no ill effects from his injury and skates well.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Roughing

Kudos to BB. This team gets way too lazy for my liking. It really shows in the PK this year. I have always put that blame on Bruce. If he can put some discipline on these guys, especially the young ones, all the better. OV was horrible tonight and I haven't liked much about his play for huge stretches this season. Next time he plays a game like that I hope he's inactive for the next game. His current approach is not how a superstar handles business.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Maybe (hoefully) we'll see ruthless George waive Hammer next season if his play doesn't improve. That cap hit and Schultz's need to be moved for a full court press on Suter.

Suter-Green
Alzner-Carlson

That for the next 5-7 years would be money.
If we're playing the hypothetical game, Gleason would be very nice and more affordable.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Stewie G

I think Alzner fared OK on the right side, but he seems so much more comfortable on the left. If all 3 RD are healthy, I would be much more inclined to sit Hamrlik at this point. Maybe they could go with a 3-man rotation of Schultz, Erskine, and Hamrlik for the bottom two LD spots. That would hopefully keep Erskine and Hamrlik a little fresher over the long haul.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:41 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
If we're playing the hypothetical game, Gleason would be very nice and more affordable.
Fun fact, Gleason and Schultz are currently on identical contracts.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Brooks didn't take any faceoffs at all that I saw. Chimera took most and even when he got waved out Ward took the draw. The obvious explanation would be an injury, and I'm guessing that has played a role in his FO% steadily decreasing. I hope it's not a long-term thing.
Noticed that as well. Brooks was always strong in the circle in the past, and even in the first few games of this year. Curious as to what happened, whether it be refs calling him on cheating the draw or an injury. Hopefully it can be remedied, since converting him back into a 50%+ FO player would do a lot for our PK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
schultz has been pretty darn good this year imo. ersk was good in his 1st game and i like the guy but i dont think schultz remotely deserves the press box at this point. caps are just fortunate to have 7 roster-worthy d-men while some teams are scraping the barrel to get a solid 3rd pair out there.

i know its never gonna happen, but i honestly think hammer deserves to sit, not the other guys.

carlzner
green-ersk
wides-schultz

would be very happy with that lineup tbh if schultz keeps up his current play and ersk shows no ill effects from his injury and skates well.
I never want to see the Erskine-Green pairing again in my life. Absolutely terrible chemistry between those two.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:35 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Fun fact, Gleason and Schultz are currently on identical contracts.
That's sickening....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:59 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

So is OV part of the BB hate crew now?

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:17 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEuhFRAYtee View Post
So is OV part of the BB hate crew now?
O-V for Vendetta.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:32 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

SWhyno Stephen Whyno
Ovechkin: "It was frustrating and that kind of situation pisses me off ... It's good for the team. I have to respond to that."

But sure, keep thinking OV hates BB if it makes you feel better about your bruce hate.

11-02-2011, 01:34 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Excellent. Maybe the fire gets lit and influences his defensive play.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:35 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Pissed off Ovie is a better Ovie.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Pissed off Ovie is a better Ovie.
Somebody in Carolina is gonna get trucked.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
Somebody in Carolina is gonna get trucked.
Doubt we see the match-up, but I'm hoping it's Skinner.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:42 PM
marcel snapshot

One of the lucky things about being a Caps fan over the last few years (and yeah yeah there have been plenty of things to gripe about) is that you never feel like your team is out of a game. Even down 3-0 last night midway through the game, I didn't think we were out of it -- and it's been that way now for years. There's only a handful of teams you can say that about, and it's something to be grateful for notwithstanding all the playoff heartbreak. Last night underlines why it's so much fun to be a fan of this team.

Just want to echo those who were praising Semin's play last night. He didn't show up on the score sheet, but he played a monster two-way game. His defensive work has been terrific, and offensively he seems to be making a concerted effort to fit his game to what the 5-man group on the ice is trying to achieve, rather than just be a solo artist (in fact, I'd almost like to see a tad more solo artistry from him). On both counts - play in D zone and team play offensively -- the contrast with Ovi's game last night (and in other games, like the 6-5 Tampa game) is stark.

Lastly, as long as Bruce is in tough love mode with Ovi, he shouldn't let him off the ice at the end of practice until he can hit the net 25 times in a row from the top of the circle. If the NHL kept a stat on percentage of shot attempts that constitute a shot on goal for individual players (I think they do it for teams), I'd guess that Ovi's would be way low.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:44 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
SWhyno Stephen Whyno
Ovechkin: "It was frustrating and that kind of situation pisses me off ... It's good for the team. I have to respond to that."

But sure, keep thinking OV hates BB if it makes you feel better about your bruce hate.
I hope Ovi hates what Bruce did. Because that will cause him to play better. Historically, in just about all of sports, superstars always end up headbutting with the coach. Its no biggie. Ovi just needs to respond by playing without his head up his ass.

tycoonheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:47 PM
discobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
SWhyno Stephen Whyno

I don't really care what he staid. I want a captain that the coach can ride and it produce better play from him and the team. I'm hoping that is a growing aspect of the OV-Boudreau interaction....

discobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:48 PM
EroCaps

Ovechkin has responded to criticism positively in the past. I look for him to have a nice weekend.

Of note to me is that the Caps' new culture doesn't seem to be meshing well with Semin; who has been invisible for the most part.

Ward is better than I expected. Brouwer needs to switch places with Knuble. He's struggling on the 1st line.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:59 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I'm just wondering if BB is finally doing stuff that many of his critics have called for, and were met with resistance from some "defenders" (not all)... do those that "defended" against a tougher environment now get labeled as BB haters?

Old
11-02-2011, 01:59 PM
EvoLu7ioN

Yikes, this thing has the potential to blow up...

Stupid media!

EvoLu7ioN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:01 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Also I don't see the big stink about last night. Except it was national TV and caught on camera.

Anyone that paid attention to the entire season saw that Ovi was benched in critical situations earlier. I think it was game 1 or 2. Down a goal... late in game. Even to start OT he wasn't out there for first two shifts. But that game was a local game.

Old
11-02-2011, 02:01 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Ovechkin has responded to criticism positively in the past. I look for him to have a nice weekend.

Of note to me is that the Caps' new culture doesn't seem to be meshing well with Semin; who has been invisible for the most part.

Ward is better than I expected. Brouwer needs to switch places with Knuble. He's struggling on the 1st line.
I think Semin's been great. Not scoring yet, but playing a much better two-way game. Once he gets used to it, the goals will come. As for Brouwer, it would be nice to see him put up some points, but he's going to the net and creating havoc. On both of Ovi's goals in Van, IIRC, he was the screener. If Ovi starts playing smarter this will pay off even more and Brouwer will get some rebound chances too.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote