HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason 'Hart Ross' Spezza Thread

Old
11-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Sweet thread.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
One positive is that Spezza has been a pretty slow starter recently, and then his finishes keep pace with the leagues elite. Having a good start is huge for Spezza in terms of putting up big numbers, as he doesn't need to play catchup with himself.

BTW, if the Sens make the playoffs, absolutely Spezza will be in Hart talks. Without a Hart-like performance from him all year, we're not a playoff team. Thats not really going out on a limb, thats just making a cause-effect connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
It's not a sprint, it's a marathon.

All of this pimping just makes us collectively look like fanboy idiots because the sample sizes are so small.

Brandon Bochenski was being pimped aggressively as a Calder candidate before he'd played a single regular season game for the Senators. I think we've learned our lesson a bit, and the Brandon Bochenski trophy is a cheeky reminder of that.

Ultimately, the elite players achieve that status by consistently performing at that level. We can't rush that process.

Spezza has turned heads already and I hope he continues to do so. As others have shown, statistically, this isn't the first time he's had a hot start to the season.

I agree that he seems to be taking on greater responsibility and more of a leadership role, and that's a good thing.

But he's going to get targeted because our forward offensive depth isn't great, and he's got a track record of getting injured as well as not being particularly productive when he suffers a nagging and chronic injury that isn't enough to keep him out of the lineup but is enough to keep him from the elite levels of play that we're seeing right now.

No one deserves a full season or close to a full season as much as Spezza, as he's been dumped on a lot. But a lot still has to go right to prove anyone wrong. As of right now, he's put together a good 10-game sample of performances, but that is not really revelatory for him.

And I say this because when the bad times hit, I hope we don't react in the opposite way - getting all worked up and wanting to trade everyone and fire people. I 'aint even mad is a good motto for this season, because I suspect we're in for a wild ride.

Steady as she goes. It's been a great series of games, probably more entertaining than anything we saw last year, but extrapolating too much at this point is counter-productive IMO.
I agree with everything that you posted. But see the above post to what I was saying. Literally all I said was that Spezza could be a Hart and Art Ross candidate if Ottawa makes the playoffs. I figured I would just jump on the band-wagon of making overblown topics about players because they're playing really well right now.

Though to be honest Spezza has been elite for a long time now.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:30 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613
Literally all I said was that Spezza could be a Hart and Art Ross candidate if Ottawa makes the playoffs
Yeah, but on HF, that's like saying bomb on an airplane, no matter what the context.

All of this hand-wringing seems silly, but this place can be a nightmare if everyone turns against you.

Look at Vancouver and their fans with their "Deal with it" avatars and cockiness. Literally everyone here wanted them to lose, and soon enough, everyone in RL wanted them to lose too. It's an attitude we can do without.

I 'Aint Even Mad is funny because it's sort of self-deprecating. Personally, I'm enjoying being under the radar and having teams go into paroxysms of rage because they lose to a cellar-dwelling lottery team with AHL talent at every position.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Minister of Offence

Follow with pride, CJam

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Wham City

Quote:
How about we agree to avoid discussion of major NHL awards until at least the All-star break?
This.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Yeah, but on HF, that's like saying bomb on an airplane, no matter what the context.

All of this hand-wringing seems silly, but this place can be a nightmare if everyone turns against you.

Look at Vancouver and their fans with their "Deal with it" avatars and cockiness. Literally everyone here wanted them to lose, and soon enough, everyone in RL wanted them to lose too. It's an attitude we can do without.

I 'Aint Even Mad is funny because it's sort of self-deprecating. Personally, I'm enjoying being under the radar and having teams go into paroxysms of rage because they lose to a cellar-dwelling lottery team with AHL talent at every position.
In case you haven't noticed I'm pretty used to everyone being against me. I can handle it. I'll always stick to my statements and I'll always take responsibility for them. If Spezza started playing like total **** and we made the playoffs I'd have a nice laugh at my own expense. That's how I roll. Just look at what's going on with RNH -- man I made myself look like an ass there (no matter how early it is.)

Old
11-01-2011, 02:44 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
In case you haven't noticed I'm pretty used to everyone being against me. I can handle it. I'll always stick to my statements and I'll always take responsibility for them. If Spezza started playing like total **** and we made the playoffs I'd have a nice laugh at my own expense. That's how I roll. Just look at what's going on with RNH -- man I made myself look like an ass there (no matter how early it is.)
Oh well, I tried.

Old
11-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Oh well, I tried.
Tried what? I don't really understand what you're trying to convey here. Everyone should act the same, post the same, and have the same opinions and we'll live in a perfect Sens community? There's always going to be differing opinions about our players, our team, and our expectations. It's how you go about dealing with those differences that matter. I love having good conversations with people about any player, regardless of whether or not they agree with me.

The problem is that this is the internet and people have a false sense of superiority (over pretty much everyone) and tend to break down to insults, sarcasm and 'trolling' when someone else has an opinion that they don't agree with or is outspoken.

Old
11-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Hutz
Classless User

Quote:
Oh well, I tried.
in fairness to Cjam, I dont remember Vancouver fans saying "oh I guess you didn't have to deal with it after all"

At least he owns up when his bold predictions don't come true. That does count a bit in my book. It's pretty rare round these parts.

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:57 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
I love having good conversations with people about any player, regardless of whether or not they agree with me.

The problem is that this is the internet and people have a false sense of superiority (over pretty much everyone) and tend to break down to insults, sarcasm and 'trolling' when someone else has an opinion that they don't agree with or is outspoken.
Well, I'll tell you this, based on my experience here: grand predictions based on small sample sizes will not lead to good conversations.

If you want to actually have good conversations, you have to be a bit measured in your opinions and you'll received rational and measured responses in return.

If Spezza scores a hat-trick tonight and I go here and exclaim that he could win the Richard trophy this year, what do you think the response would be? If instead, I write something along the lines of Spezza is playing like a top 5 centre right now, I'd likely get more interesting responses.

Of course, all of this is moot if all you want to do is rile people up and catalyze insults, sarcasm and trolling.

I should say that there's nothing wrong with being enthusiastic, but on the main boards it's construed as being an ******* for the most part. The main boards wouldn't work at all if fans of 30 teams all proclaimed that their top players are the best, or the most talented, etc.

When "Sens>NHL" came out, the Sens really were better than the NHL at the time. Of course, they flamed out.

But we still hear about that one to this day.

Anyway, it's a free country. But there are consequences, as silly as that might sound for an Internet message board.

Old
11-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Well, I'll tell you this, based on my experience here: grand predictions based on small sample sizes will not lead to good conversations.

If you want to actually have good conversations, you have to be a bit measured in your opinions and you'll received rational and measured responses in return.

If Spezza scores a hat-trick tonight and I go here and exclaim that he could win the Richard trophy this year, what do you think the response would be?

Of course, all of this is moot if all you want to do is rile people up and catalyze insults, sarcasm and trolling.
Right but what grand predictions am I making really? That Spezza could be in hart/art ross contention if Ottawa makes the playoffs? I'd assume, given the structure of the team, that's the kind of season he has to have for us to make it there so I don't see it as a small sample size thing so much as a logical conclusion.

The Rundblad and Strome things are a little different as it's more a measure of how good they could be in the future. Nobody knows, but most people have opinions. I see this as a place to discuss them. Even still most of the time my projections come into play is when I'm asked or that's the topic of conversation. I always try to keep things on topic and I don't often bring up other players when they're not involved in the topic unless someone else does first.

I like getting information from everyone on here and giving my opinions. I enjoy myself on here I think that's all this is for, right?

Saw the last part of your post now. I don't go and post this kind of stuff on the main boards anyway. Yes I've posted in topics that other people have made about Spezza, Rundblad, etc. but I tend to back up all of my arguments with statistical evidence and videos if I can. But anyway, back on topic.

---------------------------------------------

Spezza is playing well right now. He won't win the Hart or the Art Ross, his back will probably get hurt, and the Sens won't make the playoffs. Here's to hope.

Old
11-01-2011, 03:14 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutz View Post
in fairness to Cjam, I dont remember Vancouver fans saying "oh I guess you didn't have to deal with it after all"

At least he owns up when his bold predictions don't come true. That does count a bit in my book. It's pretty rare round these parts.
Agreed. I often disagree, but it's nice to see a guy own up to his errors. Very rare around these parts. That said, I expect those who doubted Strome will be hearing many a 'toldja so' in a year or two.

11-01-2011, 03:17 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Spezza is playing well right now. He won't win the Hart or the Art Ross, his back will probably get hurt, and the Sens won't make the playoffs. Here's to hope.
I haven't seen him doing the back and groin stretches on the ice during commercial breaks this year.

There's always a thrill of dread when you see that.

Knock on wood.

Old
11-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Hutz
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
Agreed. I often disagree, but it's nice to see a guy own up to his errors. Very rare around these parts. That said, I expect those who doubted Strome will be hearing many a 'toldja so' in a year or two.
Probably true. And people will then point out that RNH is still outscoring him. I'm sure it'll go on for years.

If he's willing to point out that he was wrong, he can point out he was right also... within acceptable limits, of course.

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
jinx thread is jinx
Being positive is great but I don't like those threads, let things play out. Close it please, and open it after 65 games if Spezza is still beasting it

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Euclid
Futbol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutz View Post

Well Vancouver did completely **** the bed in the finals there and pretty much the entire NHL hated them at that point. I can understand why they had trouble owning up to their mistake when they just lost what every NHL fan dreams of and were then endlessly ridiculed for it.

Euclid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:55 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Being positive is great but I don't like those threads, let things play out. Close it please, and open it after 65 games if Spezza is still beasting it
if Spezza gets injured soon i am gonna go ape **** on op

HSF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:13 PM
DukeNukem

It's all good, nothing bad about dreaming large. Might look a little foolish later.

DukeNukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:28 AM
Blarginator

I agree that it's very early to talk about the awards but hypothetically speaking, if the sens were to make the playoffs this year, one (or more) of our players would need to be dominant for the whole season. And by dominant I mean absolutely killing it for the next 69 games. And by killing it I mean making players from other teams cry for their mom every time he'd have the puck. Spezza ,being our best player, is the most likely to be able to do it even though the odds are slim.

So, if Spezza is a beast for the rest of this still very young season and he's the MAJOR reason we somehow make the playoffs this year then he should absolutely get a nomination. IMO he will have a very good year if he stays healthy (80-90pts) but I don't think he's gonna win any awards. He's still one of the best 2-way centers in the league and I will HAPPILY eat my crow if he can do it.

Blarginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:48 AM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
if Spezza gets injured soon i am gonna go ape **** on op
It's bound to happen.

Realistically, we're going to see him miss 10-20 games with a back injury, and play another 10-20 games with a nagging injury that will leave him ineffective.

The hope is, when those games happen, two of Alfie/Karlsson/Anderson go beast mode, to prevent us from freefalling to the bottom of the league.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:23 AM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

Jason Spezza Appreciation Thread

Don't look now, but Jason Spezza is second in the NHL scoring race.

When he produces, the team wins. #SpezzaforHart

I will never forget the single greatest personal performance in Senators playoff history. Jacques scratched him, or barely utilized him for most of the ECF series against the Devils in 2003. He made his triumphant return in Game 5 of that series and single-handedly forced game 6, and then game 7 before falling to Jeff Friesen.

The guy has always been special, but this year should finally silence the haters.

After all the trolls and morons shouting "TRADE SPETSA!", it's nice to see Ol' Giggles overcome all critics. The guy is rounding into the prime of his career, and I'm damn glad it's in a Senators uniform.

Big thanks to our future captain, may he be the third player to play 1000 games in a Senators uniform.

ALL HAIL GIGGLES!

Uncle Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:59 AM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

if he hits 90+ points ill be quite pleased.

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:59 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Trade Spezza

But yeah I could get behind a Spezz for the Hart campaign. If we make the playoffs, he's arguably the biggest reason (Karlsson has a case though). He's having a huge season.

Welcome to the wiserhood, Spezz.

02-16-2012, 02:01 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

should be a lock for first star this week... 3g 4a +5 in 2 games (both wins).

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:04 AM
Philadelphia Collins

I always worry that we're gonna waste Spezza's prime with mediocre wingers, and then he gets 7 points in 2 games and makes mediocre wingers look like stars.

Basically, having a #1 center owns

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote