HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brad Stuart

Old
01-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Smoky

vCash: 500
Brad Stuart

http://www.detnews.com/article/20111...nletter-sports

Old article and not sure how much it's been speculated on, but Stuart basically says it's been difficult to be away from his family. It would make sense, Stuart won the cup in Detroit and has had the most success in his career. Why not end his career near home while playing on SJ, Anaheim or LA? All 3 will be in the hunt for the rest of his career most likely.

Family will definitely play a factor in where Brad Stuart plays next season.
An unrestricted free agent next summer, Stuart is going to have to make a decision. Does he remain with the Wings or move much closer to his family in California?
Stuart's family remains in California during the hockey season.
The time apart has become increasingly difficult as the years go by.
"It's something I'll have to consider," Stuart said. "My family is more important to me than anything. We've spent a lot of time apart the last 31/2 years. It's something I'll have to consider."
Stuart's stepdaughter is finishing high school, while his two sons are approaching school age.
"I love playing here, everything about it, except that (the family living in California), and that's something that can't be changed at this point.
"It's far, cross country, the time change, and all that. It makes it hard. There's not much more to say about it. We've made the best of it. The Red Wings have been awesome about giving me time to sneak home, but it's tough."

The chances of the Wings dealing Stuart are very unlikely however if your team was interested what do you think they might offer? Curious to see what you think your team might offer, especially fans of San Jose, LA, and Anaheim.
Edit: If he were to hit free agency what do you think he would get in terms of years & $?

Last edited by Smoky: 01-09-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 03:07 PM
ZetterBurger

Who knows. Wings won't trade him before deadline. Possible they trade his rights to a team for a 3rd or something.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I know he won a cup in Detroit after the Kings dealt him there but he should've re-signed in LA afterwards.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Exit Dose

You might be out of luck. The Sharks don't seem to need him. I don't see the Kings making any major moves to land a defenseman, and the Ducks don't need a rental that will look to sign in San Jose before he looks to us.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Stuart + for Ryan
Stuart for Lumbo

Stuart for Havlat

Stuart + for Jack Johnson

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
Stuart + for Ryan
Stuart for Lumbo

Stuart for Havlat

Stuart + for Jack Johnson
You might be able to swing something around Johnson, but you are going to have to add significantly.

The rest aren't happening.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Petes2424

I would be floored if Detroit dealt Stuart. He has been a complete professional top 4 dman over the last 3+ years and fits remarkably well with Detroit. Having said that, if he moves in the offseason nobody will be surprised.

And if Stuart was legitimately on the market, Detroit would collect a ransom for him at the deadline as he'd be the best dman on the market.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
http://www.detnews.com/article/20111...nletter-sports

The chances of the Wings dealing Stuart are very unlikely however if your team was interested what do you think they might offer? Curious to see what you think your team might offer, especially fans of San Jose, LA, and Anaheim.
IMO - this makes no sense. The Wings aren't going to trade Stuart in any practical situation. No one is going to move a "better" d-man than Stuart to DET for a guy who will be a UFA on 7/1, and being a serious SC contender, the Wings aren't going to make a move which downgrades their current team. Also, it makes no sense for the Wings to make a "lateral move", because Stuart is a guy who played well for the Wings several times deep into the play-off's, so it's not like we're talking about "addition by subtraction" here.

All this means is that one of the CA teams might be able to get Stuart at a discount as a UFA on 7/1. We'll see if that actually happens, or the "time away from the family" isn't as important as another big money UFA deal for Stuart. (And I'm not ripping on Stuart here - just that he's in the middle of his prime and it'll likely be hard to pass up on signficant $'s when every player has a finite time to cash in the NHL.)

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:32 PM
hockeyball

After this season the Sharks will have:

Boyle - Limited NTC - Likely retained
Burns - 5 more years
Vlasic - 1 more year, but will be re-signed asap at this point. He's quickly becoming a superb two-way d-man.

After that they'll have:
Murray - 1 more year, likely not retained after that (no space, can't afford)
Demers - 1 more year, RFA after that, likely retained long term
Braun - RFA - likely retained long term

So, if the Sharks choose to move Murray in this off-season they could absolutely offer Stuart a new deal. He could also likely replace either Vandermeer or White if either is not retained (likely not).

We certainly won't be trading for him, but I can't imagine the Sharks at least not sending him an offer in the off-season. If he's really serious about coming back to California, that may be his best option.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Iowa Wingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
I would be floored if Detroit dealt Stuart. He has been a complete professional top 4 dman over the last 3+ years and fits remarkably well with Detroit. Having said that, if he moves in the offseason nobody will be surprised.

And if Stuart was legitimately on the market, Detroit would collect a ransom for him at the deadline as he'd be the best dman on the market.
Detroit would NOT collect a ransom for Stuart. Holland acquired him 4 years ago for a 2nd and 4th round draft pick, hardly a ransom. And he isn't even close to Ryan Suter, the best UFA dman in the NHL.

Iowa Wingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Gilligans Island
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
After this season the Sharks will have:

Boyle - Limited NTC - Likely retained
Burns - 5 more years
Vlasic - 1 more year, but will be re-signed asap at this point. He's quickly becoming a superb two-way d-man.

After that they'll have:
Murray - 1 more year, likely not retained after that (no space, can't afford)
Demers - 1 more year, RFA after that, likely retained long term
Braun - RFA - likely retained long term

So, if the Sharks choose to move Murray in this off-season they could absolutely offer Stuart a new deal. He could also likely replace either Vandermeer or White if either is not retained (likely not).

We certainly won't be trading for him, but I can't imagine the Sharks at least not sending him an offer in the off-season. If he's really serious about coming back to California, that may be his best option.
Agree.

During the offseason, I could see Stuart signed to replace Murray and slotted into the 6th dman role. Something like $1-1.25m cap hit on a 2 year deal. He'd be a good vet to pair with either Demers or Braun.

Vandy, I can see re-signed as the 6th or 7th dman

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 06:40 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Agree.

During the offseason, I could see Stuart signed to replace Murray and slotted into the 6th dman role. Something like $1-1.25m cap hit on a 2 year deal. He'd be a good vet to pair with either Demers or Braun.

Vandy, I can see re-signed as the 6th or 7th dman
That's not happening. Stuart will get at least $2.75M-$4M from someone.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Gilligans Island
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
That's not happening. Stuart will get at least $2.75M-$4M from someone.
Not from the Sharks, maybe the Ducks or Kings.

He doesn't have many options if he truly wants to return to California

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:47 PM
ZetterBurger

I doubt he will sign for less than $3 and I doubt he will take that big of a cut to be the 6th defenseman.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Les Wynan*

Would be a great addition to the Ducks but their management staff seems pretty incompetent so it probably won't happen.

I just don't see the Kings or Sharks having the incentive to pay Stuart his market value so unless he's willing to take a significant discount, he probably won't be playing in California.

Les Wynan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:36 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
Would be a great addition to the Ducks but their management staff seems pretty incompetent so it probably won't happen.

I just don't see the Kings or Sharks having the incentive to pay Stuart his market value so unless he's willing to take a significant discount, he probably won't be playing in California.
That's what I'm gathering. I can see Holland romancing Stuart this offseason to get him to re-sign like how they got Modano.

Stuart in all likely hood will stay a Detroit Red Wings unless someone in California can offer him fair market value.

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote