HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
My guess right now:

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Ryan - Stastny - Kessel
Pacioretty - Pavelski - Brown
Oshie - Backes - Callahan

Suter - J. Johnson
Yandle - E. Johnson
McDonagh - Carlson

Quick
Miller
Howard

Defense is pretty tough to predict but I like those players chances. Pretty sick team IMO.
The only change I would make is to move Ryan off of Stastny's line. Those two are talented enough to make something happen, but they don't play complementary styles.

Old
06-08-2012, 07:53 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Brown - Backes - Callahan .... only!

do not put Oshie on that line, I love Oshie and the kid brings it as well, but that line is the ultimate badass shutdown line you could ever want.

Old
06-09-2012, 11:22 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Any chance that Cam Fowler makes the team?

I have to say that if we were to freeze the teams now, you guys would have to be a heavy favourite in 2014....you have depth on all of Off/D/Goal. Canada's problem is it's has a tidal wave of forwards and after that thing get questionable...but that's whining for Canada's thread

Old
06-09-2012, 11:32 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Any chance that Cam Fowler makes the team?

I have to say that if we were to freeze the teams now, you guys would have to be a heavy favourite in 2014....you have depth on all of Off/D/Goal. Canada's problem is it's has a tidal wave of forwards and after that thing get questionable...but that's whining for Canada's thread
If the team were to be named soon? Probably not. But there's still a full season and a half to go and Fowler will certainly be in the mix in that time frame. He's still so young and his game should grow leaps and bounds in that time.

Almost all of the American d-men that will be in contention will be young though so a lot can obviously happen in 18 months. Some guys are going to come on strong and some guys will fall off. Hopefully they all continue to get better and make the decisions unbearably tough.

06-10-2012, 12:46 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
If the team were to be named soon? Probably not. But there's still a full season and a half to go and Fowler will certainly be in the mix in that time frame. He's still so young and his game should grow leaps and bounds in that time.

Almost all of the American d-men that will be in contention will be young though so a lot can obviously happen in 18 months. Some guys are going to come on strong and some guys will fall off. Hopefully they all continue to get better and make the decisions unbearably tough.
yeah, that's the same thing canada has offensively from the 2010 draft (and 2011 re Nugent Hopkins)...a bunch of "on the cusp" players who you can't probably make a decision about until close to when the team is being decided.

...it would be nice to see fowler develop enough to make your team, though!

Old
06-13-2012, 11:37 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
yeah, that's the same thing canada has offensively from the 2010 draft (and 2011 re Nugent Hopkins)...a bunch of "on the cusp" players who you can't probably make a decision about until close to when the team is being decided.

...it would be nice to see fowler develop enough to make your team, though!
love the avatar User...you know your a closet USA fan!!!

Old
06-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Xokkeu

Crazy thought alert:

One thing the us really lacks is offensive creativity, outside of Patrick Kane.

Enter

Alex Galchenyuk

Old
06-15-2012, 12:03 AM
Auzzie19

Kane-Stasny-Kessel
Ryan-Galchenyuk-Parise
Pacioretty-Kesler-Brown
Pavelski-Backes-Oshie
Callahan

Suter-J.Johnson
Faulk-Gardiner
Yandle-Carlson
McDonough

Quick
Miller
Thomas/Jack Campbell

Old
06-15-2012, 03:19 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
love the avatar User...you know your a closet USA fan!!!
I totally am! I think the greatest moment in US hockey history was when Miller let in that weak goal from Crosby...which got turned into (by Canadians) the greatest goal that has ever been scored in the history of hockey

I've decided to "double fist" by honouring Kane (my favourite) player, while proudly displaying my country of origin. So, if Canada wins in 2014, I will cheer loudly...and if it, inevitably, loses b/c of, er, "goal tending issues"...i'll claim that I was cheering for Kane all along (b/c if i don't, he knows how to stab a ***** with an icicle)

Old
06-18-2012, 03:05 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
Kane-Stasny-Kessel
Ryan-Galchenyuk-Parise
Pacioretty-Kesler-Brown
Pavelski-Backes-Oshie
Callahan

Suter-J.Johnson
Faulk-Gardiner
Yandle-Carlson
McDonough

Quick
Miller
Thomas/Jack Campbell
My guess at this point is Howard or Schneider as the third goalie. Can't see Thomas or Campbell being an option.

I also imagine McDonaugh will be in everybody's top four by the end of next season. Faulk and Gardiner are promising, but don't see them over Erik Johnson and certainly not ahead of Yandle.

Admittedly, I don't know enough about him, but Galchenyuk seems like a bold call for the top six already. I'd rather have Kesler centering a top six line.

Unrelated, but I'm still really intrigued by the "Byfuglien factor." Does he get a look? Should he be brought along as a 13th forward type? An overall disturbance? I imagine him on big ice might prohibit him from D.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Xokkeu

In two seasons I can honestly see Faulk surpassing E. Johnson.

That kid has super talent. It's only two years away, so that's tough, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happened.

Of the young kids (1990-) I'd say Fowler and Faulk are the ones with the best shot at grabbing a spot. Bogosian would need to really accelerate his development and I just don't see it from Gardiner.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:41 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
My guess at this point is Howard or Schneider as the third goalie. Can't see Thomas or Campbell being an option.

I also imagine McDonaugh will be in everybody's top four by the end of next season. Faulk and Gardiner are promising, but don't see them over Erik Johnson and certainly not ahead of Yandle.

Admittedly, I don't know enough about him, but Galchenyuk seems like a bold call for the top six already. I'd rather have Kesler centering a top six line.

Unrelated, but I'm still really intrigued by the "Byfuglien factor." Does he get a look? Should he be brought along as a 13th forward type? An overall disturbance? I imagine him on big ice might prohibit him from D.
I have Buff on my squad and I think he should make the team as well. He can play either forward or defense, you can park him infront of the Canada goalie as he will likely bother the hell out of whoever that may be...or you can have him man the point on the power play and just blast it away from the point.

Any way you slice it, big ice or not, Buff is a player seriously in the mix as he can offer plenty of things that we simply do not have otherwise...

Old
06-22-2012, 01:35 AM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
I have Buff on my squad and I think he should make the team as well. He can play either forward or defense, you can park him infront of the Canada goalie as he will likely bother the hell out of whoever that may be...or you can have him man the point on the power play and just blast it away from the point.

Any way you slice it, big ice or not, Buff is a player seriously in the mix as he can offer plenty of things that we simply do not have otherwise...
And if Luongo is in net...

Old
06-29-2012, 05:24 PM
dan1el

Kane-Kesler-Kessel
Parise-Galchenyuk-Ryan
Brown-Backes-Van Riemsdyk
Pacioretty-Pavelski-Pominville
Stastny

Suter-Yandle
J. Johnson-E. Johnson
Carlson-McDonagh
Gardiner

Quick
Howard
Miller

Old
06-29-2012, 07:20 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:

As a Canadian, I also hope you have Buff on your team. Yes he has a lot of upside but he is mistake prone and those mistakes may cost the U.S. early, long before a showdown with Canada.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:22 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
Kane-Kesler-Kessel
Parise-Galchenyuk-Ryan
Stastny

Suter-Yandle
J. Johnson-E. Johnson
Carlson-McDonagh
Gardiner

Quick
Howard
Miller
I like this group. Quite impressive.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:01 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Brown-Calahan-Backes MUST happen. That would be an incredibly physical line, that still has plenty of offensive ability. Maybe you want to spread them out, but with these three on the ice along with really any of the Dmen, you're not going to get an easy goal. I think it's possible Galchenyuk makes the team, but as of right now it seems unlikely to me. Oshie's another guy I would like on the team, and I don't think Statsny is a scratch. He's certainly ahead of JVR, and Patches. Probably even Pavelski. He's a great player.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Kane-Kesler-Kessel
Parise-Galchenyuk-Ryan
Stastny

Suter-Yandle
J. Johnson-E. Johnson
Carlson-McDonagh
Gardiner

Quick
Howard
Miller
As much as I love Jake Gardiner, I think he's a bit overrated by a desperate fan base. (NO offense intended to any Leaf fans).

Cam Fowler or Justin Faulk are both better. Heck I'd even consider dropping EJ to get those two on if they continue their development track and EJ can't get back on his.

I also really don't get the JVR love. He's struggled to stay healthy, he's big but not physical, defensively he's mediocre and offensively he still hasn't broken the 40 point barrier yet. Just don't see it. I'd put Stepan on the team in his place when it comes to young forwards. And Ryan Callahan is about as close to a lock as it gets.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:16 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
As much as I love Jake Gardiner, I think he's a bit overrated by a desperate fan base. (NO offense intended to any Leaf fans).

Cam Fowler or Justin Faulk are both better. Heck I'd even consider dropping EJ to get those two on if they continue their development track and EJ can't get back on his.

I also really don't get the JVR love. He's struggled to stay healthy, he's big but not physical, defensively he's mediocre and offensively he still hasn't broken the 40 point barrier yet. Just don't see it. I'd put Stepan on the team in his place when it comes to young forwards. And Ryan Callahan is about as close to a lock as it gets.
Xokkeu and I see eye to eye on all of these points. Well said.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:02 AM
dan1el

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post

I agree on the Gardiner bit, Fowler is a better option but I'm not so sure about Faulk. And I'm a sens fan, no danger of me homering Gardiner.

For Van Riemsdyk, this is a bit of a homer for a player I really like who I think is poised to really step up his game TO. But I can't believe I forgot Callahan, and especially on a line with Backes and Brown. That would be an absolute nightmare to play against. Excellent points.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:07 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I agree on the Gardiner bit, Fowler is a better option but I'm not so sure about Faulk. And I'm a sens fan, no danger of me homering Gardiner.

For Van Riemsdyk, this is a bit of a homer for a player I really like who I think is poised to really step up his game TO. But I can't believe I forgot Callahan, and especially on a line with Backes and Brown. That would be an absolute nightmare to play against. Excellent points.
Faulk is very good. I'm not sure he'll make the team or not, but I am fairly certain that he'll be apart of future US olympic (or World Cup whatever) efforts. We will find out either way.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:20 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

I love to take digs at American hockey. I love it! But today at work, I overheard (and then participated in) a conversation about how scary you guys are in net. More specifically, the fear that Quick or Miller could single handedly stop what could be one of the greatest teams ever assembled.

I think you should take pride in keeping Canadians awake at night.

Last edited by OttawaRoughRiderFan: 07-06-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old
07-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Warrant*

would Trouba or Skjei be eligible for this team?

Old
07-09-2012, 03:56 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Xokkeu and I see eye to eye on all of these points. Well said.
I'm right there with you.

Old
07-09-2012, 03:58 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrant View Post
would Trouba or Skjei be eligible for this team?
Eligible, but unlikely to get any consideration.

Closed Thread