HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2012, 11:41 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 17 23 View Post
I think Jason Spezza would defiantly be great for Team USA. I think he'd be their first line center if he was American. I feel like he only misses out on Team Canada because he's pretty much Top 6 or bust, and he's not higher on the depth char, than some of the great centers Canada has.
Only because the U.S. lacks centers. I don't question his talent, just his heart.

Old
10-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Xokkeu

Carey price disagrees with you. His girlfriend is American.

Old
10-14-2012, 12:11 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Only because the U.S. lacks centers. I don't question his talent, just his heart.
What's with his heart ?

I think he will be in Sochi, if he's about 80-90 points again. He seems fine to me. Or is there something what makes him off the canadian olympic team ? I don't know...but he has a chance at least, and I'm ok with him on the team, he has talent, solid speed... But of course he's not a lock, I can imagine Eric Staal instead of him. Or someone else.

Old
10-14-2012, 12:15 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Carey price disagrees with you. His girlfriend is American.
Well... nobody's perfect.

Old
10-14-2012, 12:19 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
What's with his heart ?

I think he will be in Sochi, if he's about 80-90 points again. He seems fine to me. Or is there something what makes him off the canadian olympic team ? I don't know...but he has a chance at least, and I'm ok with him on the team, he has talent, solid speed... But of course he's not a lock, I can imagine Eric Staal instead of him. Or someone else.
Welcome THF,

I am not the only who has ever questioned the guy's heart. It is something that has been raised over and over again. I would NEVER have him on my team but that is just me... well, maybe not just me.

Old
10-14-2012, 12:38 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Welcome THF,

I am not the only who has ever questioned the guy's heart. It is something that has been raised over and over again. I would NEVER have him on my team but that is just me... well, maybe not just me.

Ok, I respect that.

Old
10-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Well... nobody's perfect.
I know... Price is Canadian

Old
10-14-2012, 12:54 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I know... Price is Canadian
LOL! You got me.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:02 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
and Price seems content to sit on his *** all year long during the lockout.
Apparently a lot of goalies don't go to Europe because the angles are different on the ice there and it messes them up when they come back to NA.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:49 AM
smitty10

Team USA 2014:

Parise-Backes-Kessel
Ryan-Pavelski-Kane
Pacioretty-Stastny-Pominville
Brown-Kesler-Callahan
Oshie/JVR

Suter-Yandle
McDonough-Shattenkirk
J. Johnson-E.Johnson
Carlson

Quick
Schneider
Howard

Last edited by smitty10: 10-16-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old
10-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Thesensation19

Some of you should watch Brian Burke interviews on how he conducted the USA roster for 2010. Its brilliant and was a success.

He didnt take the best 12 forwards. He formed what many of you should know is a top 6 and bottom 6 depth chart. Top 6 forwards known as artists, skilled players who are there to control the puck and score goals. Bottom 6 plumbers, role players and grinders. Guys who get dirty and can be counted upon in those special situations.

Thats why Burke chose Ryan Callahan, Chris Drury, David Backes when all of you wondered why?

The 2010 if Burke is GM, no reason why not, will look familiar to that team but replacements will be needed for guys who wont be around that time...

1) Patrick Kane- Joe Pavelski- Zach Parise
2) Bobby Ryan- Paul Stastny - Phil Kessel

3) Dustin Brown- Jason Pominville- David Backes
4) Ryan Callahan- Ryan Kesler - David Booth

Alternates=
T.J Oshie
Max Paciroetty
Derek Stepan
Ryan Malone
Dustin Byfuglien (also D)
Kyle Okposo

Defense
1) Ryan Suter, Erik Johnson
2) , Jack Johnson Kevin Shattenkirk
3) Ryan McDonagh Brooks Orpik

Reserves= Alex Goligoski, Mike Komisarek, Ron Hainsey, Matt Carle

Goalies- Jon Quick, Ryan Miller

Reserves- Jimmy Howard, Tim Thomas

David Booth, Jason pominville were both reserves on the USA team 2010. They are def much improved played since then and more well rounded. I think since the top 6 is pretty filled up, and with Dustin Brown being a possible top 6 guy too it was necessary to bring in two key role guys. Guys who are ready to wear the USA jersey, go out and grind bodies... and in the end give it their all.

Same with dmen, Kevin S fills in our void of an offensive Dmen but also still an overall good young player. I think Ryan McDonagh has a legit chance to make this team by 2014. Hes an excellent player coming off two solid first years. Both a +20, crazy for his age. Plus an improving dmen whose getting 2nd looks all the time. I kept Orpik because the team will need some experience, and at 35 he should still be able to give it a go.

Old
10-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Thesensation19

Oooooo Keith Yandle I forgot... hes def good choice but I think by 2014 he wont be on it

Old
10-16-2012, 11:27 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Some of you should watch Brian Burke interviews on how he conducted the USA roster for 2010. Its brilliant and was a success.

He didnt take the best 12 forwards. He formed what many of you should know is a top 6 and bottom 6 depth chart. Top 6 forwards known as artists, skilled players who are there to control the puck and score goals. Bottom 6 plumbers, role players and grinders. Guys who get dirty and can be counted upon in those special situations.

Thats why Burke chose Ryan Callahan, Chris Drury, David Backes when all of you wondered why?

The 2010 if Burke is GM, no reason why not, will look familiar to that team but replacements will be needed for guys who wont be around that time...

1) Patrick Kane- Joe Pavelski- Zach Parise
2) Bobby Ryan- Paul Stastny - Phil Kessel

3) Dustin Brown- Jason Pominville- David Backes
4) Ryan Callahan- Ryan Kesler - David Booth

Alternates=
T.J Oshie
Max Paciroetty
Derek Stepan
Ryan Malone
Dustin Byfuglien (also D)
Kyle Okposo

Defense
1) Ryan Suter, Erik Johnson
2) , Jack Johnson Kevin Shattenkirk
3) Ryan McDonagh Brooks Orpik

Reserves= Alex Goligoski, Mike Komisarek, Ron Hainsey, Matt Carle

Goalies- Jon Quick, Ryan Miller

Reserves- Jimmy Howard, Tim Thomas

David Booth, Jason pominville were both reserves on the USA team 2010. They are def much improved played since then and more well rounded. I think since the top 6 is pretty filled up, and with Dustin Brown being a possible top 6 guy too it was necessary to bring in two key role guys. Guys who are ready to wear the USA jersey, go out and grind bodies... and in the end give it their all.

Same with dmen, Kevin S fills in our void of an offensive Dmen but also still an overall good young player. I think Ryan McDonagh has a legit chance to make this team by 2014. Hes an excellent player coming off two solid first years. Both a +20, crazy for his age. Plus an improving dmen whose getting 2nd looks all the time. I kept Orpik because the team will need some experience, and at 35 he should still be able to give it a go.
Agreed. That's why I chose the roster I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Oooooo Keith Yandle I forgot... hes def good choice but I think by 2014 he wont be on it
Why won't he be on it in 2014? He'll only be 27.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I liked the mindset that went into creating the 2010 team, but because of the international sized ice dynamic in 2014 I think the make-up of the roster will be a little differant. More of an emphasis on speed and and puck moving ability-in particular on the backend. Here's who I think stand the best shot of making the team:

Goaltenders (x3):

Locks: Jonathan Quick, Ryan Miller

Good bets: Cory Schneider or Jimmy Howard

X Factor: Tim Thomas

Defense (x7):

Locks: Ryan Suter, Keith Yandle, Ryan McDonagh, Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson

Others to consider: Zach Bogosian, Justin Faulk, Kevin Shattenkirk, Brooks Orpik, Cam Fowler, Alex Goligoski

X Factor: Dustin Byfuglien

Forwards (x13):

Locks: Zach Parise, Bobby Ryan, Phil Kessel, Dustin Brown, Patrick Kane, Ryan Callahan, David Backes, Joe Pavelski, Paul Stastny, Ryan Kesler

Others to consider: Derek Stepan, Blake Wheeler, Max Pacioretty, TJ Oshie, Jason Pominville

X Factor: JVR

Here's what my team would look like as of today (excuse positions):

Goaltenders (x3):

Jonathan Quick (starter)
Ryan Miller (backup)
Cory Schneider

Defense (x7):

Ryan Suter/Zach Bogosian
Erik Johnson/Jack Johnson
Keith Yandle/Ryan McDonagh
Justin Faulk

Forwards (x13):

Zach Parise-Paul Stastny-Bobby Ryan
Phil Kessel-Blake Wheeler-Patrick Kane
Max Pacioretty-Derek Stepan-Ryan Kesler
Ryan Callahan-David Backes-Dustin Brown
Joe Pavelski

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 10-16-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old
10-16-2012, 07:05 PM
PhillyBluesFan

If Pavelski and E.Johnson make the team I don't like our chances we have much better options IMO.

Old
10-16-2012, 11:39 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBluesFan View Post
If Pavelski and E.Johnson make the team I don't like our chances we have much better options IMO.
For EJ, I'd wait and see how he does this year. If he can bounce back, then he should be there.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:05 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Quote:
What's wrong with Pavelski? I would be surprised if he wasn't on the roster come 2014.

With Erik Johnson it's tough because there's a lot of depth on D for the Americans, but I personally have him penciled in for 2014 as well.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
If anyone thinks EJ or JJ won't make the US roster they are sorely mistaken. Barring a major injury or injury prior to the tournament, both are locks. JJ being a frequent participant in US programs (and his skill) and EJ being a rock defensively should make them a pretty solid pairing to be honest.

I'm expecting as of today this to be the rough defensive group.

Suter - Yandle
JJ - EJ
McDonagh - Bogosian/Shattenkirk/Fowler/Carlson

A solid mix of offensive and defensive acumen with good speed all around.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:30 AM
flyers28giroux

Quote:
Well with Pavelski he's a good two way forward in which will need but he is probably our third best centerman after Kesler and Backes. With E. Johnson I just can't see making this team with the depth of defensemen we have, now it could change if he has a good season next year but that's a big question mark.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Thesensation19

designing america and canada roster, be careful. thia olympics is played on international size rinka so apeed will be a factor.

last time it was on international ice the north americans did not fair too well.

but burke should be gm and he understands how a team with american lack in talent compared to Russia canada sweden , needs to built. 6 top guys, 6 role players. artists or skilled players with plumbers or grinders.

i think it will remain the same as you saw in 2010 but we have 2 or 3 necessary replacements. i dont think orpik will be a good choice anymore at his lack of speed and age for a big rink. guys like shattenkirk and hainsey and look out for mcdonagh will be more necessary.

pominville looks best choice to fill in one fwd gap like drury. maybe even stepan in 2 yeara will be a good choice. fast, smart and talented. and chris kreider for his speed.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers28giroux View Post
Well with Pavelski he's a good two way forward in which will need but he is probably our third best centerman after Kesler and Backes. With E. Johnson I just can't see making this team with the depth of defensemen we have, now it could change if he has a good season next year but that's a big question mark.
Pavleski's a 30 goal scorer. "Nuff said on this team. He's a very good two-way guy who can play the point on the PP. As for Johnson, I know he gets a bad rap on these boards, but he's a shoo-in for this team. He's a darling of USA Hockey and is always great internationally (he and Suter were the two best d-men in 2010). He's also a very good player in his own right who is finally rounding into form.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:19 PM
WingsMike
Registered Man

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Pavleski's a 30 goal scorer. "Nuff said on this team. He's a very good two-way guy who can play the point on the PP. As for Johnson, I know he gets a bad rap on these boards, but he's a shoo-in for this team. He's a darling of USA Hockey and is always great internationally (he and Suter were the two best d-men in 2010). He's also a very good player in his own right who is finally rounding into form.
Rafalski was named best D-man of the tournament.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Your 100% right. I just watched USA vs Canada and I 1) USA likes the way he plays hense why he made the roster even at his age and why he played in so many crucial situations

2) I like the way he played, poise and control

Pavelski is probably USAs best center. Stastny is not a point getter and it hurts him but still a smart defensive forward

Old
10-18-2012, 02:34 PM
PhillyBluesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers28giroux View Post
I think Oshie, Stepan and Statsny bring more to the table.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I think Oshie, Stepan and Statsny bring more to the table.
Not Stastny, sorry

Closed Thread