HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 07:06 AM
PSGJ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
We haven't been great defensively in four years.
Last season Detroit had the third fewest shots against. I'd say that's a good defense.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Parise - Kesler - Kane
Pacioretty - Stastny - Kessel
Brown - Backes - Callahan
Ryan - Pavelski - Pominville
Oshie/Stepan

Suter - Yandle
JJ - EJ
McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Carlson/Bogosian

Quick
Miller
Schneider/Howard

Old
02-08-2013, 07:31 AM
moolah3i4
Long Live The Note.

vCash: 500
Brown-Backes-Callahan

Old
02-08-2013, 09:06 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Dat shutdown line...damn.

Yeah, I think USA has a better pool of defenceman to pick out of. That list is absolutely ridiculous with McD, Shattenkirk, Yandle, Suter, Johnson's, etc.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:36 AM
threeVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Parise-Kesler-Kane
Ryan-Statsny-Kessel
Pacioretty-Pavelski-Brown
Oshie-Backes-Callahan
Galchenyuk-(the more I think about it I'd take the offensive center)

Suter-Shattenkirk
McDonagh-E.Johnson
Yandle-J. Johnson
Leddy or Orpik

Buff is just not good enough defensively imo. With Suter, Shattenkirk, Yandle and J.Johnson we are good on the pp.

Quik
Miller
Anderson
Dont understand the love for Patches and Gally, especially when it comes at leaving Pomminville off the roster. Never in 1000 years will he be left off the USA roster if he isnt hurt. Not even being a homer but the guy puts up points, finishes when he has a chance, can pass with anyone, AND plays in all 3 phases of the game.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:23 AM
alexmanu

Anyone think Colin Wilson will get a shot? Good two way player, skilled, big body. I think he would fit in well with the US team.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:30 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanu View Post
Anyone think Colin Wilson will get a shot? Good two way player, skilled, big body. I think he would fit in well with the US team.
USA has better options for two-way players, don't you think?

Old
02-08-2013, 10:34 AM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
USA has better options for two-way players, don't you think?
You're probably right but this kid has been dominant so far this season. Best player on Preds offense by far.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeVo View Post
Dont understand the love for Patches and Gally, especially when it comes at leaving Pomminville off the roster. Never in 1000 years will he be left off the USA roster if he isnt hurt. Not even being a homer but the guy puts up points, finishes when he has a chance, can pass with anyone, AND plays in all 3 phases of the game.
Quote:
Both of them fall into the same problem, neither are clearly better than their competition nor do they provide a skill which is unique to them only. It makes Pominville's chances slimer than they should be (given his talent) because he's not easily top 6 on this team (Kane, Kessel) nor is he easily bottom 6 because he's not as much of a grinder (Callahan, Oshie).

I think they will take him as the 13th forward or he might make it over Oshie if the GM/Coach feel we don't need an energy/grinding line, but he's not a lock by any means.

Similarly for Wilson, he's got Kesler, Stastny, Pavelski and Backes ahead of him on the center chart and all of them are excellent 2-way centers. At wing he's outmatched as well. Just no room for him.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:13 AM

If Bylsma does in fact get the nod, expect to see Paul Martin and Brooks Orpik as a pairing.

And yes I'm serious, they've been awesome together this season.

That is, if they keep their play up.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Karnov

Ryan Lambert of Puck Daddy put up a blog about his choices.
Projecting the 2014 US Olympic team, which will definitely win a gold medal for sure

Zach Parise - Joe Pavelski - Patrick Kane
Ryan Callahan - David Backes - Phil Kessel
Max Pacioretty - Ryan Kesler - Bobby Ryan
James van Riemsdyk - Brandon Dubinsky - Dustin Brown
Jason Pominville, Paul Stastny

Ryan Suter - Kevin Shattenkirk
Keith Yandle - Dustin Byfuglien
Paul Martin - Justin Faulk
Brooks Orpik

Jonathan Quick
Jimmy Howard
Cory Schneider

Old
02-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnov View Post
Projecting the 2014 US Olympic team, which will definitely win a gold medal for sure

Brooks Orpik

Jonathan Quick
Jimmy Howard
Cory Schneider
Unless JVR has an amazing year I think it's absurd to put him in over Pominville. Give me Ryan Miller over Howard as well.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Ceff Jarter
Registered Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnov View Post

Brooks Orpik

Jonathan Quick
Jimmy Howard
Cory Schneider
yea.. that is not the best we can do. Ryan Lambert

Old
02-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by beached whaler View Post
yea.. that is not the best we can do. Ryan Lambert
+1

Pavelski centering the top line, Byfuglien, Martin, Faulk and Orpik over JJ, EJ, Carlson, McD, Bogosian then one of Schneider or Howard over Miller?

Old
02-08-2013, 11:33 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Both of them fall into the same problem, neither are clearly better than their competition nor do they provide a skill which is unique to them only. It makes Pominville's chances slimer than they should be (given his talent) because he's not easily top 6 on this team (Kane, Kessel) nor is he easily bottom 6 because he's not as much of a grinder (Callahan, Oshie).

I think they will take him as the 13th forward or he might make it over Oshie if the GM/Coach feel we don't need an energy/grinding line, but he's not a lock by any means.

Similarly for Wilson, he's got Kesler, Stastny, Pavelski and Backes ahead of him on the center chart and all of them are excellent 2-way centers. At wing he's outmatched as well. Just no room for him.
Pominville does provide something very unique to USA's offense: a playmaking winger. The only other good playmakers we have are Stastny and Kane. And pretty much all of our centers outside of Stastny are shoot-first guys. Pominville's ability in that regard could and should be a big part of USA actually getting lines that click/have some chemistry. Not to mention he's a very good two-way player; he's not a "checking" player, but he's good at stripping opponents of the puck, particularly in the neutral zone, and churning the play the other direction. Callahan is obviously a better physical player and better along the boards, but I his skill set is replicated by a ton of USA's other forwards and could easily be less valuable to USA than Pominville's on big ice/given the rest of the make-up of the team.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Leddy shouldn't even be discussed for this team. They have at least 15 better options defensively.
Please list them...

Keeping in mind that the games will be on larger ice surfaces.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Pominville does provide something very unique to USA's offense: a playmaking winger. The only other good playmakers we have are Stastny and Kane. And pretty much all of our centers outside of Stastny are shoot-first guys. Pominville's ability in that regard could and should be a big part of USA actually getting lines that click/have some chemistry. Not to mention he's a very good two-way player; he's not a "checking" player, but he's good at stripping opponents of the puck, particularly in the neutral zone, and churning the play the other direction. Callahan is obviously a better physical player and better along the boards, but I his skill set is replicated by a ton of USA's other forwards and could easily be less valuable to USA than Pominville's on big ice/given the rest of the make-up of the team.
Fair points, but in my opinion you've got 3 lines Pominville won't fit on.

Line 1, contains either Stastny or Kane. Line 2, contains either Stastny or Kane. Line 3, contains Brown-Backes-Cally, a line which should be kept as a shutdown and physical line.

So the real question is what team USA tries to make the 4th line out to be. Pominville could definitely play a major role in a Ryan - Pavelski line if they were used offensively. But he could also end up the odd man out if they need an energy/grinding line and they opt for Oshie and use Kesler or Backes in that role as the center.

I just don't see him as someone we can look at the projected roster today and say 'He's definitely going to play a key role in it'.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:44 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
I'd argue being the fourth-highest scorer from 10-11 to now puts Pominville in a good spot offensively. More points and better ppg than Parise, Ryan, Kesler, MaxPac, Callahan, etc. One point fewer than Pavelski in the same amount of games. Add this to his defensive and PK success. If it's up to him vs. Stastny it's hardly a tough decision.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:48 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
As a Canadian, I am jealous of your options. You guys are going to have a damn good team no matter who's picked.
They have great options, but jealous? Really? Other than maybe goaltending, what position would you swap out?

US will have a team that can win. I hope they take silver, though.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

I think Jack Johnson definitely deserves the C based on his commitment and great job representing USA hockey...that being said it depends on the coach. Obviously as a rangers fan im bias and really hope Callahan gets the C..the guy is an amazing captain, american and plays the game the best ways. If you want to teach your kid how to play hockey, show him ryan callahan. I hope he at least gets a letter.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post
Jack Johnson is absolutely awful on the defense. He costs his team much more in his own zone than he can produce on the offense. The US has enough quality d-men to leave him off the team.
Not going to happen. The guy steps up for USA Hockey every year.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Fair points, but in my opinion you've got 3 lines Pominville won't fit on.

Line 1, contains either Stastny or Kane. Line 2, contains either Stastny or Kane. Line 3, contains Brown-Backes-Cally, a line which should be kept as a shutdown and physical line.

So the real question is what team USA tries to make the 4th line out to be. Pominville could definitely play a major role in a Ryan - Pavelski line if they were used offensively. But he could also end up the odd man out if they need an energy/grinding line and they opt for Oshie and use Kesler or Backes in that role as the center.

I just don't see him as someone we can look at the projected roster today and say 'He's definitely going to play a key role in it'.
If the choice is between Pominville and Stastny, Stastny is probably getting dropped.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I don't think so. He'd have to have a major breakout year.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeVo View Post
Pacioretty scored 33 goals and 65 points last year. What's not to love? I think only four Americans scored more points, Kane, Kessel, Pominville and Parise.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Leddy shouldn't even be discussed for this team. They have at least 15 better options defensively.
Unfortunately right now neither should Carlson.

Closed Thread