HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-11-2011, 11:50 PM
  #151
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 23,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTintheD View Post
But seriously, I like these lines.

Parise-Stastny-Kessel
Ryan-Kesler-Kane
Backes-Pavelski-JVR
Brown-Dubinsky-Callahan
Oshie

Suter-Goligoski
Johnson-Johnson
Carlson-Fowler
Yandle

Miller
Howard
Quick

Boom. Gold.
I know you're a Wings fan and he has been less than impressive against us lately. But Yandle is a shoe-in, not the 7th d-man. He will likely be on the top pair and would certainly be in front of the five guys you listed after Suter.

The Zetterberg Era is offline  
Old
12-12-2011, 08:28 AM
  #152
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 24,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I expect two of the younger recent graduates to get a legitimate shot at making this team. That doesn't mean they will, but they will get a serious look. Also important is with a lot of Americans on good teams this season some of these kids are probably going to get a chance to play in the WC. Kreider could get a sniff depending on how he does when he turns pro. But, Coyle will probably drop directly into the top six in Minnesota when he does turn pro. I like Orpik, but key to looking at this team is the bigger ice surface. Guys that can really skate are going to be important and I think that will hurt Orpik compared to a lot of his competition.
As pure defensive physical dmen go, Orpik is probably the best skating one in the league.

wej20 is offline  
Old
12-12-2011, 02:14 PM
  #153
MarryMarner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,839
vCash: 500
Parise - Kesler - Kessel
Ryan - Statsny - Kane
JVR - Pavelski - Pominville
Brown - Backes - Callahan

J.Johnson - Yandle
Suter - Gardiner
E.Johnson - Carlson

Miller
Quick


Last edited by MarryMarner: 12-15-2011 at 09:01 PM.
MarryMarner is offline  
Old
12-12-2011, 03:29 PM
  #154
ChiHawk21
Registered User
 
ChiHawk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffleafsfan91 View Post
Parise - Kesler - Kessel
JVR - Pavelski - Pominville
Brown - Backes - Callahan

J.Johnson - Yandle
Suter - Gardiner
E.Johnson - Carlson

Miller
Quick
Stasny and Kane couldnt make the squad? only taking 3 lines? Gardiner is gunna make it?

ChiHawk21 is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 07:03 PM
  #155
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 11,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHawk21 View Post
Stasny and Kane couldnt make the squad? only taking 3 lines? Gardiner is gunna make it?
hahahahaha, must be a massive epidemic that hit the league and only left us with 9 eligible forwards to ice!!

I also love that Jake Gardiner was thrown in on his list, I am rooting for the kid 100%, but COME ON MAN! Put Leddy over him and he doesnt have a chance in hell as it stands now.

AmericanDream is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 08:15 AM
  #156
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 40,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHawk21 View Post
Stasny and Kane couldnt make the squad? only taking 3 lines? Gardiner is gunna make it?
I imagine he accidently deleted a line with those two and Bobby Rran.

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 09:10 AM
  #157
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I expect two of the younger recent graduates to get a legitimate shot at making this team. That doesn't mean they will, but they will get a serious look. Also important is with a lot of Americans on good teams this season some of these kids are probably going to get a chance to play in the WC. Kreider could get a sniff depending on how he does when he turns pro. But, Coyle will probably drop directly into the top six in Minnesota when he does turn pro. I like Orpik, but key to looking at this team is the bigger ice surface. Guys that can really skate are going to be important and I think that will hurt Orpik compared to a lot of his competition.
That's extremely unlikely unless the Wild make some major trades. If he's kept at center:

Turns pro in 2012-2013 - Has to beat out two of Koivu, Cullen, Granlund (if kept center)
Turns pro in 2013-2014 or later - Has to beat out all but one of Koivu, Granlund (if kept center), Larsson, Phillips (if kept center)

If he's moved to wing:

Turns pro in 2012-2013 - Has to beat out all but three of Heatley, Setoguchi, Bouchard, Latendresse, Zucker, Granlund (if moved to wing), Bulmer, Phillips (if moved to wing)
Turns pro in 2013-2014 or later - Has to beat out all but three of Heatley, Setoguchi, Latendresse, Zucker, Granlund (if moved to wing), Bulmer, Phillips (if moved to wing), Haula

Seeing how Coyle's rumored to turn pro in 2012-2013, he'll almost certainly spend his first season in the AHL. It seems extremely unlikely he'll have any meaningful NHL experience ahead of selections for the 2014 team.

squidz* is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 12:44 PM
  #158
hockeywoot
Registered User
 
hockeywoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: China
Posts: 1,141
vCash: 500
3 years from now...

Ryan-Kane-Kessel
Parise-Kesler-JVR
Backes-Pavelski-Stepan
Brown-Stastny-Dubinsky
Byfuglien

Suter-Yandle
Johnson-Carlson
Johnson-Fowler
Blum

Schneider
Miller
Quick


Pretty darn solid team.

hockeywoot is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 02:20 PM
  #159
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!
 
McDonaghisGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bethesda, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 7,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywoot View Post
3 years from now...

Ryan-Kane-Kessel
Parise-Kesler-JVR
Backes-Pavelski-Stepan
Brown-Stastny-Dubinsky
Byfuglien

Suter-Yandle
Johnson-Carlson
Johnson-Fowler
Blum

Schneider
Miller
Quick


Pretty darn solid team.
No way Dubinsky makes it over Callahan.

McDonaghisGod is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:34 AM
  #160
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 7,601
vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain richie18 View Post
I'm a flyers fan and I think the only negative thing about JVR going into the future is his shot.
What part of his shot exactly? He's got a good wrister, and won the team's hardest shot last year with a 101.5mph or something in that ballpark.

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Kessel - Stasny - Ryan
Jvr - Pavelski - Callahan
Brown - Oshie - Pacioretty


HM/backups: Stafford, Backes, Dubinsky, Galchenyuk? ( )

Suter - Yandle
E. Johnson - Goligoski
Bogosian - Carlson


HM/backups: Fowler, Orpik, Shattenkirk, J. Johnson

Miller
Howard
Schneider


HM/backups: Quick, Thomas (if he's still active), Montoya

sobrien is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 02:55 AM
  #161
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,998
vCash: 500
Stafford over Pominville bothers Sabres fans abound. Pominville will be there. Peep the list of American scores this year and since the lockout.

jBuds is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 08:50 PM
  #162
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 40,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Stafford over Pominville bothers Sabres fans abound. Pominville will be there. Peep the list of American scores this year and since the lockout.
Seriously. Very good defensively, pops in 60-80 points a season, great PK'er, and leadership...he has to be at the very least in the mix. I think he could do great as a checking line RW.

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 09:00 PM
  #163
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,384
vCash: 500
I'll take a shot.

Zach Parise - Ryan Kesler - Patrick Kane
Bobby Ryan - Paul Stastny - Phil Kessel
Dustin Brown - David Backes - Joe Pavelski
James Van-Riemsdyk - TJ Oshie - Ryan Callahan

*Derek Stepan

Ryan Suter - Brooks Orpik
Erik Johnson - Alex Goligoski
Keith Yandle - Jack Johnson

*John Carlson

Ryan Miller
Jonathan Quick

*Cory Schneider

HockeySensible is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 09:33 PM
  #164
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,285
vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
What part of his shot exactly? He's got a good wrister, and won the team's hardest shot last year with a 101.5mph or something in that ballpark.

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Kessel - Stasny - Ryan
Jvr - Pavelski - Callahan
Brown - Oshie - Pacioretty


HM/backups: Stafford, Backes, Dubinsky, Galchenyuk? ( )

Suter - Yandle
E. Johnson - Goligoski
Bogosian - Carlson


HM/backups: Fowler, Orpik, Shattenkirk, J. Johnson

Miller
Howard
Schneider


HM/backups: Quick, Thomas (if he's still active), Montoya
Re: Galchenyuk - I'm thinking we've already seen everyone that's going to be on that team in the NHL (with the exception being I guess Kreider, cuz they obviously like him).

I didn't put him on my team though.

magic school bus is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 10:52 PM
  #165
DuckJet
Poster of the Year
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 49,089
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
What part of his shot exactly? He's got a good wrister, and won the team's hardest shot last year with a 101.5mph or something in that ballpark.

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Kessel - Stasny - Ryan
Jvr - Pavelski - Callahan
Brown - Oshie - Pacioretty


HM/backups: Stafford, Backes, Dubinsky, Galchenyuk? ( )

Suter - Yandle
E. Johnson - Goligoski
Bogosian - Carlson


HM/backups: Fowler, Orpik, Shattenkirk, J. Johnson

Miller
Howard
Schneider


HM/backups: Quick, Thomas (if he's still active), Montoya
Fowler over Bogo and Goligoski easily

DuckJet is online now  
Old
12-16-2011, 10:50 PM
  #166
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,285
vCash: 141
Just out of curiosity, would you put Vanek on the team? (if he ever changed his mind)

magic school bus is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 08:12 PM
  #167
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 40,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Just out of curiosity, would you put Vanek on the team? (if he ever changed his mind)
Can't. He's played for Austria in IIHF play (including the world championships), so he's locked in.

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 09:28 PM
  #168
KareyPrice
Registered User
 
KareyPrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
Why isnt Pacioretty getting some love?? the oylmpics are 3 years away and the guy has taken major steps in becoming one of the best goal scorers on the Habs, in 3 years he will probably have 1 or 2 30 goal seasons under his belt I think he has a legit shot at cracking the third or fourth line just because he has speed and can grind away.

KareyPrice is offline  
Old
12-18-2011, 11:48 AM
  #169
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,285
vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Can't. He's played for Austria in IIHF play (including the world championships), so he's locked in.
I thought he was allowed to switch because of the 4 year rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KareyPrice View Post
Why isnt Pacioretty getting some love?? the oylmpics are 3 years away and the guy has taken major steps in becoming one of the best goal scorers on the Habs, in 3 years he will probably have 1 or 2 30 goal seasons under his belt I think he has a legit shot at cracking the third or fourth line just because he has speed and can grind away.
Re-read the thread. He was talked about earlier.

magic school bus is offline  
Old
12-18-2011, 11:15 PM
  #170
StaalForOne
#FreeBeau
 
StaalForOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,460
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to StaalForOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I'll take a shot.

Zach Parise - Ryan Kesler - Patrick Kane
Bobby Ryan - Paul Stastny - Phil Kessel
Dustin Brown - David Backes - Joe Pavelski
James Van-Riemsdyk - TJ Oshie - Ryan Callahan

*Derek Stepan

Ryan Suter - Brooks Orpik
Erik Johnson - Alex Goligoski
Keith Yandle - Jack Johnson

*John Carlson

Ryan Miller
Jonathan Quick

*Cory Schneider
This is the best team I've seen yet posted, but to be fair I didn't read the entire thread. Just the first and last page. I would swap Goligoski and Carslon though.

Couple things, goalies could change drastically, if the team were picked this season Miller wouldn't/shouldn't make it. I'm hopefully he can rebound because he was a big part of why we did as good as we did in Vancouver obviously. But it could be any of Howard, Miller, Thomas, Quick, and Campbell as a dark horse.

I can't even remember Kessel playing in 2010, I'd be hesitant to bring him back because let's face it, if he's not scoring then what the hell good is he? I'd rather have a spot for a bubble guy like Oshie or Malone where at least they can bring other intangibles to the team, and aren't exactly offensively inept themselves. I don't like Kane's style of play either but at least he did some damage in the last tournament.

I do like the amount of grit the team should have though. I am looking forward to another Pre-Olympic Backes headhunting fest of the Canadians, that was awesome.

Is Buffy American? He would be a good asset as a forward, definitely not as a Dman though.


Zach Parise - Ryan Kesler - Patrick Kane
Bobby Ryan - Paul Stastny - Phil Kessel
Dustin Brown - Joe Pavelski - David Backes
James Van-Riemsdyk - TJ Oshie - Ryan Callahan
HM: Derek Stepan, Ryan Malone


Ryan Suter - Brooks Orpik
Erik Johnson - Jack Johnson
Keith Yandle - John Carlson

HM: Alex Goligoski (could be Rafalski's replacement), Paul Martin, Tyler Myers? Think he's a dual citizen, not sure how that works.

Ryan Miller
Jonathan Quick
Cory Schneider

HM Campbell, Thomas if he's still around


Some of these names being mentioned are laughable, Dubinsky, Montoya? I would hope for our sakes we don't have to resort to that.

StaalForOne is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 12:17 AM
  #171
TheStranger
Registered User
 
TheStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,970
vCash: 500
I'm kind of surprised...as "bad" as EJ has been he still is in the top 2 pairings for team USA. Guess they don't have a ton of depth on D, but still.

Hopefully he continues to improve and really solidifies their defense for them.

Also, what about Shattenkirk? Who knows how good he'll be in a couple seasons. Most blues fans think he's better than EJ is NOW, let alone in 2 years.

TheStranger is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 12:19 AM
  #172
Epictetus
Moderator
Create yourself.
 
Epictetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,799
vCash: 50
Yeah, don't bring Kessel

Epictetus is online now  
Old
12-19-2011, 12:46 AM
  #173
DanrikCarter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
What about Vancouver's line is they start to click?

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

DanrikCarter is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 09:01 AM
  #174
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 20,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
I'm kind of surprised...as "bad" as EJ has been he still is in the top 2 pairings for team USA. Guess they don't have a ton of depth on D, but still.

Hopefully he continues to improve and really solidifies their defense for them.

Also, what about Shattenkirk? Who knows how good he'll be in a couple seasons. Most blues fans think he's better than EJ is NOW, let alone in 2 years.
Johnson has been a stalwart of U.S. international teams for years and was tremendous at the 2010 Olympics. Yeah, he's up and down for the Avs, but IMO his future is very bright. He'll be there in 2014.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 09:04 AM
  #175
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 20,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanrikCarter View Post
What about Vancouver's line is they start to click?

Booth - Kesler - Higgins
Kesler will be there, but I doubt the other two will get a sniff (Booth has more of a chance than Higgins).

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.