HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanrikCarter View Post
What about Vancouver's line is they start to click?

Booth - Kesler - Higgins
Kesler will definitely be there. I keep waiting and hoping that Booth breaks out soon but I haven't seen it yet. And I didn't even know Higgins was American

Old
12-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
I'm kind of surprised...as "bad" as EJ has been he still is in the top 2 pairings for team USA. Guess they don't have a ton of depth on D, but still.

Hopefully he continues to improve and really solidifies their defense for them.

Also, what about Shattenkirk? Who knows how good he'll be in a couple seasons. Most blues fans think he's better than EJ is NOW, let alone in 2 years.
Has he really been bad? To be honest I've only watched 1 Avs game this season.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:15 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Johnson has been a stalwart of U.S. international teams for years and was tremendous at the 2010 Olympics. Yeah, he's up and down for the Avs, but IMO his future is very bright. He'll be there in 2014.
Yeah, he's gonna be there. Don't worry, Avs fan.

Old
12-20-2011, 01:01 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
Has he really been bad? To be honest I've only watched 1 Avs game this season.
He;s had amazingly awful games, and he's had some beast games (mainly his last 5 or so), and there has been plenty of talk for 2 seasons now about how he's a bust.

I don't personally believe he's as bad as the general opinion seems to have him on these boards.

Old
12-20-2011, 01:16 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
He;s had amazingly awful games, and he's had some beast games (mainly his last 5 or so), and there has been plenty of talk for 2 seasons now about how he's a bust.

I don't personally believe he's as bad as the general opinion seems to have him on these boards.

But he is certainly not what you would hope for out of a #1 overall.

Old
12-20-2011, 01:18 PM
crashnburnluder

No love for Jimmy Howard?

Old
12-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
But he is certainly not what you would hope for out of a #1 overall.

Just an aside, but can I ask what your agenda is? You keep popping up in threads devoted to USA Hockey and making underhanded comments about the program and individual players.

Old
12-20-2011, 02:44 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburnluder View Post
No love for Jimmy Howard?
IMO, it's a wasted spot if he goes as a backup (since he'll be old enough that he won't have many more chance to rep USA Hockey in the future) I think Burke said something like that when they picked Quick over Craig Anderson for 2010. Age is factor in who goes.

If Howard isnt starter, he's not going. He doesn't have an exceptional history that would make me put him on the team regardless of age (like Thomas).

Howard isn't better than Miller or Quick, and I see no point to bring him as 3rd goalie. I'd rather give the spot to a younger guy like Schneider who has a better chance to carry that experience to a future Olympic tournament (2018 or 2022).

Old
12-20-2011, 02:52 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Just an aside, but can I ask what your agenda is? You keep popping up in threads devoted to USA Hockey and making underhanded comments about the program and individual players.
Yikes. I didn't think I did. Someone else was saying what a disappointment he was and I was saying he was not what someone would expect as a #1 pic. I thought it was a pretty honest statement.

Last edited by KevyD: 12-20-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old
12-20-2011, 02:53 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
You keep popping up in threads devoted to USA Hockey and making underhanded comments about the program and individual players.

I pop up in all the threads...

Old
12-20-2011, 02:59 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
I also saw that you made this comment:

Well, like Kozun Oleksiak will have to settle for something other than Gold....

in the Canadian Junior thread.

What is your agenda???

Last edited by KevyD: 12-20-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old
02-05-2012, 12:50 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
IMO, it's a wasted spot if he goes as a backup (since he'll be old enough that he won't have many more chance to rep USA Hockey in the future) I think Burke said something like that when they picked Quick over Craig Anderson for 2010. Age is factor in who goes.

If Howard isnt starter, he's not going. He doesn't have an exceptional history that would make me put him on the team regardless of age (like Thomas).

Howard isn't better than Miller or Quick, and I see no point to bring him as 3rd goalie. I'd rather give the spot to a younger guy like Schneider who has a better chance to carry that experience to a future Olympic tournament (2018 or 2022).
I disagree, I think you take the top 3 goaltenders. Sure, maybe Howard doesn't play, its not like you get experience sitting on the bench anyways. It would be crazy to suggest Quick got any Olympic experience in 2010 when he didn't play a single minute. Is just being on the team in that environment really that important?

Plus, not like Miller had Olympic experience entering 2010 (with DiPietro, Grahame, and Esche going in 2006). And we saw how that worked out.

Right now, it's Miller, Quick, and Howard (certainly not in that order, but based on whoever is playing best entering the games). Campbell, Schneider, etc. have outside chances IMO.

Old
02-05-2012, 05:47 PM
RealHartTrophy01*

Craig Anderson will be the 3rd Goalie in 2014

Old
02-08-2012, 11:24 AM
RyK15*

Looking at the league right now, this is what I've come up with for our team in 2014.

Forwards

Locks - Kesler, Kessel, Kane, Parise, Pavelski, Brown, Backes, Callahan, Ryan

Probables - Stastny, Oshie

Possibilities - Van Riemsdyk, Wilson, Dubinsky, Malone, Booth, Okposo, Stepan, Pominville, Malone

Defense

Locks - Suter, Yandle

Probables - J. Johnson, E. Johnson, Shattenkirk

Possibilities - Gleason, Martin, Orpik, Carle, Whitney, Goligoski, Byfuglien, Carlson, Fowler, Bogosian

There are 5 goalies that are worthy and only 3 will make it: Miller, Thomas, Howard, Quick, Schneider. Take your pick, I lean towards the exact same as 2010, with Quick potentially your starter.

If I were to make lines out of this, it'd look like this:

Kane - Kesler - Parise
Ryan - Stastny - Kessel
Brown - Pavelski - ????? (player who can play D and is opportunistic)
Oshie - Backes - Callahan
?????, ?????

Suter - Yandle
E. Johnson - Shattenkirk
J. Johnson - ????? (A shutdown guy to compliment Johnson)
?????

Quick
Miller
Thomas

The 2 "scoring lines" are as solid as anybody in the world save Canada. The fourth line is probably the grittiest and most energetic in the world and the defense is solid with a good combination of offensive potential and shut down capability. I THINK, that if properly built, the USA team could take home the gold and upset teams like Canada and Sweden.

Captain - David Backes
Assistants - Callahan, Suter, Parise, J. Johnson

Last edited by RyK15*: 02-08-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old
02-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Thesensation19

I hope Burke is managing the team again. He really put together the correct team with his hockey methodology. He and we all should understand we do not have the skill other elite teams do. So we have to create a versatile team, top 6 skilled-bottom 6 strong defensive and grinders. The d-men have to be well rounded... I think Komisarek and Martin getting hurt in 2010 Olympics really hurt us in the Gold medal game.

I do not want Cam Fowler on the team. Ive been watching him on the Ducks. Good vision and good skater, but his defense still has work to do. Bring up stats or make an argument, but i really blame Ducks struggles this year on their defense and its somewhat Fowler. Not any more blame on him than the other 5 but its just the way he plays. He attempts to block shots, but he looks like hes afraid of the shot. So its either you block or move out of the way. And I want my USA d-men to block shots... and do it well. I also think as good as he was last year, like Del Zotto... his defense incapabilities are starting to show.

These r the twelve D I am interested in for 2014

Komisarek-McDonagh
Matt Carle- Brooks Orpik
Paul Martin- Tim Gleason
John Carlson- Dustin Byfuglien
Ryan Suter- Erik Johnson
Ryan Whitney- Kevin Shattenkirk
Keith Yandle- Jack Johnson

top 6 in my opinion for this team.
1) Ryan Suter
2) Brooks Orpik
3) Paul Martin
4) Matt Carle
5) Erik Johnson
6) Jack Johnson

7) Keith Yandle
8) John Carlson
9) Dustin Byfuglien

are reserves
-- no order really.

8)

Old
02-09-2012, 06:30 PM
RyK15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
I hope Burke is managing the team again. He really put together the correct team with his hockey methodology. He and we all should understand we do not have the skill other elite teams do. So we have to create a versatile team, top 6 skilled-bottom 6 strong defensive and grinders. The d-men have to be well rounded... I think Komisarek and Martin getting hurt in 2010 Olympics really hurt us in the Gold medal game.

I do not want Cam Fowler on the team. Ive been watching him on the Ducks. Good vision and good skater, but his defense still has work to do. Bring up stats or make an argument, but i really blame Ducks struggles this year on their defense and its somewhat Fowler. Not any more blame on him than the other 5 but its just the way he plays. He attempts to block shots, but he looks like hes afraid of the shot. So its either you block or move out of the way. And I want my USA d-men to block shots... and do it well. I also think as good as he was last year, like Del Zotto... his defense incapabilities are starting to show.

These r the twelve D I am interested in for 2014

Komisarek-McDonagh
Matt Carle- Brooks Orpik
Paul Martin- Tim Gleason
John Carlson- Dustin Byfuglien
Ryan Suter- Erik Johnson
Ryan Whitney- Kevin Shattenkirk
Keith Yandle- Jack Johnson

top 6 in my opinion for this team.
1) Ryan Suter
2) Brooks Orpik
3) Paul Martin
4) Matt Carle
5) Erik Johnson
6) Jack Johnson

7) Keith Yandle
8) John Carlson
9) Dustin Byfuglien

are reserves
-- no order really.

8)
Dude. I'm a Flyers fan telling you that Shattenkirk is twice as good as Carle defensively. How do you leave Shatty off in favor of Matt "turnover in the Flyer zone" Carle? And I think you gotta take Yandle for the O. I like to match up an offensive D with a shutdown D. That's what they did in 2010 and it worked. I think Suter - Yandle will be phenomenal as a top pairing. I agree however with your points on Del Z and Fowler, but I still think we need to consider everybody. I want that gold.

Old
02-10-2012, 05:13 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
I disagree, I think you take the top 3 goaltenders. Sure, maybe Howard doesn't play, its not like you get experience sitting on the bench anyways. It would be crazy to suggest Quick got any Olympic experience in 2010 when he didn't play a single minute. Is just being on the team in that environment really that important?

Plus, not like Miller had Olympic experience entering 2010 (with DiPietro, Grahame, and Esche going in 2006). And we saw how that worked out.

Right now, it's Miller, Quick, and Howard (certainly not in that order, but based on whoever is playing best entering the games). Campbell, Schneider, etc. have outside chances IMO.
It was different, because Miller went as starter. I understand your reasoning, but I think they'll go with a younger guy there. They obviously think the international experience is valuable - since they brought Jack Campbell, Kreider overseas for the World Championships. I bet they'll remember Quick's "experience" when they're picking the 2014 team.

Old
02-10-2012, 05:23 PM
therealdeal

I've noticed most people haven't had Fowler on their team, is there any reason for this? I kinda thought this guy was gonna be a USA staple for the future.

Old
02-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Thesensation19

I think what USA has to do, is replace the players leaving or look to be leaving from 2010 team.

Goalie-
Ryan Miller
Jonathan Quick
Jimmy Howard

Best 3 American goalies in the league.

Defense
Ryan Suter- Jack Johnson
Paul Martin- Brooks Orpik
Erik Johnson- Dustin Byfuglien

Orpik is getting older but I think hell still be an asset. Hes great 1 on 1, big body... I actually have more faith in Brooks than Dustin

Forwards
Patrick Kane- Ryan Kesler- Zach Parise
Bobby Ryan- Paul Statsny- Phil Kessel

David Backes-Joe Pavelski- Jason Pominville
Dustin Brown - Derek Stepan- Ryan Callahan

We cant put our best or most talented players on the ice and expect to match up to Canada or Russia or even Sweden and Finland now. We have to add character... Like Burke said, we have to add role players. The top 6 are skilled forwards... our most skilled and talented with speed and vision and all the above.

The Bottom 6 has to play roles. They have be ready to play their game, grind it out and get it deep and make sure they regret stepping on the ice.

Derek Stepan is a strong smart center who constantly is growing. I think JVR is on the list of who to watch, but not yet. So I replace Stepan with Drury cuz I think they played similar roles, leaders with good FO % and the chemistry with Cally.

I wouldnt be shocked to see Malone make the team again, even at what 35 36? Remember the bottom 6 needs to play a role. And Malone did a very good job at last olympics. Tough guy, brute force crashing the net. Pominville is younger but idk...

If Orpik doesnt make it... Shattenkirk.. McDonagh are both strong players

Old
02-11-2012, 03:15 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
I've noticed most people haven't had Fowler on their team, is there any reason for this? I kinda thought this guy was gonna be a USA staple for the future.
Re-read the thread. More people (including myself) had him on the team in the earlier posts, but as you can see - HF is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately type of place. People are ignoring him because of how poorly the Ducks season went in the first half. I think he'll be there. Fowler's gonna be a stud. I'll be shocked if he busts.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:36 PM
sharks9

No love for Pacioretty? 2nd in goals and 5th in points for American-born players this year.

Old
02-16-2012, 04:54 PM
capebretoncanadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
No love for Pacioretty? 2nd in goals and 5th in points for American-born players this year.
I'm guessing he'll be a lock by the time the Olympics roll around.

Old
02-19-2012, 07:47 AM
Cruxial

Add Ryan McDonagh to U.S.A.

Old
02-25-2012, 03:19 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
He's just really young. The USA defense will be the hardest to predict because most of the d-men in contention are going to be young. Outside of the absolute lock of Ryan Suter (Top 5 d-man in the league, easily) they could go a number of ways on all the other spots. There won't be much, if any, true vets - 30+ - in play outside of probably Brooks Orpik and Paul Martin. So much can change in 2 years of time when some of these guys are going to fall out of contention completely and others are going to rise. Remember when guys like Keith Ballard and Jordan Leopold were showing bright futures as youngsters and seemed to be clear staples of Team USA going forward? Lots can change and for lots of reasons. For a more recent example, look at Zach Bogosian. Two years ago everyone was penciling him in on future teams before he'd done anything and after last year he was a complete afterthought. He's turned his game around this year, has looked great in the games I've seen, and continues to improve leaps and bounds. If he keeps it up, he'll be in heavy contention.

02-25-2012, 03:38 PM
William H Bonney

Updated Team USA Roster

Forwards (x13):

Zach Parise (C) - Paul Stastny - Phil Kessel
Patrick Kane - Ryan Kesler - Bobby Ryan
Max Pacioretty - Joe Pavelski - David Backes (A)
T.J. Oshie - Derek Stepan - Ryan Callahan (A)
Dustin Brown

Defense (x7):

Ryan Suter (A) - John Carlson
Ryan McDonagh - Keith Yandle
Brooks Orpik - Zach Bogosian
Jack Johnson

Goalies (x3):

Ryan Miller
Jonathan Quick
Tim Thomas or Cory Scneider or Jimmy Howard

I think the one player that hasn't gotten nearly enough credit in the threads I've seen, outside of NYR fans, is Ryan McDonagh. He reminds me a ton of a younger Ryan Suter. I don't think he has the overall offensive skill of Suter but he has enough to put up points and the more comfortable he gets, I think his point totals will rise. If the team were put together now, I don't see how you keep him off of it. He's just an all around rock on the ice. If he keeps developing as he has, he'll be anchoring one of our top two pairs, along with Suter, heading into the future. Hope more start to take notice.

Lots of other guys in contention. Lots of time left for guys to play themselves in or out of contention and certainly they will.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 02-25-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Closed Thread