HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Malcolm Glazer & Man. United

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Terrier

vCash: 500
OT: Malcolm Glazer & Man. United

As a follower of British soccer as well as hockey, I was just wondering what Tampa folks on this board thought of Malcolm Glazer's hot pursuit of Manchester United. Man U, to my knowledge, is a debt-free club, contrary to some of the financial chaos that has engulfed many other soccer clubs like Leeds United.

Man U fans up in arms:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...td/4541093.stm

Old
05-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Sotnos

I don't care about soccer one way or the other, and what Glazer does in his spare time is his own business. Whatever new toys he acquires likely wouldn't affect us, not that he's the most trusted or loved man around Tampa, exactly.

What I don't get after hearing bits and pieces of the community's reactions for a few months is...what is up with the utter hatred of these people?!? Death threats because someone wants to own your team? Is it because he's American or what? Seems way over the top to me.

Latest news I see is that Glazer was successful. Hope he ups his security detail.

Old
05-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

I don't really care, The Bucs like most NFL teams are up against the cap anyway so it wont hurt free agent signings. Like Sontos I don't see why people are up in arms over there. Im much more concerned with the Glazers replacing One Buc Place than what Malcom buys his son.

Old
05-12-2005, 01:41 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
... I don't see why people are up in arms over there. ...
Much of the fans' ire stems from the fact that football (soccer) in general and Man U. in particular are English traditions for which a foreign businessman like Malcolm Glazer has no appreciation. He's clearly only interested in this deal for financial reasons. There is great concern among Man U. fans that Glazer will significantly increase their already exhorbitant ticket prices in an effort to raise income for a new stadium, which would replace their revered pitch at legendary Old Trafford, and the construction of which might also threaten to sink Man U. into considerable debt (resulting in tickets that are still more expensive).

As hockey fans, we should be able to relate -- at least somewhat. Ours is a sport steeped in tradition and we've certainly cried foul often enough when businessmen (as opposed to hockey guys) have been calling the shots for our favorite team. Many of us, also, have been priced out of the arena. Back when they still played games there, anyway.

Any thoughts, Hoek? I know you follow soccer.

Old
05-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminus
As hockey fans, we should be able to relate -- at least somewhat. Ours is a sport steeped in tradition and we've certainly cried foul often enough when businessmen (as opposed to hockey guys) have been calling the shots for our favorite team.
Yes, but have we publically issued death threats to owners (or their lawyers, or whatever it was) over these issues? Held protests? I guess we are used to the thought that sports is a business. Sure it sucks, but such is life.

Old
05-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Hoek

I'd say you summed up the fans concerns nicely. It should be noted that English football fans chant "death threats" against all sorts of enemies without any real meaning behind it (unless they are one of the few true hooligans out there).

Personally, I kind of despise Manchester United (Blackburn Rovers fan myself). They can be likened to the Yankees with their big spending and were even more excessively dominant than the Yanks in the past decade. Seeing Man U fans (specifically the bandwagon ones, I feel great empathy for the true ones) squirm over this kind of brings a smirk to my face, though I really think it is bad for the sport as a whole considering all the tradition that's being undone. No doubt if successful Glazer will be pushing for a new "Super League" that has been floated about lately, which will be composed of all the elite teams from each major soccer country in Europe in hopes attracting even more television and gate revenue. This would likely destroy the open competitive environment where a smaller market team like the Lightning could not only rise to win their own domestic league (i.e. FA Premiership), but also theoretically become continental (UEFA Cup) and world champions (World Club Cup) in their own right. Still, there is a lot of money that maybe isn't being tapped the way it could be. While soccer is already huge business, they really haven't capitalized on its nearly ubiquitous popularity the way the NFL has here in America with all its gaudy profit making mechanisms. Again the Glazers would love to explore that and what better way than to take over the world's most popular club level soccer team? I hope if they succeed they bring the Red Devils over to Raymond James for some exhibition matches. That would be a nice byproduct of this whole mess.

Last edited by Hoek: 05-12-2005 at 03:30 PM.
Old
05-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek
I'd say you summed up the fans concerns nicely. It should be noted that English football fans chant "death threats" against all sorts of enemies without any real meaning behind it (unless they are one of the few true hooligans out there).

Personally, I kind of despise Manchester United (Blackburn Rovers fan myself). They can be likened to the Yankees with their big spending and were even more excessively dominant than the Yanks in the past decade. Seeing Man U fans (specifically the bandwagon ones, I feel great empathy for the true ones) squirm over this kind of brings a smirk to my face, though I really think it is bad for the sport as a whole considering all the tradition that's being undone. No doubt if successful Glazer will be pushing for a new "Super League" that has been floated about lately, which will be composed of all the elite teams from each major soccer country in Europe in hopes attracting even more television and gate revenue. This would likely destroy the open competitive environment where a smaller market team like the Lightning could not only rise to win their own domestic league (i.e. FA Premiership), but also theoretically become continental (UEFA Cup) and world champions (World Club Cup) in their own right. Still, there is a lot of money that maybe isn't being tapped the way it could be. While soccer is already huge business, they really haven't capitalized on its nearly ubiquitous popularity the way the NFL has here in America with all its gaudy profit making mechanisms. Again the Glazers would love to explore that and what better way than to take over the world's most popular club level soccer team? I hope if they succeed they bring the Red Devils over to Raymond James for some exhibition matches. That would be a nice byproduct of this whole mess.

I have to say that during its championship season in 1995(I watched the last day in a Boston pub. Quite an ending.), the English press was refering to Blackburn as Blankcheque Rovers. Man U, naturally, was dubbed Merchandise United.

By the way, here are pictures of protests around Old Trafford, including the burning of Glazer in effigy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...es/4542487.stm

Old
05-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4...019_effigy.jpg

Thats the creepiest thing I've ever seen.

Just be happy its Glazer buying Man U and not the other Bucs owner Hugh Culverhouse rising from the grave to purchace the Red Devils.

Old
05-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek
It should be noted that English football fans chant "death threats" against all sorts of enemies without any real meaning behind it (unless they are one of the few true hooligans out there).
That's not at all what I'm talking about. One of Glazer's lawyers or contacts or reps over there received calls threatening his life if he continued working for Glazer. Guess I'm going to have to dig up the story, this was at least a month or two ago.

Old
05-14-2005, 07:51 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

It appears Buccaneer employees have received threats in emails now.

I wonder how long it is till Raymond James Financial employees receive threats from people thinking the Bucs and RJF are connected.

Old
05-16-2005, 12:31 AM
Hoek

Martin Fennelly with some comedy gold..

Quote:
Cut to Man United coach Jon Gruden's first soccer camp.

``Diego Maradona has had some problems. He just made a mistake. But he's a playuh. I stay up nights thinking of ways to get Diego Maradona open.''

Closed Thread