HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

TSN - Dreger expects Leafs to trade for a Top 6

Old
11-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Actually they could have signed him and kept them.....They didnt add other players until after the fact.

Do your homework.
Flyers trade Carter & Richards in 'tough' decision

Quote:
As soon as they were dealt, the Flyers, who began the week with less than $450,000 in cap space, then had $13 million in space and signed goalie Ilya Bryzgalov to a nine-year, $51 million contract.

Just like that, the Flyers have $7.5 million in space, according to CapGeek.com, for next year’s $64.3 million salary cap, which was also announced on Thursday. This should make re-signing Ville Leino a bit easier now.

Holmgren admitted he had to move significant salary to sign Bryzgalov.
http://www.csnphilly.com/06/23/11/Fl...006&feedID=704

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:44 PM
McArthur

after looking at the leaf cap situation.... all i can say is good luck! your best players come with the best contracts and your band aids and plugs get paid way too much. connolly, komisarek, armstrong, liles, finger and lombardi aren't going anywhere. i want franson, but with your cap its not easy. that means taking on a dump so a pick could be traded too.

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Mr Lahey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
after looking at the leaf cap situation.... all i can say is good luck! your best players come with the best contracts and your band aids and plugs get paid way too much. connolly, komisarek, armstrong, liles, finger and lombardi aren't going anywhere. i want franson, but with your cap its not easy. that means taking on a dump so a pick could be traded too.
If we moved Franson, we'd have 2 million in space.

I dont think we'd be willing to take on a salary dump for him, but rather a player in a similar situation.

If we were trading for a big name player, we'd have to give up a good player too and that means shedding salary as well. Cap isn't too big of a problem here unless Burke wants to add a big cap hit.

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Lex Lupul

Quote:
Finger's already in the minors and the Leafs basically have unlimited ability to put players in the AHL if they need salary relief. Furthermore, Armstrong is out long term, and a trade would likely be later in the season when most of their salary is paid off anyways.

Honestly, most teams are pretty near the cap, why is this brought up every single thread?

Lex Lupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:55 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Lupul View Post
Honestly, most teams are pretty near the cap, why is this brought up every single thread?
Because it still does effect the nature of trades or whether or not they can happen in a given circumstance. With two teams near the cap ceiling looking to trade with one another it gets even more questionable in terms of cap value vs talent value.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:59 PM
McArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Franson + for MPS
the only reason i would consider it is cause i really believe musil and franson would pair up nicely with time. how about omark and a 2nd pick, you don't have alot of cap space and this leaves the door open closer to the deadline.....

Old
11-01-2011, 03:59 PM
King Kovalchuk

Henrik Zetterberg to the Leafs (E4)

King Kovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wingman View Post
I'll drive Hudler to the airport. Hell...I'll drive him to the ACC, it's not too far from Detroit and it will give the opportunity to chew him out on the way. I just hope the bag of pucks that we get in return will fit in my VW.
Just make sure to get a receipt from MLSE on this transaction.

Doug Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:05 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

its gotta be kulemin that goes

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:09 PM
McArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Franson + for MPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleSmedsmosStache View Post
If we moved Franson, we'd have 2 million in space.

I dont think we'd be willing to take on a salary dump for him, but rather a player in a similar situation.

If we were trading for a big name player, we'd have to give up a good player too and that means shedding salary as well. Cap isn't too big of a problem here unless Burke wants to add a big cap hit.
im confused, if you moved franson, how would you have 2 mill? by trading franson for nothing? and the salary dump would be from your team to somewhere which means compensation would likely be added with the dump. to say that any player can be sent to the minors is to say that any player can be picked up at half price, thats how waivers work.

Old
11-01-2011, 04:10 PM
CaptainGiggles
Summer Can Distract

Gonchar

CaptainGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul View Post
This is bs. We don't need an upgrade at this point. The top two lines have chemistry and are producing. We need an upgrade on the 3rd line.
Did I miss something somewhere? Last I checked, the 3rd line was pretty solid with Lombardi/Bozak/Army. I personally think we need someone else than Tim "The Tin Man" Connolly at #1C, but let's wait and see what happens and give this line sometime.

Doug Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:19 PM
416Leafer

The Leafs after a top 6 forward? This hasn't been beaten to death already? Dreger's a very respected insider reporter, but he didn't reveal much at all here. The Leafs will likely try to add a top 6 forward? You could look at the roster and determine that. He didn't at all indicate potential trading partners or targeted players.

As for people speculating on here. If it's going to be a true upgrade, than it needs to be a pretty solid player. There's no point in them trading for a 60 point guy since all the top 6 can likely hit that number and in some cases exceed it (except Connolly, i expect him to be injured too often).

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:20 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

I heard Dreger say this on air and while the TSN guys went crazy thinking they are going to trade for a true star player, I couldn't help but think that there is a very good possibility Burke, Nonis and company are thinking about a less expensive but very serviceable top 6 forward. An example could be a guy like Vinny Prospal. He is still a good player, and I think it's reasonable to assume Columbus stays out of the playoff mix. He can easily be a 20-30 goal guy and could probably be gotten as a rental for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I suspect there are a number of those kind of guys around. Wasn't last year's Lupul deal a good example of this? Burke sent Beauchemin to Anaheim and got a top 6 player, a good prospect in Gardiner and IIRC a pick too? Lupul isn't seen as having major trade value, but he IS a top 6 player.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I heard Dreger say this on air and while the TSN guys went crazy thinking they are going to trade for a true star player, I couldn't help but think that there is a very good possibility Burke, Nonis and company are thinking about a less expensive but very serviceable top 6 forward. An example could be a guy like Vinny Prospal. He is still a good player, and I think it's reasonable to assume Columbus stays out of the playoff mix. He can easily be a 20-30 goal guy and could probably be gotten as a rental for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I suspect there are a number of those kind of guys around. Wasn't last year's Lupul deal a good example of this? Burke sent Beauchemin to Anaheim and got a top 6 player, a good prospect in Gardiner and IIRC a pick too? Lupul isn't seen as having major trade value, but he IS a top 6 player.
would Colombus be interested in Komisarek ?

or maybe Lombardi?

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:25 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
would Colombus be interested in Komisarek ?

or maybe Lombardi?
Columbus is at the cap, if they start selling it will be for picks and prospects certainly not Komisarek.

Old
11-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Bergeron for

2012 1st
2012 2nd
2013 1st

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
If true it would have to be a legitimate 1st-liner. We've got enough second liners as it is. Probably won't happen until December at the earliest if it does, when teams have a good picture of how they stand.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:49 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

I know its not the greatest fit, but I would love to get Krejci if Boston is looking to move him and the price isn't ridiculous

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Tarpit*

Quote:
the only reason i would consider it is cause i really believe musil and franson would pair up nicely with time. how about omark and a 2nd pick, you don't have alot of cap space and this leaves the door open closer to the deadline.....
Franson at best is worth a 3rd, no more. If he was playing I could see more, just like Omark, they both need to be playing to get their actual value.

Tarpit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:05 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpit View Post
Franson at best is worth a 3rd, no more. If he was playing I could see more, just like Omark, they both need to be playing to get their actual value.
hve the Kaberle and beauchmin deals taught you nothing? people said Beauchmin wouldn't return more then a 2nd, same with Kaberle how did those predictions work out?

Now Franson is worth no more then a 3rd?

People just never learn

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpit View Post
Franson has proven himself at the NHL level, Omark hasn't

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:14 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
hve the Kaberle and beauchmin deals taught you nothing? people said Beauchmin wouldn't return more then a 2nd, same with Kaberle how did those predictions work out?

Now Franson is worth no more then a 3rd?

People just never learn
Frankly, there must be something going on with the Burke deals. The Phaneuf deal, the Lupul/Gardiner deal, both Versteeg deals and the Franson/Lombardi deals were just highway robbery. He may have to do all his deals with Anaheim since Sutter is gone from Calgary.

I know Columbus has stopped talking with him since the attempted Antropov deal. Burke wanted more for Antropov than Howson eventually gave up to Ottawa for Vermette.

Old
11-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
In the words of Yoda:

One top six winger, does not a playoff team make.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:18 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post

Trading for any more "serviceable" forwards would be poor asset management for the Leafs.

They have good forward depth now, there is little need to clog things up further by bringing in Prospal.