HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If you were Penguins GM...

Old
11-02-2011, 11:14 AM
WVP

vCash: 500
Malkin will have plenty of time to show whether he deserves a raise, the same, or less on his next deal - this season plus two more.

He signed his 8.7M cap hit deal after 106 and 113 point seasons which included Hart runner ups, a Conn Smythe and an Art Ross. Since then? An 85 point pace, for one reason or another. Lots of 6 and 7M cap hits in the 80-89 point range over the past few years. Heck, only 4 guys have a cap hit of 8 or more.

Contracts need to be earned and if he's not healthy and producing 35 goals and 90+ points it will be hard to pay him the same or more. The tricky thing will be the fact that he has a NMC in his last year, so if GMRS feels he will need to take a cut and that there could be an issue getting him to sign we might be out of luck.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:15 AM
SkullSplitter

Yeah I'd try to re-sign them all. I think they're all pretty close to what they'll be making on their next contracts anyways, but we'll have to see what happens with the CBA expiring.

If I had to drop one, it'd be Staal.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:18 AM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
One more question/consideration: I believe that new deals for Sid, Staal, and Flower, which can be signed this offseason, a year before their deals expire, will be governed by the existing CBA.

Could anyone else see Shero trying a really long term deal with Staal with a 5.5M (give or take) cap hit, maybe something like a front loaded 17 year, 90-95M deal (a deal that takes him to age 41).

Those type of deals likely will be gone under the next CBA, when the window to extend Geno and Tanger opens.
Fleury's deal expires last. He's up in 2015.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:18 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I just don't see Shero doing the long term deal. 7 year deal is the longest I see him going. But who knows. Maybe Lemieux pressures him to do it for Sid and Geno.
Yeah, Shero never struck me as a guy who would do a double digit year deal.

I think 9 is the longest he would go for any player. 7 is probably ideal.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:21 AM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Yeah, Shero never struck me as a guy who would do a double digit year deal.

I think 9 is the longest he would go for any player. 7 is probably ideal.
Yeah it's not unprecedented for him to give out a 7 year deal since he did it with Fleury.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Malkin will have plenty of time to show whether he deserves a raise, the same, or less on his next deal - this season plus two more.

He signed his 8.7M cap hit deal after 106 and 113 point seasons which included Hart runner ups, a Conn Smythe and an Art Ross. Since then? An 85 point pace, for one reason or another. Lots of 6 and 7M cap hits in the 80-89 point range over the past few years. Heck, only 4 guys have a cap hit of 8 or more.

Contracts need to be earned and if he's not healthy and producing 35 goals and 90+ points it will be hard to pay him the same or more. The tricky thing will be the fact that he has a NMC in his last year, so if GMRS feels he will need to take a cut and that there could be an issue getting him to sign we might be out of luck.
Yeah, I'm with you on this one. And yes, while there is plenty of time for Geno to prove he belongs in the same tax bracket, if I were GM right now I would be anticipating putting a "Crosby cap" in place going forward. Nobody should make more than Sid on this team (or in the league, but that's not our problem).

Next July 1, start talking to Sid's people about a new contract. Everything else can fall into place after that. I love Geno but the knee is an issue. Of course, I might be saying the same thing about Sid after he returns, but I suspect with him it's not going to affect his game. Sid's injury is one of those "he's one hit away from retirement", but it's not debilitating. Geno's is debilitating, so that is a concern for me.

Bottom line, yes I'd gunning to have them all in the fold ad infinitum.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
One more question/consideration: I believe that new deals for Sid, Staal, and Flower, which can be signed this offseason, a year before their deals expire, will be governed by the existing CBA.

Could anyone else see Shero trying a really long term deal with Staal with a 5.5M (give or take) cap hit, maybe something like a front loaded 17 year, 90-95M deal (a deal that takes him to age 41).
Those type of deals likely will be gone under the next CBA, when the window to extend Geno and Tanger opens.
The only player I see Shero doing that is Crosby. Now if he did that with Staal, I sure hope it's for a hell of a lot less than a 5.5 M cap hit, then I want something around 4. Otherwise there is no point in giving him such a long contract.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 01:02 PM
JTG

I'll be shocked to see anyone other than Sid getting a double digit term deal.

Old
11-03-2011, 03:35 PM
SEALBound

Agreed. I don't see Crosby or Malkin asking for huge raises either. 8.7 to 9.0 tops.

In no way, shape, or form is Staal worth $5.5mil. He wants that he can go else where.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:42 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Agreed. I don't see Crosby or Malkin asking for huge raises either. 8.7 to 9.0 tops.

In no way, shape, or form is Staal worth $5.5mil. He wants that he can go else where.
If Staal puts up a 60+ pt season and gets into the Selke conversation again, you can bet your *** he's going to get 5 million.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:47 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
I'd like to see their combined cap hit end up somehow less than the current 17.4M. Say Crosby goes up to 9.0 and Malkin drops to 8.0, for a savings of 0.4M. That'd be ideal (obviously).

I hope Malkin gets up to 90+ point production or he has monster playoff performances in the next 2.75 seasons so we can debate his raise but in my mind he's not getting one as of right now.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:59 PM
JTG

Yeah, if Geno stays at around a PPG clip from here on out, he should be in store for a decent decrease in salary if he wants to stay here.

That being said, he will be a UFA, and some team, regardless of what he does from here on out, will give him his current salary on a long term deal, IMO. He's a proven commodity, which counts for a lot.

Old
11-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

If I were the Penguins GM, the Pens would probably suck.

I would definitely not let Crosby or Malkin get away, though.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:48 AM

Great replies all around. I think it will definitely be interesting and I'm sure (or at least I would hope) that Shero already has a plan for how he is going to handle the "Gang of 4+2". I think it will be tough to not give Geno some kind of increase because whatever his numbers are, some GM will see him as being the sort of guy he can build a team around. And when signing a contract, it isn't just today's salaries that it is going to be compared with. I think anything less than a 300K raise to take him into the 9M category would be perceived as not caring if he stays or goes.

Then again, Shero knows best. I just hope both Crosby and Malkin like playing together enough that they will both leave some dollars on the table to avoid being split up. (Is there a fingers crossed emoticon?)

66871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:10 PM
RKJ

definently need to sign all 4 i would say

RKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:17 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Yeah, if Geno stays at around a PPG clip from here on out, he should be in store for a decent decrease in salary if he wants to stay here.

That being said, he will be a UFA, and some team, regardless of what he does from here on out, will give him his current salary on a long term deal, IMO. He's a proven commodity, which counts for a lot.
If Malkin makes it all the way to July 1st without being resigned, or traded that would be Shero's job. Malkin is not the kind you "let loose", but we all know that. If it comes down to it, then we let Malkin go via trade, and the return would be HUGE most likely....i'm sure there are many teams that would overpay for Malkin, unlike what HFBoards posters tell us (a bunch of scrubs and a good player).

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:33 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
If Malkin makes it all the way to July 1st without being resigned, or traded that would be Shero's job. Malkin is not the kind you "let loose", but we all know that. If it comes down to it, then we let Malkin go via trade, and the return would be HUGE most likely....i'm sure there are many teams that would overpay for Malkin, unlike what HFBoards posters tell us (a bunch of scrubs and a good player).
Well that's a slippery slope. Do you trade Geno or do you keep him because he gives you your best chance to win another Cup?

I personally keep him with the hope that something works out. Shero would still get a pretty penny for him before July 1, just not as much.

Old
11-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I think so long as he fits under the cap, you keep Malkin. Then you trade him on draft day if you can't come to terms.

Anyway, I would like to think before we ever get to the point where we cannot afford to have the five guys who make up the core of this team together (Fleury, Letang, Crosby, Malkin, Staal), we would entertain trade offers for Paul Martin first. Michalek second. Or Michalek first, then Martin (depending on how much we need to save, what their NTC situation is and what the offers for them are out there).

We have people who can step in on defense, but we don't have another Malkin.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

No way. If I'm Ray Shero I'm trading everyone to acquire an all-Staal, all-Stewart, all-Schenn, all-STAR team!! BROS BEFORE HOES!

Stewart - Sid - Stewart
Staal - Staal (extra winger not required)
Schenn - Schenn - Schenn (secret third brother)
Adams - Vitale - Vitale (same Vitale utilizing quantum mechanics - not having Adams would cause Bylsma to quit)

Letang - Staal
Staal - Orpik
(extra pairings not required)

Fleury

=

Instant Cup

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote