HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Zednik looking poor...

Closed Thread

Old
09-05-2004, 11:22 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Zednik looking poor...

I wasnt expecting great things from Zednik at this world cup but what he showed until now is pretty desapointing, cant even protect the puck well and win his one on one battles along the board like he used us to in the past... Zednik is unidimentionnal and I'm seriously wondering about his future with us...

He has limited skills and must play the game with fire to be effective, what he do less and less..

Im also amazed how poor Chara looks in this tournament... I knew he was sometime lazzy and nonchalent but not at this point! He obviously lacks quickness and tends to cheat at time staying in front of the net instead going after his man along the board..

With Martin and Bonk gone, I wouldnt be surprised to see the Sens having a very tough season, even worst than the last one.

It will be a walk in the park for team Canada in the 1/4 final.

Old
09-05-2004, 11:29 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Zednik hasn't played extremely well, maybe because of his food poisoning. To me, when I've seen him, he hasn't look horrible, just nothing special, but saying he is unidimensional and saying he has limited skills is horrible.

He's one of the best skaters in the league, strong on his skates, has a good defensive game, a good shot. He has almost everything covered. He's got good moves, he has heart, I don't know what you mean by lacking skills. One tournament shouldn't decide one of the best players on the teams' future.

About Chara, I might get responses for this, but I've never been impressed with him. He's a solid defenseman, but I don't think he'll be a Norris contender again. That's just me though.

Old
09-05-2004, 11:29 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Zednik stinks unless he's with Koivu.

Old
09-05-2004, 11:37 PM
HABitude

I'm agree with the food poisoning excuse.

... because I'm an eternal optimist when we talk about the CH.

Old
09-05-2004, 11:45 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave
Zednik stinks unless he's with Koivu.
He don't stinks. He played well last season, with Ribeiro.

He scored like 17 / 55 games with Ribeiro.
8/27 with Koivu...

Same ratio.

But we have to admit that Ribeiro can make anyone looks good, just like Koivu.

Zednik is alright. We just use him too much...He should play on the second line but he have good chemistry with Koivu so, for now, he play on the 1st.

We cannot have only superstars in our top 6.

Old
09-05-2004, 11:47 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji_ch
He's one of the best skaters in the league, strong on his skates, has a good defensive game, a good shot. .
I don't get that one. I could name 50 players who skates faster than him.

I'm not saying he don't skate well...I love his incredible balance.

But his top speed + acceleration is not good enough to be called ''one of the best skater in the league''.

And i don't agree when you say that he have a good defensive game. He's often the first guy who quit the defensive zone...

Old
09-05-2004, 11:50 PM
Ross MacLochness

Well he's not that great of a stickhandler and is a pretty bad passer to begin with, so he rarely looks good when he has the puck anywhere but the slot in the offensive zone. I know today I was too busy watching Kovalev and didn't focus on Zednik.

I highly doubt he is playing at 100%.

Old
09-05-2004, 11:56 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
I don't get that one. I could name 50 players who skates faster than him.

I'm not saying he don't skate well...I love his incredible balance.

But his top speed + acceleration is not good enough to be called ''one of the best skater in the league''.

And i don't agree when you say that he have a good defensive game. He's often the first guy who quit the defensive zone...
Well besides me, the hockey news has him as the Slovaks best skater, which would rank him ahead of Gaborik, Palffy, Hossa and Demitra. I don't agree that he is a better skater than Gaborik, but to be even considered among those players proves that he is a very good skater. I don't know about the others, but I haven't seen 50 skaters that are faster than Zednik.

His defensive game is fine. He's not exceptional, but he doesn't often get way out of position, and he has played on the penalty kill before as well.

Old
09-06-2004, 12:01 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
He don't stinks. He played well last season, with Ribeiro.

He scored like 17 / 55 games with Ribeiro.
8/27 with Koivu...

Same ratio.

But we have to admit that Ribeiro can make anyone looks good, just like Koivu.

Zednik is alright. We just use him too much...He should play on the second line but he have good chemistry with Koivu so, for now, he play on the 1st.

He might score well with Ribs, but he plays better overall with Koivu. I'll admit I don't like Ribs much after the stunt he pulled in the playoffs, but I agree he's a good passer and can help his linemates score. But besides good stickhandling, passing and shooting, he's a liability. He's slow, and he's weak. He ends up putting Zednik in situations he's not strong in. With Koivu, you see Zednik on the offensive more and he just fights harder for the puck.

Old
09-06-2004, 12:05 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji_ch
He's one of the best skaters in the league, strong on his skates, has a good defensive game, a good shot. He has almost everything covered. He's got good moves, he has heart, I don't know what you mean by lacking skills. One tournament shouldn't decide one of the best players on the teams' future.
I wouldn't call him one of the best skaters in the league, but rather one of the strongest skaters (there is a difference). He's very hard to move off the puck and his strides are so strong and he can fight his way through d-men.

Old
09-06-2004, 12:18 AM
NewHabsEra*

Zednik is a very good skater with alot of speed but his stickhandling skills as well as his playmaking skills are pretty average and is'nt very creative with the puck thats why I called him unidimentionnal player... Zednik is effective when he plays the game with a high level of fire and grit, what he does less and less...

Im pretty sure Zed will be third line material or simply gone in 2-3 years from now.

Old
09-06-2004, 12:37 AM
Zednik

He's injuried, give him a break !

Old
09-06-2004, 12:45 AM
Blackshad

Zednik suck so much how about we buy his contract?

Old
09-06-2004, 05:40 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Guys, take it easy on him. Number 1, this is an extremely high level of play, so I'll admit that no, Zednik is not as good as guys like Hossa, Kovalev, Kovalchuk, or Datsyuk (who hasn't been great either IMO), but Zeds hasn't been awful by any means. Number 2, not only did he just have food poisoning, he had hernia surgery in July! Hernias are very painful and I'm sure he's still somewhat bothered by that as well. So give him some time. He's still the Zednifier we all know and love.

Old
09-06-2004, 08:12 AM
Dynasty

The title for this thread is very appropriate, I think. For whatever reasons, and there may be some very valid ones, he has looked terrible. And by the way, the same could be said for Markov. So far Markov is easily the weakest player on the Russian team even though I'm extremely impressed with the team overall. If Markov gave this kind of effort in practice then I can fully undrestand why he was benched against the USA. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him benched for the next game.

Old
09-06-2004, 09:07 AM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty
The title for this thread is very appropriate, I think. For whatever reasons, and there may be some very valid ones, he has looked terrible. And by the way, the same could be said for Markov. So far Markov is easily the weakest player on the Russian team even though I'm extremely impressed with the team overall. If Markov gave this kind of effort in practice then I can fully undrestand why he was benched against the USA. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him benched for the next game.
he's probebly fighting an injury cause Markov isn't the kind of guy that doesn't try hard. He plays with heart.

Old
09-06-2004, 09:37 AM
mvp76

I read in the Montreal newspaper he didn't play vs the states because he had the flu. Take it for what it's worth.

Old
09-06-2004, 10:54 AM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob
he's probebly fighting an injury cause Markov isn't the kind of guy that doesn't try hard. He plays with heart.
Some posters will want to kill me but,

Markov is a little bit like Malakhov/Kovalev.

Sometimes he play incredibly well, and some other nights, he's an enigma. The only difference is that he play well for very long stretch, then play bad for many games.

With Kovalev/Malakhov, you never know what you gonna get the next game...

With Markov, you know when he's hot or cold.

Maybe he have a hard time adapting to fast players + inactivity. That's why he's cold. Give him so time, this tournament is so short.

Or maybe people are overfocusing on him. If you look the same player all the game, you'll see every mistakes, and that may not make him looking good.

Old
09-06-2004, 12:18 PM
ifesfor*

I will aways say it: Zednik is the perfect 2ND liner to any team.Hes on the first line because we got no betetr wingers to put with koivu.But as i said too....BRING SELANNE AND PUT SELANNE ON FIRST!!

Old
09-06-2004, 12:23 PM
ifesfor*

Quote:
Some posters will want to kill me but,

Markov is a little bit like Malakhov/Kovalev.

Sometimes he play incredibly well, and some other nights, he's an enigma. The only difference is that he play well for very long stretch, then play bad for many games.

With Kovalev/Malakhov, you never know what you gonna get the next game...

With Markov, you know when he's hot or cold.

Maybe he have a hard time adapting to fast players + inactivity. That's why he's cold. Give him so time, this tournament is so short.

Or maybe people are overfocusing on him. If you look the same player all the game, you'll see every mistakes, and that may not make him looking good.

Sorry but i dont like to bash on Markov just yet.You have to remember that he played last year with the death of is dad in mind.That can affect a player a lot.They got feelings and it might be the reason why he didnt played like 2 years ago.I just dont wanna slam Markov.Im really sure next year he will be great,our best d-men.

And you know..i think the same thing happen last year to Souray during the playoff.He probably broke up with his gfriend before the playoff and suddently play like crap haha

Old
09-06-2004, 01:30 PM
oli500

Its the world cup, I dont care how well they do. As long they show disire to play for the habs thats all that matters to me. and the fact that zednik signed a 3 year contract with the habs shows me that he likes the organization.

Old
09-06-2004, 01:35 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500
Its the world cup, I dont care how well they do. As long they show disire to play for the habs thats all that matters to me. and the fact that zednik signed a 3 year contract with the habs shows me that he likes the organization.
agree. But I would love to ee them play well like Koivu.

Old
09-06-2004, 06:30 PM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
In addition to the flu/food posioning, he's coming off hernia surgery. That said, hardly any of the Slovaks have looked particularly well since the tourney started.

Old
09-06-2004, 07:35 PM
Skylab

Quote:
Let me preface this by saying that I like Koivu. I think he is a greatly talented player, who has been hurt by injury/illness.
That said he is not a "superstar". From where I sit (as someone who neither loves nor hates the Habs), you have no superstars in your top 6. To suggest that Koivu or Ribeiro (in particular) are anywhere near this status is simply ludicrous.

Old
09-06-2004, 08:17 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab
Let me preface this by saying that I like Koivu. I think he is a greatly talented player, who has been hurt by injury/illness.
That said he is not a "superstar". From where I sit (as someone who neither loves nor hates the Habs), you have no superstars in your top 6. To suggest that Koivu or Ribeiro (in particular) are anywhere near this status is simply ludicrous.
Ribs is a superstar. Ever heard of the expression : ''Portugese Gretzky???''

Closed Thread