HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Omark to Barons - All Omark Discussion Here

Old
11-05-2011, 04:34 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
its rumored howsen offered a 3rd
Tracy lane is a very good source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
Let's make a trade for a team who need him (Florida, Carolina, Anaheim..) ang get something valuable in return.
I really hope so before we ends up with nothing!
I hoping for a goalie prospect (islanders has a bunch of them)

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Son of Krypton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
youtube or it didn't happen.
Well, I do this only because he is a YouTube sensation, after all...

Did Byers say "Linus Omark has played a stellar game at all ends of the rink"?
That makes no sense. How many ends are there, exactly?

Son of Krypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 06:04 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
Tracy lane is a very good source

I really hope so before we ends up with nothing!
I hoping for a goalie prospect (islanders has a bunch of them)
We have plenty of goalie prospects... And Dubnyk has done nothing but show he can be a #1. I'd rather more dmen for a shot at another top pairing guy.

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Arpeggio

Hopefully he can get his confidence back up in the A and then come back up and provide some offence. Inuries will happen, and he'll be called back up, so hopefully he's ready.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Krypton View Post

Beautiful play. Omark just owning there. Thought he should've been checked several times earlier but no contact and letting Omark play with the puck=danger.

You know I was kidding about youtube but I appreciate it anyway. Also your post before was excellent. Are you a writer?

We really don't disagree on as much as you might think. Sometimes I'm just playing around a bit.
Myself what people say doesn't really bother me as much. I just know that NHL hockey here is very "saying the right thing or nothing at all" and thus all the scripted responses you usually get here.

Omark is good for a laugh.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-05-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

Quote:

One, obviously...

Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:59 PM
vb

Omark with 3 assists tonight.

Is that 5 points in 2 games? Good for him

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:05 AM
Tommy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb View Post
Omark with 3 assists tonight.

Is that 5 points in 2 games? Good for him
He probably would of been our best forward tonite

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:12 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
He probably would of been our best forward tonite
Hall got dominated tonight. You're telling me omark would have handled Phoenixs physicality better than Hall?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:12 AM
RoboNerdOK

Omark gets 3 points, OKC has 5.6 earthquake... quite an eventful night in the AHL!

RoboNerdOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Krigaren*

The way i see it things are working out pretty good for Omark at this point. For one looking at Omarks situation to begin with its pretty bad. For one Renney is not a fan off Omark. Not saying he hate the guy but renney is a defense first coach and Omark is a offense first guy.

From an oilers point offcorse Omarks comments is bad. However Omark have to look out for himself. By saying this he makes the oilers know that he wont just sit idly by being burried in the ahl, wich concidering he has 4games left untill he have to clear waivers (wich he wouldnt go throw without being picked up) is quite a reality.
The oilers is going to think both once and twice before recalling him.
Thats without his comments tbh.

And 5 points in 2 games is pretty stellar for the ahl. Am sure any team that was intrested in him before isnt being less intressted now.

Wich kinda leaves oilers in a bad situation, either they recall him and that pretty much means he would have to get a regular spot. Or they leave him in the ahl risking loosing him to europe and quite frankly that would mean his value would not be that high at all.
Trading Omark to another team might get back and bite them in the ass later on.

Omark isnt a superstar by all means, however his offensive potential is very high. If Oilers got a 4th rounder for him and he ends up tearing it up. How would it feel?

Krigaren* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:30 AM
iCanada

Quote:

Yeah, he dominated down in the Heat zone, then come the next period he dominated in the Heat zone on the other end of the rink.

That seems like being stellar in all ends of the rink to me.

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Krigaren*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
Yeah, he dominated down in the Heat zone, then come the next period he dominated in the Heat zone on the other end of the rink.

That seems like being stellar in all ends of the rink to me.

One question, did you watch the game?

Old
11-06-2011, 12:43 AM
iCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
One question, did you watch the game?
No, but I guess I'm not allowed to tell a joke...

If he is backchecking in the minors, great. What I do know is that he doesn't generate shots in the NHL, and fails to backcheck with any vigor. It isn't even like he is in good defensive position, he just floats at the blueline and cheats up ice. Of the two games we lost with Omark in the lineup, kid was on ice for both GWG.

I mean, you can give the guy another chance, and I think we should. But right now we have a huge logjam at forward; We have a guy who not only is not scoring, but is letting all 20 guys wearing the sweater down in his own end. Why should we be dressing him over a guy like Gagner who has much better pedigree and in the very least has decent positioning in his own end, or Paajarvi who has better tools and well as the tendency to back check?

He needs to prove himself, you don't get free opportunities in the NHL. If you can't come in and show you belong then you don't stick. In the very least, Paajarvi can be a 3rd line Grinder, Sam Gagner has proven he can score 40-50 points in the NHL... What has Omark proved?

Old
11-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Hockey Nightmare
Welcome to Edmonton

If Omark would just shut up and play good hockey, he'd make life easier for himself and the Oilers. No one is "owed" anything in this league. If he'd been playing better, he'd be on that road trip right now. Through his public whining, it's almost like he's trying to hold a knife to the organization's throat. Yeah, that's a great way to prove your worth to the team.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Baronsfan

He played pretty good tonight. It wasn't only him, but Green and Keller both played well too. That line is showing some good chemistry. He had a pretty bad giveaway in front of his own net tonight maybe trying to be a little too cute, but it didn't come back to bite OKC thankfully. He's finding a lot of open guys right now, so I'm sure other teams know he's a "pass first" guy, so he'll have to start putting the puck on net more eventually. All in all from the two games he played well, and seemed to have a pretty good attitude so far, hope he can keep it up.

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:52 AM
Krigaren*

Quote:
No, but I guess I'm not allowed to tell a joke...

If he is backchecking in the minors, great. What I do know is that he doesn't generate shots in the NHL, and fails to backcheck with any vigor. It isn't even like he is in good defensive position, he just floats at the blueline and cheats up ice. Of the two games we lost with Omark in the lineup, kid was on ice for both GWG.

I mean, you can give the guy another chance, and I think we should. But right now we have a huge logjam at forward; We have a guy who not only is not scoring, but is letting all 20 guys wearing the sweater down in his own end. Why should we be dressing him over a guy like Gagner who has much better pedigree and in the very least has decent positioning in his own end, or Paajarvi who has better tools and well as the tendency to back check?

He needs to prove himself, you don't get free opportunities in the NHL. If you can't come in and show you belong then you don't stick. In the very least, Paajarvi can be a 3rd line Grinder, Sam Gagner has proven he can score 40-50 points in the NHL... What has Omark proved?
You sure are allowed to tell a joke, but hey thats not what it sounded like at all. I didnt see the game either thats why i asked. If someone says he is good defensivly and you say he wasnt i obviously wounder why.

Yep Gagner is a rock defensivly, dont turn over the puck at all and dont get caught out of possition ever, your right.
MPS got his first point today so we congratulate him on that and i can only speak for myself but i think thats huge.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Krigaren*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take the Shot View Post
If Omark would just shut up and play good hockey, he'd make life easier for himself and the Oilers. No one is "owed" anything in this league. If he'd been playing better, he'd be on that road trip right now. Through his public whining, it's almost like he's trying to hold a knife to the organization's throat. Yeah, that's a great way to prove your worth to the team.
When did Omark say he was owed something?
When did he ever whine about anything? I cant recall Omark making one comment that can be interprented as whine.

At another point he isnt looking out for the oilers, why would he?
He is looking out for himself, its politics aint it?

Old
11-06-2011, 01:04 AM
iCanada

Quote:
You sure are allowed to tell a joke, but hey thats not what it sounded like at all. I didnt see the game either thats why i asked. If someone says he is good defensivly and you say he wasnt i obviously wounder why.

Yep Gagner is a rock defensivly, dont turn over the puck at all and dont get caught out of possition ever, your right.
MPS got his first point today so we congratulate him on that and i can only speak for myself but i think thats huge.
I even used the sarcasm smiley face... yeesh, do I need to add a spoiler to explain things?

And you took what I said backwards. Sure Gagner isn't great in his own end... Sure Paajarvi isn't lighting the world on fire offensively. But you know what? Gagner has proven in four consecutive seasons he can score 40-50 points. Paajarvi has proven this year that he is going defensively.

What has Omark proven? That he can score 20 points over 60 games with 20+ gravy minutes a game? That isn't committed to supporting his team through half of the ice surface? That he was unable to put points on the board in 5 games?

Even with Gagner being mediocre at best this season he is a +1 and has two points. Omark has goose eggs and a -2.

You know what, I get it. You like Omark, you're and Omark fanboy, you think his sister is hot or whatever. If I am dressing the supposed "***** that can score" (to liberate the term from Ken Hitchcock) then they better damn well be scoring. Especially when he is going to shoot his mouth off "Oh they better do this, better do that or I'm gone."

Point is, Omark isn't scoring right now. He also isn't playing well defensively. He also ins't generating shots. He certainly isn't being an intimidating factor in the game, so what the hell does he bring to the team that makes him worth playing?

Old
11-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Deus

I always thought Omark was a top-6 or bust type of player. His offensive ceiling is high but whether he can reach it or not is difficult to gauge. IMO, I'd take the risk with Omark and move Gagner instead but Omark has to be given more minutes, so he can develop his game faster and hopefully become a legitimate top-6 winger.

Deus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Krigaren*

Quote:
I even used the sarcasm smiley face... yeesh, do I need to add a spoiler to explain things?

And you took what I said backwards. Sure Gagner isn't great in his own end... Sure Paajarvi isn't lighting the world on fire offensively. But you know what? Gagner has proven in four consecutive seasons he can score 40-50 points. Paajarvi has proven this year that he is going defensively.

What has Omark proven? That he can score 20 points over 60 games with 20+ gravy minutes a game? That isn't committed to supporting his team through half of the ice surface? That he was unable to put points on the board in 5 games?

Even with Gagner being mediocre at best this season he is a +1 and has two points. Omark has goose eggs and a -2.

You know what, I get it. You like Omark, you're and Omark fanboy, you think his sister is hot or whatever. If I am dressing the supposed "***** that can score" (to liberate the term from Ken Hitchcock) then they better damn well be scoring. Especially when he is going to shoot his mouth off "Oh they better do this, better do that or I'm gone."

Point is, Omark isn't scoring right now. He also isn't playing well defensively. He also ins't generating shots. He certainly isn't being an intimidating factor in the game, so what the hell does he bring to the team that makes him worth playing?
Well the sarcasm face can be interprented alot of ways like "sure h e was good defensivly sarcasm" as i said i didnt watch the game myself so i dont know, maybe he sucked defensivly and you just pointed that out. Apperently you did not watch the game thou and just decided you wanted to be a smartass.

And you want MPS to be a defensive forward without adding anything to the offensive? Tbh MPS made more misstakes defensivly resulting in GA than Omark did last season.
Gagners 2points is result from him being on the ice rather than him setting anything up. Are you going to tell me that Gagner set up those points with a genius playmaking move?
Are you going to tell me that he havnt been a turnover machine so far?

Atleast get your facts straight Omark did not have 60+ games last season. He played 51 games. The majority off those games he had limited time on the ice. Not untill the team got injury struck he got anywhere close to 20minutes a game but even then he wasnt playing 20+ "gravy" minutes at all.

I am an Omark fan and its nothign wrong with that at all. You made a smartass comment and i asked what was behind it.
Apprently you just wanted to be a smartass and hadnt even watched the game. The rest off your post seems to just want to justify that.

I couldnt care less if you think Omark is a bad hockey player or if you think he has nothing to do in the nhl. If thats your opinion so be it, we all cant agree. I just wondered if you actually had seen the game and if he was bad defensivly afterall he was on the ice for 2ga that game.

Last edited by Krigaren*: 11-06-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old
11-06-2011, 01:23 AM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
On pace is the only fair way to compare them. ppg is the only fair measure, nobody could argue thats unfair. on pace is a different way of saying his ppg is. You should only have 1 manipulated variable, or at least remove as many differing variables as possible, in a fair comparison. You were wrong, he was ripping it up and i proved it. If he's in the range of the elite players of the league in ppg, then it's a non-argument. PPG is the fairest measure plain and simple.

There was multiple players who put up over a ppg in the league last season, and I wouldn't say that all of them "tore the league up". When I think of tearing up the league I think of dominating, and just IMO I think only a few truly deserve that title or it turns cliche. Omark was "on pace" to score 88 points in 80 games. That's a good season any way you slice it, but when I think of tearing the league up I think of Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin esque seasons, that group deserves to be in a league of their own, not every player with a ppg deserves the title.

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:37 AM
harpoon

Quote:
Are you going to tell me that Gagner set up those points with a genius playmaking move?
Actually yes . Gagner was full value on both of those plays .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 02:33 AM
Matte99

I personally wonder why he makes those public statements. It was clear that he needed to play, and OKC is better than nothing. When it comes to the fact he isn't in NA to play AHL hockey, he and his agent can keep that between them and Oiler management. Its not news anyways.

I checked and it seems Omark got 4 points in 2 games, not 5. Also, the most obvious thing to say about AHL vs NHL is that the gap is big, and 4 points in AHL in 2 games means nothing more than if he continue like this he will get a shot again in the big league.

Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 03:20 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte99 View Post
I personally wonder why he makes those public statements. It was clear that he needed to play, and OKC is better than nothing. When it comes to the fact he isn't in NA to play AHL hockey, he and his agent can keep that between them and Oiler management. Its not news anyways.

I checked and it seems Omark got 4 points in 2 games, not 5. Also, the most obvious thing to say about AHL vs NHL is that the gap is big, and 4 points in AHL in 2 games means nothing more than if he continue like this he will get a shot again in the big league.
At his age and with his linemates he should be doing well in the AHL. With all of that being said at this point I'd rather that he was on our 3rd line than Gagner.