HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Omark to Barons - All Omark Discussion Here

Old
11-18-2011, 09:33 AM
nsoilfan

vCash: 500
i want to see Omark recalled
is he injured? i seen some where that he left the game the other day and did not return.

if he is not hurt id like to see him back oilers need a new look at offence.

nsoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:49 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsoilfan View Post
is he injured? i seen some where that he left the game the other day and did not return.

They wont bring him up unless a body is gone. They also have Hordi on the fence still and once he comes back, players will be shuffled. Plus, Dmen are lacking and that's probably where the team will focus on first. Either move a forward for a D or just bring up Dmen from the A.

I don't think Omark will be back soon since he has what, 4-5 games left before he becomes waive eligible.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Son of Krypton

According to Swedish tabloid newspaper Expressen, Omark suffered a fracture in his ankle and will be out six weeks.
It doesn't look like a serious fracture and he won't need surgery, but no games before Christmas it seems.
This according to his agent, Patrik Aronsson.

Son of Krypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Hockey Nightmare

It never rains but it pours.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:41 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Krypton View Post
According to Swedish tabloid newspaper Expressen, Omark suffered a fracture in his ankle and will be out six weeks.
It doesn't look like a serious fracture and he won't need surgery, but no games before Christmas it seems.
This according to his agent, Patrik Aronsson.
Damn. Tough luck for the kid. Wonder what this means for his future with the Oilers.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Son of Krypton

Omark to Norrbottens-Kuriren, one of the local newspapers in northern Sweden:

"I felt I was in extremely good shape. But that's life. Feels like pretty bad timing."

They'll run the full story/interview tomorrow.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Bryanbryoil

Too bad for Omark, maybe by the time he returns we will have made some room on the big club for him or Harski?

11-18-2011, 11:58 AM
LimpDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpit View Post
Did he answer truthfully or did he answer to put pressure on the Oilers. He should of known better then to answer those questions, most any other player would of deflected the questions or not of answered at all. Also he didn't need to answer the phone.
I work in a management position, so i know the importance of keeping certain information to yourself.

However the philosophy that players should keep their mouths shut and just do their jobs is evolving to a more progressive and open system in business every day. It's just that grass roots type or organizations such as hockey are way behind the curve.

Honesty is important, and team unity is as well...but a hockey team (organization) should not be crippled by others pressuring within for growth...it's just part of the system...and should be worked into the fabric of the system. Many interpret Omark's comments as damaging to the team, not in good team spirit. I just don't think that's the case.

Reality check...unfortunately we are working with human beings...with lives, personal goals, etc. How does it make sense to have a system in which only those who keep their heads down can operate within? It doesn't...progressive business...successful ones, lay out the ground rules and allow people to work within them...hopefully not stifling the creative mind that is so critical for long term growth.

There is this belief that if it's not broken...don't fix it, and there is a lot of truth to that statement...however we do need to evaluate the way we view a "team player"

For example if one of my employees keeps his mouth shut, it's easier for me to control that employee, they are less maintenance for myself and i value that quite a bit in certain situations. However in order to influence growth you need competition, you need people believing that they are able to perform at a higher level, and push not only their peers, but their superiors and the organization as well...problem is...you need the right mix within.

I would not view anything that Omark has said recently as anything but honesty, and a strong will to succeed. While he may come across as arrogant, remember he is pushing for a job...and hopefully there are players on this team looking over their shoulder working their ***** off to produce at the level required.

Omark was one of our better players when he was playing on some nights, but we weren't winning...This is ultimately our goal and i think/hope Omark understands this fact.

Hopefully the sense of entitlement will start to disappear as our depth improves...usually this is the case in any organization...when you have little competition you start to get complacent, and you start believing that you are more important than you really are...you are unable to focus on what you need to do. Organizations with more depth typically have more focused individuals...simply because they are fighting for their "place"

The oilers organization hasn't had this depth for a while, and it's severely hurt players like gagner, gilbert, horcoff and others. There is a benefit IF these players can learn to refocus, if management can help lead them in the right direction...the skills they have learned having to be flexible can be utilized...but now, more than ever management is crucial for our team to turn a corner

we'll see...

LimpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Pennertration

I'm hoping Omark's injury is a blessing in disguise.

Oilers have too many forwards right now anyway, so this gives management some time to figure things out and perhaps move a forward or two to make room. Or, if other injuries surface, hopefully Omark can get back into the Oilers lineup when he's healthy.

With the situation on D, however, I'm thinking Gagner could be on his way out of town sooner rather than later.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpDave View Post
However the philosophy that players should keep their mouths shut and just do their jobs is evolving to a more progressive and open system in business every day. It's just that grass roots type or organizations such as hockey are way behind the curve.
Swedish hockey players are known to be very approachable and honest.
It's something the journalists who cover hockey over here are quick to point out, especially those who cover both football (soccer) and hockey.
A hockey player will always answer his phone and speak his mind, while football players (at least the successful ones) will hide behind their managers and rarely speak to journalists unless it's a scheduled press conference or an interview booked in advanced.

This reputation of being approchable can lead to a backlash, however, if a hockey player decides not to answer his phone.

In fact, a couple of years ago, during the 2008-2009 SEL season, Omark decided to not speak to the media at all since he felt they had been twisting his words, making a mountain out of a molehill.
It was something about a "stupid ref" (Omark's words ) who had told Linus that the only reason he was assessed a penalty, which led to a game-losing goal, was because the other team's home crowd "would have buried me if I didn't" (ref's words).

Anyway, Omark's "boycott" only led to more headlines and he was soon forced to answer his phone and talk to the media again.

Old
11-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsoilfan View Post

Broken ankle, out 6 weeks.

11-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Son of Krypton

Old
11-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Thanks for the info, that's SO tough, he was playing well, shot at getting a call, and this? For **** sakes, like the kid or not, he deserved better then this.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 08:33 PM
TheNumber4

Quote:
****. I feel bad for Omark. It looks like he was slew-footed there, was he? I didn't see any penalties or controversy after the play.

7 pts in 7 games for Omark, makes this even sadder. He was on fire down there.

TheNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Ragss

That really does look like a sleugh foot. Really ******. Whats with the oil and injuries?

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Eskimo44

He made a nice backcheck on that play too. I think one thing the coaches were lookng for was him going in a little deeper to get to loose pucks/battles.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:55 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Total sleugh foot... Tough injury, was hoping to see him called up soon.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Too bad for Omark, maybe by the time he returns we will have made some room on the big club for him or Harski?
I'd much rather see Hartski. He's got the soul and drive we need on this team.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 04:31 AM
Everlasting

Quote:
Swedish hockey players are known to be very approachable and honest.
It's something the journalists who cover hockey over here are quick to point out, especially those who cover both football (soccer) and hockey.
A hockey player will always answer his phone and speak his mind, while football players (at least the successful ones) will hide behind their managers and rarely speak to journalists unless it's a scheduled press conference or an interview booked in advanced..
And that is something we should be greatful for. Hockeyplayers should, every athletes should do the same.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 11:26 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
I'd much rather see Hartski. He's got the soul and drive we need on this team.
Right. Must be why he was scratched a few games ago for lack of effort and called out after yesterday's game for a lack of work ethic. I like Harski and have high hopes for him, but his game still needs work. He's not the second coming of Ryan Smyth. Apparently, Ryan Smyth is the second coming of Ryan Smyth.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:21 AM
Thorulf

Update from Sweden regarding Omark:

Yesterday he was in a meeting with the managment from Luleň HC in SEL.
There have been rumors previously that Luleň has made an offer for Omark, but this time there seams to be more hands-on.

Before some cry-boys here jumps on Omark for his attitude; The managment from Luleň claims NHL is Linus goal and committment.

(Link: http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle14036760.ab)

This injury came at a very bad timing. Personally i think Omark will try to take a spot under january. If still in AHL, he will go to Luleň (SEL trading closes 31th of Jan) and prepare for playoffs.

Thorulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:51 AM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorulf View Post
Update from Sweden regarding Omark:

Yesterday he was in a meeting with the managment from Luleň HC in SEL.
There have been rumors previously that Luleň has made an offer for Omark, but this time there seams to be more hands-on.

Before some cry-boys here jumps on Omark for his attitude; The managment from Luleň claims NHL is Linus goal and committment.

(Link: http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle14036760.ab)

This injury came at a very bad timing. Personally i think Omark will try to take a spot under january. If still in AHL, he will go to Luleň (SEL trading closes 31th of Jan) and prepare for playoffs.
Yeah, they're basically trying to make sure that IF he decides to come home he'll choose Luleň. His goal and main focus is still the NHL but if things change Luleň wants to be first in line.

It also says he's coming back to NA in a week.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:22 AM
Son of Krypton

Here's a repost of my Omark update in the OKC thread, for those that missed it:

Omark's back home in Sweden (if hasn't left by now) to meet family & friends and recharge his batteries.

He did a radio interview last Thursday, and he says he can't do much of anything at the moment, other than try to keep in shape, so he felt it was better to go back home and think about something else than hockey for a while.

He had a talk with Steve Tambellini once he was scratched for consecutive games while the Oilers were winning. They agreed he needed to play games.
Says he was optimistic about being called back up while he was playing with the Barons, but slightly less optimistic, of course, when injury struck. But he hopes it will make him stronger.

He says there's a lot of rumors about him returning to Europe, but he doesn't think about that right now.
His focus is on getting back to the NHL.

The cast will be removed on December 29, according to his own calculations. And then the real rehab starts with a strict program.
He hopes to be back playing games with the Barons by mid-January, but it all depends on how his ankle responds.

On the standard of the AHL vs. the SEL, he says it's a completely different game and not easy to compare the two, but the Barons would probably do well against SEL teams on small ice, while the SEL teams would have an advantage on big ice.

He says the Oilers are playing well, better than many expected, even if they're not winning as much right now.
The interviewer brought up Pńńjńrvi's situation, being scratched for a few games, and Linus says it's a tough situation.
Everyone knows there's a risk you'll be sent down to the minors, but he thinks Magnus is pretty safe after all.

On Edmonton's first round picks and the draft itself (a very North American phenomenon), he says it's a good system.
He compares Edmonton to teams like Chicago, Washington and Pittsburgh that "used to be like Edmonton".
He thinks the Oilers will be a Stanley Cup contender within two or three years.

Being drafted in a later round can be a drawback, he admits, as teams are generally built around first rounders.
He says the Oilers have a lot of good forwards, so it's not easy to get into the lineup, but you have to believe in yourself.
He also admits to hearing rumors about being traded, but it's all speculation, and the Oilers can't trade him as long as he's out with an injury.

One of the local papers in Luleň had a short interview with Linus today.
Once again, he was asked about whether or not he has been talking with his old team Luleň Hockey about possibly returning to the SEL, but he says they've just been catching up with each other:

Do you think you might change your mind once you get back to North America?
- No, I'm going back there now. I don't have a crystal ball to see into the future - but I'm going back there now, I'll rehab and try to get back to the NHL. That's my goal.
If you don't get back to the NHL - is the KHL your second choice, or the SEL?
- I haven't even thought about it. I don't want to think about that. It would steal energy from my efforts to get back to the NHL.

Old
12-06-2011, 04:33 AM
Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorulf View Post
Hm. I dunno.
That would mean two weeks at the most in the AHL, probably less, unless his rehab goes extraordinarily well.
Stubborn guy like Omark... somehow I don't see him giving up like that.

Old
12-06-2011, 06:11 AM
Thorulf

Quote:
Hm. I dunno.
That would mean two weeks at the most in the AHL, probably less, unless his rehab goes extraordinarily well.
Stubborn guy like Omark... somehow I don't see him giving up like that.
That's why the injury came at a very bad time. Maybe it is not required to play in Edmonton by the end of Janurary, but the Oils managment should have made it clear by then for Linus what the long-term plan for him in the club is. It breaks down to basic communication. If Omark get the feeling that they are willing to invest icetime in him, then i think he will stick around. But if not - why should he stay? Just to give Oilers som trade value?
Back in Luleň he would be recived as a king, get more cash and play playoffs ()*

*Due to the fact that this board is crowded with posters who is more or less Linus-unfriendly and tend to complain about this "attitude", it can't be said enough the Linus time and time again has said that NHL and the Oilers is the prio one.

Thorulf is offline   Reply With Quote