HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXVII (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Columbus should have gotten a real goaltender about two years ago.
Mason had a hell of a year 2 years ago when they made the playoffs, I honestly thought that kid was legit. No idea what the hell happened to him but he has been horrible since

Quote:
Toronto is actually pretty crappy, but they've run into this sort of thing a lot. It'll pass, but it's annoying in the meantime.
I know most don't want to hear this, but I said it yesterday and I honestly think they are legit and will be fighting for a playoffs spot at the end of the season. They are going to win tonight and have Boston at home Saturday, should be interesting

Old
11-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

vCash: 500
Perhaps you would disagree but since he wouldn't eat up too many UFA years (as most Habs on RFA deals) I don't think Price's cap hit will be that high. That's what I would do:

Year 1: $4.5M
Year 2: $5M
Year 3: $6M
Year 4: $6M

Cap hit: $5.37M

Old
11-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Habsland35

Wow New Jersey is terrible....

a lot of people had them out of the playoffs this year, but i really thought they were going to have a bounce back year...i know its still early but man they looked terrible yesterday against toronto and look even worse tonight

Old
gusfring

Quote:
Toronto is actually pretty crappy, but they've run into this sort of thing a lot. It'll pass, but it's annoying in the meantime.
Their crappy? Really?

Old
Lilou
t-.-t

Quote:
What does it make montreal then? Did you not lose to them twice? How about giving credit where it's due instead of being a sour puss. This is not the 2005-2009 leafs.

Old
11-03-2011, 08:17 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I know most don't want to hear this, but I said it yesterday and I honestly think they are legit and will be fighting for a playoffs spot at the end of the season.
They are about as legit as Mason. They're only winning because everything they're shooting finds its way in right now; they're not a fundamentally strong club. Their underlying numbers are weak and there are too many better clubs in the East. They'll most likely fall out.

Old
11-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Habsland35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilou View Post
What does it make montreal then? Did you not lose to them twice? How about giving credit where it's due instead of being a sour puss. This is not the 2005-2009 leafs.

ill give them credit if they could keep this up atleast another 15-20 games...till then they havent proven much...just like everyone still thinks that Bostons gonna make the playoffs even though they are in last place...i think the leafs wont make the playoffs even though they are currently sitting in 2nd place

People keep saying that the bounces are not going Boston's way right now and eventually things will turn around
well, if you watched any Leafs game this year youd realise that everything is going their way right now...and its only a matter of time till things turn around

Old
11-03-2011, 08:23 PM
coolasprICE

The more wins for the Leaf, the louder the bubble will pop come january

I'm predicting a horrible 2nd half for them

Old
11-03-2011, 08:23 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsland35 View Post
just like everyone still thinks that Bostons gonna make the playoffs even though they are in last place...
Boston is the un-Toronto -- playing very strongly but not being able to buy a goal. Habs fans will recognize this from last year.

The Bruins have much better underlying numbers than last year, which makes me think they won't be as dependent on superhuman goaltending as last year. Much to my annoyance they're legitimately good. Definitely a threat to win the division even considering where they're at right now.

Old
11-03-2011, 08:24 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
The more wins for the Leaf, the bigger the pop to the bubble come january

One thing I don't see in the leafs team is the mental makeup for A) the playoffs and B) coming back from a huge skid. They might be a playoff team a game, which is great since no original six team should be that bad for that long. That being said, they're playing above their heads right now.

Old
11-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Habsland35

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
One thing I don't see in the leafs team is the mental makeup for A) the playoffs and B) coming back from a huge skid. They might be a playoff team a game, which is great since no original six team should be that bad for that long. That being said, they're playing above their heads right now.
exactly

if people watch their games its very easy to see....seems like all the bounces are going their way right now...once they get on a big losing streak, if they can rebound from that then well know they're legit...i really dont see that happening though...

Old
11-03-2011, 08:30 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
but, but Kessel and Lupul are on pace for 70 and 55 goals respectively

Old
11-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Lilou
t-.-t

Quote:
The more wins for the Leaf, the louder the bubble will pop come january

You a betting man Last few years Leafs have been one of the hottest teams in the 2nd half. I don't expect them to keep this pace but I do think they'll be fighting for the 7/8 spot. Maybe higher if Reimer can return from injury and continue his strong play.

Old
11-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
You a betting man Last few years Leafs have been one of the hottest teams in the 2nd half. I don't expect them to keep this pace but I do think they'll be fighting for the 7/8 spot. Maybe higher if Reimer can return from injury and continue his strong play.
Yes and that usually happens in the NHL. Bottom place teams usually do well in the last 1/4 of the season don't expect the same if the Leafs keep winning. I think they will be fighting for a spot, but think about what happened in the last few years, Leafs were out of the playoffs by January and had nothing to play for

Old
11-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Habsland35

Quote:
Toronto has been one of the hottest teams in the second half of the season for like the last 3 years...teams always start playing better once theyre out of the playoff picture

Old
11-03-2011, 08:34 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Spacek, Cammy, Gionta, Cole... all 4 of them got high-end of what the market was looking to pay those players at the time.

while we have resisted the temptation to manipulate the system and get lower cap hits by giving out massive term deals, we've been paying UFA's market premium with term long enough to be risky but too short to get a real cap break.

a luxury afforded only to teams with cap spending owners, and in the absence of any true elite players to show for it (elite is a debatable term, of course, but Cammy, as good as he is, is not among the games top 5-10 wingers...), not a particularly effective strategy imo.
NONE of whom played for Montreal. In fact, the last two important extensions handed out to players with expiring contracts on UFA years were Markov and Plekanec. Both of which signed for relatively fair value.

Old
11-03-2011, 08:39 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
I never said they will miss the playoffs... if they continue this hot start long enough that could certainly protect them once their skid approaches.

and yes, that skid will approach.

They had great 2nd halfs... but they did that without the pressure of having to make the playoffs, playing against back-up goalies, and teams taking them lightly.

I'll wager that they're going to hit the wall.. and hit it hard... sorry, but your team is a bubble team at best... and no way are they a mid range playoff team.

Old
11-03-2011, 08:48 PM
NewHabsEra*

Leafs have a strong D core and they added some pretty good assets up front.. I think they are for real this time.. Winning against Columbus is possibly the easiest thing to do on earth but they showed alot of good things so far this year, their transition is something to see..

Old
11-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Leafs have a strong D core and they added some pretty good assets up front.. I think they are for real this time.. Winning against Columbus is possibly the easiest thing to do on earth but they showed alot of good things so far this year, their transition is something to see..
Agreed. And I feel Burke will make a big move

Old
11-03-2011, 08:50 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Things I'm skeptical with in regards to Toronto is how bad their special teams are. They've been great 5 on 5, but also have been shooting at unreal clip that won't be able to keep up all season...

But on paper, with Lupol and Phaneuf returning to form, they've got some fire power...

Old
11-03-2011, 09:03 PM
SAKS AVENUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsland35 View Post
Wow New Jersey is terrible....

a lot of people had them out of the playoffs this year, but i really thought they were going to have a bounce back year...i know its still early but man they looked terrible yesterday against toronto and look even worse tonight
We should trade Weber Gio and Gomez our 2nd pick back to Jersey for Parise their 2nd and ????

Old
11-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Lilou
t-.-t

Quote:
I never said they will miss the playoffs... if they continue this hot start long enough that could certainly protect them once their skid approaches.

and yes, that skid will approach.

They had great 2nd halfs... but they did that without the pressure of having to make the playoffs, playing against back-up goalies, and teams taking them lightly.

I'll wager that they're going to hit the wall.. and hit it hard... sorry, but your team is a bubble team at best... and no way are they a mid range playoff team.
Fair enough. You need to look at the improvements though. Leafs had terrible goaltending last season and 1 line that can score. The defense is more mobile, Reimer/Gus look to be a good pairing, and the additions to the forward group have added speed and skill. Anyway we shall see where they end up. Just curious where do you see montreal finishing?

Old
11-03-2011, 09:09 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Fair enough. You need to look at the improvements though. Leafs had terrible goaltending last season and 1 line that can score.
Toronto's goaltending last year was actually average. Their weakness was a weak possession game (ie. they weren't good at controlling the play) and while they're improved a bit this year in a small sample, they're still below water.

Old
11-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
Rinne 49M for 7 years! I hear Price is already looking for a bigger home
http://www.sothebysrealty.ca/idx/cms/6091/details.html

Old
11-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Protest the Hero

There was a lot of talk about the Leafs D corps, and I believed it going into the year, but going into tonight's game I think they're 28th-30th in the league for shots against.

Closed Thread