HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Filatov + 4th line = WHY?

Old
11-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

vCash: 500
If I was Stache I probably would have moved Michalek and/or Greening off the 1st line and given Filatov a chance late in the 2nd or at the start of the 3rd period. Sometimes those in-game adjustments work well because they throw off the match-ups.

Tundraman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
If I was Stache I probably would have moved Michalek and/or Greening off the 1st line and given Filatov a chance late in the 2nd or at the start of the 3rd period. Sometimes those in-game adjustments work well because they throw off the match-ups.
That first line is the reason we won 6 in a row.

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:55 PM
eyeno

What is different here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Patrick Harris View Post
Considering how he took the demotion to Bingo with a great attitude and positive outlook, I would say that's crap. He's done nothing but work since coming here.

And don't give me this crap about how he needs to prove himself on the 4th line. Filatov is a goal scorer. He's not going to do that playing 6 minutes a night with Konopka and Winchester. If the Senators are putting Filatov in a position where he is set up to fail, he'll fail.
He comes from a team who had him in the A why, not because of his hair color.There is a reason.You think having to prove yourself is crap, not sure where you played I guess no where.One thing about elite players they usually make line mates better players.I agree its tough to do anything with limited ice time, but if your that good you will do something,anything.If he is the second coming as some seem to think he is he will do that something that will give him the break he needs.He has put himself in that position.

eyeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:55 PM
ILLESToO
Forever red & black

You'll never know if you never try, the reason we're whinning is because Murray clearly said that this was the move for a top 6 forward so why not give him the chance to play ! Condra's good on the PK but Filatov brings everything else he brings 5 on 5 and is also better at everything, plus Condra's on the 3rd... Murray says he's bringing in a top 6 forward but we're giving him no chance to succeed

ILLESToO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:58 PM
eyeno

One ??

Quote:
WHY those two guys have been stellar,

eyeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeno View Post
He comes from a team who had him in the A why, not because of his hair color.There is a reason.You think having to prove yourself is crap, not sure where you played I guess no where.One thing about elite players they usually make line mates better players.I agree its tough to do anything with limited ice time, but if your that good you will do something,anything.If he is the second coming as some seem to think he is he will do that something that will give him the break he needs.He has put himself in that position.
Filatov went to the A in an attempt to find his groove as a goal scorer. We sent him down there, and he kicked ass. He's not a 4th line player.

I'm not saying that "having to prove yourself" is crap, but in Filatov's case. It is. He will not prove anything playing 6 minutes a night on the 4th line. He will not produce any offense, which is what he is good at, while playing with no offensive support. If Filatov is going to prove himself, it will be on any line other than the 4th line. That is why this is crap.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:59 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD19 View Post
You'll never know if you never try, the reason we're whinning is because Murray clearly said that this was the move for a top 6 forward so why not give him the chance to play ! Condra's good on the PK but Filatov brings everything else he brings 5 on 5 and is also better at everything, plus Condra's on the 3rd... Murray says he's bringing in a top 6 forward but we're giving him no chance to succeed
Didn't he have all pre-season to exceed? He'll get his damn chance when Maclean and co. feel he's ready for it.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
That first line is the reason we won 6 in a row.
They were minus in more ways than one tonight. In the other games there were signs that they might do something good but tonight you could tell that none of them were winning any battles or creating chances 5 on 5. I know it can change with the next shift but if that was always true no coach would ever make adjustments. Poor Greening has been great on the pp but now has the worse +- on the team at -7 and his 2 partners have dropped to the next worse on the team at -4. Coaches need to use their assets wisely. When you have a rested pure offensively minded skater like Filatov sitting on the bench why not give him a shot in the second half of the game when the 1st line isn't working. You can always revert back if it doesn't work after a few shifts.

Old
11-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 857
once we trade for turris he'll be on the 2nd line. be patient

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:09 AM
ILLESToO
Forever red & black

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Didn't he have all pre-season to exceed? He'll get his damn chance when Maclean and co. feel he's ready for it.
Yep and I think he was really good and made some really nice plays
Ex: Cowen's 1st goal vs TO, the GWG vs MTL he had like 3 pts in 5 or 6 games if my memory's right, and that wasn't playing with plugs... I agree with you that they know when he'll be ready, I just hope they won't give up on him like that cause you can see he has talent and he's only 21

ILLESToO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
They were minus in more ways than one tonight. In the other games there were signs that they might do something good but tonight you could tell that none of them were winning any battles or creating chances 5 on 5. I know it can change with the next shift but if that was always true no coach would ever make adjustments. Poor Greening has been great on the pp but now has the worse +- on the team at -7 and his 2 partners have dropped to the next worse on the team at -4. Coaches need to use their assets wisely. When you have a rested pure offensively minded skater like Filatov sitting on the bench why not give him a shot in the second half of the game when the 1st line isn't working. You can always revert back if it doesn't work after a few shifts.
Filatov didn't work with Spezza and 9MM the first time around, and Greening is perfect with that line. If you're down 2 in the third, you sure as hell are going with the best possible line. You've been watching too much of Clouston. Coaches don't just change their lines after a few poor shifts. That line may have had a poor showing, but they were still creating a fair amount of chances and were successful at controlling the play at times.

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Manny*

He looked really into the game tonight. Skated hard, backchecked and threw some hits. Did his best with the icetime and the linemates he was given. He'll get rewarded if he keeps it up.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Iggy77

Filatov hasn't done anything to earn more ice time.

Greening has handily outplayed him and is way more useful in the top-6.

Foligno has been effective as well.

Filatov is a project, he's not ready for NHL duty. He may even be a bust. He should spend more time in Bingo, see if KK can fix him and make an NHL player out of him.

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:21 AM
number72

He needs sheltered easy minutes rather then playing the top line against the top defenders that will make him look like a turnover machine. Don't question Mclean he knows exactly what he is doing here.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Manny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post

Filatov is a project, he's not ready for NHL duty. He may even be a bust. He should spend more time in Bingo, see if KK can fix him and make an NHL player out of him.
Nobody is comparing him to Greening or Foligno.

Filatov doesn't need to be "fixed". What are you even talking about?

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:26 AM
Karlstrobe
Lazer Lazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post

Even though the new NHL is accepting younger players Filitov is only 21 and not many players find their game at that age. By 24 we can tell if he will reach his potential

Karlstrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
I want him to get the Greening treatment..spend an entire year in the ahl so when he comes up he appreciates his time on the big club and work his ass off to stay up here..Condra got the same thing.

Hes good, but he needs to know we want him, but he needs to grind it out to prove to himself he deserves the shot. Being given the spot and having to work for it develops two different mentalities for a player. Also giving him a taste for the nhl and then sending him back might make him a hungrier player. Lehner sees his skill, but i have yet to see any glimpse of it while he;s been on the big team.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:37 AM
FrankTousi

I guess Maclean wants Filatov to play more basic hockey on the fourth line? Not making forced plays... I don't know

FrankTousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frea_K View Post
I want him to get the Greening treatment..spend an entire year in the ahl so when he comes up he appreciates his time on the big club and work his ass off to stay up here..Condra got the same thing.

Hes good, but he needs to know we want him, but he needs to grind it out to prove to himself he deserves the shot. Being given the spot and having to work for it develops two different mentalities for a player. Also giving him a taste for the nhl and then sending him back might make him a hungrier player. Lehner sees his skill, but i have yet to see any glimpse of it while he;s been on the big team.
He's been in the AHL for three years... That's more time in the AHL than possibly anyone on the Senators save maybe Anderson and Carkner.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

lamok: Is it supposed to be some kind of insult to have watched games coached by Cory Clouston? Did anyone here except your fertile imagination use him as a coaching model? I fully agree with having set starting lines but if you gave it a bit of thought even you might be able to name dozens upon dozens of successful coaches past and present who adjusted their lines when things weren't working. Stache has already done it himself. I like that 1st line but I hope you aren't serious when you imply that Spezza's line created a lot of chances 5 on 5 tonight. They did alright but it was for the Bruins.

btw) I don't think anyone was talking about a permanent change either.

Old
11-02-2011, 02:17 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
They're trying to bleed out the laziness and tentative play from his game. The best way to do that is to force him to actually earn his icetime and push his way up the roster.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:24 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeno View Post
Filitov is soft ,lazy at times, physically weak, over rated.And according to some can only play hockey with certain players.Now, most other player have to work there way up the line up with hard work and a good attitude. My guess is the work ethic is not there and the attitude may suck so he stays were he is till that changes.Just my thought but I dont think he needs you guys whining for him as well.How do you spell whinning I have never done it before.
Too early to say that. Filatov looked crazy good in the preseason, like Kovalev with speed that actually competes hard. He is still young, still the lineup or the first call up from Bingo. We shall see how he does this season.

I LOVE how this team is made up. We have too many NHLers so you need to compete and get results to play. Seems Maclean is giving guys a chance to prove themselves.

Notice when Regin came in the lineup... he earned his time and was gettign a good 16 minutes a game, as were his linemates when they were going, Foligno and Neil. If Filatov or Butler show the kind of play Regin did they will earn 15 minutes and 3rd or 2nd line duty. And they will eventually get their chance to audition for the opportunity but nothing will be given to anyone.

By accounts Filatov was good in Bingo, and he is still in the plans if he is able to show results on the ice. It might not be next game or next month even but he will likely end up with enough chances to prove himself and if he does he will get his ice time.

To me, Murray didn't lie to Filatov, they tried him with more minutes and the start of the season, not enough results, he gets some time in Bingo and is recalled and in the lineup now. Filatov still is going to get chances to play with better teammates. If we have a game and Filatov is playing well and some other line is not clicking, or someone is injured he is going to get his chance. When we are on a 6 game winning streak and all the forwards are playing well he is not going to get a big chance to move up in the pecking order.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:16 AM
Drama

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
What do you expect Filatov to do? He is playing with two offensively inept players. You really think Michalek or Greening would have scored tonight playing six minutes with those guys?
Greening was given less chances then Filatov and now he is on our first line and no one is complaining. No one is asking Filatov to score. He wasn't sent down to work on his offensive game because everyone knows he can score. I don't remember where I read this but I think it was KK who said something along the lines of "Filatov has all the skill to produce in the NHL but we want to focus on his play without the puck."

He can show that is making smart decisions with/without the puck on the 6th line playing 2 minutes a game and if the coach is happy with it he will get his shot.

Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:54 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
Filatov did look good with Regin. Unfortunately we won't see that combo for a while. The Sens sent him down to Bingo to work on his game. He went down scored, got crushed came back and got recalled. The Sens may feel having him around the big club is better exposure for him. Management may also have a plan of moving more one way contracts u and down all season to keep competition going and to evaluate players. Daugavins also may have stayed up were it not for his teeth and Filatov may have stayed down were it not for Alfredson's injury. So playing him onthe fourth line may just be were he got slotted in because of the circumstances. Imagine these boards if someone else got called up instead of filatov, to play on fourth line.

c_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Tuna99

Filatov is afraid of the NHL, he doesn't want to get hurt, he's too goodlooking for that.

In the AHL were nobody can catch him he gets more space and respect because of his speed, he's fine. In the NHL were he's just a skinny winger and nobody is intimidated by his speed he doesn't get any space and he's afraid to hold onto the puck and go into the slot or into the corners.

This is why he's a 6th overall pick playing 5 minutes on the 4th line and in the AHL. He's scared

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote