HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

We have a powerplay that is good

Old
11-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

vCash: 500
We have a powerplay that is good

Seriously, when is the last time you remember not being frustrated with our powerplay ? Kudos to Richards and the coaching staff for getting our players moving on the ice.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 3000
Well we were just 1/9 today (and that one being scored with a two-man advantage). I think that's mainly due to Montreal's PK, but it seems pretty weird you decide to make this thread now..

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Although we were 1-9 today, our PP looks MUCH better than last years, whether you want to admit it or not.

11-05-2011, 10:05 PM
bluecollarblueshirt*

stralman will only help. Maybe richie goes up front instead of dubi and del zotto and stralman man the points. could only wonder if that will help

bluecollarblueshirt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 50
We manage to keep the puck in the offensive zone now, but still we dont manage to move it fast enough and shoot enough I think. 1/9 tonight is hardly great, but I agree it is waaaaaay better looking than last season. I am expecting it to keep getting better as the season moves along though.

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Loffen
Legend

The 5-on-3 looks much better, but the 1 man advantage however is still a mess most of the time.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:11 PM
wr50l

Slightly more fluid with arguably more firepower than last year's. Powerplay will average out over a season and then I blieve we will be revealed as an average to below average unit.

We don't carry the play consistently on the 5 on 4. IF we can get the puck to Gaborik or Richards it's fine but it's not an overwhelming display which leaves the killers gasping for breath. For a good powerplay unit if you don't score you want to at least have had a minute or so with the opposition hemmed in, more often than not our unsuccessful efforts are coupled with unencouraging failures to maintain possession of the puck in the killer's zone.

When you see players like Boyle, Fedotenko and Girardi on the powerplay it becomes clear you just aren't a squad built to excel with the man advantage. If we had more skill players we could give Gaborik less of a playmaking role and allow him to try to drift into the right circle for one-timers like we see with snipers such as Stamkos and Ovechkin.

wr50l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:12 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Hf never fails with the jinx threads. Never. Fails.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Are you serious? And this coming after a 1 for 9 game? Only on HF

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Yes because I only draw opinions based on one game.

Trolls.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:24 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

They haven't had a good PP since the Jagr days and a great one since Leetch and Zubov.

The problem is that they don't have the big shot that the opposition has to respect. Richards has a good shot and should use it more. Del Z needs to shoot more too. They were beginning to have a good PP last year when Rozi was finally shooting but with the Frolov injury, they made the trade.

A lot of this falls on Sullivan. If he can't get the job done, bring in someone like a Brian Leetch to work with these guys specifically and solely for the PP.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Yes because I only draw opinions based on one game.

Trolls.
23rd in the league, and I'm a troll? What team are you watching? Richards is an elite passer from the point, however MDZ never shoots, the team also lacks a good guy in front who can deflect shots, also they actually lack a shooter. Gaborik is their only shooter but he's too stationary along the perimeter. In whole the team doesn't move their feet enough. Again, how am I a troll when the facts don't lie? Get a clue

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

we were really 2 for 9. we scored 1 right as a PP expired.

sometimes it looked outstanding, at other times it didnt.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:14 PM
bluecollarblueshirt*

credit has to be given were due. the habs had a decent pk tonight which is unusual but they did. deal with it it looks better than last year and its only going to get better we just need the wins who cares how they come

bluecollarblueshirt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Before today it looked better.

But count me worried after tonight.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Seriously, when is the last time you remember not being frustrated with our powerplay ? Kudos to Richards and the coaching staff for getting our players moving on the ice.
The last time I was not frustrated with our powerplay was in the early part of the 2000/01 when the team had Leech, Malakhov, Lindros and Fleury. Our current team's powerplay is average at best with the only upgrade being the addition of an elite passer in Richards. MDZ who hardly looks to shot the puck at all doesn't really have a great shot to begin with and Gaborik who is our only elite shooter is not really that good on the powerplay because he doesn't move his feet enough to get himself into good shooting position. We do a lousy job at getting traffic in front of the net to provide screens and we also lack offensive players with the good hands necessary to tip pucks into the net.
I really don't see what you're talking about regarding our powerplay not being frustrating this year because when I left the garden last nite, I was beyond frustrated; call it downright annoyed with the team's ineptitude and inability to convert on the 5 on 3.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:20 PM
trilobyte

My opinion only maybe, but I'm tickled with the PP. Technically 1 for 9, fair to say it was 2 for 9.

The fact they don't look like zombies with the man advantage is pretty good. They can still try to figure out better ways to handle an aggresive PK, and I'm not saying that they are great. Still, at least I don't go for a snack or a dump when they get the man advantage.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:20 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
It's better, sure, but it's still not up to snuff. It's not good, either, IMO. It's average. If the team can develop chemistry with Richards from the point, and Del Zotto starts to shoot the puck more effectively, then maybe we'll have a top-10 powerplay.

Until that time comes, however, same old Ranger PP. A step behind everyone else.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:22 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

We look very good 4v4 and 5v3. 5v4 when we get set up we look good...but we have trouble setting up.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
23rd in the league, and I'm a troll? What team are you watching? Richards is an elite passer from the point, however MDZ never shoots, the team also lacks a good guy in front who can deflect shots, also they actually lack a shooter. Gaborik is their only shooter but he's too stationary along the perimeter. In whole the team doesn't move their feet enough. Again, how am I a troll when the facts don't lie? Get a clue
I agree with you. The more things change, the more they stay the same. It feels like years since we had a point man whose shot could actually break a pane of glass. Our spacing is lousy and we don't move the puck fast enough. In hindsight, Savior should have signed Soury for the 1.5 mil that Dallas ended up paying him. The guy still has a bomb from the point and that makes all the difference in the world.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:38 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
It's better, sure, but it's still not up to snuff. It's not good, either, IMO. It's average. If the team can develop chemistry with Richards from the point, and Del Zotto starts to shoot the puck more effectively, then maybe we'll have a top-10 powerplay.

Until that time comes, however, same old Ranger PP. A step behind everyone else.
I'm pretty sure that last season, even when we were all going crazy about how bad the PP was, they were still something like 16th in efficiency. If I remember correctly, it dipped down pretty badly toward the end of the season.

All I can say is that now I expect the powerplay to do something, instead of just hoping they get lucky.
Call me optimistic, but I think this team is going to rock on the powerplay this season.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:41 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

PP is still pretty average. We finally have our QB, Richards has been great in that role. We're obviously missing a huge part, a guy with a dangerous point shot. If we somehow acquire that, our PP could be dangerous. Until then, status quo IMO.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:45 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
sometimes it looked outstanding, at other times it didnt.

Pretty much. Looks good 1 day and then it reverts to last season.

It'll get better.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Vito Andolini

I agree. I think the pp has been looking much better for a few weeks now. I'd go so far as to call good as well...not just average.

Over the last 6 games
JETS - 2 for 5
TOR - 0 for 3
OTT - 2 for 4
SJ - 1 for 5 (scored a goal just after penalty ended)
ANA - 0 for 4
MTL - 1 for 9 (scored a few seconds after a penalty ended)

That's 20%. Becomes 27% when adding in the 2 goals that were scored within seconds of their penalties ending.

For the first time in a while, the personnel is actually there for a better than average pp...particularly on the first unit. Richards is excellent with the extra man. Gaborik is of course dangerous. Del Zotto has potential to be dangerous, & Callahan is solid. Dubinsky's the only part that is below average on that pp.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:14 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I don't know what powperplay you have been watching exactly.

Has it looked better than last year? Absolutely, because quite frankly it can't get much worse than last year. Has it been good? No we are ranked in the low 20's in the league this year and have looked lost plenty of times. However, I do expect that as the time continues to improve it will get better and move to the middle of the pack, however I have been incredibly frustrated with the powerplay to start the year.