Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2004, 05:30 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Um....if he was about the money, he would have continued to play and made millions more. The fact is that he simply lost passion for the game.

By the way....are you done bringing up the CFL? It seems like you keep trying to squeeze it into every post you make on just about any football-related thread.

Old
09-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Dropkick Alex

Barry Sanders said when he retired, he retired because he knew if he broke the record he would be miserable, he wouldn't be playing for anything else. So he lost his passion.

Old
09-06-2004, 06:00 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Um....if he was about the money, he would have continued to play and made millions more. The fact is that he simply lost passion for the game.

By the way....are you done bringing up the CFL? It seems like you keep trying to squeeze it into every post you make on just about any football-related thread.
I was just comparing Sanders to how CFL RBs play. CFL RBs are about speed and juking. NFL RBs are about power. Sanders wasn't a power guy, he was a speed guy who could turn on a dime.

And my other CFL comment was just as correct. George Reed should definetely be on this poll. Like I said, only Payton and Smith have more yards than him. He did it in the CFL, but it's back when the CFL was a better league.

BTW, you should talk to other NFL fans when you say I bring up the CFL in every football-related thread. We had Bouwmeester4 trolling in a board about a CFL video game among others, and then there were other trolls in other CFL threads. And I'm not even trolling. I just made a comparison of styles of play, and then pimped George Reed, like you have Jim Brown. I just said the CFL piece because I figured NFL trolls would write him off because he played in the CFL.

Old
09-06-2004, 06:13 PM
Dropkick Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
I was just comparing Sanders to how CFL RBs play. CFL RBs are about speed and juking. NFL RBs are about power. Sanders wasn't a power guy, he was a speed guy who could turn on a dime.

And my other CFL comment was just as correct. George Reed should definetely be on this poll. Like I said, only Payton and Smith have more yards than him. He did it in the CFL, but it's back when the CFL was a better league.

BTW, you should talk to other NFL fans when you say I bring up the CFL in every football-related thread. We had Bouwmeester4 trolling in a board about a CFL video game among others, and then there were other trolls in other CFL threads. And I'm not even trolling. I just made a comparison of styles of play, and then pimped George Reed, like you have Jim Brown. I just said the CFL piece because I figured NFL trolls would write him off because he played in the CFL.
Its the CFL, talent there is less than the NFL not matter what years it was. If he was so good he could come to the NFL and do those yards if your considering him one of ALL-TIME BESTS. Don't bring up my name either, right there it proves your trying to get me going on how bad the CFL is.

Old
09-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouwmeester4
Its the CFL, talent there is less than the NFL not matter what years it was. If he was so good he could come to the NFL and do those yards if your considering him one of ALL-TIME BESTS. Don't bring up my name either, right there it proves your trying to get me going on how bad the CFL is.
No, you were actually trolling. I'm just saying that, well, you were trolling on our CFL threads.

As for Reed, I'd say he didn't play in the NFL because back then, the CFL could pay their players like the NFL could, and, the CFL was just as competitive as the NFL back then. Some say the CFL was the better league back in the day. I wouldn't know, not having been born. I'm just saying, Reed is definetely one of the top RBs in pro football. The fact that he set the rushing record playing fullback is an even better accomplishment.

Old
09-06-2004, 06:56 PM
PhoPhan

Jim Brown was absolutely great, but he would not have dominated the way he did if he were to come to the NFL now. Before you get upset, if you look at my last post in this thread, I said he was immediately behind Sanders. However, the reason he dominated the way he did was because of
a) a huge size advantage. If you look at the players of the time, they were a lot smaller than they are today. Granted, you won't find too many running backs that come Jim Brown sized anymore, but you won't find too many linebackers much smaller.
b) change of the game. The game has evolved to involve more scheming, which slows down guys like Jim Brown.

Old
09-06-2004, 07:45 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Sanders....wish I could of seen Brown run.

Old
09-06-2004, 08:03 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
The CFL sucks.It doesn't come close to the NFL.Anyway,Jim Brown is and will always be the best.

(Syracuse turns out some damn good backs,don't they?Jim Brown,Ernie Davis,Larry Csonka,possibly Walter Reyes)

Old
09-06-2004, 08:27 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
The CFL sucks.It doesn't come close to the NFL.Anyway,Jim Brown is and will always be the best.

(Syracuse turns out some damn good backs,don't they?Jim Brown,Ernie Davis,Larry Csonka,possibly Walter Reyes)
No Floyd Little?

Old
09-06-2004, 08:53 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Brown

Add Franco Harris

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
09-06-2004, 09:06 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

jim brown hands freaking down...

he played 8 or 9 seasons i forget, 12 and 14 game seasons, i remember if you projected out his stats to a 16-game season, he would have had 17,000 yards...in less than a decade...it's brown

Old
09-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Foppa

Brown...yeah, we can talk about hypothetical situations all day. But the fact is, he dominated the game unlike any other running back in history.

Sanders would not be that far off...he's the legend of my childhood that I'll be telling my grandkids about someday. But Brown was the best.

Add Gale Sayers next. The most graceful running back ever...and a KU grad!

Old
09-06-2004, 10:31 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Although this article is now 7 years old, I found an excellent (I don't use that word too often) article about the best running back ever debate:

http://texnews.com/sports97/tedcol122497.html

Absolutely great read. Dismisses the overrated backs in football history, and explains in great detail what makes a running back great.

(Hint: Just using career rushing yards is a horrible way of judging who the best backs in history are....it's possibly one of the most decieving stats in football.)

Old
09-06-2004, 10:41 PM
loveshack2

For me it's Jim Brown followed closely by Walter Payton. Although Sanders and Simpson are certainly good choices as well. Hopefully one day Tominlinson will be able to have his name mentioned among this group, but that day is not today.

Old
09-06-2004, 10:57 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Heck, I'm going to throw out my top 10 backs of all-time right now. The lines are meant to represent what I consider to be the different tiers.....Brown being at a level all on his own.

1. Jim Brown- Had it all....probably the best athlete in general to ever grace the sport in general.
--------------------
2. Walter Payton- Not as athletic as Sanders or Simpson, but made up for it with effort. Great blocker, and one of the best recieving backs in addition to his already upper-level running power and ability.
3. Barry Sanders- Probably the best pure-runner ever, but lacking in all the other aspects a back is involved in. There is a reason Sanders never played on a great, or even decent team.
4. OJ Simpson- Very underrated. Because of his dark reputation? Maybe, but who knows.
--------------------
5. Emmitt Smith- Product of what was an amazing offensive line and great offense in general. Easily the slowest back on this list.
6. Gale Sayers- Great runner, but was fragile.
7. Eric Dickerson- Good runner, but again lacks many of the other aspects that a back has.
--------------------
8. Earl Campbell
9. Tony Dorsett
10. Marcus Allen

Old
09-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Unholy Diver

Jim Brown

add Tony Dorsett

Old
09-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Dropkick Alex

Alot of people here never saw Brown play including myself but if you ever get to see some old highlights...

Old
09-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Jim Brown > All

Barry Sanders dad has been saying for years...when someone's dad(whose seen him play) says your son is not better than another HOFer, that's saying something

Old
09-06-2004, 11:20 PM
Dropkick Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
Jim Brown > All

Barry Sanders dad has been saying for years...when someone's dad(whose seen him play) says your son is not better than another HOFer, that's saying something
My dads friend's dad faced against Jim Brown in High School. He tried to tackle him and Jim Brown carried him 47 yards into the endzone.

Old
09-07-2004, 10:27 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Jim Brown was the best running back to ever play the game IMO. After that...

Sanders
O.J.
Walter Payton
Emmit Smith
Earl Campbell
Gaye Sayers
Marcus Allen (could have been the best if not for Al Davis)
Thurman Thomas
Erik Dickerson.

Old
09-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Although this article is now 7 years old, I found an excellent (I don't use that word too often) article about the best running back ever debate:

http://texnews.com/sports97/tedcol122497.html
From your article regarding Sanders:

Quote:
As far as running with the football, he may be the best ever.
That's pretty much how I feel. If I'm calling a running play, it's Sanders hands-down in my book. Watching that guy run for a 1-yard gain could be the most exciting thing to do on any given Sunday afternoon in the fall.

Old
09-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
1. Jim Brown- Had it all....probably the best athlete in general to ever grace the sport in general.
--------------------
2. Walter Payton- Not as athletic as Sanders or Simpson, but made up for it with effort. Great blocker, and one of the best recieving backs in addition to his already upper-level running power and ability.
3. Barry Sanders- Probably the best pure-runner ever, but lacking in all the other aspects a back is involved in. There is a reason Sanders never played on a great, or even decent team.
4. OJ Simpson- Very underrated. Because of his dark reputation? Maybe, but who knows.
--------------------
5. Emmitt Smith- Product of what was an amazing offensive line and great offense in general. Easily the slowest back on this list.
6. Gale Sayers- Great runner, but was fragile.
7. Eric Dickerson- Good runner, but again lacks many of the other aspects that a back has.
--------------------
8. Earl Campbell
9. Tony Dorsett
10. Marcus Allen

I like your list, just not the order...

Specifically, it sounds like you and I are of a like mind regarding Emmitt Smith, specifically his overrated-ness. Would you take him before Marcus Allen given Allen's nearly obscene versatility? Not me.

Old
09-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Dropkick Alex

Alrite Im making the number 2 poll.

Closed Thread