HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers Interested in Cody Franson

Old
11-02-2011, 06:03 PM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
What' does Toronto need?
A Stanley Cup...

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
There's 3 options, Zuccarello who produces but is small. Then there's Wojtek Wolski who's got skills but is wildly inconsistent. Personally I believe it's more of a lack of skating then a lack of effort. He comes with a hefty cap hit at 3.8m. Option 3 is Erik Christensen who does everything well, skate, shoot, pass, etc. however needs some depression medication because the guy has zero confidence. When he's confident, he's scoring when he's not, he's invisible.

So if you ask me, with the exception of salary, Wolski is the most like Franson, because they both have skill, but sucketh at skating which will expose them as a defensive liability. Trade them up and figure out the cap, neither of these clubs care about the money.
If we're getting Wolski, you're taking Komisarek not Franson.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
So Anisimov IS up for grabs then seeing as he looks a bit lost THIS YEAR? Or are only non-Leafs players, young ones especially allowed to struggle?
The difference between Anisimov and Franson is pretty clear; the former excelled when given large minutes. He was matched up against the opposing team's best lines very often, given his excellent defensive game. He doesn't get sheltered minutes, he's just an inconsistent offensive player; he realizes this, though. He had 44 points last year, and an article was released where he said he was disappointed with his season, where most of us were very, very pleased with his overall development. He has high expectations for himself, and he's a talented player. There's a LOT of upside there. Even if he doesn't hit that upside, he's still a 2B center, and one of the best 3rd line centers in the league. Also, he's been playing better as of late. He was very, very good against the Sharks and scored a sick backhand goal.

With Franson, you had him playing sheltered minutes under a strict defensive system in Nashville. He's got a lot of positives in his game; talented, amazing wrist shot, good passer, great size, solid skater. However, his deficiencies outweigh his positives. He doesn't use his size to his advantage at all, he's terrible positionally, not very smart when the puck is on his stick, and just looks flat out lost at times in the defensive zone. If he could figure out how to use his size more, he could become a Bryan McCabe type player. Mediocre defensively, big offensive weapon. I don't see him ever being anything more than a liability in his own end, however. He just doesn't seem to understand that side of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Komisarek is a #6 defenseman making $4.5M for the next 3 years. He has a NMC. Wolski is an inconsistent offensive winger making $3.8M for one more year.

While Wolski isn't exactly an attractive piece, he's much, much, much better and more valuable than Komisarek, who is one of the worst "bang for your buck" players in the league.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
That value isn't even remotely close. Wolski is essentially a rental. Komisarek you are stuck with

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:05 PM
beastly115

Quote:
What' does Toronto need?
Haven't you been keeping tally? They need Kreider, Stepan, Thomas, Dubinsky, and now Anisimov.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:11 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
That value isn't even remotely close. Wolski is essentially a rental. Komisarek you are stuck with
The difference is, Toronto can use Komisarek and they don't need the cap space. If they did, they could get rid of him, one way or another. Wolski is just a third line forward who will likely do nothing to help the team. Why trade Franson, who hasn't had a real chance yet, for him?

Old
11-02-2011, 06:12 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Anisimov isn't available. Nor are we trying to trade him. And if we did, his value currently is at a low because of it. See where I'm going with this?
At least Anisimov can make the line up though. He's not struggling to do that.
I get that. But dont say Franson lacks value cause he struggle this year and at the same time say Anisimov is off limits despite him struggle a bit this year. Same rules should apply to both players seeing as talent wise and past accomplishments they are about equal. A current 4th liner with 2nd line potential and a couple of NHL seasons under his belt for a current 6-7th d-man with 2nd pairing potential and a couple of NHL seasons under his belt sounds about equal to me. That Anisimov have been with your organization for some time and due to that have a higher value to you then Franson who arrived to Toronto this summer have to me should be something we should be able to put aside.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:13 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
What' does Toronto need?
What Toronto needs in the NHL, Franson won't get them.

I really can't think of a deal between the Rangers and the Leafs, involving Franson, that would make sense from both sides..

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

He isn't worth very much to be honest.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:17 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
I get that. But dont say Franson lacks value cause he struggle this year and at the same time say Anisimov is off limits despite him struggle a bit this year. Same rules should apply to both players seeing as talent wise and past accomplishments they are about equal. A current 4th liner with 2nd line potential and a couple of NHL seasons under his belt for a current 6-7th d-man with 2nd pairing potential and a couple of NHL seasons under his belt sounds about equal to me. That Anisimov have been with your organization for some time and due to that have a higher value to you then Franson who arrived to Toronto this summer have to me should be something we should be able to put aside.
Look at the roles each are asked to play.

Anisimov got tons of PK time and was matched up against the opposing teams' top players. He's a defensive center, primarily.

Franson got sheltered minutes, playing PP with almost no PK time at all (6 seconds per game on average).

Quote:
The difference is, Toronto can use Komisarek and they don't need the cap space. If they did, they could get rid of him, one way or another. Wolski is just a third line forward who will likely do nothing to help the team. Why trade Franson, who hasn't had a real chance yet, for him?
Wolski just got back from his groin injury.
He's been playing great on our 1B line Wolski-Stepan-Gaborik (1A being Dubinsky-Richards-Callahan).

Wolski is not a bottom 6 forward. He's either top 6 or, well, just keep him in the press box.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:19 PM
khennig16*
Bikini Inspector

Quote:
Anisimov isn't available. Nor are we trying to trade him. And if we did, his value currently is at a low because of it. See where I'm going with this?
At least Anisimov can make the line up though. He's not struggling to do that.
Read the title
"Rangers interested in Cody Franson"
NOT
'Leafs interest in trading Cody Franson"

Franson played okay in his first game, struggled in his last two. That doesn't mean his value gets split in half, hes still young and is just caught behind depth.
Honestly you guys are offering your ****, Zuccarello, Christensen, Wolski. We dont want them, nor do we need them. Like i said before, well stick with our depth at defense, and you guys can stick with having only 5 capable nhl defenders on yours.

khennig16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:22 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Wolski just got back from his groin injury.
He's been playing great on our 1B line Wolski-Stepan-Gaborik (1A being Dubinsky-Richards-Callahan).

Wolski is not a bottom 6 forward. He's either top 6 or, well, just keep him in the press box.
I totally agree, which is why I wouldn't trade anything but a cap dump for him. He can't crack Toronto's top six, he isn't a natural fit elsewhere in the lineup, and he's expensive. It'd be great to see him turn his career around, but I wouldn't want to take a chance on him.

What I meant to say is that he's outside of Toronto's top six, so a third line forward in Toronto.

Old
11-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:
What' does Toronto need?
Honestly, there is no real position of need right now other than upgrades at two key positions, a #2 Defenseman to play alongside Phaneuf and a 1st line LW to play on the top line with Connolly and Kessel. You can throw #1 centre up there as well I guess, but Connolly has looked to turn the corner and be a fringe #1 C. Gunarsson and Lupul have performed admirably for us so far in these roles, but I feel that they would be better in lesser roles (2nd line for Lupul, #3-#4 D for Gunarsson).

Now obviously Franson alone would not get such players. Fransons value would be best served in a package deal. Trading him alone right now would not bring us back anything useful. That's why Leafs fans scoff at the idea of trading Franson for a 3rd or some random bottom sixer. Obiously he's not worth a top prospect like Kreider, but honestly, unless it's a deal that brings back something that helps us now and in the near future or a deal that knocks Burkes socks off, Franson won't be traded. Not because he's an untouchable, but because it makes no sense to trade him.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:23 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by khennig16 View Post
Read the title
NOT

Franson played okay in his first game, struggled in his last two. That doesn't mean his value gets split in half, hes still young and is just caught behind depth.
Honestly you guys are offering your ****, Zuccarello, Christensen, Wolski. We dont want them, nor do we need them. Like i said before, well stick with our depth at defense, and you guys can stick with having only 5 capable nhl defenders on yours.
Zuccarello is lighting up the AHL more than Kadri ever did, so I'm not really sure what your point is there. He's a good prospect.

Franson frankly isn't much better than Eminger defensively. His main use to us would be getting Girardi or McDonagh off the point on the PP so their minutes aren't as big.

Old
11-02-2011, 06:25 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
I totally agree, which is why I wouldn't trade anything but a cap dump for him. He can't crack Toronto's top six, he isn't a natural fit elsewhere in the lineup, and he's expensive. It'd be great to see him turn his career around, but I wouldn't want to take a chance on him.

What I meant to say is that he's outside of Toronto's top six, so a third line forward in Toronto.
We're not really interested in trading him, like I said earlier. He's been playing great so far. Gaborik needs the kind of talent Wolski brings on his line.

Old
11-02-2011, 06:26 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
In Nashville the entire team plays a particular system that is predicated on whole team defence, Nashville also has a reputation of drafting and developing good defencemen, and finally most people making those offers only saw Franson play 1 or 2 times since Nashville isn't a highly televised team but did read the stat lines and saw a big young kid who put up some points. In most of those older threads, Nashville fans would have gladly taken a 2nd for Franson, so that gives a little insight to what locals thought of him.

Now that Franson is in a very public market and in a different system people are suddenly becoming aware of his short-comings. I'll assume that you're a leafs fan because of the "we're victims" mentality that shows up on this site all too often, so being a Leafs fan you have seen Franson play (all 3 games so far) what would you give up for a player with similar ability?

If Franson is moved, his value will be that of a 6th/7th dman so my guess would be a mid tier prospect and a 3rd or later pick. If his value to the Leafs is more then that then TO should keep him.
So people only saw him "1 or 2 times before" yet he's now in a more public market where people have seen him at most "all" of "3 games so far" and you feel this has given them a more educated opinion of him?

I may have some swamp land, if you're interested. By the by, any idea where he's been playing?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:31 PM
khennig16*
Bikini Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Zuccarello is lighting up the AHL more than Kadri ever did, so I'm not really sure what your point is there. He's a good prospect.

Franson frankly isn't much better than Eminger defensively. His main use to us would be getting Girardi or McDonagh off the point on the PP so their minutes aren't as big.
5 points in 4 games?
Unless that is out-dated stats on hockeydb you got to be ****ing joking me lol?

Kadri is 5 points under being a ppg player in the A - 41 pts in 46 games total
Zuccs is 6 points under being a ppg player in the A - 34 pts in 40 games total

& hes also 3 years older then Naz, but yeah hes definatley lighting up the AHL more than Kadri ever will , watch out for this guy!! wooo

Last edited by khennig16*: 11-02-2011 at 06:48 PM.
khennig16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:21 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
See Zenith's post, he summarized it perfectly. You are comparing apples and oranges, and looking at things in a vacuum and situations equally, but in reality it doesn't work that way. Anisimov is a defensive forward who, while playing on the 4th line currently, normally plays with both Dubinsky and Callahan, as well. It's clear as day you haven't ever watched Anisimov play.

All players are not created equal, sorry.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:30 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by khennig16 View Post
Read the title
NOT

Franson is a capable NHL defender? Could have fooled me....

"Played ok, struggled in last two" - wow, my mistake, that right there is a player with sky high value - lets trade lundqvist for this guy!

The Rangers aren't going to be offering anything of value for a guy who would be a 6/7 defender and, by all accounts, isn't very capable at doing that job. I said it before, Rangers and Leafs aren't good trading partners.

And nothing in that article said that the Rangers are interested in Franson. It says that the two teams have had talks, and that he's available. So clearly, they would like to trade him for something.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:12 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Franson is a capable NHL defender? Could have fooled me....

"Played ok, struggled in last two" - wow, my mistake, that right there is a player with sky high value - lets trade lundqvist for this guy!

The Rangers aren't going to be offering anything of value for a guy who would be a 6/7 defender and, by all accounts, isn't very capable at doing that job. I said it before, Rangers and Leafs aren't good trading partners.

And nothing in that article said that the Rangers are interested in Franson. It says that the two teams have had talks, and that he's available. So clearly, they would like to trade him for something.
Everyone's available.

Old
11-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Everyone's available.
Players that aren't very good and have little value (like Franson) tend to be available more often than not, however.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:28 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Players that aren't very good and have little value (like Franson) tend to be available more often than not, however.
How often has he been "available"?

Old
11-02-2011, 08:28 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

I'll take MZA, if he fails on the leafs, we got a solid piece for the marlies for a calder cup run.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:29 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Seems to have been since last year with Nashville. I mean, they traded him so they could dump salary in Lombardi (boy, that deal looks AWFUL in retrospect, doesn't it?).

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Players that are "good" and have "value" aren't used in trades like he was. He was not in Nashville's plan. Toronto took a flyer on him. He is now riding the pine and enjoying the pressbox. Clearly that means he has no real value.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote