HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers Interested in Cody Franson

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-02-2011, 10:24 PM
  #301
baton elevated
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 158
vCash: 500
No need to trade him now if the deal doesn't meet TO's needs. He will be worth double at trade deadline.

baton elevated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:40 PM
  #302
vezna*
Canada's Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 8,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He was a throw in. He's a healthy scratch as of right now. The only value he has is for a C or so level prospect and a mid round pick. How could you possibly think he has any value whatsoever? What has he done other than suck for the most part? I mean, he sucks so much that he can't even suck on the ice right now.

This is a spare part #7 d-man. He is almost waiver fodder. If he were not regarded highly a few years back, he'd already of been on waivers.

I just don't get how any Leafs fan thinks this guy has actual value. I can understand how some are saying it's stupid to trade him because of that. But I don't see how anyone can think he has legitimate, real value.
yes, he has value. just because you can't look past your own team doesn't mean there's no team out there who can't use a guy like franson.

we don't have to trade him for crap. he's a good backup when injuries start to hit. you said it yourself, if he has no value right now why trade him. #buyhighselllow

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:44 PM
  #303
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
yes, he has value. just because you can't look past your own team doesn't mean there's no team out there who can't use a guy like franson.

we don't have to trade him for crap. he's a good backup when injuries start to hit. you said it yourself, if he has no value right now why trade him. #buyhighselllow
There is no team out there that would give up much of value. As I said, perhaps a middling prospect, etc. That's about all you'd get for a guy who can hardly get out of the pressbox.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:50 PM
  #304
Gutless
Registered User
 
Gutless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
There is no team out there that would give up much of value. As I said, perhaps a middling prospect, etc. That's about all you'd get for a guy who can hardly get out of the pressbox.
A middling prospect will get you a young NHL defenceman with potential to grow into a top 4 defender who does well on the PP?

Good one.

Gutless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:53 PM
  #305
vezna*
Canada's Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 8,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless View Post
A middling prospect will get you a young NHL defenceman with potential to grow into a top 4 defender who does well on the PP?

Good one.
Burke makes those trades allllll the time

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:55 PM
  #306
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf
 
Spazmatic Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chatham, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,061
vCash: 500
I don't see why the Leafs move Franson for most of the Rangers' offers in this thread. Not saying Sather would offer more, just that I don't see the benefit from a Leafs perspective.

Franson's probably more valauble as a #7 depth defender to Toronto than a middle of the road type prospect would be.

That said, getting another Thomas in the blue and white would be too tempting for your average fan (me included) to pass up.

I don't see Franson being moved until maybe mid-season, unless Burke decides he's completely not fitting in here and moves him to give him a chance to play elsewhere). Franson hasn't been good but he hasn't been given much of a chance yet (mostly because we have a lot of right side defenders and a lack of footspeed in the defense can be deadly with Wilson's pinching - especially when Franson is on the wrong side paired with another slower guy in Komisarek).

Spazmatic Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:58 PM
  #307
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless View Post
A middling prospect will get you a young NHL defenceman with potential to grow into a top 4 defender who does well on the PP?

Good one.
Actually, I guess all it takes is a cruddy d-man (Lebda) and a terrible prospect (Slaney). I guess the Rangers wouldn't even need to move a half decent prospect.

Jeff Woywitka and Jason Wilson should do it.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:03 PM
  #308
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He was a throw in. He's a healthy scratch as of right now. The only value he has is for a C or so level prospect and a mid round pick. How could you possibly think he has any value whatsoever? What has he done other than suck for the most part? I mean, he sucks so much that he can't even suck on the ice right now.

This is a spare part #7 d-man. He is almost waiver fodder. If he were not regarded highly a few years back, he'd already of been on waivers.

I just don't get how any Leafs fan thinks this guy has actual value. I can understand how some are saying it's stupid to trade him because of that. But I don't see how anyone can think he has legitimate, real value.
Because he's proven he can play in the league. Puts up points. Is a plus player. Has good size. Has a great contract. And is only 24, so he;s still improving.

Simply put he has more value to the Leafs as an injury replacement then as a giveaway for spare parts. The Leafs will just keep him.

80 8 21 29 30pim +10

Playoffs
12 1 5 6

Those are good enough. But hey I listened to every Tom, Dick, and Harry around here say how Beuchmien had no value. Kaberle had no value. etc. Burke's track record speaks loudly -- he won't move an asset unless he gets something of value in return.

I suspect if he is dealt to the Rangers. Rangers fans will eat crow like Bruins fans and the Kaberle deal. Not that he has that type of value BUT he will fetch something.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:05 PM
  #309
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Actually, I guess all it takes is a cruddy d-man (Lebda) and a terrible prospect (Slaney). I guess the Rangers wouldn't even need to move a half decent prospect.

Jeff Woywitka and Jason Wilson should do it.
If he's so terrible -- why do you want him?

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:06 PM
  #310
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf
 
Spazmatic Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chatham, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Actually, I guess all it takes is a cruddy d-man (Lebda) and a terrible prospect (Slaney). I guess the Rangers wouldn't even need to move a half decent prospect.

Jeff Woywitka and Jason Wilson should do it.
Maybe, but only if the Leafs can move an unwanted contract the way Nashville did. Keep in mind Poile isn't an idiot. Nobody thought Lombardi would be playing yet.

Unfortunately for this idea, the Leafs can afford to waste cash and bury Finger.

Spazmatic Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:08 PM
  #311
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Actually, I guess all it takes is a cruddy d-man (Lebda) and a terrible prospect (Slaney). I guess the Rangers wouldn't even need to move a half decent prospect.

Jeff Woywitka and Jason Wilson should do it.
You do realize how valuable it was for Nashville to dump Lombardi's contract, right?


Last edited by JeffMangum: 11-02-2011 at 11:14 PM.
seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:11 PM
  #312
I am Canadian
Swedes + Leafs =
 
I am Canadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Theres really nothing realistic.. NYR wouldn't move anything that would upgrade the leafs top 6 ... Leafs already have enough 3rd liners so that doesn't work either. Im not sure if Burke would even take a pick.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:16 PM
  #313
vezna*
Canada's Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 8,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
If he's so terrible -- why do you want him?
because his insults are obviously lowering franson's value into non-existence

i don't understand why he thinks burke would just give away a dman to help out another east team

people are forgetting it's the rags who NEED to make a trade. not us. just take a look at the standings.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:23 PM
  #314
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?
 
RangerBlue62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
Dubinsky? Callahan? Anisimov? Stepan? Kreider? Thomas?

This guy is a healthy scratch on Toronto. Nothing more than a mid-prospect or a 3rd round pick coming back. Sorry.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:23 PM
  #315
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
 
hairylikebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
because his insults are obviously lowering franson's value into non-existence

i don't understand why he thinks burke would just give away a dman to help out another east team

people are forgetting it's the rags who NEED to make a trade. not us. just take a look at the standings.
The Rangers are interested in Cody Franson because of how little it would take to acquire him. Neither team needs to make that particular trade.

The Leafs would benefit just as much from a trade because at the moment because they would replace a currently useless player for an asset they could use to acquire someone better.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:26 PM
  #316
vezna*
Canada's Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 8,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
The Rangers are interested in Cody Franson because of how little it would take to acquire him. Neither team needs to make that particular trade.

The Leafs would benefit just as much from a trade because at the moment because they would replace a currently useless player for an asset they could use to acquire someone better.
burke likes depth in the blueline. i can't repeat this enough. just because franson's available doesn't mean burke is rushing to trade this guy.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:35 PM
  #317
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
 
hairylikebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
24 year old defensemen are not "depth." A depth player needs to be prepared to play well and maintain focus despite long stretches without NHL game action. For that, you need a veteran. The Leafs can utilize the free roster spot and trade for a genuine "depth" player if they lose Franson.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 05:50 AM
  #318
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
Can someone explain to me that if Franson is capable of putting up points and a potential top 4 d-man, why he isn't on the Leafs starting lineup? Surely a player with such potential would be playing over a guy like Komisarek.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:08 AM
  #319
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Can someone explain to me that if Franson is capable of putting up points and a potential top 4 d-man, why he isn't on the Leafs starting lineup? Surely a player with such potential would be playing over a guy like Komisarek.
Been trying to figure that out all thread. I think it's because he's on the leafs active roster.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:18 AM
  #320
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,114
vCash: 500
Komi was +3 last night and +5 on the year, I doubt Franson's seeing the ice anytime soon. Luke is struggling but I can't imagine Wilson sitting him, his confidence is already low. I'm pretty sure Franson is not happy right now, he talked about being a top 4 D this year and now he can't even break the starting lineup.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:44 AM
  #321
dubplatepressure
Registered User
 
dubplatepressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
Dubinsky? Callahan? Anisimov? Stepan? Kreider? Thomas?

This guy is a healthy scratch on Toronto. Nothing more than a mid-prospect or a 3rd round pick coming back. Sorry.
Exactly. And that's why Franson won't be a Ranger.

/thread

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 06:48 AM
  #322
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Can someone explain to me that if Franson is capable of putting up points and a potential top 4 d-man, why he isn't on the Leafs starting lineup? Surely a player with such potential would be playing over a guy like Komisarek.
He's lacklustre defensively, and Toronto has Gardiner / Liles playing on the 2nd/3rd pair who are primarily offensive guys.

Furthermore, Burke is a) stubborn as a mule, and b) seems unwilling to admit the mistake he made on Komisarek.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:03 AM
  #323
dubplatepressure
Registered User
 
dubplatepressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Komi was +3 last night and +5 on the year, I doubt Franson's seeing the ice anytime soon. Luke is struggling but I can't imagine Wilson sitting him, his confidence is already low. I'm pretty sure Franson is not happy right now, he talked about being a top 4 D this year and now he can't even break the starting lineup.
Yah.... and what's your point? By your own words our D is playing much better than anticipated, hense his position right now. That doesn't mean he isn't and won't be needed.

For the record - it's not that Franson can't break the lineup. He could slot in anywhere from 4-6 right now and do well. Wilson et. all are trying not to screw with a lineup that's found early season success while the entire organization is walking on egg shells terrified of another 10-game slide.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:08 AM
  #324
dubplatepressure
Registered User
 
dubplatepressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
He's lacklustre defensively, and Toronto has Gardiner / Liles playing on the 2nd/3rd pair who are primarily offensive guys.

Furthermore, Burke is a) stubborn as a mule, and b) seems unwilling to admit the mistake he made on Komisarek.
Could you even try to be more short-sighted?

Komisarek is playing his best hockey as a leaf, is now +5 with 3 pts, and plays a physical shut-down role that is needed. With Liles, Gardiner and Gunnar the leafs need him to be a physical presence, and he has been. Removing one of Liles, Gardiner and Gunnar aren't options for Burke, and rightfully so, and replacing Schenn or Komi with Franson would be significant downgrade in the truculence department on our blue line.

Hense. He. Is. The. Odd. Man. Out.

Franson was +25 in his first 2 years with Nashville. Just because you checked hockeydb and saw he's -3 in 3 games this year doesn't mean anything. Soft? Yes, you can say he is soft. But lackluster? Lebda was lackluster.

Get it right.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:21 AM
  #325
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Could you even try to be more short-sighted?

Komisarek is playing his best hockey as a leaf, is now +5 with 3 pts, and plays a physical shut-down role that is needed. With Liles, Gardiner and Gunnar the leafs need him to be a physical presence, and he has been. Removing one of Liles, Gardiner and Gunnar aren't options for Burke, and rightfully so, and replacing Schenn or Komi with Franson would be significant downgrade in the truculence department on our blue line.

Hense. He. Is. The. Odd. Man. Out.

Franson was +25 in his first 2 years with Nashville. Just because you checked hockeydb and saw he's -3 in 3 games this year doesn't mean anything. Soft? Yes, you can say he is soft. But lackluster? Lebda was lackluster.

Get it right.
Yes he is -- but that doesn't mean Komi deserved to be in around game 5&6 when he wasn't playing his best hockey. Burke's stubbornness is what kept giving Komisarek opportunities, contributing to why Franson isn't in the lineup (in addition to being the wrong fit in place of Komi).

Franson is lacklustre defensively. He was +25 in Nashville because he played bottom-of-the-lineup minutes. Lebda wasn't lacklustre, he was terrible.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.