HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tampa-NJ proposal

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2004, 11:38 AM
DownFromNJ

vCash: 500
Tampa-NJ proposal

To Tampa: Ivan Khomutov (7C), 05 3rd round pick

To NJ: Matt Smaby (7B)

Tampa Bay is very deep in defenseman, but short on smaller skill/finese players and centers. NJ is very deep on centers, but short on defenseman. Smaby is a big, fierce guy that the Devils organization lacks. In addition, he goes to North Dakota, Lou's favorite developemental NCAA program.

Old
09-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
I think Khomutov for Smaby straight-up is pretty fair, or a lower pick.

Old
09-06-2004, 01:58 PM
clawdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownFromNJ
To Tampa: Ivan Khomutov (7C), 05 3rd round pick

To NJ: Matt Smaby (7B)

Tampa Bay is very deep in defenseman, but short on smaller skill/finese players and centers. NJ is very deep on centers, but short on defenseman. Smaby is a big, fierce guy that the Devils organization lacks. In addition, he goes to North Dakota, Lou's favorite developemental NCAA program.
Tampa as a rule doesn't like smaller skill/finese players. St. Louis and Perrin are exceptions to the rule and were acquired at little or no cost. Tampa won't trade big prospects for small prospects. Even historically under previous regimes Tampa has subscribed to that philosophy. I easily would've taken Samsanov ahead of Mara in '97.

Old
09-06-2004, 02:00 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawdad
Tampa as a rule doesn't like smaller skill/finese players. St. Louis and Perrin are exceptions to the rule and were acquired at little or no cost. Tampa won't trade big prospects for small prospects. Even historically under previous regimes Tampa has subscribed to that philosophy. I easily would've taken Samsanov ahead of Mara in '97.
Khomutov is 6-3, 205lbs. He's in no way small/finesse.

Old
09-06-2004, 02:02 PM
DownFromNJ

He's skill/finesse, and big. Thats why I thought Tampa would like him

Old
09-06-2004, 02:18 PM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Its fair, pretty good proposal but I don't think Tampa Bay would do it, they love big strong stay at home defensemen as you can see with the picks of Smaby, Mike Egener and Aaron Rogers in the last 2 drafts.

The value is fair though IMO.

Old
09-06-2004, 03:50 PM
clawdad

Sorry, I misread your post slightly, so I didn't check out the numbers on Khomutov. He's a good looking prospect and the 3rd is tempting since our '05 2nd and another pick or two have already been traded.

However, I still don't think the deal makes sense for TB. #1. The Lightning appear to be taking a quality and quantity approach to their D. Sydor is in his 30's. Lukowich and Kubina got their eggs scrambled in the playoffs making one wonder how long they will hold up in the future. If you've seen Sarich's face regularly the last couple of years, he gets it involved often. Pratt proved a solid 3rd pair guy, but has no upside. The Lightning are susceptible to having to replace several d'men in 3 years time. On the other hand, LeCavalier and Richards are young and in the new CBA are considered "franchise" players that the Lightning figure to hold on to. If the salary constraints are tight under the new CBA, top 2 line forwards, top 2 pair d'men and top goalies will get all the $. 3rd & 4th line forwards will be abundant in the market on a yearly basis. Khomutov's a chance top 2 line winger. Smaby's perhaps a better chance top 4 d'man. Market wise, I'll stick with Smaby.

Old
09-06-2004, 08:58 PM
LastoftheBrunnenG

Seems fair to me...Khomutov could probably move to wing. Ultimately, I wouldn't bite for some of the reasons clawdad brought up. If the Bolts need more skill upfront, I think they will wait until they really need to fill the spot instead of speculating they will need to. I think Feaster's plan is to have a bunch on desired and developed defensemen and then be in a position of strength to pick and choose the player he thinks will fit because most teams are looking for big, young, mobile d-men.

Old
09-07-2004, 09:31 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastoftheBrunnenG
I think Feaster's plan is to have a bunch of desired and developed defensemen and then be in a position of strength to pick and choose the player he thinks will fit because most teams are looking for big, young, mobile d-men.
That seems to be his line of reasoning, but I agree that it's an interesting and very fair trade.

Old
09-08-2004, 02:18 PM
Timmy1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastoftheBrunnenG
I think Feaster's plan is to have a bunch on desired and developed defensemen and then be in a position of strength to pick and choose the player he thinks will fit because most teams are looking for big, young, mobile d-men.
I agree with this also because Feaster's main draft focus has been around defensemen for the past couple of years now. Maybe not all of them will develop as hoped so he doesn't need to trade one right away. If a majority of them do then they are worth more if they are NHL ready as opposed to prospects. However, I can't comment on the deal because I don't know anything about the Devils' player.

Old
09-08-2004, 06:25 PM
Falon

I doubt the Devils would do it because they don't have a ton of size among the forwards either. If they trade someone it will most likely be Ahonen as he is wasting away in Jersey and the devils have plenty of backup options.

Old
09-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
I don't think NJ would do it. They didn't sign Khomutov for nothing. I think Lou liked what he has in Khomuotv. A big, physical forward that is leaks offense waiting to burst out. Khomutov is also excellent defensivly. Hunters like him, I am sure Lou and Burns will like him.

Closed Thread