HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eklund Rumours Thread: Enter at your own risk v2.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2012, 08:58 PM
habfaninvictoria

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I hate to break it to you, but high-priced, stay-at-home dmen, who don't phyically dominate.... and average between 10-18pts a year... aren't hard to replace.
Really....
If he were made available EVERY team would want him.
Good contract
Elite shot blocker
Team leader

Old
06-01-2012, 09:09 PM
habsfan92

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Go ask the Devils how valuable Anton Volchenkov is for them.
See if they would trade Volchenkov for Gorges straight up. I am betting they wouldn't.
AV is a better skater, bigger, stronger, and more physical. Sorry.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
I hate to break it to you, but high-priced, stay-at-home dmen, who don't phyically dominate.... and average between 10-18pts a year... aren't hard to replace.
From a hockey standpoint, you look at the positives that come with the negatives. What you said is completely accurate, however you left out a few details. A stay-at-home defenseman leading his team in +/- while they are dead last is a very good starting point. Leading the entire league in blocked shots is another. The fact that he gives his 100% and plays well every night is also a good thing.

You need leaders in the dressing room to be a winning organization. On this defensive core, which is seemingly young with Subban, Diaz, Emelin, Weber and Tinordi, Beaulieu and Ellis knocking on the door in the near future, you need someone who can help lead these guys and teach them the ways. Gill is gone, Markov is running on his final years, so who's left? How about the guy that can teach the youth how to add solid defensive work to their game?

In terms of contract, he's absolutely overpaid. However his worth to the team is about right.

Old
06-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Really....
If he were made available EVERY team would want him.
Good contract
Elite shot blocker
Team leader
Sure they would, shut down dmen are always in demand, although his salary may scare the odd team away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
From a hockey standpoint, you look at the positives that come with the negatives. What you said is completely accurate, however you left out a few details. A stay-at-home defenseman leading his team in +/- while they are dead last is a very good starting point. Leading the entire league in blocked shots is another. The fact that he gives his 100% and plays well every night is also a good thing.

You need leaders in the dressing room to be a winning organization. On this defensive core, which is seemingly young with Subban, Diaz, Emelin, Weber and Tinordi, Beaulieu and Ellis knocking on the door in the near future, you need someone who can help lead these guys and teach them the ways. Gill is gone, Markov is running on his final years, so who's left? How about the guy that can teach the youth how to add solid defensive work to their game?

In terms of contract, he's absolutely overpaid. However his worth to the team is about right.
Yeah, I'll agree with this. I'm trying to take the emotion out of it, and look at it from a hockey standpoint, that's all. I don' think it's fair to call him an 'elite shot blocker' as others have noted, until he has done so for a few more years. His totals were a lot higher this year than normal.

Anyways, it's not like I wanted Gorges gone, I just think he's overrated by a lot of people here.

Old
06-02-2012, 03:33 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Sure they would, shut down dmen are always in demand, although his salary may scare the odd team away.
ok...

they're easy to replace...

but

they're always in demand...

Yup, makes sense...

Old
06-02-2012, 03:54 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
Leaders matter, the guy is the next Captain. It's the on-Ice Coach!!! Shh, if that gets out French will became a pre-requisite for that also.
Leader of a 28th place team, though.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:11 AM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Nice contribution there Kimota, did you watch any games this season? Gorges was the first line d-man for a reason, he's an asset and at good value. It doesn't matter where we ended up in the standings, he's still a top-pairing d-man.

Old
06-02-2012, 07:25 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
You're right. We should trade away Price, Coles, Patches and PK. They also suck because they play on a 28th placed team, right?

Old
06-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
You're right. We should trade away Price, Coles, Patches and PK. They also suck because they play on a 28th placed team, right?
Parise Brodeur and co also because they sucked ass last year.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan92 View Post
See if they would trade Volchenkov for Gorges straight up. I am betting they wouldn't.
and he plays 16 minutes a game. Less than Fayne and greene! They would trade volchenkov + for gorges who brings the most of the same things to the table (minus punishing hits) but with more minute crunching. Not to mention that this guy is a playoff performer. Warriors like him always bring their game to another level when needed.

Every team would take gorges, with his current contract, and he'd be playing in the top 4 of any team and on the 1st paring on quite a few.

Quote:
Yeah, I'll agree with this. I'm trying to take the emotion out of it, and look at it from a hockey standpoint, that's all. I don' think it's fair to call him an 'elite shot blocker' as others have noted, until he has done so for a few more years. His totals were a lot higher this year than normal.
I'm sorry, but while gorges is smaller... He still hits (136) and is an elite shot blocker (Last year had his injury and the year before that he was 12th in the league, and the year before that 16th)

Old
06-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

Quote:
I'm betting they would, as much as I like him Volchenkov's style of play is really starting to take a toll on his body, he's falling apart right infront of our eyes.

Old
06-02-2012, 09:00 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Parise Brodeur and co also because they sucked ass last year.
Very true, I wonder if they too, also lost over 400 man games to injuries?

The injuries are not an excuse, but a fact, and we were not as bad a team as our record indicated...the bonus of last year is, we get a # 3 pick which should help for many years ahead...

Old
06-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Stop making it sound like Gorges is some legendary character player, with qualities that no other player in this league could possibly possess. He's a good team player that fills a role nicely, just like any other dman asked to do the same.... he's expensive, and not that special..

Hey, but I suppose his apparent love of playing here should cancel out his other shortcomings for a 4 million dollar dman who can't produce a lot of points, and isn't very dominant physically .. and isn't going to scare anyone out there...

Ah summer time on the Habs forum... never gets dull
You seem to think dominant physically means throwing huge body check a la Emelin which is not. Gorges while not being big physically but is extremely efficient using his whole body to keep the opponent in the perimeter. He also rarely gets beat one on one or make any defensive mistake.

I guess you rather have the meanie Komisarek and 40 pts soft Kaberle in your d-squad. One physical, the other produces a lot of points. Best defensive duo ever!!

Old
06-02-2012, 11:32 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
That wasn't the discussion... at all. The discussion was how throwaway shotblocking defensive defensemen like Gorges and Volchenkov are. That you can pick one up at any time and there's no point in spending money on them. Nor is it important to keep them.

Old
06-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
That wasn't the discussion... at all. The discussion was how throwaway shotblocking defensive defensemen like Gorges and Volchenkov are. That you can pick one up at any time and there's no point in spending money on them. Nor is it important to keep them.
That wasn't the discussion either, try and keep up. I said Gorges was replaceable, and overrated by a lot of fans. I never said those types of players weren't important, I never said Josh wasn't either.

Old
06-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Domenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Nice contribution there Kimota, did you watch any games this season? Gorges was the first line d-man for a reason, he's an asset and at good value. It doesn't matter where we ended up in the standings, he's still a top-pairing d-man.
He's a good asset, but he stopped being a good value once he signed his deal.

Old
06-02-2012, 01:26 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
Please explain to me how a top pairing D making less than $4m a year is not a good value?

Old
06-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Lemons

Quote:
Thank heavens you are not a GM.

Less than 4 million for a perrennial shot block leader, + player, potential captain? Not to mention the character he brings into the locker room?

Georges is the part of the core of the team. Its players like him who win you games in the playoffs.

Old
06-02-2012, 03:11 PM
poetryinmotion

Gorges has GREAT value. Any team would be lucky to have a player like him at his current cap hit.

Old
06-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
Thank heavens you are not a GM.

Less than 4 million for a perrennial shot block leader, + player, potential captain? Not to mention the character he brings into the locker room?

Georges is the part of the core of the team. Its players like him who win you games in the playoffs.
I agree with your opinion but really , he's been on our team how long?

Old
06-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
He is paid what he's worth. Just a bit of research on players like Gorges, seeing what they're making, proves it. Starting with Mike Komisarek... Paul Martin... Keith Ballard... just to name a few.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:21 PM

How much money does that cyber predator give HF admins to have his own rumour thread when all the other rumours get deleted ASAP?

No hate, just curious. He must be ballin'.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Jigger77

Can't believe how some people think Gorges is easily replaceable. Hell I'd give him the C personally without hesitation. You have to look passed skill set and look at his approach and pure dedication to the team. He's exactly what every scout hopes to land. Pretty much a home run in terms of dedication to hockey and team first kind of guy.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Can't believe how some people think Gorges is easily replaceable. Hell I'd give him the C personally without hesitation. You have to look passed skill set and look at his approach and pure dedication to the team. He's exactly what every scout hopes to land. Pretty much a home run in terms of dedication to hockey and team first kind of guy.
Gorges is a keeper. Unfortunately some people only judge a defenceman by the number of points he gets. They fail to see the defensive side and the small things that make him a very good player and a great teammate.

Warrior. Give me a player like that before some more skilled player with no heart that disappears in the playoffs.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
He's actually not. The only reason he was on the top pairing unit was because Markov was out most of the season. On a regular basis, he is the 2nd-3rd pairing guy that finds himself working the first wave of the PK unit and shutting down the opposition's top line.

Closed Thread