HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2012, 04:15 AM
Fifthgear

vCash: 500
Morgan Ellis (Montreal Canadiens round 4 #117 overall 2010 NHL Entry Draft)

This year he has played 44 games (QMJHL) and has 12 G 27 A for 39 PTS. I want to know your thoughts about this defenseman that Montreal drafted in 2010. Has somebody watched him play? What kind of a player is he?

2011-12 Cape Breton Screaming Eagles
QMJHL 34 7 18 25 18 -3
2011-12 Shawinigan Cataractes
QMJHL 10 5 9 14 13 13

Old
02-02-2012, 06:19 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Bigger Josh Gorges with more offense. A.k.a. going to make the NHL and be underrated for 3 years then become hella overrated.

Old
02-02-2012, 06:31 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Bigger Josh Gorges with more offense. A.k.a. going to make the NHL and be underrated for 3 years then become hella overrated.
More like Gorges lite........people here need to look at Gorges junior stats

Old
02-02-2012, 06:38 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Josh is overrated? I guess by some maybe I see him as a solid top 4 guy nothing more, nothing less. I think there are a lot of teams out there that would like him in the top 4 so unless someone is calling him an amazing top pairing guy that can lead a team on his own, I don't see him as overrated.

Old
02-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
More like Gorges lite........people here need to look at Gorges junior stats
Gorges had big numbers at 18 when he had a good offensive team. Before going to Shawinigan Ellis played with Cape Breton on a very crappy offensive team so it affected his numbers, since going to Shawinigan he has 14 points in 10 games and +13. I think in terms of skill and character they are even. Ellis is bigger, RH shot and a bit more mobile.

Old
02-02-2012, 07:52 AM

Morgan Ellis has been a dominating force in the Q this year, even with a pretty weak Cape Breton team. Now that he is in Shawinigan, he is gonna take in some much needed playoffs/Memorial Cup experience with hopefully what will become a champion team.

He is big but very fluid on the ice, plays a smart defensive game and has a huge shot from the point. Great offensive instinct, and doesn't mind the physical play.

I could see him being a solid #4 or #5 in the NHL. A guy that doesn't hurt you, plays a sound defensive game, can fill in on the PP and PK and can put up around 30/35 points per year.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Undertakerqc

This guy is the best D in the Q this year in my opinion. Even better then Gormley. This guy is a steal.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Fifthgear

I've seen a couple of videos in youtube, this guy seems really good! Solid as a rock!

Old
02-02-2012, 08:24 AM
neofury*

I've only ever heard great things about this kid but I've never once seen him play. That being said judging from peoples reactions regarding him being a steal, I'm quite excited to see him in Hamilton.

Any idea if he'll be there next year? Hamilton is awful this year and next year I think they'll be getting an influx or talent.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I've only ever heard great things about this kid but I've never once seen him play. That being said judging from peoples reactions regarding him being a steal, I'm quite excited to see him in Hamilton.

Any idea if he'll be there next year? Hamilton is awful this year and next year I think they'll be getting an influx or talent.
He's pretty much a lock for Hamilton unless he has a monster camp and makes the big team.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:27 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
He looked solid in the pre-season with the Habs. Makes the safe play and avoids mistakes.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Protest the Hero

Whitesnake's reports on him always intrigued me, but finally watching him in the pre-season this year with Montreal really opened my eyes. He was just so calm in the defensive zone, and carried the puck easily up the ice, not as quick as Subban/Beaulieu do it though.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:12 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post

Do you have a link confirming he injured his knee? Trevor is/was unaware of it. BTW - TT says lots of people have been raving about Holland - and think we picked up a very solid prospect.
No but the person that told me said Quailer updated his twitter that he was getting an MRI. (i don't follow twitter as it's blocked at my work).

Good to hear on Holland.

Have you heard anything on Colin Sullivan and where he will play next year? From what I was told, Yale wanted him to play in the USHL next year and his family wanted him in Yale in the fall but they don't have room for him so he decommitted. I'm wondering where he ends up.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Halifaxhab*

I have watched him live many times and the comparisons to Gorges are pretty close. He plays a similar defensive game, has leadership qualities and is very vocal on the ice.

There are some differences though. Ellis is bigger, is very agressive in front of the net and has a higher offensive upside (think more along the lines of a steady 25-35pt dman).

Basically he was a steal in the (late) 4th round

Old
02-02-2012, 10:38 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Good to hear about Holland, any idea of what they see him as? I hope NHL potential fringe 3rd liner solid 4th?

Old
02-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I have watched him live many times and the comparisons to Gorges are pretty close. He plays a similar defensive game, has leadership qualities and is very vocal on the ice.

There are some differences though. Ellis is bigger, is very agressive in front of the net and has a higher offensive upside (think more along the lines of a steady 25-35pt dman).

Basically he was a steal in the (late) 4th round
Yup, totally agreed, and your "scouting report" on him looks pretty bang on, too. Impressive to see the little offensive outburst he has had since joining Shawinigan.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Andy

I posted this two days ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Ellis Ellis Ellis!

I love this kid. I can't wait to see how he does next year. I hope he can pack on a few pounds for training camp. Yah I know he won't be a superstar, but I like his style of D-men.
lol. I love this kid. Like I said here, I know he won't be a superstar, but I love d-men like him and he's developing quite well. I hope he can crack the nhl roster by the end of next season.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Mathieu Carle looked like a monster in the Q his year after the draft.

Let's manage expectations please.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Mathieu Carle looked like a monster in the Q his year after the draft.

Let's manage expectations please.
Carle was drafted as an offensive d-man. I thought we drafted him too early, he piled up points in Bathurst but had Perreault and Beauregard on a nasty PP. Ellis was drafted as a defensive d-man who can chip in some offense.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
No but the person that told me said Quailer updated his twitter that he was getting an MRI. (i don't follow twitter as it's blocked at my work).

Good to hear on Holland.

Have you heard anything on Colin Sullivan and where he will play next year? From what I was told, Yale wanted him to play in the USHL next year and his family wanted him in Yale in the fall but they don't have room for him so he decommitted. I'm wondering where he ends up.
http://twitter.com/quailpants

that's as close as I could find for a Steve Quailer Twitter.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I spoke to a contact in the Calgary organisation and they said though they drafted him in round 7 they saw him as a 2nd or 3rd round calibre prospect. Part of the reason they chose him over others in the trade is that he is unsigned and will probably cost a lot more than a usual 7th round pick on his ELC.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Carle was drafted as an offensive d-man. I thought we drafted him too early, he piled up points in Bathurst but had Perreault and Beauregard on a nasty PP. Ellis was drafted as a defensive d-man who can chip in some offense.
He was also on pace for a ridiculous amount of points his last season before the R-N trade. Something like 90 some iirc.

This happens every single time a mid-to-late round pick starts doing something good, people start pimping them.

Look at what happened to Avtsin.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
He was also on pace for a ridiculous amount of points his last season before the R-N trade. Something like 90 some iirc.

This happens every single time a mid-to-late round pick starts doing something good, people start pimping them.

Look at what happened to Avtsin.
We do have a history of late round steals...SK Markov Halak Plekanec Ryder Grabovsky Streit Clark Robida Vokoun Tucker Savage Conroy

Avtsin looked good in practise not in actual games.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
We do have a history of late round steals...SK Markov Halak Plekanec Ryder Grabovsky Streit Clark Robida Vokoun Tucker Savage Conroy

Avtsin looked good in practise not in actual games.
Avtsin had a great year in Russia then fizzled out here.

And that late round history doesn't make these picks turn into blue-chippers. Milroy, Locke, D'Agostini (he actually turned out pretty well once he got out of here) amongst (many) others really didn't meet the ridiculous expectations people put on them during their junior years (D'Agostini was during the Dogs' cup run iirc).

Prospects are fun to follow and everything. But it's unwise to start putting too much into it until they start playing pro.

Comparing him to Gorges and talking about him playing in the NHL (maybe as soon as next year) is way, way too quick.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Stephaaane

I've watch him play 3 games since he's been traded to Shawi. His decision making with the puck, in the QJMHL, is almost perfect. He delivers some good hit, good first pass, a bit above average shot. His partner on D is Gormley and Ellis has outplayed him since the two are playing together (maybe gormley is fatigue or injured, nonetheless, he's outplaying G).

Closed Thread